It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Nas wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Nas wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
All Bears signing Hunt jokes aside, I prefer my athletes abusive to stupid any day of the week. Irving and Curry should face the same level of ridicule as Hunt.

For NAS- With Space, what is the bridge to far? We haven't landed on the moon, did we make it to Mars, Pluto, voyager, Jupiter, Russia landing on Venus? How about Spacex landing rockets? It seems weird we could complete these other objectives, yet landing on the moon was out of bounds.

I'm not sold man has been on the moon. I don't doubt that we have landed things on the moon.

I'm more impressed we are able to land rovers and objects on other planets. With the manned craft, someone is able to correct in realtime. With all of the other landings, distance prevents adjustment or intervention.

Radiation. That would be a huge hurdle IMO. We don't have to worry about that for a robot. With all of our advances in technology I would think we would have taken another trip or Russia would have taken their first trip.

I think that is a reason we haven't really gone back though. They found out the astronauts were exposed to elevated radiation during those missions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Spaulding wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Some people think the moon doesn't exist. I've never really understood how it has "no atmosphere"- I do but I don't. I think nasa is a huge waste of money. It might just be a way of fucking the American people out of money. Fuckers.

Saying nothing at all.

Well thankfully you are here to say...everything. You are very important and everyone hangs on every word you say. That stuff on the cutting edge 4 minutes before the above quote was fucking riveting. Bless you.

More people responded or quoted me in this thread so who's really saying nothing?

Without the space race, do we have satellites now?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Radiation may have been an issue but most of the Apollo astronauts died pretty old no?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:
Radiation may have been an issue but most of the Apollo astronauts died pretty old no?

Yes, they did. However, the prevalence of cardiovascular disease over and above "control" (meaning: non-moon traversing) astronauts indicates that the radiation dosages were much higher than expected/reported. So sure, those astronauts lived with the dosage and it only impacted them later in life, but there remains no safe dosage of radiation, and it can be lethal in all kinds of ways.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
TurdFerguson wrote:
All Bears signing Hunt jokes aside, I prefer my athletes abusive to stupid any day of the week. Irving and Curry should face the same level of ridicule as Hunt.

I can't tell if this is meant to be a joke or not.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am 

Spaulding wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Some people think the moon doesn't exist. I've never really understood how it has "no atmosphere"- I do but I don't. I think nasa is a huge waste of money. It might just be a way of fucking the American people out of money. Fuckers.

Saying nothing at all.

Well thankfully you are here to say...everything. You are very important and everyone hangs on every word you say. That stuff on the cutting edge 4 minutes before the above quote was fucking riveting. Bless you.

More people responded or quoted me in this thread so who's really saying nothing?

:lol: :lol:

Spaulding moving meters!

To be fair, saying the moon might not exist is a statement that will compel a lot of people to respond.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Nas wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

For NAS- With Space, what is the bridge to far? We haven't landed on the moon, did we make it to Mars, Pluto, voyager, Jupiter, Russia landing on Venus? How about Spacex landing rockets? It seems weird we could complete these other objectives, yet landing on the moon was out of bounds.

I'm not sold man has been on the moon. I don't doubt that we have landed things on the moon.

I'm more impressed we are able to land rovers and objects on other planets. With the manned craft, someone is able to correct in realtime. With all of the other landings, distance prevents adjustment or intervention.

No doubt. I am still floored that we have a fairly high resolution image of this

that's Mars...that is beautiful and such an amazing human achievement

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 am 

Mankind has really accomplished so much. It is part of the reason I really don't fear many of the problems so many give themselves ulcers about daily. Even just assuming anything less than the exponential leaps made in the last 100 years can you imagine what things will look like in 2050-2070 which should cover about the end for many of us? Or will it? :lol:

For better or worse I have a feeling my generation will really feel some medical advances extending quality life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
tommy wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:
I’ll be starting more threads frequently.

So Bernstein was adamantly opposed to Harold Baines getting in? Wanted to listen but couldn't.

