It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2/8 Deadline Madness
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Mitch just stepped in and had a fairly animated conversation with Dan.

About what? And is that twice in as many days? Is this a new bit Mitch is trying out?

no idea, mic's were off. It's weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

About what? And is that twice in as many days? Is this a new bit Mitch is trying out?

no idea, mic's were off. It's weird.

Did Dan break bad on the Bulls?

Because Mitch owes Jerry and always will.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm 

Dan was relating a dream he had where his car was hijacked but he still had to come to work.
Tanny: Dan even fantasizes about ways to get out of coming to work.
Jason: Wrong Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
orioleboy wrote:
Dan was relating a dream he had where his car was hijacked but he still had to come to work.

I love how red ass they get about Mac's return.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
orioleboy wrote:

Address it in tranny, Jas--oh right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm 

orioleboy wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Yes, I too cannot wait to hear Cleveland-centric NBA talk on a Chicago sports radio station for a few hours.

I think it's significant news the amount of moves that Cleveland made and there is that connection with Wade/Rose both being moved today. NBA Trade deadline discussion is perfectly reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
emailer amir was on teh radio for 15 minutes at 5pm... apparently to be an NBA expert you need to come off as a total know it all douche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm 

billypootons wrote:
emailer amir was on teh radio for 15 minutes at 5pm... apparently to be an NBA expert you need to come off as a total know it all douche

Have you read the NBA section here?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Uh oh. JLN and DAC getting their wish and Bernstein being fired?

At the 1 hour, 47 minute mark if you're interested. Whatever it was, Shep needed to be there, too.

https://www.facebook.com/670TheScore/vi ... =2&theater

Who knows, could have been a sponsor bitching about the specifics of a read. It didn't exactly look jovial, whatever the topic was.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm 

Can we just dispense with the pretenses and call it for what it is. It is not "out of town" basketball talk that people on here hate. Its any basketball talk. The people that bash B&G for discussing "out of town" basketball dislike basketball for the most part. Whether it is Bulls or Cavs is not really relevant as their dislike is related to the sport and not cities or teams.

The same people that rail on the out of town NBA are the same people that have no problem discussing out of town NFL or out of town College Football. Somehow someway geography goes out the window when it is a sport they like.

It is just like the myth that was "people don't talk hoops because people in that section made them feel uncomfortable". That was a misnomer too. There isn't a section on here that is more technical than the baseball section. I never hear about people being turned off because of it either.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
long time guy wrote:
Can we just dispense with the pretenses and call it for what it is. It is not "out of town" basketball talk that people on here hate. Its any basketball talk. The people that bash B&G dislike basketball for the most part. Whether it is Bulls or Cavs is not really relevant as their dislike is related to the sports and not cities or teams.

The same people that rail on the out of town NBA are the same people that have no problem discussing out of town NFL or out of town College Football. Somehow someway geography goes out the window when it is a sport they like.

Wrong. M&H and moreso S&P talk Bulls all the time and have guests. I listen to them every day. B&G never anymore.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 pm 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Can we just dispense with the pretenses and call it for what it is. It is not "out of town" basketball talk that people on here hate. Its any basketball talk. The people that bash B&G dislike basketball for the most part. Whether it is Bulls or Cavs is not really relevant as their dislike is related to the sports and not cities or teams.

Wrong. M&H and moreso S&P talk Bulls all the time and have guests. I listen to them every day. B&G never anymore.

I follow these threads more than i follow the shows and all i ever read about is how much people hate basketball talk.

If you started a drinking game based upon the number of people that actually like basketball talk you'd never get drunk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:

I like the NBA, not just the Bulls, either. I can even swallow LeBron-heavy talk for awhile without too much of a fuss. But when it gets to the point where a show is spending multiple segments a day marveling at Giannis and having "Appreciate Greatness" on repeat, everything gets to be too much. Somehow, other sports talk shows on the station can discuss national-NFL news without sounding like an NFL station on Sirius, but B&G cannot say the same about their basketball discussions and sounding like a Sirius NBA show.

And yeah, people tolerate more national-scale NFL talk than they do the NBA because the NFL is incredibly more popular than the NBA.

[EDIT: We all know where he's going with this line of reasoning, don't we?]

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I follow these threads more than i follow the shows and all i ever read about is how much people hate basketball talk.

So you're railing against people complaining about basketball talk without actually knowing how deep Dan and Jason dive into their basketball discussions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So you're railing against people complaining about basketball talk without actually knowing how deep Dan and Jason dive into their basketball discussions?

If i thought it was simply about them "diving deep into conversations" then i'd refrain from commenting. The people on here bitched about them discussing basketball during the NBA Finals of all things. The complaints that i've read on here have been related to them discussing basketball at all. Nothing to do with depth in my opinion.

I used to listen to McNeil delve deep into conversations about Football all the time. Didn't seem to bother MANY on here. Why? because they love Football. There is Wall to Wall football during football season. No one ever complains about it either.

It is one of the reasons i stopped listening to sportstalk radio.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:53 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:

If i thought it was simply about them "diving deep into conversations" then i'd refrain from commenting. The people on here bitched about them discussing basketball during the NBA Finals of all things. The complaints that i've read on here have been related to them discussing basketball at all. Nothing to do with depth in my opinion.

