It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
FavreFan wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I don't know what dynamic means in this context but the NBA regular season is very entertaining on a nightly basis.

Everybody with good entertainment taste is watching.

The level of play might be high, but all the play you are seeing is irrelevant. You see some creative and athletic play that scores a bucket. Congratulations, there will be another 80 to 100 scoring plays that count just as much as that one. You see an exciting win. Congratulations, regular season wins only matter to the handful of teams that are jockeying for a playoff spot. The good to great teams and the bad to awful teams don't care.

Thats every league out of football.

I know next to nothing about hockey so I'm not going to offer any thoughts on the NHL. However, despite the fact that there's 162 of them, every baseball game is consequential. If you're a good team, you can't just rest on your laurels and expect to win the division and avoid the wild card game. Look at the Cubs this year. Also, each individual run is a hell of a lot more consequential than an individual basket just based on the number that are scored per game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Half the NHL is usually down for the count by December 1st, the next four months are just the playoff teams and a bubble team or two jockeying for position.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
yeah, but if that bubble team gets hot going into the playoffs, they can bounce some top seeds on their way into the 2nd and 3rd round

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:53 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
yeah, but if that bubble team gets hot going into the playoffs, they can bounce some top seeds on their way into the 2nd and 3rd round

Or an 8 seed can win the Cup (LA).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
DAC wrote:
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

Or an 8 seed can win the Cup (LA).

Or oust a 1 seed in the first round. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
Somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 this morning, Bernstein made comments to the effect that the NBA was "dynamic" and that "everyone was watching" it. In my humble opinion, the sum total of the NBA's regular season, and the first round of its playoffs, are completely and totally irrelevant, and what's more, everyone involved with the league (from the guy who owns the team, through the players, and down to the guy who locks up the balls after practice) seems to share this belief. Stated another way, regardless of what they do in the regular season, the teams that everybody expects to make deep playoff runs at the beginning of the season, are going to end up making those deep playoff runs.

Does anyone out there consider NBA regular season games to be "dynamic?" Does anyone think that "everyone " is watching regular season NBA games?

Aren't ratings up in the NBA? Obviously, the NBA is top-loaded. The same 5 or 6 teams are going to be shown over and over on TNT/ABC/ESPN all season (Boston, Houston, LAL, GS, OKC....Philadelphia/Toronto to a lesser extent) and the rest of the league is just fighting for draft position and clearing cap space.

It is fun to watch these great teams, but the league as a whole is pretty awful with these super teams.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
50% of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs, but only 10% have a real shot to win the title.

How exactly is the regular season dynamic? In fact, that is the exact opposite of dynamic!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
BD wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 this morning, Bernstein made comments to the effect that the NBA was "dynamic" and that "everyone was watching" it. In my humble opinion, the sum total of the NBA's regular season, and the first round of its playoffs, are completely and totally irrelevant, and what's more, everyone involved with the league (from the guy who owns the team, through the players, and down to the guy who locks up the balls after practice) seems to share this belief. Stated another way, regardless of what they do in the regular season, the teams that everybody expects to make deep playoff runs at the beginning of the season, are going to end up making those deep playoff runs.

Does anyone out there consider NBA regular season games to be "dynamic?" Does anyone think that "everyone " is watching regular season NBA games?

Aren't ratings up in the NBA?

They are. The league has never been more popular.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Although some show yesterday said ratings may be down this year because LeBron’s on the west coast and won’t be on the early national games as much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:23 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
1) Not dynamic
2) Not everyone is watching

Correct....

The Local Bulldogs Ale house is packed for Baseball, packed for football and Blackhawks Hockey games, plenty of room when NBA/Bulls are on.
They usually get 1 o 2 of the 50 TV's by request only.

Also, gotta love the Bulls/NBA, where Kris Dunn takes a "personal day" i.e. excused absence on opening night....good lord... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm 

Sarge wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
1) Not dynamic

Correct....

The Local Bulldogs Ale house is packed for Baseball, packed for football and Blackhawks Hockey games, plenty of room when NBA/Bulls are on.

Also, gotta love the Bulls/NBA, where Kris Dunn takes a "personal day" i.e. excused absence on opening night....good lord... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was the birth of his child, which should be understandable. Tone down the emoji abuse

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:28 pm 

Sarge wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
1) Not dynamic

Correct....

What time do they burn the crosses at Bulldogs?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Sarge wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
1) Not dynamic

Correct....

