All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It seems like if we take your thoughts in this thread to it's logical conclusion, that NOTHING about the NFL and how they operate is unfair because that is how it is and it was negotiated. Is this correct?

No.

So what is unfair for players in the NFL?

One off the top of my head? Collectively bargaining for the Commissioner to set the standard of evidence in player disciplinary investigations, the Commissioner setting the standard as per his collectively-bargained powers, then abandoning that standard.

So leave the union then!

Now you got it! As for new players they can not report to the team that drafted them. That would force a trade or they can renter the draft again the next year. It’s a pretty fair deal all around.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's just think about this hypothetical situation. Imagine the NFL draft doesn't exist. However, the Cleveland Browns are allowed to offer a contract of $28 million over 4 years, and the second team can offer $24 million over 4 years, and the third team can offer $20 million over 4 years and then it goes down for the whole first round. So, a player can choose to sign up to play for the Eagles, but he's going to get $8 million over 4 years instead of playing for the Browns. So, the question is basically how much money are you willing to give up to not play for the Browns?

I think NBA Superteams have shown that players are perfectly fine leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table for the chance to play for a winner when there is almost no league influence on their ability to make a decision on where to play. Dwyane Wade accepted a buyout on a $20 million contract to go be Seventh Chair on the Cavs.

I don't think rookies would think that way, though.

It is an easier decision to make when you’re a 35-year-old 3x World Champion, married to a supermodel and worth a quarter of a billion dollars.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It seems like if we take your thoughts in this thread to it's logical conclusion, that NOTHING about the NFL and how they operate is unfair because that is how it is and it was negotiated. Is this correct?

No.

So what is unfair for players in the NFL?

One off the top of my head? Collectively bargaining for the Commissioner to set the standard of evidence in player disciplinary investigations, the Commissioner setting the standard as per his collectively-bargained powers, then abandoning that standard.

So leave the union then!

Now you got it! As for new players they can not report to the team that drafted them. That would force a trade or they can renter the draft again the next year. It’s a pretty fair deal all around.

Why are you talking about this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Why are you talking about this?

Because I’m bored like you and feel like arguing endlessly about things we have no control over like you.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Pittmike is determined to derail the only interesting thread of the day. For what reasons, only he knows.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Pittmike is determined to derail the only interesting thread of the day. For what reasons, only he knows.

Not really. It’s just obvious to me that an old topic like this is a sports talk radio trick to waste time with nothing. I’ll move on. Have fun.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
There was a time pittmike would've stuck to his guns and asked about ass play.

What happened to that guy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:28 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

The thrill is gone... The thrill has gone away.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Question: if you get drafted but refuse to report, I know you can re-enter the draft the following year. But is there any path to becoming a free agent once you’ve been drafted? Wait two years? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:41 pm 

pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not really. It’s just obvious to me that an old topic like this is a sports talk radio trick to waste time with nothing. I’ll move on. Have fun.

Old topic? You hear the topic of ending the draft a lot?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

He's farmed that out to his original board name, Hawaii You.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Heisenberg wrote:
Question: if you get drafted but refuse to report, I know you can re-enter the draft the following year. But is there any path to becoming a free agent once you’ve been drafted? Wait two years? Just curious.

Can't speak for the NFL but the NHL rules are thus:

If you're drafted out of major-junior or an overseas league, the drafting team holds your rights for two years, during which time only they can sign you to an entry-level contract. If you're unsigned after two years, you're eligible to be drafted again. If you're drafted out of high school, Junior A, or the USHL with a commitment to play in the NCAA, the drafting team holds your rights for four years, and if you're not signed to a contract, you're eligible for free agency, but only on entry-level terms. If you graduate from college undrafted or use up your major-junior eligibility without being drafted, you're granted free agency, but not necessarily bound to a three-year, two-tiered entry-level contract.

The most famous case of being a bitch about the NHL draft is of course Eric Lindros, who refused to sign with the Quebec Nordiques because Quebec City was too small, too cold, and too French for that delicate hothouse flower and his blood-sucking mom and dad. He sat out an entire year while Quebec refused to trade him until finally they sent him to Philadelphia for Peter Forsberg and a bunch of pieces that helped win two championships for the team -- once it moved to Denver, having been put on the ropes by a Canadian recession and finished off by the perception that it was the most undesirable hellhole on any sports map.

Baseball's draft is super-easy get around. I feel like half the North Americans in the bigs were drafted by one team, wouldn't sign there, then got drafted again by a team they were amenable to, i.e., not Oakland or Kansas City.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
cookie23 wrote:
Any Seinfeld fans on here?

I tell ya, I don't see it happening.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.