It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
I'm not saying that there are HOF guys out there screwed over. I never said that. But Quintana is a prime example. Why do people want to look at his W/L as some sort of barometer (it's pronounced thermometer) of success? He played for awful teams and had incredibly low run support. Had he pitched on a winning club, he'd have a string of 17-6 seasons, not 11-11 seasons.

So he couldn't overcome the high-stress environment of knowing that he had to be his best to win.

That doesn't sound like a stud pitcher. It sounds like a nice #3.

There's no evidence to support that.

As opposed to the evidence he'd have a 17-6 record if he pitched for a
winning team?

Historical evidence suggests that if he just played for a better offensive team, his W/L% would increase, yes.

Isn't that true of everyone? If the team scored more runs then the pitcher would have a better chance of winning the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Looking at wins and losses to evaluate a player is extremely simplistic. It's fine at the end of a career because it's such a large sample size. But GM's would be dumb to use it as an indicator of future performance. There are better indicators.

Like the indicators everyone used to trade for Samardzija when his W/L record showed you who he really was?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
I'm not saying that there are HOF guys out there screwed over. I never said that. But Quintana is a prime example. Why do people want to look at his W/L as some sort of barometer (it's pronounced thermometer) of success? He played for awful teams and had incredibly low run support. Had he pitched on a winning club, he'd have a string of 17-6 seasons, not 11-11 seasons.

So he couldn't overcome the high-stress environment of knowing that he had to be his best to win.

Sure I do.

He won 48% of his games with the Sox.[/quote] While at the same time, Chris Sale was winning over 60% of his games with the Sox...as JOrr correctly pointed out a few days ago.

When evaluating a player, looking at only one stat is just as foolish as completely ignoring a so-called antiquated stat like W-L or RBI.[/quote]

He's not Sale numbnuts, nobody said he was.. Jorr goes to the hof comparison and you go to Sale(future hof)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Wins is the original made up stat. It tells you absolutely nothing about how a pitcher performed in a game.

It tells you the most important thing- if he pitched better or worse than the guy(s) he faced.

Not necessarily true. Bullpens blow leads, errors lead to extended innings, no run support = much lower likelihood of winning.

If you leave the game with the lead and nobody on you can't lose. If you're really a top pitcher (and in today's game you aren't really expected to go more than 6 innings) you should be leaving the game with the lead a great majority of the time.

That's just as easily countered with games they were on the hook for a loss and the team ended up at least tying the game . Those even out for the most part

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

As opposed to the evidence he'd have a 17-6 record if he pitched for a
winning team?

Historical evidence suggests that if he just played for a better offensive team, his W/L% would increase, yes.

Unfortunately, Jose Quintana- just like every other pitcher- has to pitch the actual games he is in rather than other theoretical games where his team is scoring runs by the dozen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Looking at wins and losses to evaluate a player is extremely simplistic. It's fine at the end of a career because it's such a large sample size. But GM's would be dumb to use it as an indicator of future performance. There are better indicators.

Like the indicators everyone used to trade for Samardzija when his W/L record showed you who he really was?

Another horse shit comparison, The guppy had a 4 era in the NL, Quintana will be significantly lower in the NL, The guppy was 5 in the AL, what's Q @ ? 3.6 in the AL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm 

Quintana got 2 runs or less in 55% of his Sox starts, that's abysmal.. You'd have to be Sale or Bob Gibson to make that look decent... He's a good 3 pitcher, he's not a hall of famer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Another horse shit comparison, The guppy had a 4 era in the NL, Quintana will be significantly lower in the NL, The guppy was 5 in the AL, what's Q @ ? 3.6 in the AL.

Sham ran the second fastest Kentucky Derby ever. Do you believe he was the second best horse ever to run in the Derby?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
2017-4.6
2016-4.0
2015-3.6
2014-4.1

That is the run support avg for Quintana. I would hope that given 4 runs a game is good enough for such a great pitcher.

Here is a guy that I never hear talked about like Quintana is... Good ol' Lance Lynn.

2015 run support of 3.3, finished 12-11. 2014 run support of 4.1, finished 15-10. How did he manage to be a winning pitcher when Quintana wasn't?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Wins is the original made up stat. It tells you absolutely nothing about how a pitcher permformed in a game.
A Keith Law dicksucker talking bad about made up stats.

Cats & dogs living together, mass hysteria!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
2017-4.6
2016-4.0
2015-3.6
2014-4.1

That is the run support avg for Quintana. I would hope that given 4 runs a game is good enough for such a great pitcher.

Here is a guy that I never hear talked about like Quintana is... Good ol' Lance Lynn.

2015 run support of 3.3, finished 12-11. 2014 run support of 4.1, finished 15-10. How did he manage to be a winning pitcher when Quintana wasn't?

