It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
wdelaney72 wrote:
I'd give it a "C".
When I drive home from work, I give it a try...some days I listen, others I do not. I do agree that Goff is having the time of his life. Some of the personal stuff is entertaining, but overall, I agree that the show offers nothing "fun" regarding sports.

I don't follow the NBA but do find the trainwreck that is the Bulls Brass entertaining. The rest of their NBA talk is PTFB for me. Their complete disregard for Hockey is really sad, stupid, and short-sighted. I can sit through some NBA talk even though I don't follow the NBA...it would be nice if they actually attempted to acknowledge the Blackhawks and NHL.

Bernstein has clearly reached a point where he has no vested interest in professional sports. There would not be anything wrong with that except his JOB is hosting a sport radio talk show. Enjoying sports is kind of an important part of the job.

Someday I hope Parkins gets the afternoon drive slot...I've learned to enjoy his show, but do not get a chance to listen during work hours.

If Mitch had a clue, he'd put Parkins into the afternoon slot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am 

I still tune in every couple of days, but usually PTFB shortly thereafter. If there is a good topic (usually with a decent guest), I can stay on. However, like others have noted, too much of the following:

- NBA talk
- Overly technical discussion of obscure baseball statistics
- General SWJ issues
- Lack of any humor, expect giggling between the two of them

Yesterday I tuned in and they decided to berate a hockey caller because he couldn't pronounce Niklas Hjalmarsson's name to their satisfaction. Dan must have corrected him 5 times in 40 seconds. It is indeed a difficult name, and I've heard all sorts of versions over the years from various announcers and sportscasters, so beating up on this guy for that minutia was just off-putting. They also went into a discussion on how if the Hawks lead in "puck possession," Niklas' defense won't even be missed. I'm not a hockey aficionado, but that seems overly simplistic, and I felt sorry for the guy that called in--it certainly was not funny or interesting to hear Dan and Jason beat up on a less articulate listener.

Anyway, not funny, not interesting, pedantic, condescending and elitist.

Back to FM.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
I still tune in every couple of days, but usually PTFB shortly thereafter. If there is a good topic (usually with a decent guest), I can stay on. However, like others have noted, too much of the following:

- NBA talk
- Overly technical discussion of obscure baseball statistics
- General SWJ issues
- Lack of any humor, expect giggling between the two of them

Yesterday I tuned in and they decided to berate a hockey caller because he couldn't pronounce Niklas Hjalmarsson's name to their satisfaction. Dan must have corrected him 5 times in 40 seconds. It is indeed a difficult name, and I've heard all sorts of versions over the years from various announcers and sportscasters, so beating up on this guy for that minutia was just off-putting. They also went into a discussion on how if the Hawks lead in "puck possession," Niklas' defense won't even be missed. I'm not a hockey aficionado, but that seems overly simplistic, and I felt sorry for the guy that called in--it certainly was not funny or interesting to hear Dan and Jason beat up on a less articulate listener.

Anyway, not funny, not interesting, pedantic, condescending and elitist.

Back to FM.

I wonder if they berate Julie when she butchers a name on every fucking update.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 am 

or Jason when he says dees, dem and does...because he does...and had the balls to knock North for it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Heisenberg wrote:
Yesterday I tuned in and they decided to berate a hockey caller because he couldn't pronounce Niklas Hjalmarsson's name to their satisfaction. Dan must have corrected him 5 times in 40 seconds. It is indeed a difficult name, and I've heard all sorts of versions over the years from various announcers and sportscasters, so beating up on this guy for that minutia was just off-putting. They also went into a discussion on how if the Hawks lead in "puck possession," Niklas' defense won't even be missed.

This is textbook Senor Columnisting right here: yelling at people over small details (the correct Swedish pronunciation is not the agreed-upon North American pronunciation -- see also "Chara" with a "ch" and not a guttural, or "Panarin" like Panera) in service of a point that is absolutely stupid. I'd rather mangle his name like "Charmulson" on the radio than argue that his defense won't be missed, jfc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
The show (primarily Goff) sucks...

ESPN 1000 & WGN 720 have never sounded better...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Goff is the female Leslie Jones .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
badrogue17 wrote:
Goff is the female Leslie Jones .

Truth...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Tata's
They laugh 10x more on the air than B&B did, yet I laugh about one tenth as much as I did listening to B&B. Finally tapped and subscribed to Sirius this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Boyd has me on ignore. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 am 

Hjalmarsson has been averaging about 130 blocks a year (181 in 73 last year alone) and only about 30 penalty minutes a year. He was second on the team last year in defensive point shares behind only eventual first-ballot Hall of Famer Duncan Keith. I'm sure he's going to fall off a cliff one day, but so is just about everyone else who matters on this team -- Toews and Seabrook are already hanging from the cliff like Mufasa. Whether he does a Dave Bolland in Phoenix or not, to say he won't be missed is insanity. Maybe just talk about the top ten rebounders in San Antonio Spurs history after all. Good lord.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Hjalmarsson has been averaging about 130 blocks a year (181 in 73 last year alone) and only about 30 penalty minutes a year. He was second on the team last year in defensive point shares behind only eventual first-ballot Hall of Famer Duncan Keith. I'm sure he's going to fall off a cliff one day, but so is just about everyone else who matters on this team -- Toews and Seabrook are already hanging from the cliff like Mufasa. Whether he does a Dave Bolland in Phoenix or not, to say he won't be missed is insanity. Maybe just talk about the top ten rebounders in San Antonio Spurs history after all. Good lord.

