It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I disagree with Mully and Hanley who this morning said there was no scale or level of racism ("it's either right or wrong"). If calling him the N word would be a 10, I'd put this around a 3. It's wrong, but it's kind of like all the MeToo stuff being equated with aggravated rape.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I disagree with Mully and Hanley who this morning said there was no scale or level of racism ("it's either right or wrong"). If calling him the N word would be a 10, I'd put this around a 3. It's wrong, but it's kind of like all the MeToo stuff being equated with aggravated rape.

I follow you but there are only a couple guys here on the board whose opinion is important to me on this.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I know that I am the youngest black guy posting here and I'm probably still a little wet behind the ears but that "basketball" chant isn't racist to me. Immature? Yes. Ignorant? Yes. Racist? No. Neither was the comment by Bernstein.

It still amazes me how quickly MANY people are willing to call someone they dislike racist or a bigot but cry when someone suggests that are (Or their favorite politician) for saying something similar or worse. It shouldn't but that kind of hypocrisy and lack of awareness still amazes me.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
The most egregious thing here is that two upper-middle-class journalists (who have said more offensive things in public) want these four men to lose their livelihoods--and are using their own livelihoods to try to make this happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
tommy wrote:
The most egregious thing here is that two upper-middle-class journalists (who have said more offensive things in public) want these four men to lose their livelihoods--and are using their own livelihoods to try to make this happen.

I do find that troubling. It is not the first time Bernsie has done this either. I wonder if he really thinks this through and wants it to happen or he just wants to appear a SJW?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:24 am 
100000 CLUB

tommy wrote:

He's playing to his Twitter followers and it feels forced. Save the outrage for something truly offensive. I’m offended by the pandering.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
tommy wrote:

He's playing to his Twitter followers and it feels forced. Save the outrage for something truly offensive. I’m offended by the pandering.

Twitter is driving a lot of the political conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
tommy wrote:

Twitter is driving a lot of the political conversation.

Twitter is terrible. The nation would be better off without it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am 

pittmike wrote:
tommy wrote:

I do find that troubling. It is not the first time Bernsie has done this either. I wonder if he really thinks this through and wants it to happen or he just wants to appear a SJW?

Both he and Rosenbloom have said worse over the years....neither apparently have someone they respect reminding them that they are not always right and that there are viable alternative ways to interpret problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
tommy wrote:

Indeed.

I had to turn off Parkins yesterday when he was discussing this topic and, I guess in order to validate his criticism of the four fans and to bolster the validity of his opinion that they should be banned from all Chicago sporting events for life, listed all of his black friends. I believe there were three.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
I know that I am the youngest black guy posting here and I'm probably still a little wet behind the ears but that "basketball" chant isn't racist to me.

So why do you think they were chanting "basketball" as opposed to "curling" or "ringsteken"?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 am 

tommy wrote:

Don't act like that in public if your job would fire you for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:

I think his point is, how can these radio guys who say worse all the time advocate doxxing and firing those people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
I know that I am the youngest black guy posting here and I'm probably still a little wet behind the ears but that "basketball" chant isn't racist to me.

So why do you think they were chanting "basketball" as opposed to "curling" or "ringsteken"?

Because he was black. Being immature and ignorant isn't the same as being racist. If you saw me play golf you would probably tell me to stick to baseball. I would laugh and think nothing of it. There is more than enough racism in this country that I don't need to feign outrage over something sophomoric.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:

I think his point is, how can these radio guys who say worse all the time advocate doxxing and firing those people.

For the same reason we can post here on the clock and others would get fired for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:

For the same reason we can post here on the clock and others would get fired for it.

:lol: You mean simply because they can? Okay. But I will say the level of hypocrisy isn't quite the same. We only occasionally criticize others for fucking around during work hours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think this is closer to the Fuzzy Zoeller and Sergio Garcia comments regarding Tiger and fried chicken, which they claim were jokes gone awry. I have a feeling these fans thought the "basketball" comment was funny or clever.

I can't remember if Michael Jordan endured any similar taunts as he struggled playing baseball...with the obvious difference being he was actually known for playing basketball (which would obscure--but not eliminate--the racial angle).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I don't think the banning means much. Shortly the Hawks games at the UC will be like in the early 2000s...200-300 people there at best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think this is closer to the Fuzzy Zoeller and Sergio Garcia comments regarding Tiger and fried chicken, which they claim were jokes gone awry. I have a feeling these fans thought the "basketball" comment was funny or clever.

I can't remember if Michael Jordan endured any similar taunts as he struggled playing baseball...with the obvious difference being he was actually known for playing basketball (which would obscure--but not eliminate--the racial angle).

Yeah, I don't think it's something that should end a person's career. Or even their ability to attend a game. It's just fucking ignorant. There are a lot of ignoramuses out there. If we take all their jobs away the economy would collapse.

I have no problem with them being ridiculed though. They deserve it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
I don't think the banning means much. Shortly the Hawks games at the UC will be like in the early 2000s...200-300 people there at best.

It was 2000-3000 Bob.

With announced crowds of 11500 "season reservation holders."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It was 2000-3000 Bob.

With announced crowds of 11500 "season reservation holders."

Pretty soon you will get free hawks tickets for signing up with Comcast, just like the White Sox.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:

Ah, the BRick-bot.

First of all, any employer when under public pressure might fire you for this. They're building artificial pressure.

Second of all, if insulting people is a fireable offense, especially in a world where the Internet never lets you forget, then we're all screwed. Welcome, mein informers!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 pm 

tommy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:

Ah, the BRick-bot.

First of all, any employer when under public pressure might fire you for this. They're building artificial pressure.

Second of all, if insulting people is a fireable offense, especially in a world where the Internet never lets you forget, then we're all screwed. Welcome, mein informers!!

Well don't get banned from a pro stadium then. It's pretty easy to avoid that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
theyre running off the precedent that others have been named before for doing less - like Bartman.

...hey fuckos, Bartman got his name released because the media fucked up royally and decided to do it. and here we are 15 years later with ongoing threads about whether or not anyone owes anyone an apology vs. leave the fucking guy alone.

you don't dox people. they were banned.

/end.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
tommy wrote:

Ah, the BRick-bot.

Well don't get banned from a pro stadium then. It's pretty easy to avoid that.

It's like your arguments intentionally get worse every day. The bot is set to trollin'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 am 

This really is an overblown story imo. I've heard worse at every Chicago sporting venue. At the same time sharing a great time with some very nice people.

Frankly the best and worst I heard was at Soldier Field, but the most questions I got was at the UC for a Hawks game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
What do you mean questions?

I've never heard anybody say anything along these lines but I don't go to a ton of games. Of course I'm usually in the steerage section with regular people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. I"ve heard worse from fans at games.

But this was on TV and he was talking directly to the player. And the player responded. So the Hawks had to respond because of the optics. When you have writers and B&G talking about it on the radio, you have to treat these "Racist 4" like terrorist. Which is what they did.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 am 

Spaulding wrote:
What do you mean questions?

I've never heard anybody say anything along these lines but I don't go to a ton of games. Of course I'm usually in the steerage section with regular people.

Sitting in 100 level seats and getting questioned about whose tickets I had (or didn't).

Or in the old days with 300 level tix and being asked if we were really hockey fans thru the first period.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:55 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Wow. That doesn't occur to me.

Were you a hockey fan?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next