It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Yes Grandma Trivia and What's On are definitely soul-moving segments.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Wow. Goff cut his teeth in this business producing a show that was predicated on not taking itself too seriously, and made fun of others in the business for taking themselves too seriously. Now he is posting things about his "talent" and how he "moves your soul". He's officially jumped the shark of sports-talk radio.

He's always taken himself too seriously. When I said he likes LeBron James so much because he sees himself as the LeBron James of talking about sports on the radio, I wasn't entirely joking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Wow. Goff cut his teeth in this business producing a show that was predicated on not taking itself too seriously, and made fun of others in the business for taking themselves too seriously. Now he is posting things about his "talent" and how he "moves your soul". He's officially jumped the shark of sports-talk radio.

He's always taken himself too seriously. When I said he likes LeBron James so much because he sees himself as the LeBron James of talking about sports on the radio, I wasn't entirely joking.

Consecutive 2.2 and 2.1 shares while losing the key demo to guys who "don't move anything in your soul" is like blowing a 3-1 series lead.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Quote:
If y'all wanna stay anywhere close to the other station in ratings I'd stay on FB. #justsaying

Jason Goff wrote:
Watch this, guys. What are the ratings? Which demographic are we measured with? Are women included? Dare you to answer these correctly.

Quote:
Ratings are what your show is measured by prolly PPM since you are in a bigger market. Basically something to show advertisers and say hey we are good buy something with us. Also you having a sports show would probably have a demo of 18-55 men but women are included as well if your smart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:20 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Quote:
If y'all wanna stay anywhere close to the other station in ratings I'd stay on FB. #justsaying

Jason Goff wrote:
Watch this, guys. What are the ratings? Which demographic are we measured with? Are women included? Dare you to answer these correctly.

Quote:
Ratings are what your show is measured by prolly PPM since you are in a bigger market. Basically something to show advertisers and say hey we are good buy something with us. Also you having a sports show would probably have a demo of 18-55 men but women are included as well if your smart.

They did a 3.7 in April with the Cubs starting up. Guarantee you that is the number he's going to cling to, as if the near-2.0's never happened. Or he's going to pride the station on winning the women's demo for sports talk radio. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

Jason Goff wrote:
Watch this, guys. What are the ratings? Which demographic are we measured with? Are women included?

Julie DiCaro wrote:
DAAAAA they'd BETTER be or you're CLEARLY mansplaining?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
The Cub is an unprofitable relationship for 670.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I'm sure he had a contract when he got fired in Atlanta as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:

You're right. There is something to what you're saying. There was some modesty to Goff before he went to Atlanta. But since he came back, Jason Goff has fallen madly in love with Jason Goff. He's now one of those types. Normally those types are white people. Brothers aren't self-loving d-bags. Goff once said that. Pre Atlanta. Now he has become what he once despised. It's a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yes Grandma Trivia and What's On are definitely soul-moving segments.

What's On? is the absolute worst, laziest, POS segment I have ever listened to...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sometimes when Goff goes into those laughing fits over nothing, at that moment, I would sell my soul to the devil for him to stop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:50 pm 

Sounds like Laffy worked his way into getting some Mattress Firm paper...

He can't wait for the adjustable base to get delivered. I'm just sad I won't be able to read about it on FB.

...Good Day...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
ChiliDavisEyes wrote:
Sounds like Laffy worked his way into getting some Mattress Firm paper...

He can't wait for the adjustable base to get delivered. I'm just sad I won't be able to read about it on FB.

...Good Day...

The adjustable base helps move your soul

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Was he saying he got a new 3 year deal or it was a 3 year when he started with Spiegs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Getting back to Goff's "I move your soul" comment. You have to have some type of a massive ego to say that.

Christ, even Bob Costas wouldn't say that and nobody has a bigger ego than him. Well, I guess Goff does.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Was he saying he got a new 3 year deal or it was a 3 year when he started with Spiegs?

