It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
SuperMario wrote:
Goff is great?? :shock:

I think Trump has caused us all to lower our standards so much that we forget when something or someone is actually great. John Records Landecker was great. Kevin Matthews was great. Don Wade was great. Despite what you think of his politics, Rush is great. Goff is mediocre on his best days.

:scratch: none of those people did sports radio...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Your synopsis hardly reflects the context. They were browbeating him for minutes telling him that anyone who held out hope was stupid and illogical. When they finally arrived at that question to him the answer had been reduced to a choice of either being stupid or not believing.

How many different times during that call did the attempt to alter the caller's belief in what a die hard fan was?

My synopsis is very reflective of the substance of the call.

was that that guy from ar-kansas that they were laughing over and talking over as he spoke?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
tommy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't find this controversial at all. Pleasantries waste precious time during a radio call. Just get to the point and hang up. Save the pleasantries for your Sunday brunch with the in-laws.

As good dolphin was saying, it's built into human interaction, at least in English. It's something linguists have written about--a lot. To not do it would confuse the hell out of everyone.

Besides, they orient the conversation, too, when they say, "We'll go to Caller Bob from Shitsville."

I think you're overstating how "confusing" it would be to "everyone." Are you confused when your GPS gets right into telling you where to turn? Or would you rather it ask you how you're doing first before it tells you to take that exit off the freeway. I don't see a problem with "Hey guys, so yeah the Cubs..." No need for a back and forth.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Really getting tired of Dan's refusal to acknowledge a caller's greeting:

Caller: "Hi guys, how ya doin'?"
B&G: Silence
Caller (after awkward pause): "Hello?"
Bernstein: "Get to your point..."

I find this incredibly irritating—PTFB when it happens.

Humans, at least the ones I know, typically have a friendly salutation when they greet someone. When someone asks you, “how are you doing,” they typically don’t care nor want an honest response—they are just being friendly and opening the conversation.

Why this is taboo when “fans are talking to fans” on an audible-only medium, I will never understand.

It makes for uncomfortable radio.

I don't find this controversial at all. Pleasantries waste precious time during a radio call. Just get to the point and hang up. Save the pleasantries for your Sunday brunch with the in-laws.

Right, more time for Jason to thrill us with talk about his dishwasher.

We gonna' do this?

:lol: Seriously, it doesn't save time, there's the uncomfortable silence and the caller doesn't know if he's actually on the air. It's just bernstein being a dick. That's him. How hard is it to just say, "We're good. Go ahead with your thought."?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Humans, at least the ones I know, typically have a friendly salutation when they greet someone. When someone asks you, “how are you doing,” they typically don’t care nor want an honest response—they are just being friendly and opening the conversation.

Why this is taboo when “fans are talking to fans” on an audible-only medium, I will never understand.

His wife?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
As good dolphin was saying, it's built into human interaction, at least in English. It's something linguists have written about--a lot. To not do it would confuse the hell out of everyone.

This made me think of something. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but there's a modern conversational "tic" or meme I guess you might call it, wherein when a guest on a TV or radio show is asked a question he or she will pause and begin with, "Right..." or "Yeah, so..." I have only noticed the ubiquity of this over the past year or so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Goff is great.

He's (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky.

Flashes of what could be greatness surrounded by mistakes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

We gonna' do this?

:lol: Seriously, it doesn't save time, there's the uncomfortable silence and the caller doesn't know if he's actually on the air. It's just bernstein being a dick. That's him. How hard is it to just say, "We're good. Go ahead with your thought."?

Well yeah that game is dickheaded and does actually waste time. But I don't find Bernstein wanting to skip those exchanges to be objectionable. Even if the time wasted is negligible it's just annoying to do that consistently over a long period of time. I'm sure anyone who has been the host at a meet and greet or fair or whatever can sympathize. Just keep the greeting as short as possible, don't ask me how I'm doing because we both know the answer (fine/great, thanks), and let's just talk about why both of us are here. I've got other people to get to.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

We gonna' do this?

Takes more time.

Mac used to be annoyed but get thru it quickly

Caller: Hey, Mac, Jurko and harry, how are you guys?

Mac: Above average, Jim but Im not as confident in the Bears O line as you

Caller: some stupid bullshit about O-line

Way quicker than the Bernstein hello, hello dance.

But disdain for the callers is part of Bernstein's thing so it is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
tommy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Besides, they orient the conversation, too, when they say, "We'll go to Caller Bob from Shitsville."

I think you're overstating how "confusing" it would be to "everyone." Are you confused when your GPS gets right into telling you where to turn? Or would you rather it ask you how you're doing first before it tells you to take that exit off the freeway. I don't see a problem with "Hey guys, so yeah the Cubs..." No need for a back and forth.

Not overstating it. There's been research done on it. It's confusing and also seen as rude and condescending. It's what fourteen year-old girls do when they want to show you they don't need your friendship. But it is disorienting as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:

I think this is the critical part. From bernstein's end, that sets up the conversation. And Caller Bob can go right into spouting his stupid thought about the Cubs. But from Bob's standpoint, he's waiting on hold and he has his radio down and he doesn't really get the set up. It shouldn't be that difficult for a guy who has worked in radio his entire adult life to understand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

This made me think of something. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but there's a modern conversational "tic" or meme I guess you might call it, wherein when a guest on a TV or radio show is asked a question he or she will pause and begin with, "Right..." or "Yeah, so..." I have only noticed the ubiquity of this over the past year or so.

