It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I heard Mac today talk about how he asked Bernstein and McKnight to work an additional hour one day in Arizona, so Mac and Parkins could play golf without worry of getting back and ready to begin their show on time. In exchange, Mac and Parkins would work an extra hour the following day, so McKnight and Bernstein could have their day shortened by an hour. Seems like a request most any guy would be happy to grant a teammate. But Bernstein refuses the request. No real reason, other than saying he doesn't want anyone else taking any of their air time that has their names attached to it. What a jagoff! What kind of pudwhack denies a coworker such a simple request?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:15 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I heard Mac today talk about how he asked Bernstein and McKnight to work an additional hour one day in Arizona, so Mac and Parkins could play golf without worry of getting back and ready to begin their show on time. In exchange, Mac and Parkins would work an extra hour the following day, so McKnight and Bernstein could have their day shortened by an hour. Seems like a request most any guy would be happy to grant a teammate. But Bernstein refuses the request. No real reason, other than saying he doesn't want anyone else taking any of their air time that has their names attached to it. What a jagoff! What kind of pudwhack denies a coworker such a simple request?

I think Bernstein is mostly pissed that they are going to all come in to work drunk, and it is going to be about a hundred times more interesting than anything he could ever do with that dawg of a show he has.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:20 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Bad move by Bernstein. I get not being happy about it but saying "no" is an awful look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am 

wouldn't have expected differently

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 am 

It would have been even more Bernstein to have squeezed two hours out of them for his one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
It would have been even more Bernstein to have squeezed two hours out of them for his one.

(((Dolphin))) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
If he's worried about someone else doing "his" show for an hour, ok that's fine. But to not offer to cover for an hour is a crappy move.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Didn't Boers & Bernstein do Mully & Hanley's shift during spring training once? wanna say 2011? Dan's just being difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: ....
This could totally be a work, though.

The enthusiasm with which Dan B announced it kinda suggested to me that he had clearance to bring it up. Seemed really out of character for him to publicize inter-show info. Very "Mac-like". I wouldn't doubt that this is a set-up.

I like shit like this, though. Even if its fake, its still fun (see WWE lol).

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Transition with Mully and Haugh :

1st Bernstein feigns stupidity on the whole thing. Even though "my phone was blowing up."

Then he says if the official schedule says he is working an extra hour, then he will do it.

Then he changes to I have no problem working an extra hour BUT I WANT TO DO MY WHOLE SHOW.

Dan says "what do I have to gain?". Other than listeners, nothing.

Connor just sits there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Peoria Matt wrote:
Dan says "what do I have to gain?"

Dan's life in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Peoria Matt wrote:
Then he (bernstein) changes to I have no problem working an extra hour BUT I WANT TO DO MY WHOLE SHOW.

was there ever any doubt this was issue 1a with the proposition? Bernstein only takes days off from work for religious holidays. he likes doing his show and losing an hour of his show is a negative to him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I would go further that he likely thinks getting a free trip to do shows then begging off an hour for golf is not professional in his world.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Bad optics.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Franky T wrote:
If he's worried about someone else doing "his" show for an hour, ok that's fine. But to not offer to cover for an hour is a crappy move.

Unless I'm mistaken, initially that was his response - he'd do the extra hour but he didn't want the 'return favor' of someone else doing an hour of his show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 am 

I imagine he volunteered to be a hall monitor in grade school

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Furious Styles wrote:
Bad optics.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
pittmike wrote:
I would go further that he likely thinks getting a free trip to do shows then begging off an hour for golf is not professional in his world.

There is really no benefit to the listener of them broadcasting from Arizona.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Tad Queasy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

There is really no benefit to the listener of them broadcasting from Arizona.

but dem player/manager/FO interviews... ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Can't remember the last time I listened to a player interview, regardless of sport, and thought, "hey, that was interesting, i actually learned something, glad I listened." Somehow the guys duped management into thinking listeners want to hear player interviews. forget the players, It's getting to the point where I can barely listen the the Score's broadcasters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Why doesn't McDoink step up and volunteer to do that hour solo? It can't be that hard to fill one hour with nothing... if he needs tips, he can ask Julie for advice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:48 am 

Very much enjoyed all tension yesterday, made for some interesting listening. A couple of things I feel have not been explored. First, it was Bernstein, I think that talked about how it made for better radio when all hosts were on the same wavelength. Really, I think it would make for better radio if all the hosts were not on the same wavelength. Shows did not have to be *bitter* rivals, but it would be interesting, I think if the shows were a bit more antagonistic. I mean back in the day, the North show vs B&B was fun to hear play out.

The other thing, all good teammates stuff, Parkins commented on Bernstein's camp, and wanting to be more involved. Bernstein, it seemed to me at least, was seething. Essentially, he was saying if not fully articulating, was this is my thing, get your own thing Parkins. And he's right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The score hosts bickering is usually pretty petty, over the stupidest of things that no one listening gives a rat's ass about. Makes for great radio. Also with Les dancing around questions, the best score day since Goff got axed, and Speigel demoted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Geraci's
rogar6 wrote:
Can't remember the last time I listened to a player interview, regardless of sport, and thought, "hey, that was interesting, i actually learned something, glad I listened." Somehow the guys duped management into thinking listeners want to hear player interviews. forget the players, It's getting to the point where I can barely listen the the Score's broadcasters.

Yeah I never need to hear another player interview again; or that 20 second 'coach running into the locker room at half time' interview

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
VI wrote:
Really, I think it would make for better radio if all the hosts were not on the same wavelength. Shows did not have to be *bitter* rivals, but it would be interesting, I think if the shows were a bit more antagonistic. I mean back in the day, the North show vs B&B was fun to hear play out.

Agreed. Mac also made a related point on Can't Do It yesterday when asked what he thought of Carmen DeFalco both personally and professionally. He said he had nothing but good things to say about him as a person, but then added that if no one ever has a bad word to say about you, that is not an asset for a talk radio host.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Agreed. Mac also made a related point on Can't Do It yesterday when asked what he thought of Carmen DeFalco both personally and professionally. He said he had nothing but good things to say about him as a person, but then added that if no one ever has a bad word to say about you, that is not an asset for a talk radio host.

That's not necessarily true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Spaulding wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

That's not necessarily true.

I think more people would agree its true than not

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 am 

Carmen is mild salsa, vanilla ice cream.

He is La Croix to Mac's Red Bull

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jaw Breaker wrote:
VI wrote:
Really, I think it would make for better radio if all the hosts were not on the same wavelength. Shows did not have to be *bitter* rivals, but it would be interesting, I think if the shows were a bit more antagonistic. I mean back in the day, the North show vs B&B was fun to hear play out.

That makes Murph the best radio host of all-time :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
FavreFan wrote:
I think more people would agree its true than not

Likability is an important factor for an entertainer. It leads to opportunities, longevity, and sustained success. McNeil's success come from his likability not from "bad words people say about him" or contentiousness. The careers of the more likable people have trended upwards and have even brought unlikable people along for the ride. Boers/Bernstein or Mac/Harry,Speigel. The latters careers took somewhat of a nosedive once their counterparts were gone. Look at hosts that were once likeable like drinky, North, or Goff and became not likable. It's happened with almost every host. It's not true for someone like Murph but I'd say that's not the norm.

Loyalty and listenership doesn't come from people wanting disagreement or whatever is considered "thrilling" radio. People will tire of it if it's manufactured. People like the comfort, feeling included, occasionally thought provoking ideas, and humor.