It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Several years ago Dan & Terry got into a discussion of how the national anthem should be sung. Terry felt Wayne Messmer sung the anthem the correct way. With all of the bluster about standing for the anthem, bringing politics into sports, kneeling during the anthem, etc. - why is the anthem even played at a sporting event? Sports is nothing more than entertainment. There's nothing patriotic or nationalistic about American sports. At least Olympians represent their respective country. Pro athletes are two steps above Ninja Warriors. I sit hear struggling to come up with a Vegas show, music concert, or movie premier that played the national anthem at the beginning. Even more so, is the anthem played before golf or bowling tournaments? I don't recall it being played or sung at the Masters. So, why is it so prominently displayed before NFL games? Didn't the playing of the national anthem, the presence of military personnel, and Presidents throwing out first pitches many many years ago make sports political? So, why is it now - when Colin Kaepernick takes a knee - are people complaining about the "politics" in sports? Where these same people complaining about politics in sports the week after 9/11? Or, where were the complaints about politics in sports when baseball fans started shouting "USA!" shortly after news circulated that Osama Bin Laden was killed? It makes one wonder how the complainers would have reacted to Muhammed Ali's conscientious objection to being drafted during the Vietnan War. Or when Ted Williams hired an attorney to get out being shipped to fight in World War II? Of course, these are the same idiots who yell, whistle, and scream during the national anthem at Blackhawk games while holding their beer. But, that's not disrespectful. Not at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
paragraphs... use them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Things like the Pledge or Anthem are all meant to demonstrate national unity and a shared culture against a backdrop of our different identities. Sadly, instead of bringing us together to celebrate our great nation, these things are turning political like so much of our society.

I have no clue why they play them at games. Until a year ago, it just seemed woven into our sports culture and not particularly controversial.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
It started at baseball games right after we entered WW1 and they never stopped after that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Stretch wrote:
It started at baseball games right after we entered WW1 and they never stopped after that.

What are your thoughts on the 7th inning, Stretch?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
SpiralStairs wrote:
Stretch wrote:

:lol: You really should be murdered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Stretch wrote:

You can't tee something like that up for me and then expect me to do nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SpiralStairs wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Stretch wrote:

You can't tee something like that up for me and then expect me to do nothing.

One can hope though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Ninguno
I've been asking myself that question for a long time, especially after the bile started coming up my throat years after 9/11 when this hyper militarism and nationalism really kicked into overdrive (and we found out that the Dept of Defense was spending millions on "advertising" .. "nationalism/militarism".

and yes, I'm white.
and no.. I'm not a "liberal". In fact, lean right, especially on economic issues.

and no.. I don't hate the military. I actually quite like them.

and yes, I admit that the left caused these stupid culture wars when they spit in the faces of returning Vietnam Vets, who were of course working class whites and blacks and the people spitting were entitled white upper middle class

they were spitting at the cannon fodder that they themselves avoided being.

and the pendulum swings back.. always too far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Things like the Pledge or Anthem are all meant to demonstrate national unity and a shared culture against a backdrop of our different identities. Sadly, instead of bringing us together to celebrate our great nation, these things are turning political like so much of our society.

I have no clue why they play them at games. Until a year ago, it just seemed woven into our sports culture and not particularly controversial.

pledge and anthem are governmental propaganda events, instituted beginning with the middle of the 19th century... brainwashing the brains of children just like religion used to do (and still does)
was probably at fever pitch in Europe prior to WW1.

resulting? in WW1. Then the US joins this propaganda game.

when it comes to pledges, anthems, etc.. "less is more"..

but no.. that's not what happened... after 9/11 it became unbearable..in beginning I understood, then started asking myself WTF????

Last edited by Catire on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm 

FJBlack8 wrote:
Several years ago Dan & Terry got into a discussion of how the national anthem should be sung. Terry felt Wayne Messmer sung the anthem the correct way. With all of the bluster about standing for the anthem, bringing politics into sports, kneeling during the anthem, etc. - why is the anthem even played at a sporting event? Sports is nothing more than entertainment. There's nothing patriotic or nationalistic about American sports. At least Olympians represent their respective country. Pro athletes are two steps above Ninja Warriors. I sit hear struggling to come up with a Vegas show, music concert, or movie premier that played the national anthem at the beginning. Even more so, is the anthem played before golf or bowling tournaments? I don't recall it being played or sung at the Masters. So, why is it so prominently displayed before NFL games? Didn't the playing of the national anthem, the presence of military personnel, and Presidents throwing out first pitches many many years ago make sports political? So, why is it now - when Colin Kaepernick takes a knee - are people complaining about the "politics" in sports? Where these same people complaining about politics in sports the week after 9/11? Or, where were the complaints about politics in sports when baseball fans started shouting "USA!" shortly after news circulated that Osama Bin Laden was killed? It makes one wonder how the complainers would have reacted to Muhammed Ali's conscientious objection to being drafted during the Vietnan War. Or when Ted Williams hired an attorney to get out being shipped to fight in World War II? Of course, these are the same idiots who yell, whistle, and scream during the national anthem at Blackhawk games while holding their beer. But, that's not disrespectful. Not at all.

let's face it.. people complain about "politics" in sports, when it's the "uppity blacks" that engage in them... Apparently the D of Def paying to "advertise" was not a "political" act.

a fire chief in Pennsylvania was at least honest enough to use the N word.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
It surprised me to read that NFL teams standing for the National Anthem didn't start until 2009. Before that they stayed in the locker room.