It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
ATTENTION OBSESSIVE MESSAGE BOARD GOFF FANS: GOFF JUST SAID WHERE HE'S GONNA BE TONIGHT: YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!

(personally I know i've creeped out Goff hardcore by seemingly never showing up at a single public appearance of his over the last ~8yrs;. This way he *KNOWS* I'm out there in the crowd somewhere.... But he never sees me... Ever. This has to drive him.mad cuz I'm obviously out there at every single appearance of his! I'm obsessed after all, dammit! =)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
This is literally the deadest week in the entire sports calendar. Can't really criticize them for not having a lot content wise. The NBA timeout rule change is a good thing though. Should make the last couple minutes of games slightly quicker.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I would like to see the shot clock reset to 12 seconds after a shot that hits the rim.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
This is literally the deadest week in the entire sports calendar. Can't really criticize them for not having a lot content wise. The NBA timeout rule change is a good thing though. Should make the last couple minutes of games slightly quicker.

Shots fired at Drinkys brother !!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Duck Dynasty
I literally don't understand the appeal of the NBA. It's really foreign and boring.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
FavreFan wrote:
This is literally the deadest week in the entire sports calendar. Can't really criticize them for not having a lot content wise.

That was my first thought too, but even if this news came out a month ago there's a good chance that they would spend an inordinate amount of time talking about it. I suppose that by now I shouldn't still be surprised by how "blah" the pairing is, but good god...

The biggest problem is that Goff is overexposed. He was great on B&B cause he got to pick his spots. When he tries to drive a show it just doesn't work. Conversations never have room to breath because he is talking all over everything, while simultaneously not being very interesting. Its like he's clipping.

Frankly, I think they could benefit from a 3rd host, someone who could bring a completely different angle. Then Dan could drive, and Goff could sit back. I don't think the show is bad enough for management to make that big of a change, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
MajorKong wrote:
Frankly, I think they could benefit from a 3rd host, someone who could bring a completely different angle.

Given what we learned about how Mitch views his evening/weekend lineup, the only angle he'd be adding to this show is a MySpace Angle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm actually one who enjoys the NBA talk, even the national talk. They did do talk NBA more than ever before on the afternoon show and I assume that's because they are trying to increase Goff's credibility on that sport and push his knowledge of the sport. They also have talked a lot of NBA because that's the main sport from April - June (sorry early season MLB and NHL playoffs), but they do fit in plenty of Cub talk as well.

Most of the summer months are MLB focused around the Cubs and then it transitions to the Bears if the Cubs don't make the playoffs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

BD wrote:
They also have talked a lot of NBA because that's the main sport from April - June (sorry early season MLB and NHL playoffs)

In Chicago?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
BD wrote:
They also have talked a lot of NBA because that's the main sport from April - June (sorry early season MLB and NHL playoffs)

In Chicago?

Anywhere?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
BD wrote:

In Chicago?

Anywhere?

TV ratings within their radio market (which is the potential listeners they should cater to) say otherwise.

Now if you're producing a national show, that's a different story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm 

Local should supersede national within reason. Two baseball teams in town and you're talking Utah and the Clippers? For whom, exactly?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Local should supersede national within reason. Two baseball teams in town and you're talking Utah and the Clippers? For whom, exactly?

a shrinking audience given the data we've all seen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
BD wrote:

In Chicago?

Anywhere?

TV ratings within their radio market (which is the potential listeners they should cater to) say otherwise.

I'm not sure, locally, if people care about GS or Cleveland talk. They seem to disagree. I'm only saying that April, May and June is when the NBA season is at it's best in most years. Baseball season here is bigger with the Cubs now being a dominant team coming off the WS win, and they do cover them extensively, but what other sports should be discussed in that time of the year outside of the Cubs and NBA? There is some NFL draft talk, but it's the most NBA heavy time of the year outside of free agency in the first week of July.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 pm 

I don't know, fuck the NBA, there's nothing in it for 95% of the audience unless everyone is just supposed to beat off to LeBron's BODY and Golden State's three-pointers. And we call the NFL a mere TV show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
BD wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
BD wrote:

In Chicago?

Anywhere?

