It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
His offense was strong. It just played in a park that held its numbers down.

For at least 10 seasons it was decidedly below average. Are we calling "below average" offense "strong" now?

For ten seasons he happened to pitch in the Astrodome. Why is it so difficult to understand that the same thing that helped his pitching hurt his team's offense?

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
He was so great, yet somehow 2/3 of the time average bums pitched better than he did.

As evidenced by his winning win percentage?

This is JORR arguing that Nolan Ryan was actually kind of average, ladies and gentlemen. :lol:

:lol: Nolan Ryan was far from a great pitcher. He was also far from ordinary. He was a freakish guy, the hardest ever to hit. But at the end of it all the amount of baserunners he allowed was unimpressive. More baserunners per inning than such luminaries as Jeff Samardzija and Atlee Hammaker. Those baserunners showed up in his W/L record. Not that .526 is terrible, but it is certainly disappointing for a man who missed more bats than anyone in baseball history.

Those Astros teams were pretty f-ing solid offensive teams, loads of talent. Their numbers were heavily impacted by the done.

Early in his tenure there JR Richard was as good as Nolan if not better and later Mike Scott was the bell cow on those teams.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

For ten seasons he happened to pitch in the Astrodome. Why is it so difficult to understand that the same thing that helped his pitching hurt his team's offense?

Probably as hard as it is for you to understand that about 4 of the 10 below average seasons of the 16 seasons reviewed were those Houston teams.

I'm not saying he never pitched on teams with below average offenses. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a guy who pitched 25 years who didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
Hopefully Dr. Ken (or was it WZ?) dusts off the Joe Morgan mult for an appearance in this thread.
Pretty sure it was W_Z. He generally nailed it with that mult. His signature was great too, something along the lines of this;

Well, the one thing you have to understand is, that in terms of basemen, second is greater than first, and that in terms of second basemen, I am the first.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Hopefully Dr. Ken (or was it WZ?) dusts off the Joe Morgan mult for an appearance in this thread.
Pretty sure it was W_Z. He generally nailed it with that mult. His signature was great too, something along the lines of this;

Well, the one thing you have to understand is, that in terms of basemen, second is greater than first, and that in terms of second basemen, I am the first.

My favorite was when he replied to a chess thread and talked about stalemate and how he didnt know it, the only thing the Big Red Machine knew was Check, mate.