No. When he got back to the SCORE it was a 1 year deal with a SCORE option for a 2nd year. They picked up year 2. Now he done got new paper apparently. A 3 year deal. It started in the winter cuz that's when his option came up last year.

Goff: I'm rich, bitches!!!!! Fuck moving your soul. I'm gonna fuckin' take it.

CFMB: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
It is pretty easy to hear that Goff is more confident on air. He has been pretty aggressive in explanations/opinions. Not angry, just feeling it...

But yeah, no soul movement. Don't forget that there are two choices for Chicago centric sports radio at any given time. Mostly a lesser of two evils.

Chicken Salad or Tuna Salad...when all I really want is a ham sammich.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
It is pretty easy to hear that Goff is more confident on air. He has been pretty aggressive in explanations/opinions. Not angry, just feeling it...

But yeah, no soul movement. Don't forget that there are two choices for Chicago centric sports radio at any given time. Mostly a lesser of two evils.

There's a reason PMT from the guys at Barstool is so widely successful (aside from them being good and funny). MANY are growing tired of SJW radio (WSCR) and banal sports take factories (CBS Radio syndicated shows, national ESPN stuff), and as a result there's a growing market for a sports-talk/hot-talk fusion. For awhile program directors thought the rock/sports-talk format was too good to be true (hello WDRV and Mac), and as it turns out it was. Maybe this is the ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods

There's a reason PMT from the guys at Barstool is so widely successful (aside from them being good and funny). MANY are growing tired of SJW radio (WSCR) and banal sports take factories (CBS Radio syndicated shows, national ESPN stuff), and as a result there's a growing market for a sports-talk/hot-talk fusion. For awhile program directors thought the rock/sports-talk format was too good to be true (hello WDRV and Mac), and as it turns out it was. Maybe this is the ticket.

Seriously this. I used to consume hours of 670 a day. Now I can say I've consumed less than 3 hours of it during this entire calendar year.

As I alluded to in the 'what podcasts are you listening to' thread, those podcasts have taken over my listening time. PMT is appointment listening at this point. How can you not enjoy their great interviews and the stunts they pull such as the Vanny Woodhead saga, or PFT leaving his fucking wallet at Verizon Center to try to un-jinx the Caps. Their Nate Silver interview was gold when PFT asked him if he could provide sabermetrics for dog fighting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I don't listen nearly as much as in years past. I was in a vehicle for probably 9 hours today. In the past that would have mean 6 hours of sports radio, mostly the Score. Was probably down to an hour today and it was off fast because I'm not interested in the NBA finals that much. And that's fine, there will be other days that I listen more but it did strike me today that it's just not first option anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Seriously this. I used to consume hours of 670 a day. Now I can say I've consumed less than 3 hours of it during this entire calendar year.

As I alluded to in the 'what podcasts are you listening to' thread, those podcasts have taken over my listening time. PMT is appointment listening at this point. How can you not enjoy their great interviews and the stunts they pull such as the Vanny Woodhead saga, or PFT leaving his fucking wallet at Verizon Center to try to un-jinx the Caps. Their Nate Silver interview was gold when PFT asked him if he could provide sabermetrics for dog fighting.

And by "Hot talk" I don't mean Brian and Stewie's rendition of shock jock radio on Family Guy, just more of a fun, lighthearted, at times raunchy show with sports as a jumping off point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 pm 

I wish CBS had tried to rehabilitate CKG one more time. Instead, they made it a glorified translator of 780 because they were sweatin' FM News 101. Well, at least Rod saved them some money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:41 pm 

Come to think of it, and I'm not totally sure because it was just before my time, but wasn't the original botched-launch WMVP an attempt at mixing hot-talk with sports? The interregnum between LoopAM1000 and ESPN 1000 was a complete scatterbrained mess but I'm pretty sure there was some point at which they had Steve Dahl, Bruce Wolf, Richard Roeper, and Steve Cochran, but also sports. I think they tried to go all-sports at first but then reeled back on it a little.

