It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:
Baines was basically Dan’s favorite player growing up,

:lol: :lol: After years of repeating that his "favorite player" was Ivan Calderon. Of course, it's just like I said. Bernstein is a Cub fan and that Ivan Calderon crap is just a thing to slam the Sox by juxtaposing him against the "great" Cub heroes, like the equally undeserving Hall of Famer Andre Dawson. Dan is the guy who loves to bash players for "making too many outs". Since Baines's OBP was about 40 points higher than Dawson's maybe he should be bashing the Cub. But a Cub fan wouldn't do that, now would he?

I've got to a disagree with you on this Bernstein as a closeted Cubs fan theory. I've never heard him wax nostalgic about the Cubs, but I have heard him do so about the Sox on several occasions. Just the other day McKnight was talking about some computer shoe that debuted in 1986, and he asked Bernstein what he remembered about 1986, and Bernstein's first thought was "the White Sox were awful." That's the type of reaction only a fan would have. If someone asks me about my memories of 1995 or 2006, one of the first feelings that would come to mind would be disappointment. His reaction shows that it wasn't something he read about, but something he actually lived.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:
I think the conventional wisdom is that the first human that will live to 150 years old is on the plant somewhere right now.

Yeah, I've read that too. But would you really want to live to be 150? I doubt you'd be too spry. I guess it wouldn't be awful if you weren't in a lot of pain. But I'm 55 and I can already see a lot of things I like are becoming relics. What about when all the stuff you love is gone? And for most people it gets ugly at the end. I used to be afraid of dying. But now I'm more afraid of living (in a fucked up state of being).

Amen to that. The only thing worse than dying is living forever.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

:lol: :lol: After years of repeating that his "favorite player" was Ivan Calderon. Of course, it's just like I said. Bernstein is a Cub fan and that Ivan Calderon crap is just a thing to slam the Sox by juxtaposing him against the "great" Cub heroes, like the equally undeserving Hall of Famer Andre Dawson. Dan is the guy who loves to bash players for "making too many outs". Since Baines's OBP was about 40 points higher than Dawson's maybe he should be bashing the Cub. But a Cub fan wouldn't do that, now would he?

I've got to a disagree with you on this Bernstein as a closeted Cubs fan theory. I've never heard him wax nostalgic about the Cubs, but I have heard him do so about the Sox on several occasions. Just the other day McKnight was talking about some computer shoe that debuted in 1986, and he asked Bernstein what he remembered about 1986, and Bernstein's first thought was "the White Sox were awful." That's the type of reaction only a fan would have. If someone asks me about my memories of 1995 or 2006, one of the first feelings that would come to mind would be disappointment. His reaction shows that it wasn't something he read about, but something he actually lived.

:lol: I rest my case.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

:lol: I rest my case.

To love the White Sox is to hate them. There's no other way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Sure, I feel the same way. But I also glory in the great moments, as few and far between as they may be. He never does.

Just be a Cub fan if you are. No one cares. That Calderon nonsense is designed to belittle the Sox and you won't convince me otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:07 am 
Site Admin

The 1986 White Sox were awful. But still better than the 1986 Cubs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sure, I feel the same way. But I also glory in the great moments, as few and far between as they may be. He never does.

Just be a Cub fan if you are. No one cares. That Calderon nonsense is designed to belittle the Sox and you won't convince me otherwise.

:lol: your thoughts on this always make me laugh.

The arrogance to think that you know better as to who the man is a fan of than he does.....why that is Bernsteinesque type of arrogance.

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The arrogance to think that you know better as to who the man is a fan of than he does.....why that is Bernsteinesque type of arrogance.

When you talk four hours a day, it's hard to hide who you really are. Bernstein, North, and Mac are all Cub fans and it's obvious. It's easy to claim you're a Sox fan while you disparage Minoso and wax poetic about Ernie Banks. When every good baseball memory you have is about the Cubs and every thing you say about the Sox is negative.

I can tell you I'm a vegetarian but it isn't arrogant for you to disagree when you see me eating a steak.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It’s probably easy to know he’s a Cub fan when he personally tells you he’s turned on the Sox because of failures to earn his quarterly ratings bonuses.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 am 
Site Admin

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It’s probably easy to know he’s a Cub fan when he personally tells you he’s turned on the Sox because of failures to earn his quarterly ratings bonuses.

