It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:28 pm 

Forgive me if someone else already pointed this out

So Goff goes off on a tangent about Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake (I happen to agree with the Giggler on that) and then they came back from break....

Jason: Look at the text screen

Dan (in a low incredulous voice): Why are people pushing back on this?

So, at that moment it dawned on me that Dan is trying to play the Boers role and let Jason be New Dan. This is a terrible idea on many levels.

Dan cant do Terry. Make fun of Boers all you want, he was funny and knew how to play that role. Bernstein cant be the crotchety old guy just kind of laughing at things. He's still waaaay too angry for that.

On the other hand, Goff is no Dan Bernstein. He cant do the intellectual superiority or very important radio thing.

Instead of a dumb recasting of B and B, just be a new show. They are both decent in certain ways, it will probably be good.

Later,
rpb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:

So Goff goes off on a tangent about Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake (I happen to agree with the Giggler on that) and then they came back from break....

So, at that moment it dawned on me that Dan is trying to play the Boers role and let Jason be New Dan. This is a terrible idea on many levels.

Dan cant do Terry. Make fun of Boers all you want, he was funny and knew how to play that role. Bernstein cant be the crotchety old guy just kind of laughing at things. He's still waaaay too angry for that.

On the other hand, Goff is no Dan Bernstein. He cant do the intellectual superiority or very important radio thing.

Instead of a dumb recasting of B and B, just be a new show. They are both decent in certain ways, it will probably be good.

Later,
rpb

Not really. Jason is absolutely trying to be Dan. He has been ever since he became Bernstein's producer. But Dan is still Dan. He hasn't become Terry. So we just have 2 Dans now. Except Jason can't pull it off that well. But Goff talks 70% of the time. Where Bernstein used to talk 70% of the time with Terry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
RPB, it is a broader issue for this show. For instance, Kaper protests during the National Anthem. He chooses that setting because he knows it will raise awareness: read- it will ruffle feathers. Then guys like B&G are surprised when people get upset.

If you put out a strong opinion, be it a sports thought or political in nature, there is almost always going to be some counter reaction. Stop acting so surprised when it happens. YOU WANT IT TO HAPPEN.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
That was the bit of the show I caught yesterday as well. Goff is too hung up on the text screen and Twitter. I also heard when Goff and Dan were talking with Dan Pompei. Goff was actually asking cogent, intelligent questions. I know Dan and Goff get all pissy when people say this, but if Goff actually "stuck to sports" it wouldn't be a terrible listen. He is awful when he gets on social issues or criticizing people's clothing style.

Goff is a lot like Trump. When he sticks to the script, he can be ok to listen to. It's when he goes off script and lets Twitter people affect his mood that he becomes unbearable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:48 pm 

Goff has good sports thoughts. He obviously pays attention and is engaged. Someone mentioned it in another thread that Goff is not the problem. It is the Bernstein halo on him that causes him to go social activism. I dunno because it's not like Dan is leading him to water. Goff has been the aggressor in most conversations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Later,
rpb
Strong, well founded criticism rpb. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
That was the bit of the show I caught yesterday as well. Goff is too hung up on the text screen and Twitter. I also heard when Goff and Dan were talking with Dan Pompei. Goff was actually asking cogent, intelligent questions.

That's another thing. He may not have Mulli's length, but Dan is one of the all time worst interviewers, too.

Loaded or Leading doesnt even do justice to what Dan does.

It's like

Dan: Have you noticed (insert 30 second diatribe about thing that is obviously taking place) that this is more part of the issue now?

Guest: Yes. I have. (repeats what Dan just said)

Riveting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Goff has good sports thoughts. He obviously pays attention and is engaged. Someone mentioned it in another thread that Goff is not the problem. It is the Bernstein halo on him that causes him to go social activism. I dunno because it's not like Dan is leading him to water. Goff has been the aggressor in most conversations.

Dan doesn't lead him. But Goff knows Dan's history of social activism on the show. So it's almost like he wants to impress his master with his version. "Look Daddy, I can do it too." Plus Goff knows that Dan will always say "Whitey sucks" to back him up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
rogers park bryan wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
That was the bit of the show I caught yesterday as well. Goff is too hung up on the text screen and Twitter. I also heard when Goff and Dan were talking with Dan Pompei. Goff was actually asking cogent, intelligent questions.

That's another thing. He may not have Mulli's length, but Dan is one of the all time worst interviewers, too.

Loaded or Leading doesnt even do justice to what Dan does.

It's like

Dan: Have you noticed (insert 30 second diatribe about thing that is obviously taking place) that this is more part of the issue now?

Guest: Yes. I have. (repeats what Dan just said)

Riveting

Yep. My favorite questions he asks are when he subtly attacks someone in a question because of his own personal biases, and the interviewee basically answers it in a normal way bypassing the answer Dan is looking for. They often times involve people who adhere to non-scientific stats or head coaches who don't answer questions at a press conference. Dan will basically want Rich Campbell to say something totally disparaging about John Fox because that is the way Dan thinks, and "everyone should be honest"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The content of Dan's interview questions suck, but he's one of like two people at the station who can ask an actual question that doesn't turn into:

a) a long-winded statement; or

b) a question so long that the interviewee doesn't even know what is being asked.

Low bar, I know, but I'll take the leading questions over diarrhea of the mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:13 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Not really.

Yes, really. You may have missed it. You'll hear it now. Especially when Goff goes on a rant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:13 pm 

Lots of quality criticism today. I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
The content of Dan's interview questions suck, but he's one of like two people at the station who can ask an actual question that doesn't turn into:

b) a question so long that the interviewee doesn't even know what is being asked.

