It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jason Bernstein 30 years from now wrote:
If LeBron James played today, he’d be just a guy

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
My understanding is guys can have a great '40' time, but not be particularly quick on the field. LB in particular does not often emphasize straight-ahead speed unless they blew a coverage or something.

Clearly Butkus is way better than Bernstein's statement indicates (which he also says to get people all riled up and talking about Dan in some form or fashion, 'negative' or otherwise), but as to him being 'faster' because his '40' time was terrific is a bit sketchy. He could be, but not because his '40' time was that good.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Who hates Lance Briggs anyway?

His Lamborghini.

Rekd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Who hates Lance Briggs anyway?
Child Custody attorneys

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Dan really likes to say "granular level."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
There have always been tall guys that could shoot. They would get crushed in the paint though. That wasn't the style of NBA play in days gone by...pre 3-point line. With all the AAU teams these days, kids have the opportunity to grow their skills at younger and younger ages.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Dan really likes to say "granular level."

It sounds just enough like a science term to make him seem smarter, but isn't actually a science term he can be called out on for misusing (as he has done in the past).

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Don Tiny wrote:
My understanding is guys can have a great '40' time, but not be particularly quick on the field. LB in particular does not often emphasize straight-ahead speed unless they blew a coverage or something.

Clearly Butkus is way better than Bernstein's statement indicates (which he also says to get people all riled up and talking about Dan in some form or fashion, 'negative' or otherwise), but as to him being 'faster' because his '40' time was terrific is a bit sketchy. He could be, but not because his '40' time was that good.

I know I read in a book that his 40 was 4.4 or 4.5 but who knows? It's not some official record. The thing is, nobody argues that Butkus was anything but lightning fast for a man of his size. And his tackles and interceptions support that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i remember when Butkus was doing informercials for some portable grill that ran off newspapers burning
he definitely couldn't BBQ in this era

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm 

Could Ray Lewis play a lovable soda jerk on "My Two Dads"?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
i remember when Butkus was doing informercials for some portable grill that ran off newspapers burning

George Foreman could grill in any era!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:

George Foreman could grill in any era!

Prestigious moves, we killin 'em, hoes we drillin 'em
We like George Foreman out in the streets, we grillin 'em

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Could Ray Lewis play a lovable soda jerk on "My Two Dads"?

No way Ray Lewis could have carried the 60s Illini or Hamburger: The Motion Picture

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Bernstein is a major league asshole. I have watched a lot of football over the years just like a lot of you. I can honestly say the highlights of a Butkus tackle is more ferocious than just about anything I have ever seen on a football field except that time Mike Hartenstine hit Ray Jaworski or the Wilbur Marshall hit on Joe Theismann.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
there are more 6' and under players in the nba today than there were in steve kerrs day. he'd be fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
jimmypasta wrote:
Bernstein is a major league asshole. I have watched a lot of football over the years just like a lot of you. I can honestly say the highlights of a Butkus tackle is more ferocious than just about anything I have ever seen on a football field except that time Mike Hartenstine hit Ray Jaworski or the Wilbur Marshall hit on Joe Theismann.

Remember when Marshall basically slap-punched Eric Hipple (?) and was fined, even though there wasn't a penalty flag?

Christ, I wish the Bears had kept him.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
tommy wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Remember when Marshall basically slap-punched Eric Hipple (?) and was fined, even though there wasn't a penalty flag?

Was Hipple the guy he sent about 10 yards off his ass? I seem to remember Theismann getting blasted,but maybe it was Hipple.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
JORR often makes this point, and it is correct... it is ridiculous to think that athletes have “evolved” in a matter of decades. The talent pool is larger now, though.

True, but there are more teams now too. Also, there are more options. Today's Babe Ruth might be riding a snowboard in the X-Games. One hundred years ago all he had was baseball or boxing.

Anyway, it's funny that Bernstein called Butkus "slow, tiny, and white." He was bigger and faster than Ray Lewis. I guess one out of three ain't bad though.

Butkus was 6'3 245; how the hell is that tiny?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
There is no record of any Butkus 40 time.

The only thing close is an espn article where one of Dick's teammates said it would take Butkus 3 days to run a 100 yard dash. Same article said he was really quick inside 20 yards tho.

He'd be ok. Nothing great.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/chicag ... linebacker

For all of his ferocity, Butkus was both smarter and a better athlete than some give him credit for. Teammate Ed O'Bradovich once said that it took Butkus "three days to run a 100-yard dash," but for 20 yards in any direction, "nobody was quicker than he was."

That quickness, when he had healthy knees, helped the grunting and growling middle linebacker to 21 interceptions in nine seasons.

"I remember when we used to run the 40-yard dash," said Buffone, who led all Bears linebackers with 24 picks in 15 seasons. "Dick and I would try to hide because we didn't want to do it. But there are different speeds. There's 40-speed and there's the speed when you get on the field, recognition of what's going on and getting there before the other guy and that's what Dick had."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
badrogue17 wrote:
To be fair though Butkus never had the killer instinct Ray Lewis does

Ray Lewis wrote:
“God has done something in my life—and not just for me to see it..."
* Then his eyes flash, and he starts shouting, pointing *
God has done something in my life for ev-ery hat-er, ev-ery enemy...

TLDR = i guess this one is god's fault?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:19 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

40 times are overrated; Emmitt Smith & Jerry Rice did not have great 40 times, but Rice especially had great football pad speed

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
tommy wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Was Hipple the guy he sent about 10 yards off his ass? I seem to remember Theismann getting blasted,but maybe it was Hipple.

Marshall knocked out Hipple and Joe Ferguson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 pm 

Butkus absolutely could play today and do very well. But there is no way his 40 time was faster than Ray Lewis.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Butkus absolutely could play today and do very well. But there is no way his 40 time was faster than Ray Lewis.

Butkus was freakishly fast for a guy his size. Ask jimmypasta or Walt.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I did not see him play, but I have watched a ton of old clips of him. I dont see someone that is faster than Lewis.

So IMO the eye test and the lack of 40 times says to me that Lewis was faster, but that is in no way a shot at Butkus because again he could do very well in todays game

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:21 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
tommy wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Marshall knocked out Hipple and Joe Ferguson

"They runnin outta quarterbacks" was the most common line heard that year. I think they killed Danny White and the Dallas qb room that year as well

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm 

Which reminds me of cheering for Phipps and Avellini getting killed so Walter could run the team prior to '82. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I did not see him play, but I have watched a ton of old clips of him. I dont see someone that is faster than Lewis.

So IMO the eye test and the lack of 40 times says to me that Lewis was faster, but that is in no way a shot at Butkus because again he could do very well in todays game

I wouldn't judge off old film clips. Babe Ruth was fast as fuck too. Believe me, he didn't run like he was tiptoeing on eggshells the way it appears on those old degrading films. Although most films of Ruth are from the end of his career when he was fat. There are no films of him at 22 years old patrolling the outfield like a gazelle.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 pm 

And Senor's comments are ridiculous, as usual.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I wouldn't judge off old film clips. Babe Ruth was fast as fuck too. Believe me, he didn't run like he was tiptoeing on eggshells the way it appears on those old degrading films. Although most films of Ruth are from the end of his career when he was fat. There are no films of him at 22 years old patrolling the outfield like a gazelle.

Jesus Christ JoRR. How old ore you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next