It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/06/09/ ... llegation/

A Chicago pro sports team is allowed to get it right, even if it comes after its own struggles and those of others.

Nobody knows what happened between Cubs shortstop Addison Russell and his now-estranged wife, only that a friend of the family alleged domestic abuse in no uncertain terms via social media. Russell has denied the claim, and the team turned the matter over to MLB for further investigation.

After their own difficulties managing communication upon trading for Aroldis Chapman last July, the Cubs have apparently learned from that experience in a way that informed a careful and nuanced response that took no sides in the matter, made no presumptions and avoided the all-too-common sports mistake of circling the wagons around a besieged teammate. This was a far cry from the Blackhawks’ tone-deaf press conference after the Patrick Kane rape allegations and the Bears’ ham-handed bungling of the Ray McDonald signing.

They took most of a Thursday to release a short statement after the allegation surfaced late Wednesday, but the Cubs didn’t hide. President of baseball operations Theo Epstein and manager Joe Maddon met the full media contingent, general manager Jed Hoyer joined the Bernstein and Goff Show for an extended and detailed interview and star third baseman Kris Bryant was allowed to make his scheduled appearance on the show and handled questions about Russell deftly. Other players did the same in regular open locker room.

What comes next is critical, because the decision was made to keep Russell away from the team on a day-to-day basis until more information becomes available. It’s not fair to make the team can’t play a man down for long, and a roster move could be necessitated.

Fairness marked the initial reaction by the Cubs to a troubling situation, one that will continue to need mindful management that understands not just how the words and optics affect the team but all parties involved and those paying close attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Beerdown threads are better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Fuck you Dan... I think the Blackhawks already had the news of the rape kit by the time Kane had his press conference so that was just a punishment to Kane from McDonough for putting himself in that situation with lying slut Hayley Pandolfi.

The Hawks were 100% correct not to suspend Kane a single day. This little cuck can't seem to let it go with the Hawks/Kane, even when the facts say he's wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Beerdown threads are better.

Yes, yes they are...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:47 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The Hawks were 100% correct not to suspend Kane a single day. This little cuck can't seem to let it go with the Hawks/Kane, even when the facts say he's wrong.

Dan hates the Blackhawks so much. He's never gotten over them getting in the way of him jerking off over every Bulls game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/06/09/cubs-avoid-missteps-addison-russell-domestic-violence-allegation/

A Chicago pro sports team is allowed to get it right, even if it comes after its own struggles and those of others.

Nobody knows what happened between Cubs shortstop Addison Russell and his now-estranged wife, only that a friend of the family alleged domestic abuse in no uncertain terms via social media. Russell has denied the claim, and the team turned the matter over to MLB for further investigation.

After their own difficulties managing communication upon trading for Aroldis Chapman last July, the Cubs have apparently learned from that experience in a way that informed a careful and nuanced response that took no sides in the matter, made no presumptions and avoided the all-too-common sports mistake of circling the wagons around a besieged teammate. This was a far cry from the Blackhawks’ tone-deaf press conference after the Patrick Kane rape allegations and the Bears’ ham-handed bungling of the Ray McDonald signing.

They took most of a Thursday to release a short statement after the allegation surfaced late Wednesday, but the Cubs didn’t hide. President of baseball operations Theo Epstein and manager Joe Maddon met the full media contingent, general manager Jed Hoyer joined the Bernstein and Goff Show for an extended and detailed interview and star third baseman Kris Bryant was allowed to make his scheduled appearance on the show and handled questions about Russell deftly. Other players did the same in regular open locker room.

What comes next is critical, because the decision was made to keep Russell away from the team on a day-to-day basis until more information becomes available. It’s not fair to make the team can’t play a man down for long, and a roster move could be necessitated.

Fairness marked the initial reaction by the Cubs to a troubling situation, one that will continue to need mindful management that understands not just how the words and optics affect the team but all parties involved and those paying close attention.

Douchebag wrote:
Great article today

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yup

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:54 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Fuck you Dan.. .
\thread

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:

i had to re-read the sentence 4 times. it's just so awkward.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:10 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/06/09/cubs-avoid-missteps-addison-russell-domestic-violence-allegation/

Douchebag wrote:
Great article today

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yup

Yup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

i had to re-read the sentence 4 times. it's just so awkward.

