It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am 
1000 CLUB

This kind of just hit me. Haven't heard him on the station this year. Mitch got sick of him. Thank God. Steve Stone, despite being in baseball his entire life, is horrible at talking baseball.

Maybe this was Bernstein's call. Because Stone loves to talk about pitchers wins and RBIs. Which are stupid stats. :roll: So Bernstein fired Stone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Sox anything is not allowed on WCUB.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:31 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Sox anything is not allowed on WCUB.

Amazing how this thing did a 180 from WSOX to WCUB. I always hated when they aired White Sox Weekly, Pre & Post Sox games...and of course the Sox games themselves. Then of course,...march out Steve Stone as the baseball expert and he would take shot-after-shot at the Cubs. Some of it on target...but some just snarky Stone comments.

So practically everyone and anyone ever associated with the Cubs seems to be getting a WS ring / jewelry. Guess Steve Stone wasn't on that list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

The weird thing with Stone was the Score called him their baseball expert and he commented on the Cubs as much as the Sox. Even though he rarely was able to watch a Cubs game. Probably caught some of the day games. But I would say he couldn't see 90% of their games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I've always liked Stone. Time has not been kind to him and a lot of Cub fans have a strange blind spot w/r/t him. He was/is a good announcer. If he had just retired and said the things he did about the Cubs, I think the heat he got would have been far less. But since he got fired and jumped to the Sox he magically became a Cub hater? Bullshit. It was timing. That 2004 team was full of entitled turds and he called them out for it. I'm still a fan and would take him back in a second.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Stoney is decent, but his act is a little tired. It doesn't bother me that he announces for the Sox. The Cubs treated him like crap at the end with players calling up the booth and reportedly harassing him on team transportation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I've always liked Stone. Time has not been kind to him and a lot of Cub fans have a strange blind spot w/r/t him. He was/is a good announcer. If he had just retired and said the things he did about the Cubs, I think the heat he got would have been far less. But since he got fired and jumped to the Sox he magically became a Cub hater? Bullshit. It was timing. That 2004 team was full of entitled turds and he called them out for it. I'm still a fan and would take him back in a second.

Yeah. The 2004 Cubs were ass holes to him. But Stone is also an ass hole. Let's not forget that. We probably haven't heard all the off camera stories of him being a dick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:41 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Yeah. The 2004 Cubs were ass holes to him. But Stone is also an ass hole. Let's not forget that. We probably haven't heard all the off camera stories of him being a dick.

So he was fine for 20 years and Cub fans loved him but after one season he's an asshole?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

No. I'm saying he's probably always been an ass hole. Probably when he started with the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 pm 

I always liked Stone and thought it was crazy when the Cubs players were complaining about him. Ridiculous. I still think he is decent color guy for the Sox. The only real issue I had / have with him...Is that when he was no longer with the Cubs, he took every chance to take shots at them via his "Baseball Expert" role with the Score. As I stated earlier...some of those were justified shots, so I get that,...but a lot of it came off with a "jealous ex" vibe to it. But that Cubs team complaining about Stone's criticism of them...what a joke and what a bunch of babies. No wonder they sucked!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

The move saves the station about $100,000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

walkrman5 wrote:
I always liked Stone and thought it was crazy when the Cubs players were complaining about him. Ridiculous. I still think he is decent color guy for the Sox. The only real issue I had / have with him...Is that when he was no longer with the Cubs, he took every chance to take shots at them via his "Baseball Expert" role with the Score. As I stated earlier...some of those were justified shots, so I get that,...but a lot of it came off with a "jealous ex" vibe to it. But that Cubs team complaining about Stone's criticism of them...what a joke and what a bunch of babies. No wonder they sucked!

Stone and Hub are similar. Both bitter against their former teams cuz they fired them.

Hub went from a Bears ass licker to a Bears basher the day he got fired. Like Stone, some was justified. Some was just out of hate. It's just where was the justified bashing when Hub was working for the team?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Score is doomed wrote:

Are you kidding? That's what Stone got for his 4 or 5 appearances per week on the various shows. For 6 months? Really?

That's just pissing away money. No way the station made that back from his dumb ass.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Score is doomed wrote:

Are you kidding? That's what Stone got for his 4 or 5 appearances per week on the various shows. For 6 months? Really?