I'm not sure, locally, if people care about GS or Cleveland talk. They seem to disagree. I'm only saying that April, May and June is when the NBA season is at it's best in most years. Baseball season here is bigger with the Cubs now being a dominant team coming off the WS win, and they do cover them extensively, but what other sports should be discussed in that time of the year outside of the Cubs and NBA? There is some NFL draft talk, but it's the most NBA heavy time of the year outside of free agency in the first week of July.

NBA talk in those peak-NBA months should be discussed the same way other major sports in this town with a hometown-anchoring team are discussed: Most national-scale news is projected through or at least tangentially tied to the lens of the hometown NBA team, with a smattering of untethered national talk on things that are generally newsworthy and interesting. B&G weren't breaking down the signings of Edwin Encarnacion (new team, huge money), Marc Melancon (new team, huge money), Josh Reddick (new team, big money), or even Aroldis Chapman (from an in-market team to the Yankees, HUGE money), so why are they talking about Victor Ola-fucking-dipo or Joe Johnson and their respective impact on the Western Conference?

And to answer the "well what SHOULD they talk about?" inevitable: they should be funny and entertaining irrespective of sports news or media input, and that's not an unreasonable ask. Carolla manages to find stuff to riff on for an similar amount of time every single day of every week B&G are on the air, and that's before he gets to the pre-programmed, pre-screened (presumably) news segment. He takes calls (on a show not broadcast live, BTW), does bits, and riffs on his own monologues, all without mentioning in July the unrepentant beauty of LeBron's nylon-shielded cock placed in the mouth of another guy (who keeps it movin') we've never heard of.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
B&G weren't breaking down the signings of Edwin Encarnacion (new team, huge money), Marc Melancon (new team, huge money), Josh Reddick (new team, big money), or even Aroldis Chapman (from an in-market team to the Yankees, HUGE money), so why are they talking about Victor Ola-fucking-dipo or Joe Johnson and their respective impact on the Western Conference?

NBA fandom has cultivated a weird synthesis of social justice concerns and marveling over the scale of league commerce that doesn't exist in baseball. Both leagues pay their players more money than any normal person can reckon with, but with the NBA it's implied that seventh men making superstar money puts the world to rights in a way that middle relievers making superstar money does not. It has a lot to do with race.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:30 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
B&G weren't breaking down the signings of Edwin Encarnacion (new team, huge money), Marc Melancon (new team, huge money), Josh Reddick (new team, big money), or even Aroldis Chapman (from an in-market team to the Yankees, HUGE money), so why are they talking about Victor Ola-fucking-dipo or Joe Johnson and their respective impact on the Western Conference?

NBA fandom has cultivated a weird synthesis of social justice concerns and marveling over the scale of league commerce that doesn't exist in baseball. Both leagues pay their players more money than any normal person can reckon with, but with the NBA it's implied that seventh men making superstar money puts the world to rights in a way that middle relievers making superstar money does not. It has a lot to do with race.

Or, ya know, some of just like watching basketball.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51 am 

That doesn't explain away the "LOOK. HOW. MUCH. MONEY. THEY'RE MAKING" cooing every time Turner/Disney/Kia money enables some general manager to do something stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
That doesn't explain away the "LOOK. HOW. MUCH. MONEY. THEY'RE MAKING" cooing every time Turner/Disney/Kia money enables some general manager to do something stupid.

Who's doing that? Let me guess: "people on twitter", right? Don't Bernstein me, bro.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Or, ya know, some of just like watching basketball.

correct.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Who's doing that? Let me guess: "people on twitter", right? Don't Bernstein me, bro.

Bernstein and Goff themselves?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
There's another issue where if you are a serious NBA fan, then B&G are lacking there too. They know the game but not the league, and actually have an attitude that's not like an 'NBA fan', but more like CH's: only #ringz and LeBron matters, everybody else is just 'a guy' and not quite yet 'a thing'.

So if you're into national NBA talk, there are countless other podcasts to listen to. And if you're into local Bulls talk, B&G aren't good at that either as Reinsdorf kiss-asses. Actually Goff isn't as bad on that front but usually demurs to Bernstein there.

Spiegel/Parkins are better local Bulls content, or JHood at night on 1000. I guess if you're too old to seek out your own content on the world wide web, and like the NBA on a general scale, there aren't better options than B&G.

It has me wondering what is B&G's best sport. They're pedants when it comes to baseball, superficial with the NBA. Hockey is N/A. I suppose football, but then they get into their 'sources say' nonsense which limits them there too.

