It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
this was from The Athletic's sports radio survey (viewtopic.php?f=156&t=116650), where Bernstein won best 'driver' though the sample audience was apparently all B&B superfans (guilty...)

found this interesting though:

Quote:
A lot of people at the station feel like he’s mellowed with his move, which was seen as a demotion.

Given deCastro’s not-so veiled “stick to sports” marching orders that sent Goff, the only black daytime host in the city, packing, many wondered if Bernstein, who enjoys mixing it up on race and politics from a decidedly liberal point-of-view, was next. One theory I heard at the time was that Bernstein was still very popular with the sponsors, which saved him.

Today, The Score’s operations director Mitch Rosen thinks Bernstein has been “somewhat humbled” by the move to mid-days and is “more friendly” to listeners.

“With Bernstein it’s the same Bernstein, but he’s adjusted and adapted to this audience,” Rosen said. “I’m not surprised the people in the poll voted this way.”

But Bernstein has more than made the best of his situation. As a father of two teenagers, his new schedule is a boon to his real life. And while he said the art of driving a show hasn’t changed, he doesn’t disagree with the notion that he’s chilled out a little. It’s not by design, though, he said.

“I think a lot of it is I’m older,” he said. “I’m the same age now that Terry was when he and I started. I haven’t really been thinking about it. But maybe I’m feeding off the energy of a much younger partner. I haven’t thought about it in those terms, but it’s perfectly reasonable. I have a younger partner and I’m in a different role.”

I’ve described the show as a nerdy father and son pairing and Bernstein raves about McKnight’s preparation and personality, while not comparing him to any of his former hosts.

“I think our show is not quite as edgy and confrontational as Boers and Bernstein was,” he said. “These shows take on lives of their own. I don’t think anyone goes in planning to be nicer or to be this or to be that. You just let it roll. Connor is a very upbeat guy. The producers are both fun with upbeat personalities. My guess is in an effort to drive the show, to be the facilitator, (his easygoing demeanor) may just be a natural function, a gestalt of the show.”

Yes, Bernstein used “gestalt” in a sentence about sports radio. He hasn’t changed that much.

genuine :shock: at the fact that Bernstein is as old as B&B-starting Boers was.

Is Bernstein's contract up any time soon? It sounds like he is mentally preparing himself for a reduction in salary to keep this work/life balance.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm 

Anyone who describes themselves as "edgy" should be thrown off a cliff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Quote:
I’ve described the show as a nerdy father and son pairing and Bernstein raves about McKnight’s preparation and personality

I didn't think a milquetoast personality was something to rave about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Reared on the Score wrote:
this was from The Athletic's sports radio survey (http://www.chicagofanatics.com/viewtopi ... 6&t=116650), where Bernstein won best 'driver' though the sample audience was apparently all B&B superfans (guilty...)

found this interesting though:

Quote:
A lot of people at the station feel like he’s mellowed with his move, which was seen as a demotion.

Given deCastro’s not-so veiled “stick to sports” marching orders that sent Goff, the only black daytime host in the city, packing, many wondered if Bernstein, who enjoys mixing it up on race and politics from a decidedly liberal point-of-view, was next. One theory I heard at the time was that Bernstein was still very popular with the sponsors, which saved him.

Today, The Score’s operations director Mitch Rosen thinks Bernstein has been “somewhat humbled” by the move to mid-days and is “more friendly” to listeners.

“With Bernstein it’s the same Bernstein, but he’s adjusted and adapted to this audience,” Rosen said. “I’m not surprised the people in the poll voted this way.”

But Bernstein has more than made the best of his situation. As a father of two teenagers, his new schedule is a boon to his real life. And while he said the art of driving a show hasn’t changed, he doesn’t disagree with the notion that he’s chilled out a little. It’s not by design, though, he said.

“I think a lot of it is I’m older,” he said. “I’m the same age now that Terry was when he and I started. I haven’t really been thinking about it. But maybe I’m feeding off the energy of a much younger partner. I haven’t thought about it in those terms, but it’s perfectly reasonable. I have a younger partner and I’m in a different role.”

I’ve described the show as a nerdy father and son pairing and Bernstein raves about McKnight’s preparation and personality, while not comparing him to any of his former hosts.

“I think our show is not quite as edgy and confrontational as Boers and Bernstein was,” he said. “These shows take on lives of their own. I don’t think anyone goes in planning to be nicer or to be this or to be that. You just let it roll. Connor is a very upbeat guy. The producers are both fun with upbeat personalities. My guess is in an effort to drive the show, to be the facilitator, (his easygoing demeanor) may just be a natural function, a gestalt of the show.”

Yes, Bernstein used “gestalt” in a sentence about sports radio. He hasn’t changed that much.

genuine :shock: at the fact that Bernstein is as old as B&B-starting Boers was.

