It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Friday Bernstein again shit hammered Lou Brock in his unworthines to be in the hall of fame. He hangs his hat on Brock's jaws bad rating. He apparently never saw Lou Brock play. Even vanilla Les went off how idiotic this statement is past times Bernstein said it. This is the same piece of shit with Terry that mocked special needs callers and Ron Santos health miseries. He claims Brock was a horrendous defensive player in his appraisal through sabermetrics. Everything I've read is defensive saber metrics is highly flawed.

I saw Lou Brock play. He was a dominant all round player with his offense, defense, and base stealing. His Hof worthiness is beyond question with his stats and recall by people who watched him.. Bernstein's baseball resume includes end of the bench designated glove repairer on Dukes baseball team.

Bernstein went on to say the Brock-sore arm over the hill brolio trade wasn't a bad trade! One of the worst trades in baseball history. Parkins stupid Happ is better defensively than almora statement is nothing compared to this attack on Lou Brock. Bernstein is just another replaceable guy without Terry. I was full of joy when Goff got axed and hope to replacate that feeling when Bernstein gets the boot moving on to a nice pay cut.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:12 pm 

A lot of people think Brock is not really worthy of the HOF.

Of the things to be irritated with Bernsie about this is pretty far down the line.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
You’re better off ignoring almost everything Lil Danny says about most sports but baseball in particular .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:37 pm 

RFDC wrote:
A lot of people think Brock is not really worthy of the HOF.

Of the things to be irritated with Bernsie about this is pretty far down the line.

A lot of people? Yeah saber metrics geeks who never saw him play. Not people who saw him play or his peers who played with and against him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:42 pm 

Plenty of articles out there for you to see that there are many who do not think he was a HOF.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The Brock Trade....The Brock Trade. As a Cub fan,I'm so sick of hearing about the "worst trade of all time".

Hey,how about that trade that brought Fergie Jenkins to the Cubs!

Hey,how about that trade that brought Ryne Sandberg to the Cubs!

Hey,how about that trade that brought Sammy Sosa to the Cubs!

Every team has a history of both types of trades.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
He is a marginal case. Gets in because he played in a deflated offensive era where SB was more valuable than today.

But it is tough for me to say that he was a better player than Dwight Evans. Equal, probably. Better, probably not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Guy held the stolen bases record for 30 years.

He's more of a HOF than Santo is.

He should be in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:05 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
You’re better off ignoring almost everything Lil Danny says about most sports but baseball in particular .

^^^ This

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
HawaiiYou wrote:

He should be in.

Yeah. When you are the stolen base king that long how do you not put him in? Bernsie is just trolling because stolen bases no longer mean anything for some reason. Except of course the special Puerto Rican stealing home.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:13 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I totally missed that early this year, Kevin Pillar stole his way around the bases against the Yankees. First time in the AL since 1996 but a little more common in the NL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:

He should be in.

Held both single and career-season records for about 10 years apiece.

Batted .391 in almost 100 AB in 3 World Series, winning 2 titles.

Holds NL career steals record.

3,000+ hits, 150 HR, 900rbi, .290 BA over 19 seasons.

6x All-Star

8x NL stolen base champ

Screw the average defensive stats; if we are putting DHs in the HOF now, then why does a lack of outstanding defense matter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:44 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

He should be in.

Compared to other 3rd basemen Ron Santo is Hof.Compared to all positions maybe not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:08 pm 

A goof like Bernstein couldn't appreciate the value and fear of guys like Brett Butler who could often bunt their way on, pick up a steal or two and keep the pressure on pitchers and opposing dugouts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Vince Coleman was a awesome player too. Too bad he's forgotten about these days. But back in the 80s he was like the 80s version of Lou Brock in the NL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

He should be in.

6x All-Star

8x NL stolen base champ

Screw the average defensive stats; if we are putting DHs in the HOF now, then why does a lack of outstanding defense matter?
Yeah he’s that borderline 3,000 hit guy :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I remember watching a 90’s Sox game against Cleveland in the park with my guy Pluto. Man if Lofton got to first he would be on third soon enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
badrogue17 wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

He should be in.

6x All-Star

8x NL stolen base champ

Yeah he’s that borderline 3,000 hit guy :roll:

3,000 hits is even more impressive since he was never a DH.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Bernstein grew up watching steal-heavy 70's and 80's baseball, for Christ's sake. He's probably trying to troll Cards fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:34 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
vitoscotti wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

He should be in.

Compared to other 3rd basemen Ron Santo is Hof.Compared to all positions maybe not.

Never felt he had a leg to stand on

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This modern view of the game comes down to one thing: the overvaluing of the walk. It's just regurgitating Bill James. But James himself is smart enough to understand how the game actually works. Unfortunately thousands of goofs who have read the Baseball Abstracts are not.

When you boil the game down to its core, a good offensive player is either scoring a run or driving one in. If he isn't doing either of those things I have to question how great he is. Brock lead the league in runs scored at least a couple times and he scored 100 or more probably close to ten times.

This idea that Darrell Porter is retroactively better than Jim Rice or Tony Perez because he walked more is patently absurd. I recently mentioned two specific situations regarding this phenomenon of worshiping the walk. The first was Jose Abreu batting with a full count and a man on second. The pitcher was obviously not looking to deal with Abreu, especially with first open, and he threw one low and away. Abreu went down and got it promptly driving in the run. Stone remarked, "That's what run producers do." Stone's typically snarky comment was a shot across the bow of SABRmetrics which would reward Abreu equally for taking the bad pitch and letting Avi Garcia or some other lesser player do the hard work. Perhaps Dan Bernstein would even insist that Abreu should take that pitch because about two-thirds of the time the batted ball will result in an out.

