It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
It's not force Brick. It's more like coerce.

If the FBI really goes balls deep with this investigation who will be paying the good to great high school prospects to come to their school anymore?
There are many reasons that players play college basketball. Some players return for their sophomore year rather than going to the NBA.

No one is being coerced. College basketball is just the best option even without the illegal payments.

Jbi11s wrote:
I'm just saying, it would be interesting to see if any top prospects take the plunge. A minor league system would be more efficient, and could potentially produce a better product.
It depends how much money the NBA is willing to lose on it. There just isn't value in minor league professional basketball. College works because of specific reasons that the NBA can't recreate.

IF the investigation is seriously continued then I guess we will see just how important $$$ and professional coaching is compared to the college experience. It would be a fun social experiment to witness in my lifetime.

I hope this investigation ends college basketball as we know it. Watered down product with overhyped, overpaid coaches masquerading under the guise of amateurism. Blue Blood programs function as de facto professional teams anyway. Kentucky was holding their own combine a few years ago. If they can slide the top high school guys over to the G League all the better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I hope this investigation ends college basketball as we know it. Watered down product with overhyped, overpaid coaches masquerading under the guise of amateurism. Blue Blood programs function as de facto professional teams anyway. Kentucky was holding their own combine a few years ago. If they can slide the top high school guys over to the G League all the better.
Don't hold your breath. :lol:

Why do you care? You get your awesome summer league! Let us enjoy college basketball.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Caller Bob wrote:
This is why their show fucking sucks and the ratings suck. There is a Bears game tomorrow for crying out loud.

This is a potentially huge story which has already taken down a HOF coach, likely will ensnare other big names and threatens our beloved U of I program. But they should spend 4 hours on a mediocre Bears team. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Don't hold your breath. :lol:

Why do you care? You get your awesome summer league! Let us enjoy college basketball.

College players don't even enjoy it. Ones that are NBA prospects dropout as soon as the season is over. One and dones would receive better coaching in the D League and the million dollar bag man coaches will transition over to selling life insurance for a living.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
The ratings speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dan lived in North Carolina in the 1980s and doesn't know who Ric Flair is? buullllllshiiiiiit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
The ratings speak for themselves.

Yeah those UC Irvine- Cal State Fullerton tilts truly are big box office.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 pm 

long time guy wrote:
College players don't even enjoy it. Ones that are NBA prospects dropout as soon as the season is over. One and dones would receive better coaching in the D League and the million dollar bag man coaches will transition over to selling life insurance for a living.
You are wrong. Caleb Swanigan is still going to get his degree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Dan doesn't know who Ric Flair is. Everyone giving him shit now.

Well, he's going to have to turn in his hip hop fan card now

Flair is the most respected non rapper in hip hop

Flair
MJ
Tony Montana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Damn straight he will. His adoptive father probably wants to take him into the business once he is done playing basketball. You just have to love Biggie. He's easily my favorite Boilermaker since Robbie Hummel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Damn straight he will. His adoptive father probably wants to take him into the business once he is done playing basketball. You just have to love Biggie. He's easily my favorite Boilermaker since Robbie Hummel.
No doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:57 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Didn't know he was representative of each and every college player that is an NBA prospect. Still doesn't change the validity of the statement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:59 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Didn't know he was representative of each and every college player that is an NBA prospect. Still doesn't change the validity of the statement.

This might shock you, but NCAA BB makes more money than NCAA Football (at least for the NCAA, not necessarily true for the schools). It's not going anywhere.

The media deal for March Madness brings in more money than the NCAA football TV deals can ever bring in.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

"Ones that are NBA prospects dropout as soon as the season is over".
"Here is a guy who was a first round draft pick who not only finished the semester but plans to finish his degree over the next year".
"Still doesn't change the validity of the statement".
:lol:

There are college players that don't care just like there are normal students who don't care.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This might shock you, but NCAA BB makes more money than NCAA Football. It's not going anywhere.