Is Bernstein's contract up any time soon? It sounds like he is mentally preparing himself for a reduction in salary to keep this work/life balance.

Alright. Ignore the bullshit Bernstein quotes. His change had nothing to do with being older. It was being humbled. But, like I said at the time, the biggest reason for his change was FEAR. He knew he DeCastro would get him next if he didn't change.

I think Bernstein blames Goff. I think Goff knows that Bernstein blames him. Not that Bernstein has said that to him. But Goff thinks that. So I think those two hate each other and never speak anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
Kinder, gentler, it sounds like he's been neutered.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Did 5 people take this survey? I think he is to busy retweeting far left sites on politics to even care about his job anymore.

The show is just awful, really not Dan's fault, more Mcknight just not being good at radio. Its really boring radio.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:

What about someone who embodies the characteristics of the wrestler, The Edge?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
Quote:
One theory I heard at the time was that Bernstein was still very popular with the sponsors, which saved him.

Cameron Hughes wrote:
Nobody hawks wine like this guy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

That makes sense.

Bernstein makes sense in selling wine and sheets for racist white sponsors.

Where as black Goff wasn't liked by those racist sponsors. They didn't think he could move product for white Chicago. Whites are the majority listeners at the SCORE.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:16 am 

pizza_Place: Maciano's
Bernstein has been humbled by the demotion. He's staring at eight years of private college tuition and knows he needs a solid, steady gig to pay those bills. He's going to do what management wants.

He also appears nicer because they take far fewer callers than they did during the B&B days. There are fewer opportunities to be an asshole because there are fewer interactions with morons and imbeciles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Who'd of thought being a Kunt and telling listeners not to listen could lead to bad ratings and a demotion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
During transition today Speigel was talking about a recliner he bought. Bernstein said he feels too much pressure to recline when he sits in one. Parkins asked who was pressuring him to do so (Big Pharma? The Recliner Lobby?) and Bernstein said it didn't really matter because usually watches TV standing up anyway.

Does he really watch TV standing up, or does he just like to tell people he watches TV standing up? Considering the source, it could go either way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
How do you get in that mindset where you are analyzing a recliner? That is just weird.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I thought he and doink were intentionally obtuse when they were harshing on callers who said they loved baseball but had never seen Trout play. The callers clearly were referring to Trout being on the West Coast where the games start too late for the evening highlights. They beat the stupid bit into the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
GoldenJet wrote:
I thought he and doink were intentionally obtuse when they were harshing on callers who said they loved baseball but had never seen Trout play. The callers clearly were referring to Trout being on the West Coast where the games start too late for the evening highlights. They beat the stupid bit into the ground.

Yup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

It's funny how he doesn't remember when Terry was always talking about games he didn't see for a variety of reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It's funny how he doesn't remember when Terry was always talking about games he didn't see for a variety of reasons.

One of the funny ones today was a caller that sounded like Wild Bill. Anyway he called them arrogant and guy said he had more important things to do like his kids. Then they had to make a joke about his kids. Just weird.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
How do you get in that mindset where you are analyzing a recliner? That is just weird.
By talking about Penn State all day every day for about 4 years.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I’m glad I haven’t gotten to listen to this incarnation of Dan Bernstein.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Anyway he called them arrogant and guy said he had more important things to do like his kids.

:shock:

Chas vibe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm 

2015: Why isn't Bernstein nicer to callers and more personable?
2019: HAHA, Dan Bernstein is kinder and gentler like a sellout!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: coal fire
GoldenJet wrote:

yep. glad parkins defended the side the callers had during transition. the context Bernstein and McKnight put the topic in made it sound like watching full games. I guarantee those two bimbos are not watching full angels games because trout might be the best ever. watch 30 second highlight videos on twitter? yes. genuinely dislike how these two clowns take calls and rub their callers face in the dirt with their "idiotic" takes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Dan Bernstein is all things to all people. A true hero.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I found that segment today to be ridiculous as well. Basically, they were saying that if you had not actively sought out Mike Trout content at some point in the past you were a bad baseball fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Careful; don't cut yourself on that edge there ....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Can someone post the entire article? I'd like to read the rest of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This could be revisionist history. But when B&B were at their prime they'd make fun of callers and the listeners would be in on the joke.

But then Bernstein swerved into being outright nasty and disdainful to callers.

And I guess now he's just become a puss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:35 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This could be revisionist history. But when B&B were at their prime they'd make fun of callers and the listeners would be in on the joke.

Sort of. He really just sometimes wanders back into asshat for short spurts. Most of the time he seems more normal but certainly neutered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:37 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

People complained about them being mean to callers since I've been on this board. The hatred of Bernstein continued to grow once Mike North was gone and a new target was needed so it definitely grew.