That's just pissing away money. No way the station made that back from his dumb ass.

Yep. Last year, if I remember correctly, he held out and finally signed and the article mentioned his 6 figure amount.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't get why radio stations do that when they get expert writers to come on for free as guests. Just to promote their blog or website.

So I guess you're saying Kasper gets that from the SCORE. He's still on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
walkrman5 wrote:

Agree with this .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
I don't get why radio stations do that when they get expert writers to come on for free as guests. Just to promote their blog or website.

So I guess you're saying Kasper gets that from the SCORE. He's still on.

Pretty sure he is part of the Cubs deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Yeah, maybe it's because I'm not a fan of either team but I've never understood when people say he started ripping on the Cubs the moment he became a Sox announcer. I just don't hear it and the guy is a great listen. I think most teams in the league would be better off if they replaced their guy with Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:18 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm not a fan of either team but I've never understood when people say he started ripping on the Cubs the moment he became a Sox announcer.

The only people that did this were the ones who viewed everything in Cubbieland with their Cubbie Blue Blinders on. Very sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:21 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm not a fan of either team but I've never understood when people say he started ripping on the Cubs the moment he became a Sox announcer.

The only people that did this were the ones who viewed everything in Cubbieland with their Cubbie Blue Blinders on. Very sad.

Its hard to say that he came off bitter and turned into a hater after he left the Cubs when he was fired for being critical of the team while still employed with them. I've never gotten the criticism.

Now the Hub stuff...that I get. It would be like ZZ suddenly breaking bad on the Bears the second he was fired.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

Its hard to say that he came off bitter and turned into a hater after he left the Cubs when he was fired for being critical of the team while still employed with them. I've never gotten the criticism.

Now the Hub stuff...that I get. It would be like ZZ suddenly breaking bad on the Bears the second he was fired.

Hub sucks. Always has. Always will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 pm 

Steve came off bitter for sure. He had every right to be upset, but it's not a good look from an expert analyst. As a fan of the team, it reduces the value of his opinion because you assume he's biased.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:28 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Steve came off bitter for sure. He had every right to be upset, but it's not a good look from an expert analyst. As a fan of the team, it reduces the value of his opinion because you assume he's biased.

Speaking of Cubbie Blue Colored Glasses....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 pm 

denisdman wrote:

I don't think so. I think people projected their feelings on that one. Every critique was met with "Durr, he wishes he was still with the Cubbies!! Looser!!"

There was plenty to critique, 07 and 08 was a house of cards and we saw it fall down before our eyes. The plan has obviously worked but who knew what would happen for sure 4 or 5 years ago. You didn't have to take a Pasta-esque stand against it to question some of the moves. Anyone who didn't have critique or questions about the plan probably wouldn't be a good media personality to have on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:35 pm 

First off, I am pretty objective on Cubs and Sox matters. You don't see me making ridiculous trolling comments aimed at Sox fans.

Stone changed a lot after leaving the Cubs. His analysis had an air of revenge in it. I don't hear that from guys like Ozzie when he talks about the White Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:43 pm 

denisdman wrote:
First off, I am pretty objective on Cubs and Sox matters. You don't see me making ridiculous trolling comments aimed at Sox fans.

Stone changed a lot after leaving the Cubs. His analysis had an air of revenge in it. I don't hear that from guys like Ozzie when he talks about the White Sox.

Because Ozzie doesn't say anything. Most of the guys they put on air don't say anything. Stone said what he thought and was fired for it and then accused of being spiteful about it when he said similar things later on. Doesn't add up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Tortorice's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

Hub sucks. Always has. Always will.

Hub is easily the worst "expert" they regularly have on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Hub sucks.

Murph wrote:
Heyyyyyyyyy ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Agree 100%. The Cubs still haven't come close to replacing him with someone half as good. Sad to see him slumming with a 4th-tier franchise. There are probably some AAA teams that would be better color jobs.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I've always wanted to like Steve Stone but just can't bring myself to. People always bragged about him like he was God's gift, and I'll admit he is knowledgeable, especially when it comes to pitching... but his smarmy and condescending tone coupled with his lack of personality makes him unlikeable to me regardless of any talent or knowledge he has.

In other words, he's Curious Hair.