Baines was basically Dan’s favorite player growing up, so he felt sorry for him because of all the blowback. Obviously he doesn’t regard Baines as a legit hall of famer, but his bottom line was that Hal doesn’t deserve this type of infamy going forward.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:40 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... h-curry%2F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
whiskey dick wrote:
Baines was basically Dan’s favorite player growing up,

:lol: :lol: After years of repeating that his "favorite player" was Ivan Calderon. Of course, it's just like I said. Bernstein is a Cub fan and that Ivan Calderon crap is just a thing to slam the Sox by juxtaposing him against the "great" Cub heroes, like the equally undeserving Hall of Famer Andre Dawson. Dan is the guy who loves to bash players for "making too many outs". Since Baines's OBP was about 40 points higher than Dawson's maybe he should be bashing the Cub. But a Cub fan wouldn't do that, now would he?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

:lol: :lol: After years of repeating that his "favorite player" was Ivan Calderon. Of course, it's just like I said. Bernstein is a Cub fan and that Ivan Calderon crap is just a thing to slam the Sox by juxtaposing him against the "great" Cub heroes, like the equally undeserving Hall of Famer Andre Dawson. Dan is the guy who loves to bash players for "making too many outs". Since Baines's OBP was about 40 points higher than Dawson's maybe he should be bashing the Cub. But a Cub fan wouldn't do that, now would he?

Dan can't risk bashing the Cubs anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:21 am 

Dan was probably a Sox fan because of NWA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

Andre Dawson was an 8 time all star with 8 gold gloves and an MVP award and MVP votes in 9 seasons.

Harold Baines finished in the top 5 WAR on his own team 5 out of 22 seasons.

Your Calderon as a shot at the Sox theory seems very crazy to me. He was the best player on the Sox at the time and he was good. I could see Dan being a Cub fan but repping the Sox as a hipster thing...I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:43 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Andre Dawson was an 8 time all star with 8 gold gloves and an MVP award and MVP votes in 9 seasons.

Right. And now Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer. That's via voting. Subjective. What's objective is that Dawson made a lot more outs than Baines. The "too many outs" thing is a standard Bernstein talking point. Yet it's ignored when an undeserving Cub gets in and amplified when it's Jim Rice or, God forbid, a White Sox player.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Dawson was clearly better. His 90 year old knees dimmed his lights.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Baines got damn near 3,000 hits on one good knee.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 am 
Site Admin

MartyD47 wrote:
Baines got damn near 3,000 hits on one good knee.

SOX KNEES MATTER!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 am 

I know defensive metrics are suspect, but they certainly dont support that Baines was a good outfielder at any point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
I know defensive metrics are suspect, but they certainly dont support that Baines was a good outfielder at any point.

Yeah, they are suspect. Baines was a top rightfielder at the outset of his career. He had a superior arm and played in a big outfield. It didn't last long as he broke down pretty early.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Mankind has really accomplished so much. It is part of the reason I really don't fear many of the problems so many give themselves ulcers about daily. Even just assuming anything less than the exponential leaps made in the last 100 years can you imagine what things will look like in 2050-2070 which should cover about the end for many of us? Or will it? :lol:

For better or worse I have a feeling my generation will really feel some medical advances extending quality life.

I think the conventional wisdom is that the first human that will live to 150 years old is on the plant somewhere right now.

Now it's not you or I, and certainly isn't "the Hawk" (both the poster and the HoF outfielder), but it could be one of my kids, which is pretty cool to think about - at least for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm 

One Post wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I think the conventional wisdom is that the first human that will live to 150 years old is on the plant somewhere right now.

Now it's not you or I, and certainly isn't "the Hawk" (both the poster and the HoF outfielder), but it could be one of my kids, which is pretty cool to think about - at least for me.

It's probably me

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
One Post wrote:
pittmike wrote:

It's probably me

Well that is significantly less cool.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:

Yeah, I've read that too. But would you really want to live to be 150? I doubt you'd be too spry. I guess it wouldn't be awful if you weren't in a lot of pain. But I'm 55 and I can already see a lot of things I like are becoming relics. What about when all the stuff you love is gone? And for most people it gets ugly at the end. I used to be afraid of dying. But now I'm more afraid of living (in a fucked up state of being).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Yeah, I've read that too. But would you really want to live to be 150? I doubt you'd be too spry. I guess it wouldn't be awful if you weren't in a lot of pain. But I'm 55 and I can already see a lot of things I like are becoming relics. What about when all the stuff you love is gone? And for most people it gets ugly at the end. I used to be afraid of dying. But now I'm more afraid of living (in a fucked up state of being).

If you live to 150 you may see another Cubs World Series win.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

I'd be down to live to 150+ if it was San Junipero style, which I am just assuming it will be with how tech is going.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Because of my offspring I would want to live to be 150. I'm still afraid of death. There is the arrogant belief that they will always need me and then there is the enjoyment I get from watching them grow in every possible way. I think they help me adjust to the changing of things that I liked. I imagine the older I get I probably won't be as flexible to change.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

If you live to 150 you may see another Cubs World Series win.

2116!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Tithonus!!!

Don't forget to develop a return to youth along with extra years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Aw, don’t sell yourself short JORR, you’re pretty fucked up right now...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next