It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Like I've said before, the sponsors are the people who can pull the strings, if you want changes to this show.

Safe to say at least one powerful sponsor agrees with Chuck's thoughts.

Either that or a powerful sponsor agrees with Jason's thoughts but also thinks it's terrible and potentially controversial radio that he doesn't want to sponsor.

And that's why it has taken sponsors this long—assuming something was said, obviously—to make rumblings about not wanting to be associated with this kind of show: People immediately stating that any kind of discomfort is an explicit, even tacit, endorsement of the opposing viewpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
OR, maybe it is taboo to talk about host's endorsement compensation in general on the air?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Minooka Meatball wrote:
OR, maybe it is taboo to talk about host's endorsement compensation in general on the air?

You wanna know sumtin? Da reason ya lissen to da Score is cuz ya like da freewheelin' style we established. Udderwise ya'd be lissenin' to da Mouse. Da Score waz built on jus' da kinda honesty Jason was givin' ya. Tony's Deli! My Guyz!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:47 pm 

Maybe Goff just shouldn't ever mention a product on air.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Maybe Goff just shouldn't ever mention a product on air.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm 

The worst thing Goff did was personalize it. He should not have made it about his personal struggles with racism. In one breadth he attempted to establish a distinction between himself and other blacks (Range Rover/Jalopy) and in the next he is screaming how America is a racist society. He also could have addressed the guys point. There was some validity to what the guy stated regardless of whether he is racist or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
The comment started out as a recounting of the times he was pulled over in Park Ridge for no apparent reason other than driving while black. He said it wasn't like he drove some old "jalopy." But instead of leaving it at that, he qualified it further, saying he drove a Range Rover.

He also talked about how he makes money on all his ad "reads." How does that work...do he and other hosts get paid because they are the ones landing the deals? If CBS wants them to read some ad copy, shouldn't it be considered part of their salary? Why should they get extra for reading a commercial? I guess that must be standard in the industry.

Yes, Jason gets extra money for those reads because they are personal endorsements. It's not a lot of money, because it's radio, and the client is Keller-Williams Infinity or Ghost Bed.

A free car is a lot of money.

If that's one of his perks, then yeah, that's great. I just didn't think the Infinity dealership would be leasing him a Land Rover.

They wouldn't be.

They may be providing one for free if he reads there spots. It was a very common thing when i worked there. Mac and Boers were driving freebies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:13 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
And I doubt the target demo of 25-54 year old male sports fans is a real socially conscious one.

This is key. And while I think I'm pretty socially conscious, I don't look to the Score for that any more than I look to ice cream for dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 pm 

well, let's 2017 meme this shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
It has always been in the past that radio stars and Bears never paid to drive cars. The big ones had deals to endorse/read and they drove demos. Maybe this has waned? I believe Bernsie said he drives his own cars. Anyway, if they haven't already I would watch for the IRS to count that as income.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 pm 

I like how everyone takes hatersgonhate words as gospel truth because it's something they want to be true.

If he said the Goff got a congratulations on this, there'd be 7 Pages saying it's bullshit and accusing him of actually being Goff or one of Goff's friends.

something about this doesn't seem right I don't think that they would suspend Jason for something like that

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I've heard he's gone for a month.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Just listening to this now. Jason starts out pretty calm. Ahh but the Park Ridge/Range Rover, Hahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I like how everyone takes hatersgonhate words as gospel truth because it's something they want to be true.

If he said the Goff got a congratulations on this, there'd be 7 Pages saying it's bullshit and accusing him of actually being Goff or one of Goff's friends.

something about this doesn't seem right I don't think that they would suspend Jason for something like that

He's out again today, which I think lends credence to the theory that the rumored "soft suspension" is bullshit. Maybe he's just cashing in some vacation days before the Bears/Bulls seasons begin.

leashyourkids wrote:

Yeah, uh-huh, that's what my guy says too, yep.

Curious Hair wrote:
well, let's 2017 meme this shit

Would, would not, would, although the would not is still cute.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:47 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

I'd be disappointed if he got suspended for that little spiel. It sounded genuine and heartfelt as opposed to the usual faux outrage of sports radio guys. It really sickens me that he would get pulled over three times in Park Ridge for no apparent reason. The divide in this country will never be healed when there is such disparate treatment of groups.

I'd prefer they stick to sports, but then again, I have a choice in what to listen to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:53 pm 

denisdman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'd be disappointed if he got suspended for that little spiel. It sounded genuine and heartfelt as opposed to the usual faux outrage of sports radio guys. It really sickens me that he would get pulled over three times in Park Ridge for no apparent reason. The divide in this country will never be healed when there is such disparate treatment of groups.

I'd prefer they stick to sports, but then again, I have a choice in what to listen to.

I don't think he got suspended, but for the moment let's assume that he did. IF he did, it wouldn't be for the rant itself, it would be for saying things on the air that made sponsors threaten to pull their ads or pull them outright from the show. Mitch may not want to suspend him, especially because it would appear that he would be on suspension for decrying racism (which, I agree, he shouldn't be suspended for), but JBills is totally right when he says the sponsors wield almost as much power as the PD, and more than any one or group of listeners.

Now [snap] back to reality, and Goff isn't suspended, he's just taking a long weekend in late August to enjoy the city/friends/family.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I don't think he got suspended, but for the moment let's assume that he did. IF he did, it wouldn't be for the rant itself, it would be for saying things on the air that made sponsors threaten to pull their ads or pull them outright from the show. Mitch may not want to suspend him, especially because it would appear that he would be on suspension for decrying racism (which, I agree, he shouldn't be suspended for), but JBills is totally right when he says the sponsors wield almost as much power as the PD, and more than any one or group of listeners.

Now [snap] back to reality, and Goff isn't suspended, he's just taking a long weekend in late August to enjoy the city/friends/family.

How could he NOT enjoy it tooling around in that fancy Range Rover!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:04 pm 

Other than being an angry black man what could he be suspended for?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
HGHate has been right on at least one thing so far that was "inside info". I'm inclined to trust him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:10 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
HGHate has been right on at least one thing so far that was "inside info". I'm inclined to trust him.

What WAS that? Maybe we're thinking of the same thing...was it Matty related?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Like, specifically, aside from the general "driving away advertisers"? Not sure, such things would be described in the language of his contract.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:14 pm 

There's also the very real possibility that Goff was the target of threats by crazy racist assholes after the bit with Chuck, and was given the rest of the week off to let things cool down, and just isn't prostrating himself on twitter over it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:15 pm 

Yeah, we've all seen the text screen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
City of Fools wrote:

What WAS that? Maybe we're thinking of the same thing...was it Matty related?

I honestly can't remember. I just remember thinking initially the guy was actually Larry Homles, then being disabused of that notion, but he was correct on some detail that only someone inside the station would know. Wasn't all that recent...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:19 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Like, specifically, aside from the general "driving away advertisers"? Not sure, such things would be described in the language of his contract.

No one knows that for sure. If the sponsors applied pressure because Goff went off on racist white guy then Goff and his "people" have a gripe also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

No one knows that for sure.

No, we don't know for sure, but what we can be confident in is that Jason isn't allowed to do or say whatever he wants without reprisal from his employer. And given what we know about how radio stations make money, it stands to reason that a sub-section of the part of his contract detailing acceptable reasoning for that reprisal has to do with addressing and handling sponsors directly or indirectly. Jason has had a bit of trouble with sponsors in the past, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:27 pm 

He was NOT suspended, but is taking days off at the station's request. There's a difference, but the intent is the same.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I doubt it's a suspension given the time of year. This is the last dead month before their biggest season. You take your off days now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next