It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Dear lord, can you imagine if the Cubs are a .500 team this year!??!!? The only thing keeping the ratings from an all out collapse are the Cubs. Without them this station is in trouble! Warning! Turn the Drudge siren on!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Not long ago it was the first place I'd go to when I wanted an opinion on Chicago sports, now it's the last. They have a staff full of sports lightweights who have been led to believe they are engaging in some form of high-brow sports talk when the reality is they have their jobs because they work cheap. Very cheap.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
This thread sucks. Please delete mods.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
The entire first inning of every Cubs radio broadcast is almost entirely live reads by Pat Hughes, I'm sure they'll ride the hype of the World Series trophy to a profit.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
The entire first inning of every Cubs radio broadcast is almost entirely live reads by Pat Hughes, I'm sure they'll ride the hype of the World Series trophy to a profit.

Does he take off two innings a game now to compensate? First he has the grueling task of talking in a conversational tone for three hours 162 days out of the year, and now this? Very unfair!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's

I'll bet they don't.

They lost $8M on the Cubs last year. In or out on the bet JLN.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 am 

Seacrest wrote:

I'll bet they don't.

Because why?

They are paying the Cubs too much?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Don't know why I just thought of this pet peeve, but why does WSCR have that separate announcer who introduces the sponsors right before and after Cubs' games? It seems unnecessary to have him do it when you've got many others who could do the same thing, and personally, every time I hear him it subconsciously makes me think there is a Sox game coming on, as he was the voice doing it when the Sox were on WSCR (Gene Honda?).

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:13 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Don't know why I just thought of this pet peeve, but why does WSCR have that separate announcer who introduces the sponsors right before and after Cubs' games? It seems unnecessary to have him do it when you've got many others who could do the same thing, and personally, every time I hear him it subconsciously makes me think there is a Sox game coming on, as he was the voice doing it when the Sox were on WSCR (Gene Honda?).

The announcer they use now is pretty ubiquitous among CBS Radio properties, at least in this area. He does EVERYTHING, and even has some spots on CSN. Honda only did a few things for Sox radio broadcasts.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Cashman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I'll bet they don't.

Because why?

Pretty much this. They were bidding against themselves, overpaid, and CBS Radio then shitcanned the executive who did the deal.

Adding the Cubs to 670 increased revenue by $2MM against rights costs of $10MM per year.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I'll bet they don't.

Because why?

Pretty much this. They were bidding against themselves, overpaid, and CBS Radio then shitcanned the executive who did the deal.

Adding the Cubs to 670 increased revenue by $2MM against rights costs of $10MM per year.

$10M plus engineering, production and talent costs.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Are you thinking of Wayne Messmer? I think it's a nice touch to use him.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

If the Blackhawks wanted to hit a PR homerun, they'd tell Jim thanks for the service and bring back Wayne.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Do you really think the Cubs tepid start is having any impact currently on ad revenue?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Ron Coomer's "Seventh Inning Social Justice Stretch" sponsored by the Southern Poverty Law Center must be killing the ratings.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

If the Blackhawks wanted to hit a PR homerun, they'd tell Jim thanks for the service and bring back Wayne.

I have a friend that looked at me like I had three heads when I said Messmer blew Cornelison away back in the day. Especially his O, Canada. He lost a bit after the shooting and with age obviously but nostalgia wins for me there. He also had the better building to sing in however.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

it would be a twitter meltdown for a week while everyone not in the know asks "who da fuck is wayne mezzmer?" only to be informed he used to be THE guy.

...also, Jim is kind of overrated.

id trade cheering during the anthem for actual crowd enthusiasm during the game at other moments than goals scored

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
id trade cheering during the anthem for actual crowd enthusiasm during the game at other moments than goals scored

No kidding. All it takes is to be down one goal and it's the Sadhouse on Madison. Dead silent.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
It's a morgue in there when they get down. Building acoustics don't help but neither do fans that are unenthused.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm 

I get all the shit for being doom-and-gloom but a second-period 1-0 Oilers lead in 2015 was enough to make 22,000 people think their homes burned down.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Curious Hair wrote:
I get all the shit for being doom-and-gloom but a second-period 1-0 Oilers lead in 2015 was enough to make 22,000 people think their homes burned down.

I think everyone's cool with shitting on a "certain percentage" of Hawks fans.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
No kidding. All it takes is to be down one goal and it's the Sadhouse on Madison. Dead silent.

This is hilarious coming from you. When the other team scores one goal you are proclaiming the game and series over.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This is hilarious coming from you. When the other team scores one goal you are proclaiming the game and series over.

You have a point. Old curious is like he is in a bad relationship.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I think everyone's cool with shitting on a "certain percentage" of Hawks fans.

Score On-Air Personalities wrote:
100%