That old 'gay candy' clip posted above was great. How has nobody created a Goff mult named 'black chuckle'?

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Bernstein and Goff themselves?

I guess so. I rarely listen to the show anymore. I just think because of certain people/outlets you follow you have a pretty distorted idea of what the average nba fan is like.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:46 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:
There's another issue where if you are a serious NBA fan, then B&G are lacking there too. They know the game but not the league, and actually have an attitude that's not like an 'NBA fan', but more like CH's: only #ringz and LeBron matters, everybody else is just 'a guy' and not quite yet 'a thing'.

So if you're into national NBA talk, there are countless other podcasts to listen to. And if you're into local Bulls talk, B&G aren't good at that either as Reinsdorf kiss-asses. Actually Goff isn't as bad on that front but usually demurs to Bernstein there.

Spiegel/Parkins are better local Bulls content, or JHood at night on 1000. I guess if you're too old to seek out your own content on the world wide web, and like the NBA on a general scale, there aren't better options than B&G.

It has me wondering what is B&G's best sport. They're pedants when it comes to baseball, superficial with the NBA. Hockey is N/A. I suppose football, but then they get into their 'sources say' nonsense which limits them there too.

That old 'gay candy' clip posted above was great. How has nobody created a Goff mult named 'black chuckle'?

I agree that both are pretty bad on NBA talk, especially given that it's ostensibly their best sport like you said.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:12 pm 

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Bernstein tries to use his CBA resume as a cover for his ignorance regarding the NBA while Goff has always attempted to play the role of insider. ONce they are removed from all things Lebron it becomes readily apparent that they really don't follow the league. I have always found Spiegal to be the most knowledgeable guy about sports that the station has. He was always portrayed as the baseball guy but he knows basketball too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

everybody else is just 'a guy' and not quite yet 'a thing'.

One of God's own prototypes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

I wonder how anyone would ever think that the anti NBA
sentiment which is expressed on here wouldn't be racially motivated? Quintessentential racial apologist JLN are you reading? Sure you are and have since you commented in the thread you damn hypocrite.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

sentiment which is expressed on here wouldn't be racially motivated? Quintessentential racial apologist JLN are you reading? Sure you are and have since you commented in the thread you damn hypocrite.

Do you think the notion that people revere big-money contracts for rotation players in the NBA in-part because previously (and arguably still-) oppressed minorities are the ones receiving guaranteed deals worth tens of millions of dollars, is a racist one? Not "dealing with race", I mean "racist". Further, do you think pointing out and discussing that notion makes someone racist? Also, do you realize who is who in the quote you posted?

Sorry, don't totally get your "gotcha!" moment, here. Finally, here's that full quote from me:

NBA talk in those peak-NBA months should be discussed the same way other major sports in this town with a hometown-anchoring team are discussed: Most national-scale news is projected through or at least tangentially tied to the lens of the hometown NBA team, with a smattering of untethered national talk on things that are generally newsworthy and interesting. B&G weren't breaking down the signings of Edwin Encarnacion (new team, huge money), Marc Melancon (new team, huge money), Josh Reddick (new team, big money), or even Aroldis Chapman (from an in-market team to the Yankees, HUGE money), so why are they talking about Victor Ola-fucking-dipo or Joe Johnson and their respective impact on the Western Conference?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:16 am 

long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Do you think the notion that people revere big-money contracts for rotation players in the NBA in-part because previously (and arguably still-) oppressed minorities are the ones receiving guaranteed deals worth tens of millions of dollars, is a racist one? Not "dealing with race", I mean "racist". Further, do you think pointing out and discussing that notion makes someone racist? Also, do you realize who is who in the quote you posted?

Sorry, don't totally get your "gotcha!" moment, here. Finally, here's that full quote from me:

Is there really a surprise that you didn't "get" it? Really is there really no surprise? You only play your "aha" games when blacks on here make reference to race. You are either always alluding or inferring something. When whites on here do it you are always conspicuously silent.

Your feigned attempts at claiming ignorance aren't flying either. As i told you i see through your bullshit you fucking phony.

My claims regarding race being a factor is supported by evidence and other posters. Jorr and Vegan essentially said the same thing but you are either so ignorant or biased that you just glossed over it.

Its the same thing that you do when it comes to those that voice racist views. Your lack of response in one instance while constantly displaying attentiveness in others shows quite well who you are.