It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Simply ask them specifically what they are doing outside of the radio station to be part of the solution.

Good luck.

Spaulding tried that here yesterday.

"There's something wrong with that" is not a question. She went full Bernstein on that take.

BTW, watched some Young Sheldon last night and it seemed like Sheldon's father is abusive so I called DCFS.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
"There's something wrong with that" is not a question. She went full Bernstein on that take.

BTW, watched some Young Sheldon last night and it seemed like Sheldon's father is abusive so I called DCFS.

That's not full Bernstein. Fake News!!!!

Please quit picking on RPB.

Safe Space warning sent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That's not full Bernstein. Fake News!!!!

Please quit picking on RPB.

Safe Space warning sent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Well, it certainly was not a question.

If someone did ask me what I do to make things better (other than posting on this board), Id have an answer.

I love the term FAKE NEWS. Hope that one sticks around.

No it wasn't a question. Someone said a racial slur out of nowhere in your presence which you are morally against and it made you uncomfortable. You don't have to have an entire discussion but you would not have been out of line to say aw that's not right or why it bothers you and be done with it. Comes off as you talking the talk here but not walking the walk so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
Comes off as you talking the talk here but not walking the walk so to speak.

Kudos to you Spaulding.

Thanks for addressing what white people really don't want to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Simply ask them specifically what they are doing outside of the radio station to be part of the solution.

Good luck.

I don't keep up with everything the board is producing these days. I wasn't pointing the post at anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Good luck.

I don't keep up with everything the board is producing these days. I wasn't pointing the post at anyone.

Nor do I.

And I didn't think that you were.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

If someone did ask me what I do to make things better (other than posting on this board), Id have an answer.

No it wasn't a question. Someone said a racial slur out of nowhere in your presence which you are morally against and it made you uncomfortable. You don't have to have an entire discussion but you would not have been out of line to say aw that's not right or why it bothers you and be done with it. Comes off as you talking the talk here but not walking the walk so to speak.

Yea, I choose my battles. Especially after losing some friendships in my youth based on calling these things out (at first really just asking Why?).

So anyway, after we left, our friends who introduced us to the lady in question, (they are like boat friends I guess), myself, and my girlfriend had a pretty long discussion about it.

At first, the guy was saying "it's just a word" and I gave him my usual retort which is "there are a million words you can use to say JERK that arent bigoted"

Then I explained how it's hard to have sympathy for him when he says "he's tired of the race card" when a discussion about head bands somehow ends up with a racial slur.

I said if you wanna be "let's get past the race thing" guy, then should probably take the racial slurs out of the playbook.

He agreed with that. (Never heard him say a slur anyway, we were talking about the wife and her husband) But he also stood his ground that he knows some good people who use those types of words and they just use slurs for everyone including whites (white trash) so it's not even necessarily a race thing.

I feel like that discussion was a lot more productive than me tellling a woman I met 5 minutes earlier, that I don't like the word she's using.

Further, I have convinced 2 friends of mine to stop using the N word casually/jokingly (took years) so I do actually walk the walk, just not with strangers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm 

Spaulding and Secrest,
Do you support fully the national anthem protests and the protests against the numerous killings of unarmed black men by police?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yea, I choose my battles. Especially after losing some friendships in my youth based on calling these things out (at first really just asking Why?).

So anyway, after we left, our friends who introduced us to the lady in question, (they are like boat friends I guess), myself, and my girlfriend had a pretty long discussion about it.

At first, the guy was saying "it's just a word" and I gave him my usual retort which is "there are a million words you can use to say JERK that arent bigoted"

Then I explained how it's hard to have sympathy for him when he says "he's tired of the race card" when a discussion about head bands somehow ends up with a racial slur.

I said if you wanna be "let's get past the race thing" guy, then should probably take the racial slurs out of the playbook.

He agreed with that. (Never heard him say a slur anyway, we were talking about the wife and her husband) But he also stood his ground that he knows some good people who use those types of words and they just use slurs for everyone including whites (white trash) so it's not even necessarily a race thing.

I feel like that discussion was a lot more productive than me tellling a woman I met 5 minutes earlier, that I don't like the word she's using.

Further, I have convinced 2 friends of mine to stop using the N word casually/jokingly (took years) so I do actually walk the walk, just not with strangers.

I would have just called you a "burrito" and moved on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:09 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
I would have just called you a "burrito" and moved on.

MANY here agree with you but wouldn't post that so kudos for being real.

See ya in the Cubs thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Spaulding and Secrest,
Do you support fully the national anthem protests and the protests against the numerous killings of unarmed black men by police?

Yeah,but hold on,the Cops don't know they are unarmed until they shoot them and check the body of the deceased.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
"Baseball is a little behind"--makes sense what they said, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:20 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't think your approach has to be combative or even change anybodys mind. You could have said something to that lady. There are plenty of hot button topics that should not interfere with friendships but friends know how I feel, what I'll say, and what I find acceptable especially around my family on certain issues.

You have never been shy about dropping your 2 cents in racial/inequality threads and you have come off saying it's a problem, it's a horrible problem! So important! Then when confronted or given a opportunity to have your voice heard and make that statement..nah thanks! Too much of a hassle. It's easy to do the right thing when it's easy. You do whatever you are comfortable with but I think you are wrong here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It doesn't have to be a battle to say, " I'm uncomfortable with racist terms."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

I don't think your approach has to be combative or even change anybodys mind. You could have said something to that lady. There are plenty of hot button topics that should not interfere with friendships but friends know how I feel, what I'll say, and what I find acceptable especially around my family on certain issues.

Yes, I could have but she would have likely rolled her eyes and said who the fuck are you to tell me what I can say?

How do you think it would go?

