It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
At least 20 minutes of the show won't suck.

Last edited by Ron Wolfley on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
"exit velo" needs to be added to the Bernstein bingo card.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:31 pm 

Remember when everyone was so quick to want to have Terry replaced, and now that he was replaced everyone hates his replacement? That's pretty funny isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I assume you meant 9/13?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Yeah umm thats what my guys says too yup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I'm in for this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Remember when everyone was so quick to want to have Terry replaced, and now that he was replaced everyone hates his replacement? That's pretty funny isn't it?

I don't remember people clamoring for him to be replaced as much as wanting the "old Terry" to come back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't remember people clamoring for him to be replaced as much as wanting the "old Terry" to come back.
You recall incorrectly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I miss the Old Terry
the TB Diddler Terry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Bernstein's #1 fan creates a straw man , how rich!

People wanted - I somewhat care - Terry to come back... Very few were excited to see him go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Bernstein's #1 fan creates a straw man , how rich!

People wanted - I somewhat care - Terry to come back... Very few were excited to see him go.
Once he retired people acted a little different but for years people wanted the show or him gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
there were people who wanted him to go, but they were idiots. and a true observer and listener of the show found that ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Terry sounded good. Much better than at the end of his tenure. I wonder if he'll make all the radio rounds...including ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm 

We gonna do this?

Some long time listeners got sick of the change in tone of the entire show. It started with concussion crap (CTE!) and moved onto Penn State radio. Even before the show took a more serious turn, Terry had all but mailed it in. He offered nothing to the show, the proverbial Bernstein parrot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm 

denisdman wrote:
We gonna do this?

Some long time listeners got sick of the change in tone of the entire show. It started with concussion crap (CTE!) and moved onto Penn State radio. Even before the show took a more serious turn, Terry had all but mailed it in. He offered nothing to the show, the proverbial Bernstein parrot.

Now we get Goff, who everyone complains about too! Amazing isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
We gonna do this?

Yeah, and I am guilty of it as well. I loved Goff during the B&B tenure because he would pipe in and make a funny comment or two. I always thought he would make a great host. I continue to give the show my ear during the drive home, but I often can't make it through a full segment.

I have taken a strong liking to M&H, and I tolerate Kap even though I know it is junk.

I am a bit of a hypocrite too because I am in the "stick to sports camp", but I also liked the off topic stuff that Mac would do. I guess my distinction is that Mac's off topic stuff was light hearted, while B&G are commenting on partisan social issues. I just want the shows to be fun. I enjoy the Bears chats with Hub and ZZ.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Naturally idiots flood the phone lines when Terry starts ... gonna need an overview please and thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Don Tiny wrote:
Naturally idiots flood the phone lines when Terry starts ... gonna need an overview please and thank you.

I heard about five minutes or so. He started off by proudly saying he hasn't seen Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky in a Bears uniform and did not watch a down of the Bears / Falcons game. Great way to start an interview to promote a book called "25 Years Talking Chicago Sports."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I heard about five minutes or so. He started off by proudly saying he hasn't seen Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky in a Bears uniform and did not watch a down of the Bears / Falcons game. Great way to start an interview to promote a book called "25 Years Talking Chicago Sports."

That's the spirit. Don't let the fact that he retired get in the way of complaining about him!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
We gonna do this?

Yeah, and I am guilty of it as well. I loved Goff during the B&B tenure because he would pipe in and make a funny comment or two. I always thought he would make a great host. I continue to give the show my ear during the drive home, but I often can't make it through a full segment.

I have taken a strong liking to M&H, and I tolerate Kap even though I know it is junk.

I am a bit of a hypocrite too because I am in the "stick to sports camp", but I also liked the off topic stuff that Mac would do. I guess my distinction is that Mac's off topic stuff was light hearted, while B&G are commenting on partisan social issues. I just want the shows to be fun. I enjoy the Bears chats with Hub and ZZ.

