It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

https://www.facebook.com/matt.spiegel.9/posts/10213113592849396

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
He's comparing himself to Conan O' Brien? Ohhhhkay.

Basically he is saying on a public website that he is smarter than his upper management because the ratings were doing really well and there is no reason he shouldn't still be in that time slot. Or did I read that wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm 

Maybe he can learn the value of getting McKnight his lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
That is some grade A tripe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
He's comparing himself to Conan O' Brien? Ohhhhkay.

Basically he is saying on a public website that he is smarter than his upper management because the ratings were doing really well and there is no reason he shouldn't still be in that time slot. Or did I read that wrong?

Pretty much the same stuff Goff said.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

He confirmed that he will still be on the SCORE as a fill in and columnist on the website. He even said he's gonna launch a podcast through the Score's website.

Goff hasn't said any of those things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Can someone quote it here, for us plebs without Facebook?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:57 pm 

Beardown wrote:
He confirmed that he will still be on the SCORE as a fill in and columnist on the website. He even said he's gonna launch a podcast through the Score's website.

I meant about the show and how successful it was.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
On the end of daily Score life.

I will no longer commune and connect with my people every day from 9 to 1. That sucks.
I love being a part of your day. The spontaneity and precariousness of live, interactive radio is unmatched, as is the genuine magic that occurs when a show gets rolling.
Our show was rolling. Spiegel and Parkins had come so far in terms of our chemistry, and you knew it. The quality of the conversation, the unpredictability of every segment, the musicality (or honest lack thereof) in our song parodies, the evolution of ideas, the inclusion of the whole crew with Jay and Rick; the momentum was palpable to everyone. Well, almost everyone.
Also, as you’ve probably read by now, the ratings numbers had steadily climbed and by now were very, very good. That was not the issue. My contract or salary was not the issue. As far as I know, societal conversations and other non-sports content was not the issue.
The issue is that each radio host is not beloved by everyone, and a new boss gets to do what he wants. This has played out in our industry, and others, for decades. Because I’m me, I’m reminded of so many rock bands who sign a record deal with a passionate A & R man, only to be hung out to dry when that record label goes through management changes. I feel a little (just a little) like Wilco when Reprise Records said they didn’t want to put out Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The band found a way to get the music out, but it was awkward and tumultuous. It’s the content creator’s lot in life to carry on.
So It Goes, as Vonnegut wrote. In that sense it’s been pretty easy to not take the move personally.
But please know that I miss you. We had a hell of a 9 year run.
We is not me and Danny Mac, or me an Jason Goff, or me and Patrick Mannelly, or me and Danny Parkins. It is not me and the 30 or so different co-hosts that have joined from 9 to 1 at some point.
We is me and you. The connection we’ve had is the absolute goods, and I deeply appreciate it. I thank you for hearing me, for yelling to or at me, and most of all for furthering conversations with me. You’ve made my best thoughts funnier and more fleshed out. You’ve withstood my worst thoughts, and let me find good ones again. You’ve shared life experience that helped conversations synthesize and be enriched deeper than I could have imagined.
I’ve always thought of you as one big collective, theoretically comprised of every slice of Chicagoan imaginable. It took a couple years, frankly, to accept that amidst that collective were some that deeply loathed me. Local radio is unique in that way. We are often chosen by listeners with the direct expectation of supplying a target for derision and/or rage. As long as you listen, it counts. This can lead to some really bad programming choices by certain hosts, who go for the easy denominator of being provocative instead of genuine. If you’re not careful, you can lose yourself and become a contrarian by convenience, ready to inhabit a debate role that virtually anyone could play.
Thankfully, I realized this danger, and have worked to avoid it. I didn’t succeed all the time, but please know I tried to remove as much of the filter between my head, heart and microphone as possible. I’ve been me, for better or for worse. Sometimes my sensitivity would show through, but I lived with that because it sure felt better than being a fake tough guy. Anyway, if you feel like you know me, you do.
Onward! I’ll be on the station, filling in on various shows as needed. I’ll resume writing baseball columns for The Score. I’ll be launching the podcast idea of my dreams, through the station’s website. This idea has been percolating a long time…if I can pull it off, it will fuse my worlds together as they’ve been destined to be. And, I’ll obviously still be playing and singing around town with Tributosaurus.
I want to thank each and every one of you who have reached out to wish me well, or remind me of moments that meant something to you. It’s been amazing; kind of like a living wake. I’ve joked that both me and Jason Goff have had that “noble martyr” thing going, like when Conan O’Brien got displaced on The Tonight Show by an entitled, waffling dinosaur in Jay Leno.
But that imagined martyr role doesn’t last, or carry any real heft. I have to create content, and keep the connections with you active. I’m on it. Hell, Conan’s been pretty damn funny since then. Content is king.
You’ll hear or see or read me soon... hell, I may start posting on that fan message board again. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life.
Good vibes babe, (staying on brand)
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Can someone quote it here, for us plebs without Facebook?

