It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6/1 NBA Finals Preview
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 am 

Today will be NBA heavy and race heavy. Will probably get a series preview, and then Goff will break down what Lebron is feeling now that he has had his house spray painted in a hate crime. Possibly some crying as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
schmitty1121 wrote:
Today will be NBA heavy and race heavy.

Bernstein & Goff Rolling Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Today will be NBA heavy and race heavy.

Bernstein & Goff Rolling Thread

CH, can we get a Bernstein opening monologue? Something about how, now, with the recent events at LeBron's mansion in LA, this Finals series is going to act as a great commentary on society in the United States? Maybe referencing great plays, maybe a Neil Labute reference? Trying to think how Dan would mythologize a set of basketball games that haven't been played yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
CH, can we get a Bernstein opening monologue? Something about how, now, with the recent events at LeBron's mansion in LA, this Finals series is going to act as a great commentary on society in the United States? Maybe referencing great plays, maybe a Neil Labute reference? Trying to think how Dan would mythologize a set of basketball games that haven't been played yet.

"Jason, I don't know if you're familiar with a writer named Ta-Nehisi Coates, but..."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

graffiti talk started in transition. Bernstein said the same thing happened in his neighborhood when he moved in and someone spray painted a symbol. The ego on this guy...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
torch! wrote:
graffiti talk started in transition. Bernstein said the same thing happened in his neighborhood when he moved in and someone spray painted a symbol. The ego on this guy...

What symbol? A dollar sign ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
torch! wrote:

How likely is it that either Dan was the first Jewish person or that Jewish people are a rarity in his upper-class, Northshore neighborhood?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
someone sprayed a swastika on Archie Bunker's door too you know

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm 

LeBron's comments yesterday were absolutely pathetic. He compared himself to Emmitt Till, because someone supposedly spray-painted a fence on his $20 million Brentwood mansion with a naughty word. Emmitt Till's mother had an open casket so people could see the effects of racial violence. He just had the help spray paint over a fence.

This future billionaire complaining about his treatment... it's like hearing Wall Street bankers compare themselves to Holocaust victims.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

Bagels wrote:
someone sprayed a swastika on Archie Bunker's door too you know

One of the best episodes in the series.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm 

Did Dan ever see a wooden school desk that was more than 10 years old when he was growing up?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:54 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
LeBron's comments yesterday were absolutely pathetic. He compared himself to Emmitt Till, because someone supposedly spray-painted a fence on his $20 million Brentwood mansion with a naughty word. Emmitt Till's mother had an open casket so people could see the effects of racial violence. He just had the help spray paint over a fence.

This future billionaire complaining about his treatment... it's like hearing Wall Street bankers compare themselves to Holocaust victims.

The thing I see people carefully neglecting to mention is that the "house" (and it's always called a "house", not the more-apt "mansion") was empty at the time, because it is LeBron's vacation mansion. The guy has a getaway mansion, and he's concern trolling to white people about how hard his life is.

And let's not forget the times this kind of stuff turns out to be a troll-job instead of racial hatred.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 pm 

I was hoping to hear a story about how when a gentile family moved to Deerfield, someone who was in no way Dan Bernstein spray-painted their house with "I just don't know if, given the sheer surfeit of suburbs and the institutionalized luxury of buying real estate without restrictions, this is a decision to which you necessarily had to commit, though while you are not unwelcome it also wouldn't be inaccurate to clarify th -- to b. cont. when you build addition"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
there's been a lot of Schwarber talk so far...they're both really trying to parse this whole thing.

If "Babe Ruth" fails, then the execs that Dan has burnished (in some ways rightly so) take a massive hit in their perceived ability to recognize and identify talent...they're all in on him. You can hear Dan's head trying to make a narrative to excuse them ultimately.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
This finals better be good (at least all the FS1 guys are "on message" hyping it as QUITE POSSIBLY THE GREATEST FINALS OF ALL TIME) --- cuz holy shit this warriors/cavs 3: 3D thing has been a fait accompli since Durant signed with the warriors so I mean... have at it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:

"Jason, I don't know if you're familiar with a writer named Ta-Nehisi Coates, but..."

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:10 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
there's been a lot of Schwarber talk so far...they're both really trying to parse this whole thing.

If "Babe Ruth" fails, then the execs that Dan has burnished (in some ways rightly so) take a massive hit in their perceived ability to recognize and identify talent...they're all in on him. You can hear Dan's head trying to make a narrative to excuse them ultimately.

SHARK wrote:
Uhhhhh City, I think you mean "Babe FUCKING Ruth", as Dan Bernstein's "Cubs Guy" described the "husky" Kyle Schwarber as the expletive-laden version of Babe "The Bambino" Ruth's name!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Feinstein had a CBS Sports Minute today, ripping how awful it is for a person to think he's superior because he's white. How do they know the person who did it was white? Does the story disappear if surveillance shows a minority doing it as a joke? Or if someone Hispanic or Asian did it out of hate? It's terrible that someone did it, but Just something I was pondering.

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

The thing I see people carefully neglecting to mention is that the "house" (and it's always called a "house", not the more-apt "mansion") was empty at the time, because it is LeBron's vacation mansion. The guy has a getaway mansion, and he's concern trolling to white people about how hard his life is.

And let's not forget the times this kind of stuff turns out to be a troll-job instead of racial hatred.

Last edited by torch! on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm 

Lol go figure that Dan has a favorite ref (Danny Crawford)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Oh God, they're reading Chris Hayes tweets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:25 pm 

Jim Rome's CBS Sports Radio minute was on tiger woods, and he said "SEX RUINED HIS MARRIAGE...."

yeah well, call me [whatever] but I still think tiger was/is gay and the whole "insatiable nymphomaniac" thing was put out there to shut up people like me [once and for all? =]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:28 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:

Chris Hayes is bad but probably MSNBC's least bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Agreed but I don't want to hear Bernstein and Goff getting giddy about whatever he said about Lebron James' "astonishing grace."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
ZephMarshack wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Agreed but I don't want to hear Bernstein and Goff getting giddy about whatever he said about Lebron James' "astonishing grace."

Is it just me or is Bernstein's condescending veiled racism worse than just owning your hate and spraying the N word on Lebrons vacation home?

I mean both are terrible, but I just hate how Bernstein could have been cast in Get Out and just played himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:41 pm 

I cannot wait to hear about the time Dan's son, on spec, wrote and sent off a thoughtful op-ed piece for the LA Times pleading with the perpetrator of this heinous, troubling act to come forward, and telling LeBron he need not show mercy when this person comes to light.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 pm 

All the usual suspects checking in today. Looks to be a great show from front to back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
All the usual suspects checking in today. Looks to be a great show from front to back.

The haters are jealous of Goff's new paper. Bernstein wins again.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:53 pm 

Douchebag wrote:

I'm sure you will let us know how it went. You've really been at the edge of your seat filing this section with show threads the past few weeks.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:54 pm 

Dan just started to talk about Quintana's xFIP, and it became clear he has no understanding of what xFIP is without Joe Sheehan to write it for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm 

LeBron talk is imminent.