CH, are you honestly saying that hockey talk didn't move your soul?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Beerdown has yet to appear in a Beardown joint? Hmm...

Yea, i'm definitely open to that theory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

CH, are you honestly saying that hockey talk didn't move your soul?

Since Mac left, we have almost 0 intelligent hockey talk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: billss
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This show does have problems.

2) Not enough fun. Getting rid of Friday Fung was remarkably stupid. Getting rid of most of the drops was remarkably stupid.

The SJW stuff would be fine. The race talk would be fine. The personal stories would be fine if the show was just more fun.

douchebag is right though.

I think the problem is Goff. Wasn't it him who got rid of the fun parts on midday - songs and drops? With Parkins, midday is back to being fun. Goff sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

scoregirl wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

2) Not enough fun. Getting rid of Friday Fung was remarkably stupid. Getting rid of most of the drops was remarkably stupid.

The SJW stuff would be fine. The race talk would be fine. The personal stories would be fine if the show was just more fun.

I think the problem is Goff. Wasn't it him who got rid of the fun parts on midday - songs and drops? With Parkins, midday is back to being fun. Goff sucks.

Goff is an unintelligent ass who thinks he's cool. Unfortunately, he's not.
Just another EEOC unqualified fuck, who doesn't deserve a job in radio or any other place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
or Jason when he says dees, dem and does...because he does...and had the balls to knock North for it

I didn't know black people did that. But you are right. He does do it. He caught that from listening to North as a kid. Or from growing up in Evanston.

Goff is the black talking Mike North!!!!

Goff: Brothers don't talk like Mike North

Beardown: Except for you. But you talk cool when it's not "Dem" or "Dees". You just have to fix that.

Goff: Fuck you, cracker!!!!

Beardown: Dere it is!!!!!

Goff: Motha fucka

Beardown: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Great show

Yup.

This

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Score is doomed wrote:
scoregirl wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Goff is an unintelligent ass who thinks he's cool. Unfortunately, he's not.
Just another EEOC unqualified fuck, who doesn't deserve a job in radio or any other place.

And you're still a complete and utter idiot...so it balances out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Score cafe
scoregirl wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The problem is Drinky. Think about it. Why did Goff whack him? Cuz he could. That's why. He's Dan's partner. You don't take that lightly. Drinky thought he was a made man. He kept trying to act like he owned the place. He didn't. Goff put him his place. By whacking him. That's how.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beerdown wrote:
scoregirl wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The problem is Drinky. Think about it. Why did Goff whack him? Cuz he could. That's why. He's Dan's partner. You don't take that lightly. Drinky thought he was a made man. He kept trying to act like he owned the place. He didn't. Goff put him his place. By whacking him. That's how.

You're right. Think about it. I should have said it first. But I didn't. You win. Cuz you said it first. But it needed to be said. I'm glad you said it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:56 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Beerdown wrote:

You're right. Think about it. I should have said it first. But I didn't. You win. Cuz you said it first. But it needed to be said. I'm glad you said it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
it probably should be in another thread, but Parkins and Spgs has replaced B&G pretty much for me. They've figured out more and more how to make fun of themselves and they even use drops every once in a while (!). B&G just isn't and can't be the old B&B. And today Larry was on, and I can't stand that guy, and he largely talked in circles until he could figure out Dan's talking points. They're still not addressing the drafting of right handed Brad Lohaus. They continue to drag on and on about it being so great that the Bulls went for a rebuild, while ignoring the fact that the first piece of the rebuild is a dud.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Per Goff, Gar Forman is purposely avoiding him and his tough questions by not appearing on their show. Before you ask, Goff can't make it to media day because he has a baby. This show is awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
MartyD47 wrote:
Per Goff, Gar Forman is purposely avoiding him and his tough questions by not appearing on their show.

On the list of things Jason Goff is known for: console slapping, unnecessary laughter, boring personal anecdotes, leering at women on NBC Sports Sunday, does "asking tough questions" even make the list?

MartyD47 wrote:
Before you ask, Goff can't make it to media day because he has a baby. This show is awful.

Does Goff think that people with children do not work during the day? I think he could probably find childcare for a few hours when needed to cover a press conference. Speaking of which, has he ever done that before? I was under the impression that Mulligan was the only regular daytime host who attended press conferences.

That's about as silly as Spiegel having to quit hosting Hit and Run on Saturday mornings because he wanted to spend more time with his family...and then talked about late Friday nights practicing with his cover band or playing poker.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
THERE IT IS

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Score cafe
Goff's been laying low ever since he pushed a button on Drinky. The stress must be getting to him. He whacked someone so he thinks he should be feared. But he's not. He miscalculated. He thought whacking someone would earn more street cred. But now he's staying home to be a parent. He knows people are talking about him. He hears the whispers in the hallways. And not just Larry's.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Tad Queasy wrote:
Does Goff think that people with children do not work during the day? I think he could probably find childcare for a few hours when needed to cover a press conference. Speaking of which, has he ever done that before? I was under the impression that Mulligan was the only regular daytime host who attended press conferences.

Goff is not going to raise a gangster. He is going to spend time with this baby. Someone else can be the rockstar by asking Forman the questions that need to be asked.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
Beerdown wrote:
scoregirl wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But you didn't say it first.

Cuz your a dumbas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Seacrest wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Beerdown wrote:

But you didn't say it first.

Cuz your a dumbas

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next