It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am 

ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
I'm simply amazed that people continue to cite W/L while breaking down trades or analyzing pitchers.

Why?

W/L has very little use in determining a player's value. Anybody who has watched Quintana pitch since he came into the league knows that he's not what people associate with a .500 pitcher. You can pitch for awful teams your entire career, but because your team never scored more than 2 runs per game, you wind up 10 games under.

People need to first use the eye test. People like Silvy, who have never watched more than 30 seconds of White Sox baseball, just throw things out there, like "ehhh, he's not really established yet."

Second, use peripherals. How's his control? Does he miss bats? Does poor fielding behind him hurt?

W/L is rather useless. It's like +/- in hockey. It holds muted value. It's not completely useless, but you can only truly interpret it when incorporating other variables.

I agree with your point in chief.

However, for a pitcher acquired for a championship run, W/L is really the ONLY thing that matters. There are no moral victories.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Where are the unlucky Hall of Fame starting pitchers with career losing records? There must be at least one in 150 years of baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
I'm not saying that there are HOF guys out there screwed over. I never said that. But Quintana is a prime example. Why do people want to look at his W/L as some sort of barometer (it's pronounced thermometer) of success? He played for awful teams and had incredibly low run support. Had he pitched on a winning club, he'd have a string of 17-6 seasons, not 11-11 seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am 

good dolphin wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
I'm simply amazed that people continue to cite W/L while breaking down trades or analyzing pitchers.

Why?

W/L has very little use in determining a player's value. Anybody who has watched Quintana pitch since he came into the league knows that he's not what people associate with a .500 pitcher. You can pitch for awful teams your entire career, but because your team never scored more than 2 runs per game, you wind up 10 games under.

People need to first use the eye test. People like Silvy, who have never watched more than 30 seconds of White Sox baseball, just throw things out there, like "ehhh, he's not really established yet."

Second, use peripherals. How's his control? Does he miss bats? Does poor fielding behind him hurt?

W/L is rather useless. It's like +/- in hockey. It holds muted value. It's not completely useless, but you can only truly interpret it when incorporating other variables.

I agree with your point in chief.

However, for a pitcher acquired for a championship run, W/L is really the ONLY thing that matters. There are no moral victories.

Team W/L matters. Whether a relief pitcher or starting pitcher gets the W isn't terribly important.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
ChiefWampum wrote:
You should probably use the ear test, and actually listen to Silvy. While its very clear he is a Cubs fan, its also clear that he watches a lot more than 30 seconds of White Sox games.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
ChiefWampum wrote:
I'm not saying that there are HOF guys out there screwed over. I never said that. But Quintana is a prime example. Why do people want to look at his W/L as some sort of barometer (it's pronounced thermometer) of success? He played for awful teams and had incredibly low run support. Had he pitched on a winning club, he'd have a string of 17-6 seasons, not 11-11 seasons.

So he couldn't overcome the high-stress environment of knowing that he had to be his best to win.

That doesn't sound like a stud pitcher. It sounds like a nice #3.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am 

Would you rather have Zach Davies, because he has an 11-4 record?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

So he couldn't overcome the high-stress environment of knowing that he had to be his best to win.

There's no evidence to support that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

Sure I do.

He won 48% of his games with the Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am 
Site Admin

ChiefWampum wrote:
Had he pitched on a winning club, he'd have a string of 17-6 seasons, not 11-11 seasons.

That's nothing but speculation, and I believe incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

Sure I do.

He won 48% of his games with the Sox.
While at the same time, Chris Sale was winning over 60% of his games with the Sox...as JOrr correctly pointed out a few days ago.

When evaluating a player, looking at only one stat is just as foolish as completely ignoring a so-called antiquated stat like W-L or RBI.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Had he pitched on a winning club, he'd have a string of 17-6 seasons, not 11-11 seasons.

You're right, we'll never know, but I believe that assessing a pitcher's value on W/L is speculative as well. Just look at Zach Davies. 11-5. Must be great! Wainwright 10-5, but having a poor season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Admin

ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

You're right, we'll never know, but I believe that assessing a pitcher's value on W/L is speculative as well. Just look at Zach Davies. 11-5. Must be great! Wainwright 10-5, but having a poor season.

