It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Huh? The Lakers were 11th in attendance and averaged 18,949. It's not like any basketball stadiums are huge. I don't know why you would expect high average attendance when most schools are in low population numbers and the fan bases ate much more segmented because of so many more teams.

So attendance is important until it doesn't coincide with the narrative. NBA attendance should be lower if you and others are to be believed. Much higher ticket prices and far more games.

If people are as unenthusiastic about it as you often suggest then why are they willing to pay ticket prices that are much higher? That doesn't quite jive with the lower level of excitement and enthusiasm.

You brought up attendance.

It's obvious why average attendance is higher in the NBA. The Big Ten alone has nearly as many teams as the Eastern Conference.

Because it's relevant. It's dumb to continuously argue about the enthusiasm inherent in college basketball then choose to ignore the attendance of schools like Depaul. They are part of College Basketball. Again NBA ticket prices are much higher yet they have a much higher avg attendance. That is also relevant

If you want to argue there isn't great enthusiasm at college games then there is no reason to take your opinions seriously. It's ok if some things are better in college and some things are better in the NBA.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Huh? The Lakers were 11th in attendance and averaged 18,949. It's not like any basketball stadiums are huge. I don't know why you would expect high average attendance when most schools are in low population numbers and the fan bases ate much more segmented because of so many more teams.

So attendance is important until it doesn't coincide with the narrative. NBA attendance should be lower if you and others are to be believed. Much higher ticket prices and far more games.

If people are as unenthusiastic about it as you often suggest then why are they willing to pay ticket prices that are much higher? That doesn't quite jive with the lower level of excitement and enthusiasm.

You brought up attendance.

It's obvious why average attendance is higher in the NBA. The Big Ten alone has nearly as many teams as the Eastern Conference.

Because it's relevant. It's dumb to continuously argue about the enthusiasm inherent in college basketball then choose to ignore the attendance of schools like Depaul. They are part of College Basketball. Again NBA ticket prices are much higher yet they have a much higher avg attendance. That is also relevant

If you want to argue there isn't great enthusiasm at college games then there is no reason to take your opinions seriously. It's ok if some things are better in college and some things are better in the NBA.

There really is no way to measure enthusiasm.

It's stupid to suggest that the NBA lacks enthusiasm when they consistently withdraw college teams. That's dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
I think I would rather go to a college game than an NBA game. NBA games don't seem terribly fun to be at.

NBA games are more of a snoozefest than listening to Mully ask a question.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 pm 

In an off year The Lakers still outdrew the Bruins by an avg of 8,000 fans per year. Again it doesn't quite jive with the people "aren't interested in the NBA" narrative that consistently pumps around here. It's tough to take people serious when they continue to make points that they can t support.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Evey year I say I'm going to get in to the NBA and then I watch one quarter and say...this sucks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I think I would rather go to a college game than an NBA game. NBA games don't seem terribly fun to be at.

NBA games are more of a snoozefest than listening to Mully ask a question.

Watching Steve Alfords slow footed non skilled son shoot jump shots isn't exactly a treat either. Watching Jaylen Tare dribble ball the under his chin for four years didn't exactly make for compelling television either. I'd much rather see Chris Paul hook it up with Westbrook than that garbage.

How about Perry Ellis looking more like he is about to retire from the NBA than graduate from college? Lock chalk Jayhawk my ass. There is little to get excited about watching college hoops. Kentucky runs through the SEC every year. Kansas does the same in the big 12. Same for Duke in the Acc.

There also isn't anything exciting about Duke's refusal to ever play a good team on the road. Either a neutral site or Camron indoor. Same ole bullshit year in and year out. Load up on cupcakes out of conf and play one to to "tough" games in conf. That's the blueprint for the better teams.

I fall asleep in the first half of every college game that I attempt to watch. Either that or I'm turning the station by the commercial break.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
Dan lived in North Carolina in the 1980s and doesn't know who Ric Flair is? buullllllshiiiiiit

And he admitted he followed The Iron Sheik on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I just read this entire thread. What is ltg arguing?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I'm hoping for a radical reset of College Basketball as we know it. By the time the FBI is done I'm hoping that it gets reduced to a glorified intramural league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm hoping for a radical reset of College Basketball as we know it. By the time the FBI is done I'm hoping that it gets reduced to a glorified intramural league.

Oh.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Oh.

One can hope but at the least they can come up with a better system than they currently have. NBA will also have to create a better system for harnessing their pro prospects. One and dones aren't working for either college or the pros.

2nd part of my argument is the shittiness of college basketball. Quality of the game sucks and the enthusiasm gap is more perception than reality. There are a number of colleges that missed their boat regarding college enthusiasm. For every lock chalk jayhawk and Dukie there are about 20-30 Chicago States lurking. Brick says it's stupid to mention Chicago State and Depaul because well he's Brick damnit and he has no other response than that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:34 pm 

It's a trash product, no doubt. But there's zero chance it goes away or significantly changes in the near future.

CH's idea isn't bad or they could also change it to where you can declare after HS or make you do two years of college(or overseas or G league) if you don't.

