It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
When talking about guys in clubs with bottles of champagne, I think Goff said "You Look Like a Fairy!"

Did I hear that correctly? I thought they had evolved beyond that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tad Queasy wrote:
When talking about guys in clubs with bottles of champagne, I think Goff said "You Look Like a Fairy!"

Did I hear that correctly? I thought they had evolved beyond that.

There it is!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
LOL, okay it wasn't just me. Got in the car around 130 and turned it on. The conversation was all over the place with sexting and drinking. Then Goff said something like "Put down the Champaign, you look like a Fairy."

Then making references to putting it on the glass, sexting.

It was different. Any Seinfeld fans on here? For the second day Goff sounds like Kramer after he won the coffee lawsuit and had unlimited caffee latte's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
cookie23 wrote:
LOL, okay it wasn't just me. Got in the car around 130 and turned it on. The conversation was all over the place with sexting and drinking. Then Goff said something like "Put down the Champaign, you look like a Fairy."

It was different. Any Seinfeld fans on here? For the second day Goff sounds like Kramer after he won the coffee lawsuit and had unlimited caffee latte's.

He does sound very hyper and spastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

He does sound very hyper and spastic.

Homophobic too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sounds like Goff may be an honorary hockey player with all the lines he's doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm 

Both want the draft gone. Irish Boy wins again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Be better, Jason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Which one? NFL? All of them? Where do you stand on the draft?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
cookie23 wrote:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They are referring to the NFL but the same complaints would be true for any league.

I think it's an interesting idea. It is grossly unfair for the players. You would need some sort of rookie money pool still I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They are referring to the NFL but the same complaints would be true for any league.

I think it's an interesting idea. It is grossly unfair for the players. You would need some sort of rookie money pool still I think.

i guess idiotic idea talk isSTILL better than national NBA talk.. so it's an improvement

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm 

It is unfair and a bit silly, but there needs to be an equitable distribution of new talent if you're going to have a remotely fair league. It's especially worrisome in the NHL, where you have the paradox of many of your largest revenue generators (Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Winnipeg and Edmonton at least per capita) being places where players would sooner die than work, and of course those organizations rely heavily on drafted talent even more than most NHL teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm 

It's not idiotic to think that the draft is unfair. Who is to say that many draft "BUSTS" wouldn't have succeeded with better coaching or organizations?

College sports don't have a draft and they do alright.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:25 pm 

LOL, thank you Chus. Still new posting here, but had that in mind!!!! Big time seinfeld fan. That is the gif I would have used!!!

Have not listened since I got out of the car and into the office, but Goff was giving me a headache. Not on material or anything, but how fast he was talking, seemed out of breathe, the giggling, etc.

With some downtime will tune in later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's not idiotic to think that the draft is unfair.

correct, it is unfair to the players. however, if you want a professional sports to exist a draft is needed or else over time the league becomes unbalanced.... so the thought of getting rid of drafts is idiotic because it wouldnt work

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

generally only a handful of the 100+ college teams have a realistic shot at the title because the top talent gravitates to the top teams each year.... thank you for proving my point on why drafts are a necessary "evil" in pro sports.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's not idiotic to think that the draft is unfair. Who is to say that many draft "BUSTS" wouldn't have succeeded with better coaching or organizations?

Of course it's unfair, especially considering that shitshow organizations are usually the ones drafting at the top. Maybe entry-level contracts should be shorter so that a second chance can come along sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm 

Why is Dan siding with players over ownership for the first time, anyway? He's asking "why would you want the owners to hold power" when he spent years attached to Jerry Reinsdorf's taint. WYC, Dan?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It is unfair and a bit silly, but there needs to be an equitable distribution of new talent if you're going to have a remotely fair league. It's especially worrisome in the NHL, where you have the paradox of many of your largest revenue generators (Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Winnipeg and Edmonton at least per capita) being places where players would sooner die than work, and of course those organizations rely heavily on drafted talent even more than most NHL teams.
Well, the salary cap still exists, and if you really want to keep it fair give the worst teams more salary cap money to help them catch up.

Those places where people don't want to work can find ways to convince them by either selling them on how well they will treat and develop them or just offering more money than the Chicago franchise can.

However, you do see this in college sports. There will be an Alabama that gets much more talent. The difference would be that Alabama would have to pay players less.