Spaulding wrote:
You have never been shy about dropping your 2 cents in racial/inequality threads and you have come off saying it's a problem, it's a horrible problem! So important! Then when confronted or given a opportunity to have your voice heard and make that statement..nah thanks! Too much of a hassle. It's easy to do the right thing when it's easy. You do whatever you are comfortable with but I think you are wrong here.

Yes, I do think racism and bigotry are problems. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me or anyone else to argue against every ignorant statement they hear. (frankly, it happens too often to even try)

And if you think telling my one of my best friends that I was losing respect for him and his dad for the words they chose was comfortable or without hassle, you are mistaken.

The logic you are using seems flawed to me. You've complained on here multiple times in regards to youth sports and other parents. Did you confront every jack ass parent you ever came across at sporting events? If the answer is no, then does that mean you dont care about jack ass parents ruining youth sports? Of course not.

I think a major reason that ugly thoughts like this persist is people excuse their friends and family. So that is my focus. I think that's the best way I can affect change, by talking to them. (Also, my friends and family will hear me out, whereas the stranger I met 5 mins ago would probably tell me to fuck off)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yea, you'd think that wouldn't you? I certainly did in my youth.

Many people take that seemingly normal statement as a severe insult.

America's response "get over it...maybe she was joking...that doesnt mean she hates black people, you're a pussy" is pretty representative of the responses I used to get growing up on the south side.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Yes, I could have but she would have likely rolled her eyes and said who the fuck are you to tell me what I can say?

You don't have to tell her what she can and can't say. If racism and inequality is truly as important as you say it is I don't know how you kept your mouth shut on that one.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Yes, I do think racism and bigotry are problems. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me or anyone else to argue against every ignorant statement they hear. (frankly, it happens too often to even try)

And if you think telling my one of my best friends that I was losing respect for him and his dad for the words they chose was comfortable or without hassle, you are mistaken.

The logic you are using seems flawed to me. You've complained on here multiple times in regards to youth sports and other parents. Did you confront every jack ass parent you ever came across at sporting events? If the answer is no, then does that mean you dont care about jack ass parents ruining youth sports? Of course not.

I think a major reason that ugly thoughts like this persist is people excuse their friends and family. So that is my focus. I think that's the best way I can affect change, by talking to them. (Also, my friends and family will hear me out, whereas the stranger I met 5 mins ago would probably tell me to fuck off)

None of this has any bearing on the discussion except the first statement and I've already said it doesn't have to be argumentative. Although difficult or uncomfortable I think it's very reasonable to say to anybody that you prefer not to hear racial slurs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:52 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
You have never been shy about dropping your 2 cents in racial/inequality threads and you have come off saying it's a problem, it's a horrible problem! So important!
You don't think it's an important problem?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Spaulding, what do you do/say when words like that are said in your presence?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yea, you'd think that wouldn't you? I certainly did in my youth.

Many people take that seemingly normal statement as a severe insult.

America's response "get over it...maybe she was joking...that doesnt mean she hates black people, you're a pussy" is pretty representative of the responses I used to get growing up on the south side.

That's one person possibly/probably being an asshole to you for being willing to suffer embarassment.

Is her opinion of you important to you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
A lot of ignorant things are said and done in my presence. I don't feel the need to fight every battle so I generally ignore it. Not being in fight mode 24/7 makes life easier. If I were in fight mode 24/7 I probably wouldn't still post here.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:28 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You don't have to tell her what she can and can't say. If racism and inequality is truly as important as you say it is I don't know how you kept your mouth shut on that one.

I think you are way overstating what I have said about race and racism here. I think racism and bigotry is a problem as (I think) a majority of people do. Maybe because of my worship of black culture and love of hip hop it seems like Im more on the race thing than I actually am? If something is racist, I wont defend it. I dont spend too much time saying racism is a huge or our most pressing problem.

My posts here have talked about hatred/treatment/lack of opportunity of poor people waaaay more than any specific race.

That includes all races.

rogers park bryan wrote:

Spaulding wrote:
None of this has any bearing on the discussion except the first statement and I've already said it doesn't have to be argumentative. Although difficult or uncomfortable I think it's very reasonable to say to anybody that you prefer not to hear racial slurs.

No, it absolutely does.

Your theory here (correct me if Im wrong): If you are against something, you must always vocalize it when it comes up. Im asking you if you hold yourself to the same standard.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree on the value (or lack of value in my opinion) of telling every jack ass who uses racist terms that I dont like them.

I believe you've had similar takes on JORR for talking about materialistic nature but not giving away more of his money/earthly possessions.

There are reasonable steps you can take towards a goal without making your whole existence about it. Were not all Mother Teresa or Gandhi. If we were, we wouldn't celebrate them as heroes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm 

Seacrest wrote:

That's one person possibly/probably being an asshole to you for being willing to suffer embarassment.

Is her opinion of you important to you?

No, I dont care about her opinion but I dont seek uncomfortable situations either.

If I think there is a chance of good dialogue or discussion, Ill go in. If it seems like a lost cause, I dont.

If I were to say "Hey, I dont like racial slurs" knowing that the person could care less if I like them or not, that would be Grandstanding for no purpose, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Gotta pick your battles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Spaulding returns only to be ganged up on by the usual suspects. Sad.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

I can only assume Crest and Spaulding believe RPB is a fraud. Other than that I don't know of anyone who speaks out every time something ignorant is said in our presence. Ignorant things are posted about all types of people almost daily and slurs are occasionally used. Every poster doesn't speak out (they shouldn't have to) and sometimes it is ignored by everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Spaulding has come back and attacked rpb, me, and douchebag already.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:

I'm glad Spaulding is back. I hope all is well in her life. She should make her way to the Bears section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next