It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Danny's
I heard Bernstein say this yesterday when I decided to give him a 30 second hate listen. He did not disappoint. This was his question regarding why the national anthem is played before sporting events. As we all know he deems it a waste of time and pointless.
The caller he was arguing with gave him the simple answer of it's called patriotism but that was definitely not good enough for him. I would argue that having a large group of people all recognize the fact we live in the most free/greatest country in the world as well as the sacrifices of men & women in the armed forces who have protected it is not a waste of time. It is a reminder. I realize half the country no longer believes it or doesn't want to. Those people don't have to participate & that's their choice.
As far as why isn't played before movies, I don't have an answer but I'm not going to rack my brain. I like it before a sporting event especially at a Hawks or Cubs game. If it's never moved you that's sad IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am 

Because they previews before movies...duhhhh.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Oh my goodness, this story he is reading is just dumb.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
denisdman wrote:
He is reading a story that he wrote himself?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:
He is reading a story that he wrote himself?

No it was a Mike Royko story from 1986. Here's the rub, we have customs. If we met, and I extended my hand for a handshake, and you ignored me, well that would break custom. If I extended my hand and you shook it for too long, that would break custom. So the story is just dumb, although it being written by Royko means it was in jest. Dan is using it as fact to make a point about the arbitrary nature of standing for the anthem.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Bernstein is an idiot. He contradicts himself. He has been against meatball football fans, but when a Veteran called in yesterday and said he didn't care about the anthem and just wanted to see more hitting and people getting hurt, Danny jumped on that and praised it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
McKnight was just talking about a baseball player who tore his hamstring in his first MLB game. As part of his recovery process he said "He rebuilt his body..." and Bernstein interrupted with "Is he 6'8" and black? As long as he's rebuilding..."

For a guy who likes to read between the lines of what other people say to call them racist it's this kind of thing, along with "LOOK. AT. HIS. BODY." and wondering aloud what would happen if he bred his son with Brittney Griner, that really makes him sound like Jimmy The Greek who I'm sure he would call racist.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
And why do we have to say the Pledge of Allegiance before our damn Little League games.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
And why do we have to say the Pledge of Allegiance before our damn Little League games.

Those damn little leaguers are being brainwashed into respecting their country that’s why!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
That's the real answer though. Stop playing the anthem at sporting events.

They play the anthem at the racetrack. Thirty years ago I never thought anything of it. It was like a ballgame. They played the anthem at 8:00 and the races started at 8:15.

But know there is simulcasting and most people aren't just betting the locsl product. Every track has an anthem and the all play at various times. When I'm betting $1000 at Belmont and the anthem at Sun Ray Park comes on, am I supposed to stop and honor the flag? Should I miss my bet to do so?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
your avatar is off-putting

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I enjoyed Bernstein's take on it, however I don't want to stop playing the anthem before games. I view it as the calm before the storm. Almost a mindfulness meditation activity before all hell breaks loose. As a hockey fan, I enjoy the optics of 10 players standing on the ice for the anthem(s) before the faceoff.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
billypootons wrote:

Who are you crappin'? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They anthem before games started as a way to drum up nationalism before World War 1. First time was at the Old Comiskey I believe. I would be fine with stopping the anthem, but it's become big business now. They get name acts for it now as a way to help draw in the casual fan during the big events. When people start to get paid turning the spigot off is the toughest thing to do in this country.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
They anthem before games started as a way to drum up nationalism before World War 1. First time was at the Old Comiskey I believe. I would be fine with stopping the anthem, but it's become big business now. They get name acts for it now as a way to help draw in the casual fan during the big events. When people start to get paid turning the spigot off is the toughest thing to do in this country.

there is a segment that tunes into a sporting event bc a celebrity is singing the anthem ?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The only guy I watch doing the anthem is John Vincent at Wrigley...probably to see if he's going to have a coronary mid-song.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bagels wrote:

there is a segment that tunes into a sporting event bc a celebrity is singing the anthem ?

You don't think that when a celebrity sings the anthem at an All-Star game or playoff game that it's not promoted as a way to draw in casual fans?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Bagels wrote:

You don't think that when a celebrity sings the anthem at an All-Star game or playoff game that it's not promoted as a way to draw in casual fans?

It might be promoted that way, but does it?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
I think the anthem is nice before sporting events. To me, it's used as a reminder to all in attendance and playing the game that we are all united under one flag, regardless for our hatred for one another in competition that is about to ensue. It should give people perspective. Instead, it just gives people a punchline.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:34 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
I think the anthem is nice before sporting events. To me, it's used as a reminder to all in attendance and playing the game that we are all united under one flag, regardless for our hatred for one another in competition that is about to ensue. It should give people perspective. Instead, it just gives people a punchline.

I agree. Regardless of all the bullshit between us we still have it pretty damn good. After 9-11 I remember there being a feeling, albeit for a short time and I know I may be wrong here, that we all were pulling together because if not the whole shithouse may go up in flames. When the NFL played that first game afterwards and the anthem was played it was awesome. Now it is just a puchline to some asshats.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
The anthem before the game can be quite powerful. Consider the 1991 NHL all star game for example. There are others but bernstein's dismissal as nationalism being a root cause is questionable. I do love this country while acknowledging its flaws but my appreciation of the anthem prior to games is more of a sense of tradition and unity throughout these difficulties rather nationalism or jingoism.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 am 

Darkside wrote:
The anthem before the game can be quite powerful. Consider the 1991 NHL all star game for example. There are others but bernstein's dismissal as nationalism being a root cause is questionable. I do love this country while acknowledging its flaws but my appreciation of the anthem prior to games is more of a sense of tradition and unity throughout these difficulties rather nationalism or jingoism.

I get what you're saying. I'm not down with the jingoism aspect at all either. I'm not driving around in a lifted 4x4 truck with old glory flapping in the wind either. I'm a little bit nationalistic in the sense that I do appreciate how good this country is while knowing there's some bad too this country too. The good outweighs the bad by far. Alot people don't feel that anymore but they aren't changing my mind. Bernstein has had better than most of us his whole damn life and that's what pisses me off about the bastard.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 am 

My favorite version of the anthem might be when Marvin Gaye did at the NBA All-Star game in 1983.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 am 

billypootons wrote:

By-Crackie!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:19 am 

billypootons wrote:

Deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Ninguno
Bernstein is completely correct. I'd bet a lot of money he gave this example based on what's been happening in India.

India's Supreme Court recently ruled on an Indian statute where not only did everyone have to listen to the national anthem before the movie started, but they had to STAND for it.

this ruling was challenged. it has been changed. they're still trying to figure out what to do with it.

so Amerikka is not the only place dealing with this nonsense.

national anthems were instituted during WW2, so they broke "tradition"

Considering the millions of dollars that the NFL took from the Dept of Defense for their over the top militaristic "patriotism" and the bile spewing over the top manifestations of/for "our heroes" since 9/11, it should really be the last league to get involved in this.

but its fan base skews NASCAR... so..

btw will the fat stupid fans stop eating or playing with their phones during the anthem?
will sales in concessions stands cease? and if not, why not??

when will this stupidity end?? (probably never)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Ninguno

i believe they started during WW2