Not sure if I am thinking of the same thing, but it seems like people are talking to themselves as they figure out what the other is saying. Almost like an "Ok, I have now digested your comment."

"Don't you think the Holocaust was justified?"

(pause) "Yeah . . . so, there's something wrong with you."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

Might have something to do with the (absolutely inexplicable in 2017) delay with correspondents or talking heads hearing the question.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
SuperMario wrote:

I think Trump has caused us all to lower our standards so much that we forget when something or someone is actually great. John Records Landecker was great. Kevin Matthews was great. Don Wade was great. Despite what you think of his politics, Rush is great. Goff is mediocre on his best days.
Don Wade was great?? Listening to him lie to his listeners for years was a real treat. Pretending that he & Roma weren't married so that they could pull of the "he's a conservative & she's a liberal" dynamic shredded any credibility either had.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

Not sure if I am thinking of the same thing, but it seems like people are talking to themselves as they figure out what the other is saying. Almost like an "Ok, I have now digested your comment."

"Don't you think the Holocaust was justified?"

(pause) "Yeah . . . so, there's something wrong with you."

It could also be people feeling they have to buy time to process a meandering, leading, multi-minute verbal expose with a question mark at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Bagels wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:
Sweet Jesus. I've not listened in probably a month

^^listened yesterday

Is that you goff???? Goff is the one who seems to think anyone who says "They don't listen or I hate this show" means they actually listen and love the show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Nicklin3011 wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:

^^listened yesterday

Is that you goff???? Goff is the one who seems to think anyone who says "They don't listen or I hate this show" means they actually listen and love the show.

damn, i flew under the radar for so long too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:41 pm 

Yeah, why would a guy who knows a lot about a show, and is willing to seek out contact with a host of a show to tell him about it, possibly be a listener of the show? I often tweet random sports radio hosts in other towns to tell them how much they suck and that I hope they get fired.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
City of Fools wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Same medium. I wasn't referring to the content. Merely how well they do in their craft. Rush and Stern are pretty far apart as far as type of radio, but they both are good. Regardless of content, Goff is not good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Same medium. I wasn't referring to the content. Merely how well they do in their craft. Rush and Stern are pretty far apart as far as type of radio, but they both are good. Regardless of content, Goff is not good.

compare him to his particular media, that's all I ask.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

I hate it.

I don't know how or when this became acceptable. I don't remember "So....." ever being used as a way to start an answer. "That's a great question" is another one that bugs the shit out of me. "Thanks for the clarification on my question. I usually like to ask bad questions."

Stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:48 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Don Wade was great?? Listening to him lie to his listeners for years was a real treat. Pretending that he & Roma weren't married so that they could pull of the "he's a conservative & she's a liberal" dynamic shredded any credibility either had.

He was still good at his craft. Bill O'Reilly was a pompous asshole who lied to the "folks" for years. Doesn't mean he wasn't good at what he did.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:52 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

compare him to his particular media, that's all I ask.

Ok. Danny Mac, Dan Patrick, Jim Rome are all great. Even Bernstein. Despite being pretty insufferable to listen to, Bernstein can be very good at radio.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:04 pm 

tommy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
tommy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Not overstating it. There's been research done on it. It's confusing and also seen as rude and condescending. It's what fourteen year-old girls do when they want to show you they don't need your friendship. But it is disorienting as well.

I'm aware of research on this, but unless those studies are of caller host interaction which is necessarily compressed due to time constraints and not natural conversation for other reasons, I don't see how it applies.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Kornheiser was the best at shutting down the useless "how you doings?" on phone calls but that was really his personality, irritable old man that doesn't want to talk to you. Dan is certainly headed in that direction, but Kornheiser was never on a radio station that was the "voice of the fan." Tony had fun with it though and would usually hang up immediately and laugh about it. Bernstein just becomes a giant penis bag through the whole call.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm 

I really love Anthony Herron.

Should I be concerned?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
KDdidit wrote:
Kornheiser was the best at shutting down the useless "how you doings?" on phone calls but that was really his personality, irritable old man that doesn't want to talk to you. Dan is certainly headed in that direction, but Kornheiser was never on a radio station that was the "voice of the fan." Tony had fun with it though and would usually hang up immediately and laugh about it. Bernstein just becomes a giant penis bag through the whole call.

I would never call myself a Tony fan. But I still catch PTI once in a while. He seems arrogant and crotchety, but ESPN types all play in character.

Even intelligent people aren't enamored with really smart sports. We are mostly meatball fans at heart with passion and blind love.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm 

while Jason fires on his "attackers", he sits there and clicks on windows on his browser...non-stop. Never noticed that before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
tommy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
tommy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Shit... you just described my interaction with my daughter this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm 

Nicklin3011 wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:

^^listened yesterday

No, that's Bernstein. I'm Goff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next