The other situation I referenced was Joey Votto up in the 11th inning of a tie game with his team at home. One swing could win the game. But Votto is looking to walk. And Joakim Soria is glad to let him and face the next guy. But you're gonna reward Votto and destroy Abreu. It shows a real lack of understanding of how the game is actually played.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 am 

Bernstein and I are almost the same age . Grew up watching most of the same players yet we couldn’t not be further apart on how we look at the game . Sad part is, he convinced an awful lot of people that his show and the way he looks at sports is for the “smart” fan and everyone else are rubes when in reality it’s him and his sycophants that are the morons .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This modern view of the game comes down to one thing: the overvaluing of the walk. It's just regurgitating Bill James. But James himself is smart enough to understand how the game actually works. Unfortunately thousands of goofs who have read the Baseball Abstracts are not.

When you boil the game down to its core, a good offensive player is either scoring a run or driving one in. If he isn't doing either of those things I have to question how great he is. Brock lead the league in runs scored at least a couple times and he scored 100 or more probably close to ten times.

This idea that Darrell Porter is retroactively better than Jim Rice or Tony Perez because he walked more is patently absurd. I recently mentioned two specific situations regarding this phenomenon of worshiping the walk. The first was Jose Abreu batting with a full count and a man on second. The pitcher was obviously not looking to deal with Abreu, especially with first open, and he threw one low and away. Abreu went down and got it promptly driving in the run. Stone remarked, "That's what run producers do." Stone's typically snarky comment was a shot across the bow of SABRmetrics which would reward Abreu equally for taking the bad pitch and letting Avi Garcia or some other lesser player do the hard work. Perhaps Dan Bernstein would even insist that Abreu should take that pitch because about two-thirds of the time the batted ball will result in an out.

The other situation I referenced was Joey Votto up in the 11th inning of a tie game with his team at home. One swing could win the game. But Votto is looking to walk. And Joakim Soria is glad to let him and face the next guy. But you're gonna reward Votto and destroy Abreu. It shows a real lack of understanding of how the game is actually played.

I agree with you that OPS, and by extension WAR, probably overvalue the walk. However, WAR is made up of so many different variables, I don't think you can use the walk/single issue to completely toss out the stat. Therefore, I think the argument that Brock was not a Hall of Fame player based on his WAR is still a reasonable one.

Also, while I'm not saying you used this line of argument in you post, a lot of people tend to use testimonial evidence in justifying the greatness, or lack thereof, of a player. For instance, "I saw Brock play and he was far and away a great player," or "Brock was so much better than [insert name of one of his well regarded contemporaries]."For someone like myself, who never saw Brock play, this is the weakest form of evidence you can use. Unless your Bob Costas, Peter Gammons, or some other keen observer of the game most people are probably not going to take your word for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 am 

I’ll just take the fact that his 3,000 plus career hits and at the time he retired, career stolen base mark as evidence he was a pretty great fucking player despite what idiots like Dan Bernstein think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
badrogue17 wrote:
I’ll just take the fact that his 3,000 plus career hits and at the time he retired, career stolen base mark as evidence he was a pretty great fucking player despite what idiots like Dan Bernstein think.

He was a great player for his time. I think he would struggle today with defensive positioning and slower infield surfaces. He'd still be miles ahead of a Billy Hamilton, but I think he'd be an occasional All-Star and not a HOF-caliber player. It's not like he would be Ichiro.

That DOES NOT mean, however, that he wasn't a HOF player based on the era in which he did actually play. I just think that today's fan doesn't appreciate that game as much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: John's
This isn't a new thought, and there are arguments both ways. BTW, Joe Bad Baseball Thoughts Orr's, Sabre metrics Suck rants are really getting derivative.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the statement is so stupid it doesn't deserve a response.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I agree with you that OPS, and by extension WAR, probably overvalue the walk. However, WAR is made up of so many different variables, I don't think you can use the walk/single issue to completely toss out the stat. Therefore, I think the argument that Brock was not a Hall of Fame player based on his WAR is still a reasonable one.

Also, while I'm not saying you used this line of argument in you post, a lot of people tend to use testimonial evidence in justifying the greatness, or lack thereof, of a player. For instance, "I saw Brock play and he was far and away a great player," or "Brock was so much better than [insert name of one of his well regarded contemporaries]."For someone like myself, who never saw Brock play, this is the weakest form of evidence you can use. Unless your Bob Costas, Peter Gammons, or some other keen observer of the game most people are probably not going to take your word for it.

Brock's relatively low WAR is based mainly upon two things- a lack of walks and poor outfield defense. Regarding the defense, there seems to be a disconnect in the SABRmetric "community". On the one hand, I've read detailed arguments about the lack of significance of defense on the outfield corners. (This was especially true at the height of the "steroid era".) On the other hand, corner outfield defense is often used to make arguments regarding the lack of Hall of Fame credentials of a Brock or a Rice.

In any case, left field is a position where defense isn't a premium attribute. And there can be no denying that Brock was a dynamic offensive player.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
badrogue17 wrote:

That post is called a dose of sanity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
This isn't a new thought, and there are arguments both ways. BTW, Joe Bad Baseball Thoughts Orr's, Sabre metrics Suck rants are really getting derivative.

Well Bob when Sabremetrics tell me a guy with 3k career hits isn’t a HOF’er, they deserve to mocked and ridiculed and dismissed .