Let's just think about this hypothetical situation. Imagine the NFL draft doesn't exist. However, the Cleveland Browns are allowed to offer a contract of $28 million over 4 years, and the second team can offer $24 million over 4 years, and the third team can offer $20 million over 4 years and then it goes down for the whole first round. So, a player can choose to sign up to play for the Eagles, but he's going to get $8 million over 4 years instead of playing for the Browns. So, the question is basically how much money are you willing to give up to not play for the Browns?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:33 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

correct, it is unfair to the players. however, if you want a professional sports to exist a draft is needed or else over time the league becomes unbalanced.... so the thought of getting rid of drafts is idiotic because it wouldnt work

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

generally only a handful of the 100+ college teams have a realistic shot at the title because the top talent gravitates to the top teams each year.... thank you for proving my point on why drafts are a necessary "evil" in pro sports.
The salary cap still exists. That is what keeps things equal. With no draft, I assume there would be a rookie pool of money and you'd see things like you do in baseball where players get overdrafted or underdrafted based on how much of the pool they are willing to take.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Well, the salary cap still exists, and if you really want to keep it fair give the worst teams more salary cap money to help them catch up.

Those places where people don't want to work can find ways to convince them by either selling them on how well they will treat and develop them or just offering more money than the Chicago franchise can.

Here, you're brushing up against the fatal flaw of the NHL CBA: the floor-ceiling system requires low-revenue teams to spend relative to mean league revenue, but the disparity means that the top teams drive that mean up past what's reasonable for the bottom teams. That's why the Coyotes have a roster full of players who don't actually draw paychecks but have hits assigned to the salary cap (e.g., trading for Pavel Datsyuk who is suspended without pay for failing to report to the team, having left for Russia before being traded). You cold let them spent more money on rookie players, but when they don't make the money to spend, to what end?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The salary cap still exists. That is what keeps things equal. With no draft, I assume there would be a rookie pool of money and you'd see things like you do in baseball where players get overdrafted or underdrafted based on how much of the pool they are willing to take.

a rookie pool likely just shifts money to the top talent and the 4 thru 7 round talent will end up getting less money. shorter term rookie contracts is an interesting idea but the NFL would never give in to NFLPA on that...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Depends what the guy in the club is doing with the Champagne.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:41 pm 

Oh, Dan just wants agents to make more money, duh, don't know why I didn't see it sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 pm 

billypootons wrote:
a rookie pool likely just shifts money to the top talent and the 4 thru 7 round talent will end up getting less money. shorter term rookie contracts is an interesting idea but the NFL would never give in to NFLPA on that...
The talent in rounds 4 through 7 already don't get paid that much. Given there is a league minimum on salaries already I doubt that it effects them much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Why do any of you care? The league and union will decide this if they want. You have been trolled.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:50 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Why do any of you care? The league and union will decide this if they want. You have been trolled.

Why do you care?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's just think about this hypothetical situation. Imagine the NFL draft doesn't exist. However, the Cleveland Browns are allowed to offer a contract of $28 million over 4 years, and the second team can offer $24 million over 4 years, and the third team can offer $20 million over 4 years and then it goes down for the whole first round. So, a player can choose to sign up to play for the Eagles, but he's going to get $8 million over 4 years instead of playing for the Browns. So, the question is basically how much money are you willing to give up to not play for the Browns?

I think NBA Superteams have shown that players are perfectly fine leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table for the chance to play for a winner when there is almost no league influence on their ability to make a decision on where to play. Dwyane Wade accepted a buyout on a $20 million contract to go be Seventh Chair on the Cavs.

The MLB international system is similar to what is being discussed by Dan and Jason, but that system is [1] wrought with unethical behavior and [2] differs in decision making because of how baseball career arcs are shaped versus those of football or basketball players.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Also, isn't the entry draft in every professional league specifically negotiated for? If the players all felt the draft is fundamentally unfair and said unfairness is a detriment to their members, why haven't they tried to negotiate it out of existence?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I think NBA Superteams have shown that players are perfectly fine leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table for the chance to play for a winner when there is almost no league influence on their ability to make a decision on where to play. Dwyane Wade accepted a buyout on a $20 million contract to go be Seventh Chair on the Cavs.
Those players already have more money than they know what to do with. That's later in their career. A rookie that literally may never get another contract besides the league minimum to be a backup has a different thought process.

We don't really see that stuff happen often in the NFL with free agency either. Even in MLB most players end up taking the most money.