This is when we need Dave in Champaign the most .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Douchebag wrote:
Great article today

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yup

Yup.

At this point I think Brick has really given up on B&G and just feigns liking them to maintain his reputation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:16 pm 

Quote:
It’s not fair to make the team can’t play a man down for long

Always make sure to proofreading is important.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:24 pm 

roundabout way to praise cub management...again

Does the narrative change if we find out the Cubs knew about the problem for weeks, investigated, determined their was something reportable then only reported upon having their hand forced by the Tweets?

I'm sure Jesse will get right on finding out the why and the when to this story.

Last edited by good dolphin on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
roundabout way to praise cub management...again

and take swings at the Blackhawks...

I hope he enjoys his cratered ratings over the last few years in the aftermath of pissing off the fanbase team with the 3rd largest following in their media market.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm 

Oh look, Russell rejoined the Cubs today (as he should have). I'm sure that 1 day away from the team, which was more for his mental sake, got the message across. :lol:

Once again, fuck you Dan Bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:31 pm 

Well, the Blackhawks are declining now. If you thought he got his blows in while they were on the way up, wait till he can get them on their way down. Remember how he'd shit a brick every time McDonough published press releases about high ratings for individual games? He'll be lording any ratings drop over them every chance he gets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Well, the Blackhawks are declining now. If you thought he got his blows in while they were on the way up, wait till he can get them on their way down. Remember how he'd shit a brick every time McDonough published press releases about high ratings for individual games? He'll be lording any ratings drop over them every chance he gets.

While ignoring the drops in the Bulls ratings

Although we'll see. Does 670 really want to renew him whenever he's up given the fact they have an $8 milliion hole called Cubs baseball and need to cut expenses ala ESPN

That rights deal and their revenue situation with the Cubs is a mini version of what's plaguing ESPN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:49 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Douchebag wrote:
Great article today

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yup

Yup.

At this point I think Brick has really given up on B&G and just feigns liking them to maintain his reputation.

:lol: :lol: Ya think ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm 

Best show in Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:57 pm 

"When you see that the Blackhawks only had a 2.9 last night for their game at San Jose, which you have to find out through...alternative channels beyond the proud proclamations of McDonough, (sigh) you just have to wonder...not only, 'is any of this... this Blackhawks...thing really justified,' but was any of it ever justified at all? Have the Cubs, and to a much lesser extent Northwestern, really obviated this desire for not only a winner but a winner with... and I have to be careful here, traditionally white sensibilities?"

"Nah I hear ya. I get it. All I hear is DAAA EVERYONE LOVES DA HAWKS but did you really? did you really now? or did you just want to get together and have a certain kind of fun in a certain kind of way? Cuz you don't love 'em when they're losing in the first round. And don't say you still do! Maybe YOU do but the numbers don't love 'em. We got the numbers right here for you. You're not watchin'."

"And I think what's most shameful about this, what others will have to...to bear and to answer for in the coming years as they look back upon their careers, was the...the contrived Green Bay Packersness of the way this team was covered by many, of this team that could do no wrong, that we were all supposed to come together and root for, as if instructed from on high, and I know a lot of people who work in media in this town were NOT happy with what they were made to do and how they were made to do their damn jobs by forces conspiring above them, which is why I have nothing but respect for Mitch and for Julian Green and for everyone who has allowed us to... tocover the Cubs the way they deserve to be covered, with interest but with scrutiny, not as...some property to be blindly promoted."

"Yeah yeah yeah. I know what you're thinking, though, BUT YOU GUYS GOTS DA CUBS YER BIAS, well first of all it's biased with a D at the end, so like learn to read, but we do our work here. We work. We go out and we get you stories and feel proud of a job well done at the end of the day."

"I know I was never less proud of myself than when I was...really, in a lot of ways, forced to provide a reasoned opposition to the overwhelming prevailing thought on the Blackhawks and say that Cheryl Scott took so many pricks she should have found out what her allergies were. And I was disgusted with myself that it became, in a sense, incumbent upon me to mitigate the masses who, as we've found out, were not true hockey fans but were only attracted to the problematic allure of Patrick Kane. It's sad, really, but in a way it's not, because at least now we can say with certainty that the nightmare is over."