At the risk of self-cannibalization, CBS could have used CKG as kind of the Score's ESPN2, where they go for a younger demo and let guys try different stuff, buuuut

1) costs money

2) the idea of a "younger, hipper" alternative to the Score is tying my brain into knots, because the current Score is an AM stick (does anyone under age 30 even know AM exists?) with middle-aged men who co-opt the rhetoric of a social-justice movement led by college students and twentysomethings who live on Twitter. What would you do here? move Deadspin Radio to FM and remand the AM to Mac and North? Keep Senor, Goff, Rozner, and Spiegel on AM but make them act their age? And if "younger, hipper" sports talk is just reading Deadspin for show prep, do we want it in the first place?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:59 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Come to think of it, and I'm not totally sure because it was just before my time, but wasn't the original botched-launch WMVP an attempt at mixing hot-talk with sports? The interregnum between LoopAM1000 and ESPN 1000 was a complete scatterbrained mess but I'm pretty sure there was some point at which they had Steve Dahl, Bruce Wolf, Richard Roeper, and Steve Cochran, but also sports. I think they tried to go all-sports at first but then reeled back on it a little.

At the risk of self-cannibalization, CBS could have used CKG as kind of the Score's ESPN2, where they go for a younger demo and let guys try different stuff, buuuut

1) costs money

2) the idea of a "younger, hipper" alternative to the Score is tying my brain into knots, because the current Score is an AM stick (does anyone under age 30 even know AM exists?) with middle-aged men who co-opt the rhetoric of a social-justice movement led by college students and twentysomethings who live on Twitter. What would you do here? move Deadspin Radio to FM and remand the AM to Mac and North? Keep Senor, Goff, Rozner, and Spiegel on AM but make them act their age? And if "younger, hipper" sports talk is just reading Deadspin for show prep, do we want it in the first place?

For #2, and this would really only work in the modern technological environment, throw Score2 on a cheap AM signal for anyone that happens to find it, and try to make your bones with digital viewership (streaming radio and video on social media, podcasting) and direct advertisement. Even if you only do a .9 in PPM, your younger audience might, if you have the talent, make it worth your while to keep the lights on.

And who knows, you might find the right talent to gel and be able to do real numbers on the terrestrial side while competing at the top of podcast charts, and then you're making decent money.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:09 am 

But again, AM has always skewed older, and now it skews older than ever. You could LMA a station like 1220 out of Waukegan (skypoint, WKRS and your $5/minute spots for third-tier syndicated talkers), but no one would find you. I dare say you'd even be better off building a farm team on one of those bullshit HD subchannels; at least the audio quality would be better and you could backdoor it onto a translator if another one pops up (and because our FCC doesn't see fit to regulate the technical aspects of broadcasting, they will pop up everywhere forever) while primarily existing as a web stream.

EDIT: *I will say in defense of AM in Chicago that we've managed to dodge the obsolescence it's experiencing in other markets because of big audiences for play-by-play and the enduring primacy of WBBM and WGN's news. In markets without destination programming on heritage stations, it's as dead as a doornail. Still, it's hardly thriving, and even 890 was circling the drain for a while.

Right now the Score is somehow managing to miss the boat on both young, edgy talk and older, traditional talk (other than Mully and Hanley saving the station's bacon). There's an unserved audience for Barstool as much as there's an unserved audience for North and Murph, but hey, I heard there was a San Antonio Spurs game moving my soul the other night.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:24 am 

You just don't know true radio talent, CH. Talent which warranted a 3-year deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:

1) costs money

AM and young people that's funny. Fels was and is their youngest listener. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:14 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Trump really has made news/politics radio much more compelling radio than sports. I listen to the Score more on weekends now than weekdays

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:15 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

And by "Hot talk" I don't mean Brian and Stewie's rendition of shock jock radio on Family Guy, just more of a fun, lighthearted, at times raunchy show with sports as a jumping off point.

Mike North without the racist undertones

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
so what really people want is Monsters and Heavy Fuel? who could have known?