It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
I wonder if they could get Valenti what would happen? Would Dan ratchet up the smarm? Would Jason just get louder and start interrupting?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm 

You seem to have edited both posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

God damnit. I really don't feel like typing all of that again. But I think Valenti's "context" was in reference to the conclusions of the investigations spawned by the "re-hashed" allegations. He seems to be alleging that OTL simply brought up the allegations again, presented them next to the university's complicity in Nassar, and neglected to mention how both coaches in question cooperated with investigations, and how those allegations were ultimately resolved vis a vis the actions of the coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

God damnit. I really don't feel like typing all of that again. But I think Valenti's "context" was in reference to the conclusions of the investigations spawned by the "re-hashed" allegations. He seems to be alleging that OTL simply brought up the allegations again, presented them next to the university's complicity in Nassar, and neglected to mention how both coaches in question cooperated with investigations, and how those allegations were ultimately resolved vis a vis the actions of the coaches.

So using the certain guilt of Nassar to lend credibility to the allegations against the other programs? A guilt by association angle?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That doesn't matter though. There were also "investigations" of Nassar prior to 2016 when it really blew up. That's where the relevance comes in. The idea is that all of MSU athletics, and above, were doing whatever they could to get things to go away. So, those old allegations need to be looked at differently given what we know about how this specific university handled the Nassar allegations. Here's an example. Izzo claims to have no knowledge of why Travis Walton suddenly left as a graduate student working with the program. He was living in Tom Izzo's basement at the time he quit. Why would that suddenly happen just as an investigation is happening and how could Tom Izzo have no clue about anything? It's plausible to think that as part of the investigation going away that he had to also leave the area. Now, I know the answer is that there isn't proof there beyond a reasonable doubt of anything. The thing is there doesn't have to be. You start to look at patterns. There are a lot of individual allegations that disappeared or were pleaded down to littering( :lol: ). This, when on the backdrop of the Nassar stuff, makes a more than plausible case that there was a culture there where misdeeds were ignored or investigated poorly or possibly even swept away for the good of the program. This is why Izzo will likely retire at the end of the year, and Dantonio will eventually have to be fired.

There is a very strong parallel to Paterno here. He claimed ignorance, and ironically Izzo helped defend him, and people still defend him even though anyone with a brain knows that Paterno knew.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:45 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So using the certain guilt of Nassar to lend credibility to the allegations against the other programs? A guilt by association angle?

That's what I got out of it. And to make matters worse Valenti argues that the allegations brought up by OTL had already been investigated with the full cooperation of both coaches, which wasn't mentioned (hence his repeated mention of "context"). There wasn't anything groundbreaking at all, at least insofar as the allegations/investigations done under both coaching regimes, the allegations (and only the allegations) were presented alongside the assured guild and heinous acts of Nassar, and the university's role in same, to create "evidence" that Izzo and Dantonio have acted with impropriety.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:46 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

MSU ignored or covered up other allegations against Nassar. That is why you must reexamine the other allegations that went away at MSU and there are a lot of them with both football and basketball.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That's what I got out of it. And to make matters worse Valenti argues that the allegations brought up by OTL had already been investigated with the full cooperation of both coaches, which wasn't mentioned (hence his repeated mention of "context"). There wasn't anything groundbreaking at all, at least insofar as the allegations/investigations done under both coaching regimes, the allegations (and only the allegations) were presented alongside the assured guild and heinous acts of Nassar, and the university's role in same, to create "evidence" that Izzo and Dantonio have acted with impropriety.

Izzo can't even answer basic questions and is clearly lying in others. It's not like B&G have invented this crusade. Everyone is questioning Izzo and Dantonio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That doesn't matter though. There were also "investigations" of Nassar prior to 2016 when it really blew up. That's where the relevance comes in. The idea is that all of MSU athletics, and above, were doing whatever they could to get things to go away. So, those old allegations need to be looked at differently given what we know about how this specific university handled the Nassar allegations. Here's an example. Izzo claims to have no knowledge of why Travis Walton suddenly left as a graduate student working with the program. He was living in Tom Izzo's basement at the time he quit. Why would that suddenly happen just as an investigation is happening and how could Tom Izzo have no clue about anything? It's plausible to think that as part of the investigation going away that he had to also leave the area. Now, I know the answer is that there isn't proof there beyond a reasonable doubt of anything. The thing is there doesn't have to be. You start to look at patterns. There are a lot of individual allegations that disappeared or were pleaded down to littering( :lol: ). This, when on the backdrop of the Nassar stuff, makes a more than plausible case that there was a culture there where misdeeds were ignored or investigated poorly or possibly even swept away for the good of the program. This is why Izzo will likely retire at the end of the year, and Dantonio will eventually have to be fired.

There is a very strong parallel to Paterno here. He claimed ignorance, and ironically Izzo helped defend him, and people still defend him even though anyone with a brain knows that Paterno knew.

And to my knowledge there as very little "looking" actually done for supposed investigative journalism, and that's the crux of Valenti's argument. Nothing new was unearthed to show that the university acted with these allegations as they did with Nassar's. It was very simply "here are these allegations from awhile ago, now here is how some in the university acted with Nassar—who sexually assaulted children over and over again and has plead guilty to these repeated heinous crimes—....." And that's not investigative journalism, nor is it very good or credibly journalism, in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
I wonder if they could get Valenti what would happen? Would Dan ratchet up the smarm? Would Jason just get louder and start interrupting?

it would be like the time he had a penn state trustee on who Dan severely underestimated and actually on some scorecards Dan ended up "losing" to the trustee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 pm 

And to my knowledge there as very little "looking" actually done for supposed investigative journalism, and that's the crux of Valenti's argument. Nothing new was unearthed to show that the university acted with these allegations as they did with Nassar's. It was very simply "here are these allegations from awhile ago, now here is how some in the university acted with Nassar—who sexually assaulted children over and over again and has plead guilty to these repeated heinous crimes—....." And that's not investigative journalism, nor is it very good or credibly journalism, in my book.
That's not true. They tried hard to get MSU to give them public information requests which MSU fought hard. They still got some reports that had never been publicized. They investigated by talking to a former sexual assault counselor at MSU who claimed, with her name behind it, that the AD and sometimes actual coaches handled the investigations that we are talking about.