Either way, the G league is never going to take off in popularity.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Some do. Some don't. Lots of one and dones finished the second semester. It's a little hard with draft workouts but they do. Kentucky had most if not all do it many years.

Would love to know how many of those classes are online that guys take to finish the semester. Online typically = someone else doing the work.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
It's a trash product, no doubt. But there's zero chance it goes away or significantly changes in the near future.

CH's idea isn't bad or they could also change it to where you can declare after HS or make you do two years of college(or overseas or G league) if you don't.

Either way, the G league is never going to take off in popularity.

The D-League -- I won't indulge the naming rights -- is a good idea in that it allows players to develop under the auspices of their teams, but there aren't good arguments for going to the games. The best marketing idea the D-League ever had was when they ran the Bakersfield team in a converted rec center and played in front of 500 people on corporate outings sitting at tables and eating buffet food.

I don't remember what the circumstances were that allowed for Bird and Magic to play in college while having been drafted, but it certainly added a lot of hype to that title game. I think it would be interesting to see a lot of that today.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:

Bill Burr's kind of hit or miss for me but I love his rant about how awful it is to go to NBA games these days: https://youtu.be/C_Gqrptj0Pc?t=3m30s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:57 am 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Oh.

One can hope but at the least they can come up with a better system than they currently have. NBA will also have to create a better system for harnessing their pro prospects. One and dones aren't working for either college or the pros.

2nd part of my argument is the shittiness of college basketball. Quality of the game sucks and the enthusiasm gap is more perception than reality. There are a number of colleges that missed their boat regarding college enthusiasm. For every lock chalk jayhawk and Dukie there are about 20-30 Chicago States lurking. Brick says it's stupid to mention Chicago State and Depaul because well he's Brick damnit and he has no other response than that.

Chicago State is like the 200th most popular college program. You could take the whole NBA, add in the D league, and all the CBA teams and still not be close to enough to have a comparison for Chicago State. That's why it is stupid to bring up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
FavreFan wrote:

While I have enjoyed this thread, I got to the point where I thought the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Oh.

Chicago State is like the 200th most popular college program. You could take the whole NBA, add in the D league, and all the CBA teams and still not be close to enough to have a comparison for Chicago State. That's why it is stupid to bring up.

No it's stupid to think that places like Kentucky and Syracuse are truly indicative of what you get at an average college basketball game. Ok State avg 5,000 fans just one year ago. UCLA avg 8000 just over a year ago. If any NBA team avg that for any length of time they'd fold the franchise or move.

If NBA games are as unexciting as people keep suggesting then why are people consistently attending the games. There isn't one franchise that doesn't avg less than 30% of its capacity. It doesnt matter if its Brooklyn or the Bulls. The vast majority of NBA teams are selling over 85% of their seats. That is the case even with the high ass prices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Oh.

No it's stupid to think that places like Kentucky and Syracuse are truly indicative of what you get at an average college basketball game. Ok State avg 5,000 fans just one year ago. UCLA avg 8000 just over a year ago. If any NBA team avg that for any length of time they'd fold the franchise or move.

If NBA games are as unexciting as people keep suggesting then why are people consistently attending the games. There isn't one franchise that doesn't avg less than 30% of its capacity. It doesnt matter if its Brooklyn or the Bulls. The vast majority of NBA teams are selling over 85% of their seats. That is the case even with the high ass prices.

So this is basically just you being mad that not everyone enjoys the NBA? The average attendance stuff has been answered with multiple valid answers. No reason to say then again. Just enjoy the NBA and ignore college. No one cares. Just stop making bad arguments about why college is bad with things like Chicago State doesn't sell many tickets and that high impact players don't exist.

No reason to be so defensive. There are reasons to like the NBA more and reasons to like college more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:54 am 

The avg attendance stuff hasnt been answered but carry on. When someone presents an opposing viewpoint (for a change I might add) it doesn't mean they are mad either. It's simply a counterargument to what is often promoted on here about the NBA being terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 am 

long time guy wrote:
The avg attendance stuff hasnt been answered but carry on. When someone presents an opposing viewpoint (for a change I might add) it doesn't mean they are mad either. It's simply a counterargument to what is often promoted on here about the NBA being terrible.

Many more teams, much smaller population centers, and closer geographically. As I said, Indiana alone has four major programs that do 10k+ besides Butler who stil does 8k. It's not surprising the Pacers can do a few thousand better than the bigger three programs in the state.

You are mad. You want the whole game to fail. Just enjoy the NBA and ignore college. No one would care like no one cares ff ignores it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Many more teams, much smaller population centers, and closer geographically. As I said, Indiana alone has four major programs that do 10k+ besides Butler who stil does 8k. It's not surprising the Pacers can do a few thousand better than the bigger three programs in the state.

You are mad. You want the whole game to fail. Just enjoy the NBA and ignore college. No one would care like no one cares ff ignores it.

You seem to be upset that I don't care for the product. You responded to what I said initially. i didn't respond to you. You keep throwing Indiana schools around as if they are an accurate reflection also. UCLA struggles to draw half the fans that the Lakers draw and LA has two professional teams with much higher ticket prices.