I know its not. I think they have to come up with a better system for guys that are legitimate NBA prospects. College Basketball blows. Its even worse when you factor in the corruption found at the upper levels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:04 pm 

Let the NBA draft players out of high school and play in college without signing them to contracts. The NHL does this with players who go to college: the team holds their signing rights but never pays them, so they keep amateur status.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

"Here is a guy who was a first round draft pick who not only finished the semester but plans to finish his degree over the next year".

There are college players that don't care just like there are normal students who don't care.

I'm talking about guys that are NBA prospects. Top prospects play for 6 months and bounce. They have even forsaken the song and dance about "really enjoying the college experience". Intentions are announced at the post game press conference these days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I'm talking about guys that are NBA prospects. Top prospects play for 6 months and bounce. They have even forsaken the song and dance about "really enjoying the college experience". Intentions are announced at the post game press conference these days.

Some do. Some don't. Lots of one and dones finished the second semester. It's a little hard with draft workouts but they do. Kentucky had most if not all do it many years.

But, who cares? We are now talking about like 10 players a year. Maybe 20 in a good year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Only a few schools really get the one-and-dones. My alma mater has never had one that I can remember, yet we are a semi-regular Sweet 16 school. Biggie Swanigan is the closest we had to one, and as BRick said, he's finishing his degree.

Those one and done's are less than 1% of all NCAA Division 1 players.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
He's easily my favorite Boilermaker

I'm partial to Katie Douglas and Stephanie White.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Only a few schools really get the one-and-dones. My alma mater has never had one that I can remember, yet we are a semi-regular Sweet 16 school. Biggie Swanigan is the closest we had to one, and as BRick said, he's finishing his degree.

Those one and done's are less than 1% of all NCAA Division 1 players.

The one and dones are what move meters though. Let's compare midnight madness of Kentucky with that of UIC or Chicago State. Doubt they have one. You remove the NBA prospects from the equation and college basketball goes in the toilet overnight.

The notion of the "Cinderella" goes out the window too. Playing field becomes a lot more leveled.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:14 pm 

That isn't true. One and dones have some who are high impact but most of the best players lately aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That isn't true. One and dones have some who are high impact but most of the best players lately aren't.

There aren't MANY college players that are high impact period. Either you're a one and done or you are a four year college guy who gets your check for no other reason than you're a four year college guy. It's not really a high level of play. The most talented guys aren't really developed and the most developed (relatively speaking) aren't all that talented.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

long time guy wrote:
The one and dones are what move meters though. Let's compare midnight madness of Kentucky with that of UIC or Chicago State. Doubt they have one. You remove the NBA prospects from the equation and college basketball goes in the toilet overnight.

The notion of the "Cinderella" goes out the window too. Playing field becomes a lot more leveled.

College basketball must have sucked and had no one watching before they stopped players from going right to the NBA over a decade ago. :roll:

No cindrella teams before 2005 :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

NO NO NO WHY'D YOU DO IT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:

College basketball must have sucked and had no one watching before they stopped players from going right to the NBA over a decade ago. :roll:

No cindrella teams before 2005 :roll:

It actually wasn't that good then either. Dee Brown was considered an elite player around that time.

College Basketball has been rather shitty for about 17 or 18 years now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:01 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There aren't MANY college players that are high impact period. Either you're a one and done or you are a four year college guy who gets your check for no other reason than you're a four year college guy. It's not really a high level of play. The most talented guys aren't really developed and the most developed (relatively speaking) aren't all that talented.
That makes no sense. How can there not be high impact players in college?

You just make up stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:03 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That makes no sense. How can there not be high impact players in college?

You just make up stuff.

No unlike you I know what high impact means. High impact relative to low or no impact really isn't impact. Tallest midget theory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I'm no basketball expert. But in LTGs defense look at the draft. After the top three it's a complete crapshoot to find NBA stars.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I'm no basketball expert. But in LTGs defense look at the draft. After the top three it's a complete crapshoot to find NBA stars.

I think the top 10 players this year were all 1 and dones. What does that say about all this high impact with that being the case?

He just stated that one and dones haven't effected college that much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next