It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
The NBA is exactly what Goff calls baseball and NHL a "regional Sport" besides the city of Chicago and the other NBA cities the NBA is not what they talk it up to be. An Illinois State Redbird game is more exciting then most of the dull NBA atmospheres. I thought this was well known, but apparently people still think the NBA> college somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Nicklin3011 wrote:
The NBA is exactly what Goff calls baseball and NHL a "regional Sport" besides the city of Chicago and the other NBA cities the NBA is not what they talk it up to be. An Illinois State Redbird game is more exciting then most of the dull NBA atmospheres. I thought this was well known, but apparently people still think the NBA> college somehow.

I'd argue that in most northern markets where the NBA and NHL are both present, the NHL team does better in terms of fanbase. I'd say this is true in Boston, Chicago (TV ratings the last 5 years prove this), Manhattan, Philly, Minnesota, Detroit, DC, and Colorado. In southern markets, the opposite is true, but those are non-hockey markets that the league never should have bothered expanding to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hard to say the bottomed-out Avs are doing that well in Denver right now. Not like the Nuggets are much better, but Denver has become so Broncos-centric that it's not even worth figuring out who's in second or third. The rest of them, yeah. The NHL should have embraced the fact that it's a regional sport and marketed super-hard to its region instead of spreading itself too thin trying to be a national property.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:

I'd argue that in most northern markets where the NBA and NHL are both present, the NHL team does better in terms of fanbase. I'd say this is true in Boston, Chicago (TV ratings the last 5 years prove this), Manhattan, Philly, Minnesota, Detroit, DC, and Colorado. In southern markets, the opposite is true, but those are non-hockey markets that the league never should have bothered expanding to.

Not on nationally televised games, though. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:59 pm 

Nicklin3011 wrote:

It is. If you are a basketball fan and like quality basketball it's really hard to watch college basketball. I used to be a huge college basketball fan but not anymore. I fall asleep on just about every game by halftime.
I tired of all of the over coaching years ago and the lack of talent is something that prevents me from watching too.

It's not even relative to the NBA as much as it is relative to what it used to be for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5