It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ChiefWampum wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Can't wait for the HOF to put a .500 pitcher in next to Tom Seaver because his WAR and WHiP were so good.

Nobody is suggesting he's a hof pitcher, how many other guys in the AL have an era below 3.5 in a hitters park and are 50-54 ?

Aren't the guys who are allowing less than Quintana in the games he pitches pitching in the same ballparks?

You're assuming the starting pitchers he's going against are allowing fewer runs in all 54 of those losses.

No, I'm not. Obviously sometimes multiple pitchers combine to allow less than Quintana. I'm not criticizing Quintana's workload. That has value.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
There have been 67 starters since 2012 to throw at least 750 innings. Quintana is 64th in per game Run Support.

Here are the top 5:

Max Scherzer (3.96)
David Price (3.95)
CJ Wilson (3.83)
Clayton Kershaw (3.68)
Adam Wainwright (3.65)

So is your point that those guys are overrated, CJ Wilson seems to be the only one to stand out on that list though.

Maybe run support is a function of a team playing their ass off when they know a stud is on the mound??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Hank Scorpio wrote:
There have been 67 starters since 2012 to throw at least 750 innings. Quintana is 64th in per game Run Support.

Here are the top 5:

Max Scherzer (3.96)
David Price (3.95)
CJ Wilson (3.83)
Clayton Kershaw (3.68)
Adam Wainwright (3.65)

So is your point that those guys are overrated, CJ Wilson seems to be the only one to stand out on that list though.

Maybe run support is a function of a team playing their ass off when they know a stud is on the mound??

Oh, come on, Hank.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Juice's stats clarify a lot of this discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Here are the top 5:

Max Scherzer (3.96)
David Price (3.95)
CJ Wilson (3.83)
Clayton Kershaw (3.68)
Adam Wainwright (3.65)

No, it's that most of those guys are well above .500. In fact....

For this data set, more than 60% of W/L% is explained by per start Run Support.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm 

They are also well above .500 because they are some of the best pitchers in MLB. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I want to be wrong. I want JLN to bump this thread in October and call me a dumbass.

I know.

I felt the same way. Eventually you come to realize he isn't some elite pitcher. He's ok.

I don't really see anyone arguing as such except maybe 312.

The argument is simply that Quintana's W-L record isn't reflective of how good he is. I don't even understand how it's controversial unless someone is literally saying W-L record is the only indicator of pitcher performance.

The references to hall of fame pitchers don't even make sense. I think most agree that over an entire career, W-L records have a large enough sample to tell you how good the pitcher is, so quoting lifetime stats in defense of W-L isn't really even addressing the argument. But a couple seasons can absolutely be skewed.

Jake Arrieta has the 8th most wins in the NL this year. How many think he has been the 8th best pitcher in the NL?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
They are also well above .500 because they are some of the best pitchers in MLB. :lol:

Except that doesn't explain the correlation between W/L% and per start run support. These are all guys that have been good enough to throw 700 innings in the MLB in the last 5 seasons, so we should expect there to be little to no correlation to their W/L% and true run support, if W/L% was as good an indicator of pitching skill as others believe it to be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I want to be wrong. I want JLN to bump this thread in October and call me a dumbass.

I know.

I felt the same way. Eventually you come to realize he isn't some elite pitcher. He's ok.

The argument is simply that Quintana's W-L record isn't reflective of how good he is. I don't even understand how it's controversial unless someone is literally saying W-L record is the only indicator of pitcher performance.

The references to hall of fame pitchers don't even make sense. I think most agree that over an entire career, W-L records have a large enough sample to tell you how good the pitcher is, so quoting lifetime stats in defense of W-L isn't really even addressing the argument. But a couple seasons can absolutely be skewed.

Jake Arrieta has the 8th most wins in the NL this year. How many think he has been the 8th best pitcher in the NL?

When is it fair to use W/L? Only at the end of a career? This isn't a single season sample size. I typically like my pitchers to win more games than they lose. I'm old fashioned though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Except that doesn't explain the correlation between W/L% and per start run support. These are all guys that have been good enough to throw 700 innings in the MLB in the last 5 seasons, so we should expect there to be little to no correlation to their W/L% and true run support, if W/L% was as good an indicator of pitching skill as others believe it to be.

