It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:07 pm 

Terry coming back would not help that show. It's been dead for a long time.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:12 am 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
Goff being bad doesn't make Terry any better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Big Gunt wrote:

True, but Goff is way below replacement level. I still enjoyed the show with all the replacement hosts while Boers was out. I don't listen to B&G.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 am 

Big Gunt wrote:
There comes a point when it isn't about the individuals. Everyone has complained about Bernstein for years but that is kind of what he wants. Everyone complained about Terry. Now everyone complains about Goff. I'm sure if Goff retired that you guys would all complain about the next guy.

All the while claiming you don't listen, or only listen by accident, or only listen to transition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I listened to him talk about how he'd like to write another sports book. About how he'd like to write a novel. About how he'd like to do a book of short stories. About how he'd like to write a book for 7 to 12 year olds. He said the publishers tend to pigeonhole writers and it was hard for him to get published in other genres. He must consider himself to be the next Hemingway! He has a very high opinion of himself for a guy that had difficulty penning a decent Bulls column for the Sun Times!

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: Taylor St
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

All the while claiming you don't listen, or only listen by accident, or only listen to transition.

Don't forget people who don't listen or care then carry their grievances to other threads unrelated to the show. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:
There comes a point when it isn't about the individuals. Everyone has complained about Bernstein for years but that is kind of what he wants. Everyone complained about Terry. Now everyone complains about Goff. I'm sure if Goff retired that you guys would all complain about the next guy.

Not sure about that. Parkins for example has created a complete turnaround in the attitudes people have toward the midday show.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

When the general consensus among people who once counted themselves fans of the show pretty much agree that Boers was awful the last 6 years and also say Goff is terrible are probably just complaining to complain too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 am 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

Not sure about that. Parkins for example has created a complete turnaround in the attitudes people have toward the midday show.

Just wait. He replaced Goff who was already getting a lot of complaints on here. Parkins time will come.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

Just wait. He replaced Goff who was already getting a lot of complaints on here. Parkins time will come.

I don't think so but we will see. Parkins has even softened criticism of Spiegs. Also, keep in mind when Mac was on there was similar feelings. Personalities really are the most important things as it pertains to talk radio.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

Mike just essentially proved your point wrong so now it's "just wait and see ". :lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

Rick as much support you show for Mr. Bernstein I thought I would do you a favor...Dan is ....NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER going to fuck you. You need to move on! You can do it! We ALL believe in YOU!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

So you think people like to say they don't listen but actually do? Are people saying they don't listen to try to annoy fans of the show on this forum? I don't understand this mindset that you are accusing people of. Is hate listening embarrassing and something one needs to hide? Or do you not understand that someone might occasionally turn on a station when driving and catch a few minutes or maybe an entire segment of a show? In your world does this mean that someone listens to the show? When I drive I flip through a dozen different channels on both sides of the dial but I wouldn't say I am listener of any of those stations. The only show podcast I download and listen to is S&P so I would say I am listener of that show. If you didn't know, Transition is included in S&P.

Last edited by DAC on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

Mike just essentially proved your point wrong so now it's "just wait and see ". :lol:
He didn't prove me wrong.

If we get Parkins and Bernstein people will complain still.

I thought you didn't listen? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am 

DAC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

So you think people like to say they don't listen but actually do? Are people saying they don't listen to try to annoy fans of the show on this forum? I don't understand this mindset that you are accusing people of. Is hate listening embarrassing and something one needs to hide? Or do you not understand that someone might occasionally turn on a station when driving and catch a few minutes or maybe an entire segment of a show? In your world does this mean that someone listens to the show? When I drive I flip through a dozen different channels on both sides of the dial but I wouldn't say I am listener of any of those stations. The only show podcast I download and listen to is S&P so I would say I am listener of that show. If you didn't know, Transition is included in S&P.
I don't know why people claim not to listen but can still give many specifics about what they don't like on the show. Maybe badrogue and pittmike can fill us in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

I don't know why people claim not to listen but can still give many specifics about what they don't like on the show. Maybe badrogue and pittmike can fill us in.

You will be hard pressed to find any specific mentioned by me about this show in the last 4 plus months. Any other specifics I mention are form past listening or reacting to things posted here. Prior to my stopping I never denied or felt bad about hate listening hoping for improvement.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Big Gunt wrote:

He didn't prove me wrong.

If we get Parkins and Bernstein people will complain still.

I thought you didn't listen? :lol:

If that came to be then you would have to say logically then that the individual personality Bernsie is the problem. After, being hated with three different hosts there must be a reason.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 am 

I still like Goff. Not as much as I used to. I liked hearing his take on the Charlottesville thing but I felt it was a bit watered down by the fact that he goes on that diatribe often. I wish he wasn't so sensitive to legitimate criticism as well. In general I don't have a problem with his politics, sense of humor, or sports talk. I guess my main complaint is that years ago he seemed to have a much more "everyman" type vibe, where now he acts much more like a know it all expert type on every subject. I expect this trend to continue to get worse, not better.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I still like Goff. Not as much as I used to. I liked hearing his take on the Charlottesville thing but I felt it was a bit watered down by the fact that he goes on that diatribe often. I wish he wasn't so sensitive to legitimate criticism as well. In general I don't have a problem with his politics, sense of humor, or sports talk. I guess my main complaint is that years ago he seemed to have a much more "everyman" type vibe, where now he acts much more like a know it all expert type on every subject. I expect this trend to continue to get worse, not better.

My opinion generally as well.

I have said it before, he teased "the regular guy" radio with Mike North for so long that I think he is afraid to appear hypocritical by adopting the style. However, when you listen to his speech pattern, he is a "dees, dem and does" linguist. He is a drop out. He likes to explore the topic of race and treat the discussion irreverently. The two essential came from the same part of the city. I shake my head at him adopting the Bernstein "hosts talking at fans" style when he grew up with and loved the North "fans talking to fans" style. It is like a vote against interest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am 

I go back and forth between this and Silvy Waddle.