Quote:
On the end of daily Score life.

I will no longer commune and connect with my people every day from 9 to 1. That sucks.

I love being a part of your day. The spontaneity and precariousness of live, interactive radio is unmatched, as is the genuine magic that occurs when a show gets rolling.

Our show was rolling. Spiegel and Parkins had come so far in terms of our chemistry, and you knew it. The quality of the conversation, the unpredictability of every segment, the musicality (or honest lack thereof) in our song parodies, the evolution of ideas, the inclusion of the whole crew with Jay and Rick; the momentum was palpable to everyone. Well, almost everyone.

Also, as you’ve probably read by now, the ratings numbers had steadily climbed and by now were very, very good. That was not the issue. My contract or salary
was not the issue. As far as I know, societal conversations and other non-sports content was not the issue.

The issue is that each radio host is not beloved by everyone, and a new boss gets to do what he wants. This has played out in our industry, and others, for decades. Because I’m me, I’m reminded of so many rock bands who sign a record deal with a passionate A & R man, only to be hung out to dry when that record label goes through management changes. I feel a little (just a little) like Wilco when Reprise Records said they didn’t want to put out Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The band found a way to get the music out, but it was awkward and tumultuous. It’s the content creator’s lot in life to carry on.

So It Goes, as Vonnegut wrote. In that sense it’s been pretty easy to not take the move personally.

But please know that I miss you. We had a hell of a 9 year run.

We is not me and Danny Mac, or me an Jason Goff, or me and Patrick Mannelly, or me and Danny Parkins. It is not me and the 30 or so different co-hosts that have joined from 9 to 1 at some point.

We is me and you. The connection we’ve had is the absolute goods, and I deeply appreciate it. I thank you for hearing me, for yelling to or at me, and most of all for furthering conversations with me. You’ve made my best thoughts funnier and more fleshed out. You’ve withstood my worst thoughts, and let me find good ones again. You’ve shared life experience that helped conversations synthesize and be enriched deeper than I could have imagined.

I’ve always thought of you as one big collective, theoretically comprised of every slice of Chicagoan imaginable. It took a couple years, frankly, to accept that amidst that collective were some that deeply loathed me. Local radio is unique in that way. We are often chosen by listeners with the direct expectation of supplying a target for derision and/or rage. As long as you listen, it counts. This can lead to some really bad programming choices by certain hosts, who go for the easy denominator of being provocative instead of genuine. If you’re not careful, you can lose yourself and become a contrarian by convenience, ready to inhabit a debate role that virtually anyone could play.

Thankfully, I realized this danger, and have worked to avoid it. I didn’t succeed all the time, but please know I tried to remove as much of the filter between my head, heart and microphone as possible. I’ve been me, for better or for worse. Sometimes my sensitivity would show through, but I lived with that because it sure felt better than being a fake tough guy. Anyway, if you feel like you know me, you do.

Onward! I’ll be on the station, filling in on various shows as needed. I’ll resume writing baseball columns for The Score. I’ll be launching the podcast idea of my dreams, through the station’s website. This idea has been percolating a long time…if I can pull it off, it will fuse my worlds together as they’ve been destined to be. And, I’ll obviously still be playing and singing around town with Tributosaurus.