It was the birth of his child, which should be understandable. Tone down the emoji abuse

:shock: Are we sure he was the father?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
50% of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs, but only 10% have a real shot to win the title.

How exactly is the regular season dynamic? In fact, that is the exact opposite of dynamic!

Exactly. A 50% playoff rate + 10% of the teams having a real shot, does not equal dynamism. Compare those percentages to MLB and the NFL where fewer teams make the playoffs and you really can't say with a high degree of confidence which teams are going to be playing for a title at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
It's less than 10 percent. It's two teams (one, really) out of the whole league.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
It's less than 10 percent. It's two teams (one, really) out of the whole league.

Who's the 2nd team?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:30 am 

Nicklin3011 wrote:
They talk about this every year. Last year it was Goff saying their is nothing better then NBA "BALL" Very few care about NBA basketball it's the worst of the 4 major sports for fan involvement throughout the season.

Yet its the only of the 4 majors where the Athletes and Fans really get to interact during the game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:38 am 

Sarge wrote:

Quote:
Correct....

They usually get 1 o 2 of the 50 TV's by request only./quote]

There is a scientific study if ever I have seen one. And the UC has been sold out for the past 20 (post Jordan) years while the Sox hold a parade if they fill up a third of the stadium.

Hawks are only relevant if they are contenders otherwise no one gives a shit. Cubs and Bears draw interest regardless but that is it other than the Bulls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 am 

It amuses me how upset people get that other people like a sport that they don't like.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:44 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

G.S wasn't the shoo in that everyone believed them to be last year. Houston could have beat them S.A. and a few other teams (Boston if at full strength) or maybe N.O at full strength. There are teams that can challenge them this year two. The NBA's biggest problem is that it has failed to keep its best players healthy come playoff time. Often you're not seeing the best teams play at full strength. G.S. has been relatively healthy the past 4 years and all of its key players have been healthy at playoff time. You can't say that for any other team in the conference save for OKC the year they took them down to the wire. Every other team has had injuries.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:47 am 

FavreFan wrote:
It amuses me how upset people get that other people like a sport that they don't like.

Yep. NBA is the 2nd most popular sport in this country and the most popular American based sport in the world yet "no one likes it". Its a stupid argument. Its probably the fastest growing sport in this country (maybe behind soccer)? yet no one cares.

The "outcome is already decided" thus "I don't watch it crowd" are really the most hypocritical of the group. Frank has been an ardent Sox and Bears Fan for the past 20-25 years and for the past 10 at least both teams have entered the season without a snowball's chance in hell of winning anything yet he hops his happy ass into every Cub thread to troll Cub fans while tormenting Keyser in Sox threads.

What chance of winning did either team have over the past 10 years? did it still prevent you from watching? Nope it didn't. Was your enthusiasm diminished because you knew they couldn't win shit? nope. The Patriots have been the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the past 15 years at least. During that time there have been 7 to 10 different NBA champs (will have to check) yet the outcome is predetermined. Ok.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:03 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yep. NBA is the 2nd most popular sport in this country and the most popular American based sport in the world yet "no one likes it". Its a stupid argument. Its probably the fastest growing sport in this country (maybe behind soccer)? yet no one cares.

The "outcome is already decided" thus "I don't watch it crowd" are really the most hypocritical of the group. Frank has been an ardent Sox and Bears Fan for the past 20-25 years and for the past 10 at least both teams have entered the season without a snowball's chance in hell of winning anything yet he hops his happy ass into every Cub thread to troll Cub fans while tormenting Keyser in Sox threads.

What chance of winning did either team have over the past 10 years? did it still prevent you from watching? Nope it didn't. Was your enthusiasm diminished because you knew they couldn't win shit? nope. The Patriots have been the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the past 15 years at least. During that time there have been 7 to 10 different NBA champs (will have to check) yet the outcome is predetermined. Ok.

Here are the champs for the past 10 seasons:

2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2011 Dallas Mavericks
2012 Miami Heat
2013 Miami Heat
2014 San Antonio Spurs
2015 Golden State Warriors
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers
2017 Golden State Warriors
2018 Golden State Warriors

There's what 30 teams in the NBA? In the last 10 years we've seen 6 six different teams win the title, and of those six, three of them won it more than once. Further, Lebron James has played in the last eight finals. There's nothing about this that seems predictable or preordained to you? You honestly thought with the addition of Kevin Durant the Warriors were going to lose last year? You honestly think we're going to see something other than Warriors v. Celtics this year?