Jason was great when he was a producer and would just chime in with a "these old white guys are crazy" vibe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Anthony Harren is fantastic. They should just go ahead and add him every day thru football season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
City of Fools wrote:
Anthony Harren is fantastic. They should just go ahead and add him every day thru football season.

He is very good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
If they want Harren, they had better lock him in soon - he is getting a lot of love from other markets that have him on as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

He often said he would never watch sports other than horse racing once he retired.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
denisdman wrote:

I think that is the essence. We're listening because we are sick of dealing with work issues or family issues or any other number of things. I want to be entertained by a caller who doesn't think LeBron belongs in the top 10 players in the league. I want to hear a Mike from Milwaukee telling me to pick Cal plus the points this weekend. Stories about TB cruising around as a youth in Harvey and Homewood. All of the entertaining High Noon stuff and Second Hand News. I want to listen to old war stories about producing for Murph.
If I want to listen to something harder hitting, I'm tuning into NPR or downloading a Politico podcast. But this is supposed to be an escape. I don't mind hearing something about how the NBA is discouraging tanking, or if Goodell should be in charge of discipline, but I'd like a nice mix of maybe 60% sports, 10% serious sports, and 30% just fun stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
newper wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I think that is the essence. We're listening because we are sick of dealing with work issues or family issues or any other number of things. I want to be entertained by a caller who doesn't think LeBron belongs in the top 10 players in the league. I want to hear a Mike from Milwaukee telling me to pick Cal plus the points this weekend. Stories about TB cruising around as a youth in Harvey and Homewood. All of the entertaining High Noon stuff and Second Hand News. I want to listen to old war stories about producing for Murph.
If I want to listen to something harder hitting, I'm tuning into NPR or downloading a Politico podcast. But this is supposed to be an escape. I don't mind hearing something about how the NBA is discouraging tanking, or if Goodell should be in charge of discipline, but I'd like a nice mix of maybe 60% sports, 10% serious sports, and 30% just fun stuff.

I am with you guys. What I do not get is where was the market research to say the audience demanded hard hitting radio? Besides Bernsie's mood I mean. They can say ratings are good but they were also good before this trend as well. Idk, I have been out of their audience and am fine.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
It all seems so obvious, no?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
pittmike wrote:
newper wrote:
...but I'd like a nice mix of maybe 60% sports, 10% serious sports, and 30% just fun stuff.

I am with you guys. What I do not get is where was the market research to say the audience demanded hard hitting radio? Besides Bernsie's mood I mean. They can say ratings are good but they were also good before this trend as well. Idk, I have been out of their audience and am fine.

One other thing, my percentages are off because I forgot to reserve 45% of the time for commercials. Probably one of the main reasons I don't listen to radio as much anymore; there are way way too many commercials. These program clocks are like 8 minutes at the top of the hour, then what, three more blocks of 6 minutes in there?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
newper wrote:
pittmike wrote:
newper wrote:
...but I'd like a nice mix of maybe 60% sports, 10% serious sports, and 30% just fun stuff.

One other thing, my percentages are off because I forgot to reserve 45% of the time for commercials. Probably one of the main reasons I don't listen to radio as much anymore; there are way way too many commercials. These program clocks are like 8 minutes at the top of the hour, then what, three more blocks of 6 minutes in there?

Yeah.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
pittmike wrote:
newper wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I agree with you guys. Another major criticism I have is that Goff talks too damn much. I have listened to the last couple transitions and everyone but Goff talks and interacts and then Goff gets the floor and talks 3 times as long as everyone else and says nothing of consequence. He goes off on tangents and has to slowly explain a basic point. I love that Parkins talks fast and works through obvious sports thoughts quickly without stopping to explain what a knowledgeable sports fan already knows. Parkins and Bernstein is where the Score needs to go to in the afternoons.

But it was great to hear the last couple minutes of TB. I was mostly indifferent to him retiring but I'd love to have him back.