I want to thank each and every one of you who have reached out to wish me well, or remind me of moments that meant something to you. It’s been amazing; kind of like a living wake. I’ve joked that both me and Jason Goff have had that “noble martyr” thing going, like when Conan O’Brien got displaced on The Tonight Show by an entitled, waffling dinosaur in Jay Leno.

But that imagined martyr role doesn’t last, or carry any real heft. I have to create content, and keep the connections with you active. I’m on it. Hell, Conan’s been pretty damn funny since then. Content is king.

You’ll hear or see or read me soon. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life.

Good vibes babe, (staying on brand)
Matt

Makes me feel bad for Matt. He did get screwed in all this. Implying that Mac is an "entitled, waffling dinosaur" can't be Good In The Hallways, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
The hallways don't matter; he didn't say anything bad about Larry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Speigs,

Not everything is like music.

Oh and you're not a musician. You're a singer.
Your parody songs were cringeworthy. The Cubs original was bad. You were a dick to parkins about music every chance you got. You were a dick all the time actually. You spent most of your time on the air being a dick.
People noticed.

Darkside.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Matt got the raw deal.

If there is no issue with the contract, and they have to pay him....Why did they not do a 3 man booth?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm 

The huge shot at Mac really is ballsy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Beardown wrote:

The difference is he was right and Goff was wrong.

Other than that, yeah same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I think he did a disservice to himself by writing anything. It's hard not to, when one is emotional, as I'm sure he's been.

He could not have had a worse partner in Mac to begin with, someone who is self-righteous (Mr. I don't get out of bed for anything less than $200K) and not dependable at all.

Was he the greatest broadcaster on the Score? No. But he wasn't the worst either. To think that management thought Connor McDoink was better than Spiegel is ludicrous.

And they do this to a guy who has a young child. Really nice guys at the Score.

I'm sure Spiegel is a guy you would enjoy having a beer with and shooting the shit.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
Matt got the raw deal.

If there is no issue with the contract, and they have to pay him....Why did they not do a 3 man booth?

If they really fired him with 2 years left on the deal, then that's not being screwed. That's a nice thing to get paid for doing nothing. Because he would have been fired after 2 years if DeCastro hated him.

So now he gets to be a fill in guy, do a podcast every now and dedicaste more time to his concerts. All while getting paid as a full time talk show hosts.

Like I said, sometimes with these contracts there are outs owned by the Score. That might be the case. Who knows. Maybe he only has 8 or 9 months left. That's still not bad.

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Matt Spiegel wrote:
You’ll hear or see or read me soon... hell, I may start posting on that fan message board again.

Pull up a chair, Meatpants.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I don't think it's a shot at Mac but at Leno. He ripped on Leno a few times on-air.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The huge shot at Mac really is ballsy.

Yeah. He'll say he didn't mean it that way when asked. But he clearly did. Mac = Leno in his mind.

Mac brought his ass to the SCORE. Without Mac, he doesn't have this 9 year run.

Last edited by Beardown on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
spmack wrote:
Matt Spiegel wrote:
You’ll hear or see or read me soon... hell, I may start posting on that fan message board again.

Pull up a chair, Meatpants.

:lol: :lol:

I had to scroll up and reread that. I thought I missed it. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm 

It's not a shot at Mac. Mac didn't replace him.

If anything, it'd be a shot at Bernstein.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Weak competition. Even you don't pretend Carmen and Jurko is good.

1000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:

But Mac coming back forced him out. Doesn't matter that he didn't directly replace him.

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Matt didn't get a raw deal.
He was a dick. It cost him.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:19 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Mac did replace him after leaving once.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Not anymore...

Sure it's weaker competition but they can only play who's on the schedule. They won against their competition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Beardown wrote:

They were mainly up against Kap. Kap is 9-12. Carm and Jurko are 10-12. Kap sucks, too. Don't get me wrong. But Carm is the worst sports host in this city. I'll take Goff over him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
That is some grade A tripe

When I grow up I want to go to Bovine University.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Beardown wrote:

So now My wife or radio partner and Peter King’s cough is competing against tough competition.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.