Both are bad.

Bernstein and Goff try too hard to make marginally funny things seem hilarious, imo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Rick, I disagree that it's all automatic hatred. We all tend to point out the bad traits of hosts. I mean, I like Terry as a person, but it was a little absurd for a sports radio host to not ever watch or attend a single sporting event. That said, I still thought he was funny and brought positives to the show.

I literally can't find one redeeming trait for Goff (for my taste). To me, he is bad at every single aspect of radio, and I also used to like him when he was just piping in w/ B and B. Those were the Halcyon Days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

My opinion generally as well.

I have said it before, he teased "the regular guy" radio with Mike North for so long that I think he is afraid to appear hypocritical by adopting the style. However, when you listen to his speech pattern, he is a "dees, dem and does" linguist. He is a drop out. He likes to explore the topic of race and treat the discussion irreverently. The two essential came from the same part of the city. I shake my head at him adopting the Bernstein "hosts talking at fans" style when he grew up with and loved the North "fans talking to fans" style.

I like what you both wrote and I have doubts about much of any of it being remotely inaccurate.

good dolphin wrote:
It is like a vote against interest.

Well, it seems that's quite in fashion at the present time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
leashyourkids wrote:
I literally can't find one redeeming trait for Goff (for my taste). To me, he is bad at every single aspect of radio,.

I'd insert that Robert Redford nod gif here but can't access on my work computer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Bernstein and Goff try too hard to make marginally funny things seem hilarious, imo.

I have noticed that, too. Especially from Bernstein...even when Terry was still there.

You know you're being set up to be disappointed when he does that. It's like you're going out with he and his GF who is "bringing someone for you." You are assured that she's into sports and has a great personality, but it's Julie. She's wearing a dish towel as a hijab because she #Standswith_____ and hands you a copy of Letters from a Birmingham Jail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:29 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
I literally can't find one redeeming trait for Goff (for my taste). To me, he is bad at every single aspect of radio, and I also used to like him when he was just piping in w/ B and B. Those were the Halcyon Days.

Obviously this is all subjective but I find that unreasonably harsh. At his best, Goff is a fun listen and talks about sports in a way that reminds me of a lot of us at RTS just bullshitting. Unfortunately, those days are becoming more and more scarce, but I think it's crazy to say you can't find one redeeming trait in him. Leave that talk for your boy Rozner.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Then what is the redeeming quality? He's loud, rude, laughs constantly, and has bad thoughts.

I'd take Rozner over him every time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Obviously this is all subjective but I find that unreasonably harsh. At his best, Goff is a fun listen and talks about sports in a way that reminds me of a lot of us at RTS just bullshitting. Unfortunately, those days are becoming more and more scarce, but I think it's crazy to say you can't find one redeeming trait in him. Leave that talk for your boy Rozner.

Haha. Rozner is so excited about the young golfers while being pained by Tiger's absence. He now includes, "the Tiger generation", or some comment to that effect in all his golf columns about the young talent in PGA golf. He literally strokes Tiger in the way he used to with Ryno. They play golf because of Tiger. They hit the ball long because of Tiger. They are in better shape than previous generations because of Tiger. The purses are larger because of Tiger. He may be right, but I just can't stand Rozner. UGHHH.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Then what is the redeeming quality? He's loud, rude, laughs constantly, and has bad thoughts.

FavreFan wrote:
At his best, Goff is a fun listen and talks about sports in a way that reminds me of a lot of us at RTS just bullshitting.

I find Rozner to be the worst sports radio host I have ever heard. His "comedy" bits are worse than Harry's and he runs them into the ground to a breathtakingly awful degree. He provides ZERO insight into any sports. I think Matt Spiegel is one of the worst radio hosts I have ever listened to somewhat regularly and I find him superior to Rozner in almost every facet of the job.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am 

denisdman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Haha. Rozner is so excited about the young golfers while being pained by Tiger's absence. He now includes, "the Tiger generation", or some comment to that effect in all his golf columns about the young talent in PGA golf. He literally strokes Tiger in the way he used to with Ryno. They play golf because of Tiger. They hit the ball long because of Tiger. They are in better shape than previous generations because of Tiger. The purses are larger because of Tiger. He may be right, but I just can't stand Rozner. UGHHH.

Forgot about that. In many scenarios, talking about golf regularly would be a sports radio host's worse trait. With Rozner, it somehow doesn't crack the top 20.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
9/11 column excerpt:

"Not since the haughty days of Tiger Woods tearing apart Cog Hill has the BMW Championship had such reason to feel on top of the golf world.

When Woods was destroying the field in the third leg of the FedEx Cup Playoffs, circa 2007 and 2009 and sandwiching his ACL season, Dubsdread was a destination.

Now, the "Tiger Wave" invades Conway Farms in Lake Forest this week following two near-perfect tournaments to start the PGA Tour postseason."

Tiger Wave? Look out ladies!!!

9/12 column excerpt:

"The 60-footer from the back of the green on 18 at Torrey Pines felt like it took forever to get there.

But it's a green that echoes with its own memories, and instantly it had the distance, the multiple breaks and the reaction of Tiger Woods on the same surface nine years earlier."

9/13 column excerpt:

No Tiger! Woot!

Prior than those, his last golf column from 8/14:

"This will be known as the "Tiger Wave," the players in their 20s and 30s who got into the game while watching a guy named Tiger Woods.

"I'd say it's because of him, honestly," Thomas said. "I think what Tiger did, you can't put into words what he did and continues to do for this game. I got into golf, as much as I did, watching him play in his early 20s and winning majors.""