Let's not look at a 16 decision sample. Quintana has started 170 big league games. There was another guy on the same "terrible" teams that produced a .600 winning percentage. One of the reasons the teams were terrible is because their second best starter couldn't produce winning records.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

ChiefWampum wrote:
You can pitch for awful teams your entire career, but because your team never scored more than 2 runs per game, you wind up 10 games under.

Can you give me an example of the guy you describe?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

Let's not look at a 16 decision sample. Quintana has started 170 big league games. There was another guy on the same "terrible" teams that produced a .600 winning percentage. One of the reasons the teams were terrible is because their second best starter couldn't produce winning records.

One of those guys is one of the three best pitchers in baseball; the other is clearly not. What's the argument there? I'm not trying to say Quintana is Sale, but without the luck. I'm just saying he is capable of winning more games than his record would indicate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:05 pm 

JORR, a reasoned poster, should know that Quintana is a better pitcher than some .500 fodder that's around the league.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:06 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
JORR, a reasoned poster, should know that Quintana is a better pitcher than some .500 fodder that's around the league.

You new here?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
ChiefWampum wrote:

Reasoned about almost everything other than Quintana.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 pm 

Wins is the original made up stat. It tells you absolutely nothing about how a pitcher permformed in a game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

Haven't I demonstrated to you, multiple times, the relationship between run support and W/L% for pitchers who are average-or-better in their peripherals?

That's right, I have:

Pitchers with good peripheral stats can have their W/L% impacted by as much as 40% (44% with a polynomial relationship) by the linear relationship between run support and W/L%.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

ChiefWampum wrote:

Why are you so sure he is better than his actual W/L record? There were other pitchers in those games who actually pitched better than he did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Keyser Soze wrote:
Wins is the original made up stat. It tells you absolutely nothing about how a pitcher permformed in a game.

It tells you the most important thing- if he pitched better or worse than the guy(s) he faced.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

Haven't I demonstrated to you, multiple times, the relationship between run support and W/L% for pitchers who are average-or-better in their peripherals?

That's right, I have:

Pitchers with good peripheral stats can have their W/L% impacted by as much as 40% (44% with a polynomial relationship) by the linear relationship between run support and W/L%.

That's a theory. Another theory is that some guys just don't win. And I'm betting Quintana isn't much above .500 on the Mighty Cubs. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

It tells you the most important thing- if he pitched better or worse than the guy(s) he faced.

Not necessarily true. Bullpens blow leads, errors lead to extended innings, no run support = much lower likelihood of winning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Looking at wins and losses to evaluate a player is extremely simplistic. It's fine at the end of a career because it's such a large sample size. But GM's would be dumb to use it as an indicator of future performance. There are better indicators.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
JLN, would you show a plot of ERA vs W/L %? I bet the R^2 is higher for that metric. Total wins and W/L % matter over a career because they show longevity and success, but they are quite volatile in the short term as Leash notes.

All pitchers are impacted by runs scored, crappy bullpens or defense, so to some degree that stuff balances out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

As opposed to the evidence he'd have a 17-6 record if he pitched for a
winning team?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Looking at wins and losses to evaluate a player is extremely simplistic. It's fine at the end of a career because it's such a large sample size. But GM's would be dumb to use it as an indicator of future performance. There are better indicators.

For pitchers overall regardless of peripheral performance, ERA predicts 48% of W/L%. For "good" peripheral pitchers, that drops to 32%.

The ERA relationship might explain the diminished returns for run support, because as ERA increases towards the upper limit of run support, your team actually scoring runs for you matters less and less, because you can't stop the other team from scoring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

As opposed to the evidence he'd have a 17-6 record if he pitched for a
winning team?

Historical evidence suggests that if he just played for a better offensive team, his W/L% would increase, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Wins is the original made up stat. It tells you absolutely nothing about how a pitcher performed in a game.

Not necessarily true. Bullpens blow leads, errors lead to extended innings, no run support = much lower likelihood of winning.

If you leave the game with the lead and nobody on you can't lose. If you're really a top pitcher (and in today's game you aren't really expected to go more than 6 innings) you should be leaving the game with the lead a great majority of the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next