They had a guest on to drive discussion about an NBA conference quarter final game. That is not a proper topic for Chicago sports talk radio at the present pervasiveness of deep NBA fandom, even in this city.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

FrankDrebin wrote:
Marc Stein‏Verified account
@TheSteinLine
Follow Follow @TheSteinLine
More
The Timberwolves will try to sign Derrick Rose if he clears waivers after his looming release by Utah, according to league sources

Why do they want him? If he's healthy I guess he can be a scorer off the bench, but don't really see the need unless Minnesota needs an additional scorer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:

They had a guest on to drive discussion about an NBA conference quarter final game. That is not a proper topic for Chicago sports talk radio at the present pervasiveness of deep NBA fandom, even in this city.

Yeah to whatever it was you were attempting to say.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:

The level of deep rooted NBA fandom in this town does not warrant segments-long discussion of the NBA conference quarter finals featuring a team from LA and a team from Salt Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 pm 

long time guy wrote:

The level of deep rooted NBA fandom in this town does not warrant segments-long discussion of the NBA conference quarter finals featuring a team from LA and a team from Salt Lake.

I think you're being pretty presumptuous. Chicago has a lot of Basketball fans. The Bulls sellout whether they are winning or not.

It reminds me of the old McNeil line about how "they aren't Basketball fans they are Michael Jordan fans". Well the Bulls are still selling out the UC 20 years following his retirement.

I honestly don't know how much they talk basketball. I can't imagine that it is as pervasive as people on here suggest.

When I listened it was wall to wall football. I'd listened to the score for the first 15-20 years that it was in existence.

I think it was that shitty ass All Access show with the whispering Zach Zaidman that finally did it.

That and B&B's condescending attempts at making people feel guilty for liking sports.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I think you're being pretty presumptuous. Chicago has a lot of Basketball fans.

B&G just got destroyed in the key demo ratings in the Fall books while talking a LOT of basketball. I didn't presume that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm 

I just looked at their podcasts topics for the past 2 weeks. The only day that they were heavy on the basketball talk was today.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm 

I just looked at their podcasts topics for the past 2 weeks. The only day that they were heavy on the basketball talk was today.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 pm 

long time guy wrote:

You said multiple times that you don't know how much basketball they talk, but now you do because of podcast descriptions? :lol:

They talk a lot of basketball, too much for this market, just accept it. Not even BRick would defend them this way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 pm 

long time guy wrote:

You said multiple times that you don't know how much basketball they talk, but now you do because of podcast descriptions? :lol:

They talk a lot of basketball, too much for this market, just accept it. Not even BRick would defend them this way.

Just looked at Waddell and Silvy's podcast topics for the same period and it appears that they they actually talked more basketball than B&G (for the same period)

Basketball talk isn't the reason for a decline in the ratings. I think that it was the apathethic way in which they approached sports. It started with Boers and it carried over.

Waddle and Silvy do straight sports shows. So do Mully and Hanley. Some people think that those shows are vanilla and boring. Most people may want that. Straight sports no chaser.

I think the score miscalculated years ago. The sophomoric antics turned a number of people off after awhile and they never were able to recover from it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Just looked at Waddell and Silvy's podcast topics for the same period and it appears that they they actually talked more basketball than B&G (for the same period)

Basketball talk isn't the reason for a decline in the ratings. I think that it was the apathethic way in which they approached sports. It started with Boers and it carried over.

Waddle and Silvy do straight sports shows. So do Mully and Hanley. Some people think that those shows are vanilla and boring. Most people may want that. Straight sports no chaser.

I think the score miscalculated years ago. The sophomoric antics turned a number of people off after awhile and they never were able to recover from it.

Of course they're not losing listeners solely due to national NBA talk, that's like saying ESPN is losing viewers only because of their liberal bias. B&G are losing to the competition for a multitude of reasons, but undeniably one of those reasons is the amount of NBA minutae discussed.

This criticism isn't coming from only the board, it's gotten so loud that the hosts felt the need to address it just a few days ago. Their most prized demo in the market doesn't like hearing about Giannis or a breakout Pacers player. This show talks too much national basketball, SEO driven podcast descriptions are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Of course they're not losing listeners solely due to national NBA talk, that's like saying ESPN is losing viewers only because of their liberal bias. B&G are losing to the competition for a multitude of reasons, but undeniably one of those reasons is the amount of NBA minutae discussed.

This criticism isn't coming from only the board, it's gotten so loud that the hosts felt the need to address it just a few days ago. Their most prized demo in the market doesn't like hearing about Giannis or a breakout Pacers player. This show talks too much national basketball, SEO driven podcast descriptions are irrelevant.

Waddle and Silvy talk basketball too. When Boers was still hosting they were talking considerably less basketball and they were still losing listeners.

You are speculating that it is because of basketball. I think that there are other factors. Their adversarial relationship with callers has more to do with their decline than anytbing.

Again Waddle and Silvy talk basketball too and have the type of guests that delve into deep conversations. Their ratings are higher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
basketball talk might not be the reason for decline audience, but if the continue to only talk about Lebron and Cleveland I bet there would be a decline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Waddle and Silvy talk basketball too. When Boers was still hosting they were talking considerably less basketball and they were still losing listeners.

You are speculating that it is because of basketball. I think that there are other factors. Their adversarial relationship with callers has more to do with their decline than anytbing.

Again Waddle and Silvy talk basketball too and have the type of guests that delve into deep conversations. Their ratings are higher.

I literally, literally, just said "of course they're not losing listeners solely due to national NBA talk". Like, literally. You even quoted the post where I said it.

Is this like that thing where you can't think that the brazen liberalism of ESPN's talent is hurting its ratings without people accusing you of saying that's the only reason they're suffering in the ratings?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next