The Warriors, Celtics, and Rockets are moving through the regular season trying to accomplish two things: don't get overtired and don't get hurt. Below them is a whole pile of good but not great teams. They're moving through the regular season fighting to determine the round in which they will lose to either the Warriors or the Celtics. Below them is a pile of shitty teams most of which are not even trying to win. How does any of this make for compelling television?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This is just wrong. If you like the NBA, then just enjoy what it is it. But there is no other sport as top-heavy as the NBA. That's the way it has been for decades. And no one had a chance of beating GS last year outside of Houston.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:15 pm 

:lol:

Last 10 NFL champs:

Eagles
Patriots
Broncos
Patriots
Seahawks
Ravens
Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers

There is one team who has one it more than once, and that wasn't even in consecutive years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:23 pm 

One it? :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:27 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Last 10 NFL champs:

Eagles
Patriots
Broncos
Patriots
Seahawks
Ravens
Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers

There is one team who has one it more than once, and that wasn't even in consecutive years.

Hope you're laughing at yourself because you misconstrued the point. The Patriots have entered every season over the past 15 as the favorite to win. That they haven't is immaterial to the argument.

Sure they haven't but that is primarily due the single elimination aspect of pro football. They along with the Packers and Steelers have been the 3 teams chosen to be at the top of the heap every season over the past 12- 15 years.

During the same frame the NBA has had about 7-8 different champs. Yet everyone knows the winner in advance. ok.

There is more unpredictability in Football. Not arguing that but G.S. might be a generational type of team.

Last edited by long time guy on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:30 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2011 Dallas Mavericks
2012 Miami Heat
2013 Miami Heat
2014 San Antonio Spurs
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers

There's what 30 teams in the NBA? In the last 10 years we've seen 6 six different teams win the title, and of those six, three of them won it more than once. Further, Lebron James has played in the last eight finals. There's nothing about this that seems predictable or preordained to you? You honestly thought with the addition of Kevin Durant the Warriors were going to lose last year? You honestly think we're going to see something other than Warriors v. Celtics this year?

The Warriors, Celtics, and Rockets are moving through the regular season trying to accomplish two things: don't get overtired and don't get hurt. Below them is a whole pile of good but not great teams. They're moving through the regular season fighting to determine the round in which they will lose to either the Warriors or the Celtics. Below them is a pile of shitty teams most of which are not even trying to win. How does any of this make for compelling television?

Still 6 different teams in 10 years even accounting for G.S. dominance. Still doesn't make the "same team each year"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:33 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This is just wrong. If you like the NBA, then just enjoy what it is it. But there is no other sport as top-heavy as the NBA. That's the way it has been for decades. And no one had a chance of beating GS last year outside of Houston.

S.A. With Kawhi gives them a run and so does N.O. with Boogie.

might even have taken them. Most people didn't give Houston a chance either. I can easily bump the thread. G.S. has benefitted greatly from injuries to superstar players.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2011 Dallas Mavericks
2012 Miami Heat
2013 Miami Heat
2014 San Antonio Spurs
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers

Still 6 different teams in 10 years even accounting for G.S. dominance. Still doesn't make the "same team each year"

For the past four years it literally has been the same two teams every year. Before that happened you had the Miami Heat play in four straight finals. Before that happened you had the Lakers winning two straight titles, and the Lakers and Celtics playing each other twice in three years. If that's not repetitive, what is? Further, what other sport has that same level of repetition?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:45 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Last 10 NFL champs:

Eagles
Patriots
Broncos
Patriots
Seahawks
Ravens
Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers

Hope you're laughing at yourself because you misconstrued the point. The Patriots have entered every season over the past 15 as the favorite to win. That they haven't is immaterial to the argument.

Sure they haven't but that is primarily due the single elimination aspect of pro football. They along with the Packers and Steelers have been the 3 teams chosen to be at the top of the heap every season over the past 12- 15 years.

During the same frame the NBA has had about 7-8 different champs. Yet everyone knows the winner in advance. ok.

There is more unpredictability in Football. Not arguing that but G.S. might be a generational type of team.

I misconstrued the point?

First, you are factually incorrect that the Patriots have entered every season as the favorite. Second, your criteria for the NBA is number of champions, and your criteria for the NFL is "favorites at the beginning of the year," and your list of favorites isn't even accurate! Why wouldn't you compare apples to apples? We all know why... because you're using whatever criteria you want for each respective league to suit your argument. How many times in the last 5 years have the Warriors entered the year as the favorite? How many consecutive years have the Cavs entered the year as favorites to win the East?