It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 am 

Tuned in yesterday and Goff was talking about a guy's daughter bringing home a guy and he transforms into Huggie bear with fish in shoes, bad credit, etc

He said a few legitimately funny things but he said it through the hysterical laughter and half of it was muffled. He needs to learn to deadpan a little bit. Let OTHER PEOPLE laugh at your jokes, Jason. One guy making jokes and another guy laughing is good radio. Two guys laughing where half the jokes dont even come across audibly because of the giggles is not.

They are like a morning news show with the over laughing. WGN thinks they laugh too much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Harry Seaward wrote:
The hive mind here is strong. Who'd have thought that the majority of posts, over 9 years, are in the forum of a show I used to listen to all the time? Yah, got me good.

Between the "sure you don't listen" and all of the tripping over eachother to giggle at a supposed "gotcha" ... well, as big bad Goff might say: keep it.

I don't get it either. It wasn't some WYC moment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:59 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
GD, I find this show nearly unlistenable. I actually pray for the day we get the actual, non Cubs ratings for BnG. Something needs to change.

Many people here want to blame it on Jason. Not me. The character of that show is dictated by Dan.

I think Jason would be fine as a solo mid days type of host.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
"you don't have to lose your sense of logic to be a die hard fan"

The fuck you talking about? The implication of die hard fan status is that you continue believing in your team's chance of success beyond the point it was still logical to do so.

You don't find it offensive that the only caller of the day who expressed some semblance of hope was heavily ridiculed by hosts on the flagship station?

This is a completely cherry-picked synopsis of that call yesterday. When the caller was pressed on whether he thought the Cubs would win the series, the caller's answer was 'no' (the same thought as Dan & Jason).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Really getting tired of Dan's refusal to acknowledge a caller's greeting:

Caller: "Hi guys, how ya doin'?"
B&G: Silence
Caller (after awkward pause): "Hello?"
Bernstein: "Get to your point..."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Oh, he is still doing that dickhead bit? Nice. I will stay away still.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 am 

pittmike wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You can't, and you won't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Douchebag Wynette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You can't, and you won't.

:lol: and he doesn't

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
You guys have proof?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I find this incredibly irritating—PTFB when it happens.

Humans, at least the ones I know, typically have a friendly salutation when they greet someone. When someone asks you, “how are you doing,” they typically don’t care nor want an honest response—they are just being friendly and opening the conversation.

Why this is taboo when “fans are talking to fans” on an audible-only medium, I will never understand.

It makes for uncomfortable radio.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Mac talked about the frustration with fans (namely callers, texters, etc.) on his podcast with Finfer. His explanation was that the hosts say or think something and certain fans interpret it another way. After a period of time, the hosts just get annoyed with callers, and it comes through in the way they treat them on air.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 am 

I ‘d prefer that the hosts berate them on their point or opinion versus berating them for using a standard greeting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Tuned in yesterday and Goff was talking about a guy's daughter bringing home a guy and he transforms into Huggie bear with fish in shoes, bad credit, etc

He said a few legitimately funny things but he said it through the hysterical laughter and half of it was muffled. He needs to learn to deadpan a little bit. Let OTHER PEOPLE laugh at your jokes, Jason. One guy making jokes and another guy laughing is good radio. Two guys laughing where half the jokes dont even come across audibly because of the giggles is not.

They are like a morning news show with the over laughing. WGN thinks they laugh too much.

Or Bob and Tom. Those two jags laugh more than anyone on radio. Always found it annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:03 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
I ‘d prefer that the hosts berate them on their point or opinion versus berating them for using a standard greeting.

That show specifically is just waiting for a reason to huff and puff at callers and then punch the button on them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am 

denisdman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

That show specifically is just waiting for a reason to huff and puff at callers and then punch the button on them.

You’re right. I should just lower my expectations for a good sports radio discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

You’re right. I should just lower my expectations for a good sports radio discussion.

I did as I said I would with the B&G pairing- that is give it a fair shake. That has probably run its course. I have been doing M&H mornings, and then ESPN 1000 the rest of the day until I head home. That's where I give B&G 30 minutes of my time.

I am enjoying Mac's podcast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am 

denisdman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

The fastest way to get Dan to berate a caller is for the fan to start with the phrases: My Opinion or I think. He hates when callers give their opinion.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am 

conns7901 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

The fastest way to get Dan to berate a caller is for the fan to start with the phrases: My Opinion or I think. He hates when callers give their opinion.

He went off the a few weeks ago when the guy started out by saying, "it feels like..." Bernsie said if it's not on Baseball Reference or Fan Graphs, then it can't be quantified. Meaning, don't bring your opinions unless backed by numerical facts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
"you don't have to lose your sense of logic to be a die hard fan"

The fuck you talking about? The implication of die hard fan status is that you continue believing in your team's chance of success beyond the point it was still logical to do so.

You don't find it offensive that the only caller of the day who expressed some semblance of hope was heavily ridiculed by hosts on the flagship station?

This is a completely cherry-picked synopsis of that call yesterday. When the caller was pressed on whether he thought the Cubs would win the series, the caller's answer was 'no' (the same thought as Dan & Jason).

Your synopsis hardly reflects the context. They were browbeating him for minutes telling him that anyone who held out hope was stupid and illogical. When they finally arrived at that question to him the answer had been reduced to a choice of either being stupid or not believing.

How many different times during that call did the attempt to alter the caller's belief in what a die hard fan was?

My synopsis is very reflective of the substance of the call.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
rogers park bryan wrote:

when he was a producer, you could audibly hear his mike cut off. That's probably when he did all his laughing. Given a bigger platform, he just comes across as too laughy. Which is a shame. Dude's good at basketball, has a decent sense of humor...full time work is just exposing him. He's best off in a three man booth where he's clearly the third guy. I like him a lot, but I'd like him a lot more as a chime in guy/play drops 24/7. Let's get back to drops 24/7.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 am 

Goff is great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Goff is great.

you state that as though I'm saying he's not. He is great...just in the wrong role currently.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Humans, at least the ones I know, typically have a friendly salutation when they greet someone. When someone asks you, “how are you doing,” they typically don’t care nor want an honest response—they are just being friendly and opening the conversation.

Why this is taboo when “fans are talking to fans” on an audible-only medium, I will never understand.

I don't find this controversial at all. Pleasantries waste precious time during a radio call. Just get to the point and hang up. Save the pleasantries for your Sunday brunch with the in-laws.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
conns7901 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Or: "I was at the game last night and--"

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU WERE AT THE GAME!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I don't find this controversial at all. Pleasantries waste precious time during a radio call. Just get to the point and hang up. Save the pleasantries for your Sunday brunch with the in-laws.

Right, more time for Jason to thrill us with talk about his dishwasher.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
veganfan21 wrote:

As good dolphin was saying, it's built into human interaction, at least in English. It's something linguists have written about--a lot. To not do it would confuse the hell out of everyone.

Besides, they orient the conversation, too, when they say, "We'll go to Caller Bob from Shitsville."

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Right, more time for Jason to thrill us with talk about his dishwasher.

We gonna' do this?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Goff is great?? :shock:

I think Trump has caused us all to lower our standards so much that we forget when something or someone is actually great. John Records Landecker was great. Kevin Matthews was great. Don Wade was great. Despite what you think of his politics, Rush is great. Goff is mediocre on his best days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

this happens largely when they see what's going to be talked about on-screen, and are already annoyed by it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next