Just out of curiosity, in the same sample (700 IP in the last 5 seasons) who are the top in WL%?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
To put the above in context, over the last 3 seasons, the league-average starter got 3.04 runs of support per start.

Wait league avg is 3.04 and he's gotten 2.76? So the difference is a quarter of a run (or nothing since that doesn't exist).

Dont do that.

Unless you're ready to say a 3.01 ERA and 4.00 are equal too. Or that a 1.99 Whip is the same as 1.01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm 

One thing is for certain. Anyone that ever complains about the tedious nature of any basketball thread while ignoring this is full of shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I know.

When is it fair to use W/L? Only at the end of a career? This isn't a single season sample size. I typically like my pitchers to win more games than they lose. I'm old fashioned though.

What are you trying to do? Compare hall-of-famers or make an educated about whether you would want a particular player (predicting their future success)? If it is the latter, I would never use W/L, personally. I'm not old fashioned though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank gets it.

I know.

Here's a logical compromise. Anyone willing to take it, and end the thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
One thing is for certain. Anyone that ever complains about the tedious nature of any basketball thread while ignoring this is full of shit.

I find this to be completely tedious, too, but I can't stop responding sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm 

Hitters relax and hit better when the ACE is on the mound cause its WIN DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
To put the above in context, over the last 3 seasons, the league-average starter got 3.04 runs of support per start.

Wait league avg is 3.04 and he's gotten 2.76? So the difference is a quarter of a run (or nothing since that doesn't exist).

Dont do that.

Unless you're ready to say a 3.01 ERA and 4.00 are equal too. Or that a 1.99 Whip is the same as 1.01

That's misrepresenting it though. .99 is a hell of a lot more concrete than .28 when it comes to a full run scored.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm 

This argument boils down to one thing. Do you believe all offenses are pretty much the same? If so, JORR makes sense. If not, he doesnt.

That's the real argument.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hitters relax and hit better when the ACE is on the mound cause its WIN DAY

:lol: :lol:

I'll accept this rather than assume Kershaw is only good because he has the best run support over his career.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I find this to be completely tedious, too, but I can't stop responding sometimes.

I feel the same way about the hoops talk. Something tells me I will be longing for the days of a good Jimmy Buckets diss session come Dec. Wont have the same bang with him playing in Minnesota. It's a certain irony with having him Thibs and Taj all in the same spot though :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
This argument boils down to one thing. Do you believe all offenses are pretty much the same? If so, JORR makes sense. If not, he doesnt.

Correct. This is the other argument I've made in this discussion. If that theory is true, then why do teams even try to obtain good hitting? Just dedicate all your resources to starting pitching. After all, over the course of an average game, Ronny Cedeno probably produces a similar number of runs as some college chick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
It sucks when those pesky stats get in the way of your point!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

They aren't all the same but a pitcher doesn't only go up against the #1 runs scored team every single start.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
LTG is right and I want to document I tire of this as much as Butler top ten talk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:

So we're in agreement that Quintana isn't an elite pitcher. He's a good middle of the rotation guy.

If so, great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm 

Yeah, if people want to concede that Quintana is just a guy and not worthy of what we gave up... I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

So we're in agreement that Quintana isn't an elite pitcher. He's a good middle of the rotation guy.

If so, great.

I have no opinion on the matter. I've only seen him pitch once and didn't know he existed prior to that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If so, great.

I have no opinion on the matter. I've only seen him pitch once and didn't know he existed prior to that.

I hate you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If so, great.

Then your opinion should be that he's a HOF! 12Ks 0.00 ERA!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I used to think that Quintana was a statistical anomaly where he actually was a lot better than his W-L record suggested. I can think of at least three times right off the top of my head where Ventura played the righty-lefty bullpen match ups late in a game, and the Sox lost 2-1 instead of winning 1-0.

Having watched Q over the last 2-3 pretty dreadful seasons of Sox baseball, he generally gives runs right back when the Sox score, and he definitely as trouble pitching over a defensive mistake.

You can do a lot worse than Jose Quintana in your rotation, but I predicted him to be a 2-4 pitcher with the Cubs and even thought he is 50% of the way to w wins, I don't expect him to be above .500 this season for the Cubs. His other numbers will probably be pretty good though.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next