Do you want to keep ignoring how the cost of an NBA game should be prohibitive since you have no problem factoring in geography?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 am 

long time guy wrote:
You seem to be upset that I don't care for the product. You responded to what I said initially. i didn't respond to you. You keep throwing Indiana schools around as if they are an accurate reflection also. UCLA struggles to draw half the fans that the Lakers draw and LA has two professional teams with much higher ticket prices.
:lol: Your first response in here has my quotes in it. Sorry for responding to you.

Yes, the Lakers are bigger in LA than UCLA. The Bulls are bigger than Northwestern. The Knicks are bigger than St. Johns. That doesn't mean that what I said wasn't a reason that average attendance in college will always be lower. Put 200-300 teams in the NBA and average attendance drops pretty hard for the NBA too.

long time guy wrote:
Do you want to keep ignoring how the cost of an NBA game should be prohibitive since you have no problem factoring in geography?
I literally don't care at all about that. It's true. What is the point behind that statement?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
:lol: Your first response in here has my quotes in it. Sorry for responding to you.

Yes, the Lakers are bigger in LA than UCLA. The Bulls are bigger than Northwestern. The Knicks are bigger than St. Johns. That doesn't mean that what I said wasn't a reason that average attendance in college will always be lower. Put 200-300 teams in the NBA and average attendance drops pretty hard for the NBA too.

long time guy wrote:
I literally don't care at all about that. It's true. What is the point behind that statement?

The feigned ignorance argument again. Or not. UCLA is geographically located in the same area as the Lakers yet the Lakers draw twice as many people in an off year. Astronomical ticket prices be damned

Also schools like Kentucky function as quasi professional teams. There isnt much in the way of competition in that entertainment hotbed yet you have no problem using it as an indicator. The only places where college sports are king are areas that lack pro teams. You think that is an accident?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
In all honesty, the FBI rarely, if ever goes all the way with these types of investigations.

College basketball will probably slightly change the way it looks. Maybe a kid or two takes $ to play in a real professional league somewhere else, but I doubt we have a complete overhaul. As much as LTG and myself want it to happen I just don't have the strongest feeling it will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
In all honesty, the FBI rarely, if ever, goes all the way with these types of investigations.

College basketball will probably slightly change the way it looks. Maybe a kid or two takes $ to play in a real professional league somewhere else, but I doubt we have a complete overhaul. As much as LTG and myself want it to happen I just don't have the strongest feeling it will.

Me either. Too much money involved particularly at the highest levels. Ironically the Bowen kid may have garnered more from Louisville than he will ever make in the NBA. He played on Tai Streets AAU team Meanstreets and from what I heard he isn't a lock to make the NBA.

The word is that the G league is supposed to up their salaries in an effort at preventing kids from going overseas. If they target college basketball they may begin to make a dent there also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am 

long time guy wrote:
The feigned ignorance argument again. Or not. UCLA is geographically located in the same area as the Lakers yet the Lakers draw twice as many people in an off year. Astronomical ticket prices be damned
The Lakers are more popular than UCLA. What is your point?

long time guy wrote:
Also schools like Kentucky function as quasi professional teams. There isnt much in the way of competition in that entertainment hotbed yet you have no problem using it as an indicator. The only places where college sports are king are areas that lack pro teams. You think that is an accident?
Another made up ltgism. Indiana, North Carolina, Michigan for sure are bigger college sports states. There are other states where strong arguments can be made too. If we include football that number grows significantly. Still though, I just don't get your point. The NBA does well in the huge population centers they target. Who cares? Colleges do well with more teams spread out further.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
In all honesty, the FBI rarely, if ever, goes all the way with these types of investigations.

Me either. Too much money involved particularly at the highest levels. Ironically the Bowen kid may have garnered more from Louisville than he will ever make in the NBA. He played on Tai Streets AAU team Meanstreets and from what I heard he isn't a lock to make the NBA.

The word is that the G league is supposed to up their salaries in an effort at preventing kids from going overseas. If they target college basketball they may begin to make a dent there also.

Upping salaries would be an interesting development, if most of/ all the shady money is taken out of college basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:08 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
The Lakers are more popular than UCLA. What is your point?

long time guy wrote:
Another made up ltgism. Indiana, North Carolina, Michigan for sure are bigger college sports states. There are other states where strong arguments can be made too. If we include football that number grows significantly. Still though, I just don't get your point. The NBA does well in the huge population centers they target. Who cares? Colleges do well with more teams spread out further.

They aren't in the same city so what's made up about it? My point is still valid. really don't care but that doesn't mean I should ignore it. When people come on here and bash the league have you ever preached ambivalence? I doubt it. There isn't consistency found in any point that you ever make.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 am 

long time guy wrote:
They aren't in the same city so what's made up about it? My point is still valid. really don't care but that doesn't mean I should ignore it. When people come on here and bash the league have you ever preached ambivalence? I doubt it. There isn't consistency found in any point that you ever make.
I've said for years there are many valid reasons to like the NBA better than college even if I feel that college is better for what I want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next