To call it bad journalism is unfair. They've done a great job. Now it's up to MSU and the coaches to be transparent about it and defend themselves. So far, they are simply playing dumb while everyone but Izzo and Dantonio slowly get fired.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That's not true. They tried hard to get MSU to give them public information requests which MSU fought hard. They still got some reports that had never been publicized. They investigated by talking to a former sexual assault counselor at MSU who claimed, with her name behind it, that the AD and sometimes actual coaches handled the investigations that we are talking about.

To call it bad journalism is unfair. They've done a great job. Now it's up to MSU and the coaches to be transparent about it and defend themselves. So far, they are simply playing dumb while everyone but Izzo and Dantonio slowly get fired.

Was this the person that Valenti said couldn't remember names or the specific investigations which may have been biased? Talking to someone with extraordinary claims isn't necessarily good investigative journalism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Was this the person that Valenti said couldn't remember names or the specific investigations which may have been biased? Talking to someone with extraordinary claims isn't necessarily good investigative journalism.
I don't know. In the articles I read he said this:
Quote:
He added, “I want Lauren Allswede to provide proof, I want to see Lauren Allswede’s documentation. I want ESPN to bring real answers to light because then, guess what, I’ll be the one to bring the match to burn my own school down.”

I don't see any of that but I'm sure MSU will soon be defending myself against those allegations too and proving they are false.

From what I remember, you don't believe that universities should be involved in sexual assault investigations and Title IX and Obama was to blame. Why are you now trusting internal university investigations?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

What is this animal? Bernstein was wondering. I'm curious as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

From what I remember, you don't believe that universities should be involved in sexual assault investigations

I don't.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why are you now trusting internal university investigations?

I'm not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Probably a deer or an elk.

Man, I hate those pictures of hunters with shit-eating grins as they hold up dead animals. Hunt if you have to, but don't photograph it like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

From what I remember, you don't believe that universities should be involved in sexual assault investigations

I don't.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not.
So then we need to reexamine these investigations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not.
So then we need to reexamine these investigations.

Why?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm 

The idea here is that MSU either didn't report after their internal investigation, or otherwise interfered with the investigations while working with the AD to make things go away, such as the punch in the face that got taken down to a littering plea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The idea here is that MSU either didn't report after their internal investigation, or otherwise interfered with the investigations while working with the AD to make things go away, such as the punch in the face that got taken down to a littering plea.

"Plea"? The university had littering in their code of conduct and actually investigated claims of littering?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I agree that it is wrong to lump Izzo and Dantonio into the same pot of soup that Nassar is in. If there are issues with the MSU admin and those two coaches do an investigation for sure and hang them if guilty. Just to treat this as all the same story does not seem to be right because Nassar was something else entirely.

If that was what Valenti tried to say I am ok with that.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

"Plea"? The university had littering in their code of conduct and actually investigated claims of littering?

Many believe there was interference or that the AD worked together on the "punch a girl in the face" charge will go away if you plea to littering. We should look at exactly what happened there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Many believe there was interference or that the AD worked together on the "punch a girl in the face" charge will go away if you plea to littering. We should look at exactly what happened there.

Well you said "plea", so was this "plea" the result of a police investigation? If so, why did you bring it up when we were talking about university-lead investigations?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T such as the punch in the face that got taken down to a littering plea.

Somewhere, Joe Mixon just got really angry and he doesn't know why.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well you said "plea", so was this "plea" the result of a police investigation? If so, why did you bring it up when we were talking about university-lead investigations?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
or

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
As said earlier, today I took the day off of the show, but after reading Dan's recent article on Chief Illiniwek and some pervert recording in a bathroom and Dan defending this pervert I am done for a while with the show.

This show used to be my favorite, it was fun, not serious, made me laugh so many times. Esp in the early 2000s.

Show has turned into an angry hatefest on everything. I am in the middle, a little to the left on politics, but even in agreement I find this show too much and just too much venom and hatred.

So unless a major change, will try it in amonth or so. Cannot hate listen, whats the point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:

Man, I hate those pictures of hunters with shit-eating grins as they hold up dead animals. Hunt if you have to, but don't photograph it like that.

hunting for that game will give you a garage freezer or 2 full of fantastic meat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
cookie23 wrote:
As said earlier, today I took the day off of the show, but after reading Dan's recent article on Chief Illiniwek and some pervert recording in a bathroom and Dan defending this pervert I am done for a while with the show.

This show used to be my favorite, it was fun, not serious, made me laugh so many times. Esp in the early 2000s.

Show has turned into an angry hatefest on everything. I am in the middle, a little to the left on politics, but even in agreement I find this show too much and just too much venom and hatred.

So unless a major change, will try it in amonth or so. Cannot hate listen, whats the point.

Nobody cares. Go away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Lol @ scooter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:48 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

hunting for that game will give you a garage freezer or 2 full of fantastic meat.

unless you're Chris McCandless