It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jaw Breaker wrote:
billypootons wrote:

A caller questioned them on why would you sell the second round pick, goff proceeds to fillabuster and literally did not answer the question.

He wanted to avoid any pernicious myths

Paxson answered it . They wanted the money . It essentially came down to trading Lou Deng for cash which Paxson admitted they did to get them out of the luxury task. Pernicious myths indeed .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:02 am 

billypootons wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Their opinion was that the return on the trade is irrelevant. The actual action of trading signaled a needed rebuild which they hailed.

I didn't understand the logic. Step 1 of the rebuild was deciding to trade Butler but Step 1.b. was to maximize return for him.

I don't know why but giving up #16 in that trade and then selling the second round pick irks me. Are you telling me that the Timberwolves walk away from the deal if you insist on keeping #16?

A caller questioned them on why would you sell the second round pick, goff proceeds to fillabuster and literally did not answer the question.

their take as you described is atrocious. their other take of "Garpax isnt going anywhere so dont complain about them" is also idiotic. complaining about GM's in this city is what their radio station used to be all about before it became "obnoxious assbags dictate to listeners smart radio"

I honestly believe that sports media has had the unintended consequence of leading me to increasingly become ambivalent toward sports. You now are a buffoon if you trust your eyes & experience over mountains of unintelligible statistics. The men & women shouting the loudest and with the "greatest" outrage always seem to know the least.

It was one thing to laugh at the ass kissers and guys who described "towering line drives". That was at least good for laughs. Now we're left to hear about insider info they won't share :lol: (because they don't have any), the three technique, salary caps and the idea of a player being clutch being abject stupidity.

It's as if this generation of clowns wanted to grow up in the toy department, realized they did, felt inadequate as adults and had to make it all super serious to fell better about themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Regular Reader wrote:
billypootons wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Their opinion was that the return on the trade is irrelevant. The actual action of trading signaled a needed rebuild which they hailed.

I didn't understand the logic. Step 1 of the rebuild was deciding to trade Butler but Step 1.b. was to maximize return for him.

I don't know why but giving up #16 in that trade and then selling the second round pick irks me. Are you telling me that the Timberwolves walk away from the deal if you insist on keeping #16?

their take as you described is atrocious. their other take of "Garpax isnt going anywhere so dont complain about them" is also idiotic. complaining about GM's in this city is what their radio station used to be all about before it became "obnoxious assbags dictate to listeners smart radio"

I honestly believe that sports media has had the unintended consequence of leading me to increasingly become ambivalent toward sports. You now are a buffoon if you trust your eyes & experience over mountains of unintelligible statistics. The men & women shouting the loudest and with the "greatest" outrage always seem to know the least.

It was one thing to laugh at the ass kissers and guys who described "towering line drives". That was at least good for laughs. Now we're left to hear about insider info they won't share :lol: (because they don't have any), the three technique, salary caps and the idea of a player being clutch being abject stupidity.

It's as if this generation of clowns wanted to grow up in the toy department, realized they did, felt inadequate as adults and had to make it all super serious to fell better about themselves.

This is a great take. I support it, especially your final statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
You are right Reader. You are fully allowed to just watch sports with your eyes and enjoy simply. You don't have to believe when they call you dumb and old.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
pittmike wrote:
You are right Reader. You are fully allowed to just watch sports with your eyes and enjoy simply. You don't have to believe when they call you dumb and old.

Calling people old (or young) and dumb is what sports fandom is all about. Having arguments with my dad and grandpa about old baseball players vs new players is what was so great. Nobody referenced WAR or FIP. We just argued and fought but it was fun, there was no 'winner'.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Solid points the last few posts.

You have to disconnect from all the sports "analysts" and "experts" out there to just let yourself enjoy sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Good post, Reader.

I use to be the biggest Bernstein ass kisser until one day I realized it was taking the fun out of sports for me. I snapped out of it and saw him for the idiot he is.

I don't use or read social media or watch ESPN either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 am 

Bernstein makes me a smarter sports fan and I will be eternally grateful to him for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I also NEVER watch any of the pregame stuff. Especially NFL. I am in a kickoff and out at the end.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
pittmike wrote:
I also NEVER watch any of the pregame stuff. Especially NFL. I am in a kickoff and out at the end.

I used to look forward to The NFL Today with Brent Musberger and Irv Cross when I was a kid. I still watched a fair amount of pre-game shows up until about 8-10 years ago when the shows kept expanding to include 5 or 6 hosts and the disingenuous guffawing and back slapping between them became too much for me to take.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:58 am 

pittmike wrote:

I like the Fox one. It's not very informative but it is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:07 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I used to look forward to The NFL Today with Brent Musberger and Irv Cross when I was a kid. I still watched a fair amount of pre-game shows up until about 8-10 years ago when the shows kept expanding to include 5 or 6 hosts and the disingenuous guffawing and back slapping between them became too much for me to take.

I'm with you on the NFL pre game shows. Oddly though I still watch College Game Day from start to finish. Maybe it's the feeling that these guys view themselves as fans first.

At some point people at the Score will figure out why the TNT pre/post game shows are always so popular. Especially in light of their own disappointing ratings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That era NFL today was the goods

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bernstein makes me a smarter sports fan and I will be eternally grateful to him for it.

Never apologize for being better than the rabble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:

Perfectly stated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I haven't had the opportunity to listen much today, but are they now walking this whole thing back? Firing on GarPax? That's what I heard today...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:49 pm 

Dan is pushing for a non-sexed sport landscape.

This is the Dan I remember...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:52 pm 

I hope Julie is listening to this show. The beats me calling in and trying to get Dan to fire on the WNBA