It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/15 Bernstein and Grote
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Throwing him a bone after getting hosed out of the Cubs job?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Should be interesting to hear how deep they delve into the switch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Should be interesting to hear how deep they delve into the switch.

Bernstein will tiptoe very carefully.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
maybe zaidman got another offer and this was the score's way of justifying a bump in pay to ZZ? maybe grotes only took an "ego" hit and not a hit in the wallet? as larry and dan can attest, the bears beat is REALLY.IMPORTANT.WORK too

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If Zach gets another offer, you let him take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Grote already talked to the paper about the switch. It clearly read like he was disappointed and shocked. Why wouldn't he talk about it on the air? Maybe expound a little bit more.

Granted, he'll never admit that Pat Hughes pushed him out. But he absolutely believes it.

Please stop with the notion that this was a Zaidman power play. Like I've said, you can't pull a power play when you have no power. Zack was just chosen as the replacement because Mitch knew Pat would be comfortable with a boring broadcaster type with no personality. Somebody that wouldn't try to outshine Pat.

Pat Hughes has power. He made the play.

Zack was only chosen because Pat wanted Grote out. And they had to get somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I literally laughed out loud when, in talking about Corey Crawford, Bernstein said "I have to be careful how I say this..."

It was rather anti-climactic as he went on to say that the Blackhawks have been very quiet about Crawford's upper body injury and concluded with "Something is going on, but I don't know what it is." and then threw out blah, blah, blah, "HIPPA Laws."

So, he starts with "I have to be careful how I say this..." and concludes with "Something is going on, but I don't know what it is."

:lol: He's such a fraud.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tad Queasy wrote:
I literally laughed out loud when, in talking about Corey Crawford, Bernstein said "I have to be careful how I say this..."

It was rather anti-climactic as he went on to say that the Blackhawks have been very quiet about Crawford's upper body injury and concluded with "Something is going on, but I don't know what it is." and then threw out blah, blah, blah, "HIPPA Laws."

So, he starts with "I have to be careful how I say this..." and concludes with "Something is going on, but I don't know what it is."

Is Bernstein trying to say that Crawford has a STD?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Grote sounds great.

They should put Goff out to pasture and move him into Boers' old locker.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Why do all the whites at the SCORE choose to bank their MLK holiday? Goff and Larry always take MLK day off. Says about the god damn SCORE whites.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Loses his Cubs gig and has to co-host with Lil Danny? Grote really has pissed someone off .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Tad Queasy wrote:

Everyone knows he is in some sort of rehab.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Beardown wrote:
Grote already talked to the paper about the switch. It clearly read like he was disappointed and shocked. Why wouldn't he talk about it on the air? Maybe expound a little bit more.

Granted, he'll never admit that Pat Hughes pushed him out. But he absolutely believes it.

Please stop with the notion that this was a Zaidman power play. Like I've said, you can't pull a power play when you have no power. Zack was just chosen as the replacement because Mitch knew Pat would be comfortable with a boring broadcaster type with no personality. Somebody that wouldn't try to outshine Pat.

Pat Hughes has power. He made the play.

Zack was only chosen because Pat wanted Grote out. And they had to get somebody.

i'll be honest, the fact that this made the tribune and suntimes amuses me.... http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/br ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Loses his Cubs gig and has to co-host with Lil Danny? Grote really has pissed someone off .

It really is a HUGE demotion. Being a part of 162 Cubs games is a big deal. Now he's on the bears beat. Yeah, he'll be on the sideline guy for 16 Bears games reporting on ankle sprains and concussions. The rest of the week he's at Halas Hall interviewing players and coaches that say nothing. Bears are big. But his job isn't compared to the Cubs job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Grote was on Mac's podcast on Friday. From how he was talking, he clearly views it as a demotion but it saying all the right things. Unless there's a corresponding DeCastro move that's waiting for somebody else to get axed, and they're sticking Grote on the Bears beat to give him a mostly paid vacation.

Mac, Parkins, and Grote as a three-man weave from 2-6?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 pm 

Panther pislA wrote:
Grote sounds great.

Grote has legitimate on-air talent. Was a pleasant listen with some laugh out loud moments and no hyperbole beyond the Crawford minute. I started listening again with all the Bears stuff. I've yet to make it through a full show until today.

It's amazing how Bernstein can be tamed if you pair him with the right guy. His suck is less oppressive. Goff is not the right guy. I liked him as a producer where he would chime in occasionally but that seems like a lifetime ago. How management doesn't see this is kind of frightening. It screams of a diversity hire. But these are the same people who cling to massively flawed ways of rating their listenership. Out of all the people I know personally who once listened religiously to the shows, they dont anymore.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

No matter who subs for Goff, it's just nice to hear actual calm conversation between the hosts. Not the screaming, laughing and interrupting that we get with Goff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Mac, Parkins, and Grote as a three-man weave from 2-6?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
mrgoodkat wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Grote sounds great.

Grote has legitimate on-air talent. Was a pleasant listen with some laugh out loud moments and no hyperbole beyond the Crawford minute. I started listening again with all the Bears stuff. I've yet to make it through a full show until today.

It's amazing how Bernstein can be tamed if you pair him with the right guy. His suck is less oppressive. Goff is not the right guy. I liked him as a producer where he would chime in occasionally but that seems like a lifetime ago. How management doesn't see this is kind of frightening. It screams of a diversity hire. But these are the same people who cling to massively flawed ways of rating their listenership. Out of all the people I know personally who once listened religiously to the shows, they dont anymore.

Agreed. The quality of Bernstein we get is greatly dependent on his partner. There have been many times over the years when he had a sub for Boers that the show was just unlistenable due to pairings with Holmes, Matty, or Rongey. Just too much grab ass or comic book bullshit. Put Bernstein with a mature host and you get excellent sports talk. Put him with Herron, Rozner, or Rosenbloom and you get a quality show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jason really has replaced Terry in the sense that he gives Dan like seven different fill-in hosts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:22 pm 

mrgoodkat wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Grote sounds great.

Funny how no one ever sees Bernstein or Sirrott as the hire of a friend's kid that they were.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Regular Reader wrote:
mrgoodkat wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Grote sounds great.

Funny how no one ever sees Bernstein or Sirrott as the hire of a friend's kid that they were.

Maybe because MANY don't know this story. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Juddly was the easy one, with Uncle Bob a made guy on both radio and TV. Throw him a bone and make him a producer on the HFC, somebody had to do it and Jim Modelski was unavailable.

Bernstein, I know nothing about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 am 

I never realized Judd and Bob Sirott were related, even as it sat there in plain sight. The Score was a project when Judd started. If producer is a shit job today, imagine being a producer with no security that the company will exist beyond a month and no equipment on which to produce. That was a below entry level position, even if he had help getting it.

The Bernstein tentacles are very long (as opposed to the testicles which are very short). He would have been able to call in some favors in whatever field he chose. However, those minor league teams had to be creaming their jeans when they saw Duke on a resume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
The Bernstein tentacles are very long (as opposed to the testicles which are very short). He would have been able to call in some favors in whatever field he chose. However, those minor league teams had to be creaming their jeans when they saw Duke on a resume

I disagree. One thing I always liked about Dan was the fact that he worked a lot of jobs working his way up to where he is today. Did he get Dad's help on some of them? Probably but he still had to do them. It is also why I am sad about what he has become today way up on his pedestal.

-Ronald Reagan