Hank, perhaps, but so far, so good.

Lynn's a good pitcher, and a righty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
2017-4.6
2016-4.0
2015-3.6
2014-4.1

Hank, perhaps, but so far, so good.

Lynn's a good pitcher, and a righty.

Yeah, Lynn is fine but I don't hear people gushing over him like I do for Quintana. Maybe I'm wrong and the Cardinal contingent on the board will be along to correct me, I don't consume a ton of national baseball talk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 pm 

Lack of run support can fuck up a pitcher for a season. Maybe a season and a half. If it goes on longer than that, its likely the pitcher himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:32 pm 

Can't wait for the HOF to put a .500 pitcher in next to Tom Seaver because his WAR and WHiP were so good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Can't wait for the HOF to put a .500 pitcher in next to Tom Seaver because his WAR and WHiP were so good.

Nobody is suggesting he's a hof pitcher, how many other guys in the AL have an era below 3.5 in a hitters park and are 50-54 ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:

Murry Dickson and Joe Horlen are probably the best starting pitchers you can find with losing career records. Horlen was a game under .500. I would consider him a good comp for Quintana. He was a fine pitcher but all those numbers he piled up pitching in Sox Park make him seem better than he was. And his sparkling peripherals aren't unrelated to the fact that he lacked "run support".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Nobody is suggesting he's a hof pitcher, how many other guys in the AL have an era below 3.5 in a hitters park and are 50-54 ?

Aren't the guys who are allowing less than Quintana in the games he pitches pitching in the same ballparks?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
2017-4.6
2016-4.0
2015-3.6
2014-4.1

Right, that's the per 9 innings rate, not the amount of runs they actually gave to Quintana while he was in the game. What good is a run in the 9th for Quintana when he left in the 7th?

For his Sox career, Quintana started 169 games and received a total of 467 runs of offense from the Sox while in the game. That comes out to 2.76 runs per start. Here is the distribution of actual runs scored for every start with the Sox:

As you can see, Quintana was way more likely to get 2 runs or less in any given start, such games comprising 96 starts, or 57% of his career with the White Sox. He got 1 run or less in nearly 40% of the starts he made.

Comparatively, Chris Sale for his career got 3.57 runs per start from the Sox. And the year he finished 4th in the Cy Young voting despite a 13-11 record in 2015, Sale got 3.19 runs of support per start. Here is his actual run support per start distribution:

He got 2 runs or less a total of 70 times in his career, or 47% of his starts. Sale got 1 run or less in 32% of his starts.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm 

Good stuff Juice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Aren't the guys who are allowing less than Quintana in the games he pitches pitching in the same ballparks?

You're assuming the starting pitchers he's going against are allowing fewer runs in all 54 of those losses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
JLN is packing heat. Love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:12 pm 

To put the above in context, over the last 3 seasons, the league-average starter got 3.04 runs of support per start.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

To put the above in context, over the last 3 seasons, the league-average starter got 3.04 runs of support per start.

Wait league avg is 3.04 and he's gotten 2.76? So the difference is a quarter of a run (or nothing since that doesn't exist). At the very least, he should be a .500 pitcher. If he's that good he should be ABOVE AVERAGE. He isn't because hes just another guy with good SABR stats that chart making guys like to jerk off about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm 

Just to confirm, hes a great pitcher (not HOF but hall of very good) and has just been the most unlucky sap in all of baseball history. He's going to win 30 games a year for the Cubs now!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Wait league avg is 3.04 and he's gotten 2.76? So the difference is a quarter of a run (or nothing since that doesn't exist). At the very least, he should be a .500 pitcher. If he's that good he should be ABOVE AVERAGE. He isn't because hes just another guy with good SABR stats that chart making guys like to jerk off about.

Not really, the average I gave isn't weighted. As I showed via the charts, a guy can "average" nearly 2.76 runs of support a game, but still get 2 runs or less in 57% of his starts. There is a vast difference in expected value between 2.76 R/G and 3.04, because the smallest resolution is 1 run.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm 

Hank gets it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:26 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I'm willing to bet it's a lot less since the twins came along .

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I want to be wrong. I want JLN to bump this thread in October and call me a dumbass.

There have been 67 starters since 2012 to throw at least 750 innings. Quintana is 64th in per start Run Support.

Here are the top 5:

Max Scherzer (3.96)
David Price (3.95)
CJ Wilson (3.83)
Clayton Kershaw (3.68)
Adam Wainwright (3.65)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I want to be wrong. I want JLN to bump this thread in October and call me a dumbass.

I know.

I felt the same way. Eventually you come to realize he isn't some elite pitcher. He's ok.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next