It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
There's nothing to be gained by them making the playoffs - there's no arguing against that -

I think there is. Especially if you're enjoying their 2-0 series lead over the top seed.

:lol:

Right. It's funny that people get so into sports analysis they miss the most basic aspects of sports fandom.

I agree with this. My enjoyment of sports and teams often has little to do with winning championships. I want my team to win but I can take pleasure in losing too if i'm being entertained. Jordan dropping 63 on Boston was one such moment. Bulls were an 8th seed with a losing record and virtually no shot of beating Boston. But damn for 3 1/2 hrs on a Sunday afternoon if I wasn't entertained by one of the memorable games of my life. Bulls had no chance of winning a championship yet I still felt fulfilled as a sports fan.

Same with Jordan's shot over Ehlo. Bulls weren't going to win anything yet it didn't much matter because they were able to entertain anyway.

I've been entertained by the Sox in much the same way over the years. Late 80's Early 90's Sox baseball were among the better years I've had as a sports fan.

The notion that you shouldn't pay attention unless your team is a championship contender is something that has always been hard for me to grasp. I hate fair weather fans. Nothing worse to me as a fan than that. If that's your team that's your team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i became an "adult" in 1998. the wolverines won a national title and the bulls won the last title around that time. i went to school and finally joined the adult world in 2003. since then as a cubs/bulls/bills/mich fan, i've experienced 0 championships during that period (the period i feel i could truly enjoy such a feat) up until the cubs did it last year. i have enjoyed sports that entire time. the cubs won it. i went crazy as most of us did. after about a day, everything went back to normal. now who gives a shit. a guy at work was like, you are just getting apathetic. but i'm not. i still enjoy a ton of sports moments. but ultimately, now that i've experienced what my team winning it all is like, i realize outside of rubbing it in a few guys faces for aa few days, the fun/extraordinary sports moments are what makes sports for me. not hoisting a trophy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Bernsie's radio shtick is all that it is. Championships only is a pathetic way to go about fandom. In each league there are about 30 teams and in other sports like Nascar or Golf hundreds of participants. Only one per year in each wins the crown. You will have a pathetic life if you take the Bernsie route.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
hnd wrote:
i became an "adult" in 1998. the wolverines won a national title and the bulls won the last title around that time. i went to school and finally joined the adult world in 2003. since then as a cubs/bulls/bills/mich fan, i've experienced 0 championships during that period (the period i feel i could truly enjoy such a feat) up until the cubs did it last year. i have enjoyed sports that entire time. the cubs won it. i went crazy as most of us did. after about a day, everything went back to normal. now who gives a shit. a guy at work was like, you are just getting apathetic. but i'm not. i still enjoy a ton of sports moments. but ultimately, now that i've experienced what my team winning it all is like, i realize outside of rubbing it in a few guys faces for aa few days, the fun/extraordinary sports moments are what makes sports for me. not hoisting a trophy.

My best memories of sports are sitting around watching or going to games with my family and going crazy. It's always been an outlet for my family to bond and cheer together. The Cubs championship was awesome, but I think there's a part of me that will always regret not watching it with my family. It would have been impossible, but that would have been the ultimate experience, even if the Cubs had lost. When one says that only championships matter, you're basically turning sports into some sort of science, and it's not. It is an emotional outlet which is much more art than science.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
leashyourkids wrote:
hnd wrote:

My best memories of sports are sitting around watching or going to games with my family and going crazy. It's always been an outlet for my family to bond and cheer together. The Cubs championship was awesome, but I think there's a part of me that will always regret not watching it with my family. It would have been impossible, but that would have been the ultimate experience, even if the Cubs had lost. When one says that only championships matter, you're basically turning sports into some sort of science, and it's not. It is an emotional outlet which is much more art than science.

when the cubs won i was watching the game with some friends. my wife said she was going to bed (doesn't care) and my 3 girls were def already in bed. when it went into extras my wife put on fb that she can't sleep because she's sitting there watching the game nervously. she knew how important it was to me and at that moment i regretted not staying home, keeping the kids awake and making them all watch it with me as a family.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
hnd wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
hnd wrote:

when the cubs won i was watching the game with some friends. my wife said she was going to bed (doesn't care) and my 3 girls were def already in bed. when it went into extras my wife put on fb that she can't sleep because she's sitting there watching the game nervously. she knew how important it was to me and at that moment i regretted not staying home, keeping the kids awake and making them all watch it with me as a family.

My wife went to bed in disgust. I woke her up when Davis hit the home run. Alas, the $184,000,000 rain delay speech rendered my joy temporary.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My wife went to bed in disgust. I woke her up when Davis hit the home run. Alas, the $184,000,000 rain delay speech rendered my joy temporary.

My wife pulled the new age Cubbie fan crap that night. She did not expect the responses she got from my sons, or my attendant laughter.