It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am 

OK

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am 

I think a high percentage of players from 50 years ago could play today if they had access to the food, training and PEDS players now have.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
conns7901 wrote:
I think a high percentage of players from 50 years ago could play today if they had access to the food, training and PEDS players now have.

Yeah a lot of people miss that point.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
conns7901 wrote:

and maybe stopped smoking

and didn't have to work real jobs in the off-season

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
conns7901 wrote:

Of course they could. Typical Bernstein idiocy.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
JORR often makes this point, and it is correct... it is ridiculous to think that athletes have “evolved” in a matter of decades. The talent pool is larger now, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am 

conns7901 wrote:

Butkus could play simply as he was. His size definitely plays today. I remember when Dan made the argument a few years ago and I looked up Butkus 40 time. There was no combine back then but I seem to remember his reported time was within the top end of LB drafted that year.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
JORR often makes this point, and it is correct... it is ridiculous to think that athletes have “evolved” in a matter of decades. The talent pool is larger now, though.

True, but there are more teams now too. Also, there are more options. Today's Babe Ruth might be riding a snowboard in the X-Games. One hundred years ago all he had was baseball or boxing.

Anyway, it's funny that Bernstein called Butkus "slow, tiny, and white." He was bigger and faster than Ray Lewis. I guess one out of three ain't bad though.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

True, but there are more teams now too. Also, there are more options. Today's Babe Ruth might be riding a snowboard in the X-Games. One hundred years ago all he had was baseball or boxing.

Anyway, it's funny that Bernstein called Butkus "slow, tiny, and white." He was bigger and faster than Ray Lewis. I guess one out of three ain't bad though.

Your overall points are all fine other than how do you objectively know Butkus was faster than Ray Lewis?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Your overall points are all fine other than how do you objectively know Butkus was faster than Ray Lewis?

Their 40 times. Also, there are guys that scouted them both. In any case, the point isn't that Butkus could or couldn't beat Lewis (or any top linebacker of today) in a race, but rather that it's obvious he wouldn't be in any way overmatched in today's game and would clearly still be a star.

The problem when guys like Steve Kerr say they couldn't play today is that that clearly calls into question how good guys like Hakeem, Jordan, and Barkley were. So the person that believes the game is so much superior today has to then twist himself in knots to support his belief that Jordan is the greatest of all time.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
This type of shit used to be Kung Fu master trolling but time.has aged it horribly. Take some Spartan hoplite from 2500 years ago ,feed him a bunch of steroids, put him in pads, explain his basic job and people will literally be dying on the field.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

To be fair though Butkus never had the killer instinct Ray Lewis does

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Forget that many athletes of today are broken-on-arrival and it's considered remarkable if a player doesn't miss entire seasons to injury at some point in their career.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: John's
good dolphin wrote:

OK

Is that the new safety the Bears drafted?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Their 40 times. Also, there are guys that scouted them both. In any case, the point isn't that Butkus could or couldn't beat Lewis (or any top linebacker of today) in a race, but rather that it's obvious he wouldn't be in any way overmatched in today's game and would clearly still be a star.

The problem when guys like Steve Kerr say they couldn't play today is that that clearly calls into question how good guys like Hakeem, Jordan, and Barkley were. So the person that believes the game is so much superior today has to then twist himself in knots to support his belief that Jordan is the greatest of all time.

The problem with this point is that you’re unlikely to find someone who says Kerr couldn’t play today AND Jordan is the best ever. If you don’t think Kerr could play today you likely believe LeBron is the GOAT

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Basketball is a tough one for me. I don’t think the athletes are better today... one of the league’s best players is James Harden, for example. But the style is so different that it’s really hard to tell if talent would transfer well to other eras. I don’t know if true big men would completely dominate or be a complete hindrance. I also don’t know why Kerr would say that... he would be great for this era.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Basketball is a tough one for me. I don’t think the athletes are better today... one of the league’s best players is James Harden, for example. But the style is so different that it’s really hard to tell if talent would transfer well to other eras. I don’t know if true big men would completely dominate or be a complete hindrance. I also don’t know why Kerr would say that... he would be great for this era.

I agree with that. The style of the game matters. For football as well. There are guys today that wouldn't thrive in the 50s and guys in the 50s that wouldn't thrive today. I suppose it's fair for Kerr to say his game wouldn't work today, but Jordan and Barkley could play in any era. I don't really think that's the case, but it's not illogical.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
he's just blowing smoke up his players behinds like he always does.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
There is no record of any Butkus 40 time.

The only thing close is an espn article where one of Dick's teammates said it would take Butkus 3 days to run a 100 yard dash. Same article said he was really quick inside 20 yards tho.

He'd be ok. Nothing great.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am 

America wrote:
This type of shit used to be Kung Fu master trolling but time.has aged it horribly. Take some Spartan hoplite from 2500 years ago ,feed him a bunch of steroids, put him in pads, explain his basic job and people will literally be dying on the field.

As he nails his comrade hoplite

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

Kerr would be pretty damn good on the team he coaches

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:55 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
There is no record of any Butkus 40 time.

The only thing close is an espn article where one of Dick's teammates said it would take Butkus 3 days to run a 100 yard dash. Same article said he was really quick inside 20 yards tho.

He'd be ok. Nothing great.

If he wasn't fast enough, he may have moved to another sport or perhaps gone straight into acting.

(That post had a DannyB vibe to it.)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The Bulls all-time team consists mostly of guys from 30/40 years ago.

PG Sloan
SG Jordan
SF Pippen
PF Love
C Gilmore

bench: DRose,Chet Walker,Toni Kukoc & Tom Boerwinkle

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

OK

Is that the new safety the Bears drafted?

Everyone is throwing bouquets right now. I have my concerns about his size

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
badrogue17 wrote:
To be fair though Butkus never had the killer instinct Ray Lewis does

Chuck Hughes wrote:
O RLY?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: V & N
It is typical Bernstein nonsense.

Butkus is one of the few that could have played in any era.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
thewatcher wrote:
It is typical Bernstein trolling.

FTFY.

He had abandoned this more subtle form of trolling in favor of "I mean, let's be honest, there's a reason so many in this town love Dick Butkus but hate Lance Briggs, who is manifestly the superior talent in every empirical category."

The re-emergence of this kind of trolling from Dan is a more subtle tell that he's walking back his "evolved" persona on-air after the utter failure of Bernstein & Goff.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
thewatcher wrote:

FTFY.

He had abandoned this more subtle form of trolling in favor of "I mean, let's be honest, there's a reason so many in this town love Dick Butkus but hate Lance Briggs, who is manifestly the superior talent in every empirical category."

The re-emergence of this kind of trolling from Dan is a more subtle tell that he's walking back his "evolved" persona on-air after the utter failure of Bernstein & Goff.

Who hates Lance Briggs anyway?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
thewatcher wrote:

FTFY.

The Jews.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

His Lamborghini.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.