Translation: The Cubs are good now so I don't need to pretend anymore.

Seriously, just look at the reaction of these "Sox fans" when the Sox won the World Series and compare it to their unabashed joy when the Cubs won. The only Sox fans I can think of in Chicago radio are Mully, Sir, Carm, and Hood.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: What??
What's the point of pretending to be a Sox fan?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
What's the point of pretending to be a Sox fan?

I'm not really sure. Maybe Mike North knows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I've never hidden the fact that I am proudly a fan of both teams. Mom was a Cubs fan and Dad was a Sox fan. I had the best of both worlds growing up.

Yeah, I take some crap over it... no problem, big shoulders, my friend. However, I've always explained it this way; I like the Cubs but I love my White Sox. They will always be number one in my book.

Root-root-root for whomever you want, just stay loyal, sincere and committed through thick and thin. That is an "Authentic Fan".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

When you talk four hours a day, it's hard to hide who you really are. Bernstein, North, and Mac are all Cub fans and it's obvious. It's easy to claim you're a Sox fan while you disparage Minoso and wax poetic about Ernie Banks. When every good baseball memory you have is about the Cubs and every thing you say about the Sox is negative.

I can tell you I'm a vegetarian but it isn't arrogant for you to disagree when you see me eating a steak.

I thought Mac was a Sox fan. We gave him shit here for being too drunk to come to work after the 2005 sweep of the steroids team from Houston.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:07 am 

It seems that Mac has had some subjective team loyalty over the years.

Other than Classic Rock, I really can't think of exactly where his meatball fandom lies...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Godfella wrote:
I've never hidden the fact that I am proudly a fan of both teams. Mom was a Cubs fan and Dad was a Sox fan. I had the best of both worlds growing up.

Yeah, I take some crap over it... no problem, big shoulders, my friend. However, I've always explained it this way; I like the Cubs but I love my White Sox. They will always be number one in my book.

Root-root-root for whomever you want, just stay loyal, sincere and committed through thick and thin. That is an "Authentic Fan".

I haven't either. Even though I know that I am going to get shit for it. I can only recall running across 1 other guy who really loved both teams. Most people I run across who "me too" me about this aren't really fans of both teams. They just don't hate the other team or they're casual baseball fans to begin with.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:17 am 

Nas wrote:
Godfella wrote:

I haven't either. Even though I know that I am going to get shit for it. I can only recall running across 1 other guy who really loved both teams. Most people I run across who "me too" me about this aren't really fans of both teams. They just don't hate the other team or they're casual baseball fans to begin with.

Yep - same here. I've experienced that as well.
The only time I don't pull for the Cubs is when they play the Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Monicals
I believe that every one of Steph Curry's NBA Field Goals has been faked. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Translation: The Cubs are good now so I don't need to pretend anymore.

Seriously, just look at the reaction of these "Sox fans" when the Sox won the World Series and compare it to their unabashed joy when the Cubs won. The only Sox fans I can think of in Chicago radio are Mully, Sir, Carm, and Hood.

I remember when Mac was complaining about White Sox attendance when they were averaging 32k a night and I just shook my head, this guy is a Sox fan?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Godfella wrote:
Nas wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Yep - same here. I've experienced that as well.
The only time I don't pull for the Cubs is when they play the Sox.

I'm in this camp of very few people. My team is the Sox but I find the Cub hate really stupid. I always cheer for the Cubs. I watched 2003 at the edge of my seat and was absolutely crushed when they pissed the NLCS away. I follow them closer than most "die hards". My wife is a Cubs fan as our most in my family. I little fun banter on neighborhood and attendance is fine, but I leave it at that.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

Bernstein is a Cubs fan. The Sox shtick was simply to be contrarian growing up in Deerfield.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Cubs collapse in 2003 is such a happy memory. That was an annoying team.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Cubs collapse in 2003 is such a happy memory. That was an annoying team.

Some but not all. The annoying didn't really expose itself until the following off-season and then the 2004 season.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
October 14, 2003 until October 26, 2005 was a great time for White Sox fans.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.