Low bar, I know, but I'll take the leading questions over diarrhea of the mouth.

Maybe that's when Dan actually respects the opinion of the guest. The last few I heard were absolutely A and B.

Silverman is good. He asks a question and then get's the fuck out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
leashyourkids wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 pm 

I tried listening to the show yesterday and couldn't listen to more then 3minutes. Went something like this...

Goff, "Hey man, (laugh, mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, high pitched screetch) Ain't no time for the sticks when you have a baby (laugh, mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, high pitched screetch)

Dan, "My kid noticed that Rizzo was using Kyle Schwarber's bat! I had to rewind it, but the little genius was correct, what an eye for detail! Future MLB scout."

Goff, "Really, like he be watching it and (laugh, mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, high pitched screetch) unreal dude.

(Low serious voice) Your son has a real chance at becoming something in this messed up world, Dan. I can just hope my kid doesn't grow up to be a bum, like the one on lower Wacker, who reeks of Crown Royal and old drawers. (laugh, mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, high pitched screetch)

Dan, "Lets take some callers. Mike, you are on the score."
Mike, "Hello, how are you doing today."
Dan, "(sighs....breaths in deeply).... fine Mike"
Goff, Mike man you need to (mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, mumble) for real if you are going to call a (laugh, mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, high pitched screetch) show.

Mike, "Da, Bears need to start Cohen at WR."
Dan, "NO Mike, (little girly laugh) What makes you believe starting him at WR will get you closer to the Super Bowl?
Goff, (laugh, mumble, laugh-laugh, mumble, high pitched screetch) Bulls play tonight my man. Forget the NFL, #Colin Kaepernick matters

Mike, "I don't watch the NBA"
Goff, (low serious voice) Why not ... Mike...you have something against black athletes?
Mike, "um, ah no ... um...
(SHOTGUN!!!!!)
Dan, "This brings up a good point about racism that we need to address for the next half of the show."
Goff, "Yeah Dan, I got a lot of things I need to get off my chest. We should continue this into tomorrow's show as well. Some things are more important then sports and lucky for you listeners, you have me here to tell you how it is for real."

:? PTFB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm 

Milwaukee Bucks talk!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SuperMario wrote:
He is awful when he gets on social issues or criticizing people's clothing style.

yeh yeh yeh you can tell me my shoes look like a fam but I got a wife and kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Milwaukee Bucks talk!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
He is awful when he gets on social issues or criticizing people's clothing style.

yeh yeh yeh you can tell me my shoes look like a fam but I got a wife and kid

I heard an Xfinity Commercial on M&H this morning where Goff is doing the promo. He is actually pitching that with the Xfinity Home product he can keep his one year old warm without leaving bed.

And I thought I was sick of hearing about Bernsie's kid back in the day. Wait until Goff's kid starts playing sports.....oh my.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Dan's patented "far be it from me to be the one...."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
so i forgot to renew my special xm deal so i lost streaming for a few days. so for 4 days this week, i've had to flip the dial around on the way home to find something to listen to.

each time i turned to b&g this is what they were talking about :

- outrage still about kaepernick
- outrage about timberlake
- outrage about kaepernick again!!
- outrage about the girl not getting a trophy for golf.

and by they, i mean goff. he basically dominated the conversation on these topics for the few minutes i listened. and you are right RPB, bernstein totally played the boers part in each one of these.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 am 

They were outraged about Timberlake?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:12 am 

hnd wrote:
so i forgot to renew my special xm deal so i lost streaming for a few days. so for 4 days this week, i've had to flip the dial around on the way home to find something to listen to.

and by they, i mean goff. he basically dominated the conversation on these topics for the few minutes i listened. and you are right RPB, bernstein totally played the boers part in each one of these.

Well, that's a slightly better and more creative excuse than BigFan's ole, I walked into a room and the Score was on. But only slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Goff did seem quite upset at the seemingly disparate treatment of Janet Jackson vs Justin Timberlake after the half time show "equipment" malfunction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:15 am 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Goff did seem quite upset at the seemingly disparate treatment of Janet Jackson vs Justin Timberlake after the half time show "equipment" malfunction.

Don't most people realize she got the worst of the treatment?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Justin has some making up to do. He owes Janet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:17 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I can't speak intelligently on the realizations of "most people". :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Last week? Two weeks ago? I dunno.

Salsa went on a huge rant about single guys with cats. He was right. It's a weird situation and those dudes are weird.

But don't take up a whole segment out let alone 2. He did the usual, "OMG, text screen is blowing up! The cat people are out!"

Look, with any text rebuttals those people are .0001% of listeners who even bother to text. Stop making a huge table pounding deal out of any disagreement.

Take a Midol for fucks sake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Kirkwood wrote:
Last week? Two weeks ago? I dunno.

Salsa went on a huge rant about single guys with cats. He was right. It's a weird situation and those dudes are weird.

But don't take up a whole segment out let alone 2. He did the usual, "OMG, text screen is blowing up! The cat people are out!"

Look, with any text rebuttals those people are .0001% of listeners who even bother to text. Stop making a huge table pounding deal out of any disagreement.

Take a Midol for fucks sake.

"People on twitter" was once, and sometimes still is, "people on the text line", and it makes for some awful radio especially when, as Goff most often does, the host just responds to the text screen as though the listener can read or hear it. At least Bernstein adopts his condescending Chicago accent or his brotastic voice when he reads off the text, and then responds to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
denisdman wrote:
hnd wrote:

Well, that's a slightly better and more creative excuse than BigFan's ole, I walked into a room and the Score was on. But only slightly.

25 bucks for 6 mo was a sweet deal with streaming. since getting siriusxm its been sparce any 670 listening.