It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Does anyone else find it odd that both Bernstein and Holmes have come out hard as pro bat flip but both admitted that they never engaged in the practice when they actually played baseball? That's why I have never been able to fully endorse that type of behavior, it seems like posturing and I would be embarrassed to do it. Something tells me that most of these media types who give people shit for being against the practice feel the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Really? I can't believe bernstein didn't flip his bat when he turned around a 95 mph heater!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The fear of splintahs was one I could nevah overcome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Warren Newson wrote:
Does anyone else find it odd that both Bernstein and Holmes have come out hard as pro bat flip but both admitted that they never engaged in the practice when they actually played baseball? That's why I have never been able to fully endorse that type of behavior, it seems like posturing and I would be embarrassed to do it. Something tells me that most of these media types who give people shit for being against the practice feel the same way.

I remember your first MLB at-bat. It was a HR for the What Sox.

Good Guys Are Black!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Not surprising at all. This has become a "right side of history" discussion. If you don't like bat flipping you are a privileged, old, racist, white male. If you love it then you are on the right side of history.

I liked someone on the morning show's stance on it. If its a walk off then live it up but if its just a hr during the game chill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Not surprising at all. This has become a "right side of history" discussion. If you don't like bat flipping you are a privileged, old, racist, white male. If you love it then you are on the right side of history.

I liked someone on the morning show's stance on it. If its a walk off then live it up but if its just a hr during the game chill.

Indeed it has. I suspect Bernstein's opinions on the subject come more from his desire to seem relevant and cool than his actual feelings. If he saw is son doing it, I suspect he'd tell him to stop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm 

This is it exactly. The whole right side of history bullshit.

Wasn't there an old B&B segment where Terry and Dan railed on anyone who dared to bat flip and they deserved to get drilled for such stupidity?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Wasn't there an old B&B segment where Terry and Dan railed on anyone who dared to bat flip and they deserved to get drilled for such stupidity?

He acknowledged that history but claimed that he changed his mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yes. Dan hated baseball celebrations at one point. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Then he changed cuz he read somebody that he respected. Larry changed as well. Because Bernstein changed his opinion. That's always the case with Larry.

It's stupid to bat flip on a 1st, 2nd or 3rd inning home run. Stupid to celebrate like an ass hole. And it's not about being old or racist.

Cuz guess who hit Anderson? A 25 year old pitcher. And he wasn't white.

And if Bernstein changes his mind again, so will Larry. That's been Larry's entire SCORE career. Agree with whatever the fuck Bernstein says.

Last edited by Beardown on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Was bat flipping even a thing back when Danny and Leery played?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Minooka Meatball wrote:

No. It was more of the pause and stare at it when they were kids. That was frowned upon at that time by pitchers. The bat flip started about 3 or 4 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

No. It was more of the pause and stare at it when they were kids. That was frowned upon at that time by pitchers. The bat flip started about 3 or 4 years ago.

They actually seemed to imply that it was. Dan claimed he never had any at bats worthy of a bat flip and Holmes claimed that he was actively trying to police the game when he played.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:07 pm 

Larry is such an idiot. He did not police anything.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
HAHAHAHA they said the 'actually played'??? What Sandlot ball? I guess that qualifies these days as real baseball experience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I don't mind a bat flip. Like most things, it can be overdone and it can be done at the wrong time. But overall, it doesn't upset me. However, I also don't mind a pitcher perceiving that as being shown up and then plunking a guy in the thigh or ass next time. I draw the line at head hunting. Don't throw at dudes heads. Hit em in the ass.

Or, like, get them out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He acknowledged that history but claimed that he changed his mind.

:lol: :lol: Of course he did

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:06 am 
Site Admin

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
I don't mind a bat flip. Like most things, it can be overdone and it can be done at the wrong time. But overall, it doesn't upset me. However, I also don't mind a pitcher perceiving that as being shown up and then plunking a guy in the thigh or ass next time. I draw the line at head hunting. Don't throw at dudes heads. Hit em in the ass.

Or, like, get them out.

Yeah, it doesn't upset me either. It also doesn't increase my enjoyment of the game. In most cases it makes the flipper look like a narcissistic douchebag. It's just some guy screaming, "LOOK AT ME!" That's why it's so funny when the Millennial protests about his stereotype. I, I, I, iPhone, iCloud, customized for ME, ME, ME!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 am 

It is perfectly acceptable for the batter to be happy just as it is perfectly acceptable for the pitcher to be not be happy.

Neither would be happy when the umpire does histrionics when calling a ball, strike or out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:33 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
It is perfectly acceptable for the batter to be happy just as it is perfectly acceptable for the pitcher to be not be happy.

Neither would be happy when the umpire does histrionics when calling a ball, strike or out.

Is it really about happiness? I'm happy right now. Should I walk over to the kitchen where my wife is and shake my hips and stick my cock in her face? WOO-HOO! YES!

I'd say the vast majority of bat flips are contrived showboating rather than genuine emotion. Kris Bryant's smile when he threw over to first for the last out, that's genuine emotion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
What about the Pedro Strop-Fernando Rodney type celebrations after a strikeout? Are those genuine emotion, or showboating? MANY pitchers do this and sometimes it probably is genuine. The guys I listed clearly are showboating.

Personally, I really don't care. Baseball needs more guys like Baez, Anderson, etc who have some swagger and showboat a bit. My issue is that you can't have it both ways. If you are OK with pitchers celebrating a big strikeout or Javy celebrating a tag, then you have to be OK with bat flips. Its not a one way street. I know I'm also going to contradict myself a bit, but I'm also OK with the KC pitcher throwing and hitting Anderson in the ass. He didn't go after his head or his hands, but the meaty part of him. I think if the douchebag catcher didn't jump up in Timmay's face he likely would have glared at the pitcher for two seconds, then went to first base.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Russo said it best. This is going to lead to more brawls. The MLB wants more emotion shown on the field and promotes the bat flips and other stuff but young professional athletes with high testerone don't want to be shown up on the field.

I like bat flips when it's a big moment like when Batista hit the home run vs the Rangers but there is no reason for it when it's 8-0 in the 8th inning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Brawls? No, probably not. For all the times that benches clear in MLB, I'd guess less than 10% actually results in punches being thrown.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bench clearings, whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
You guys have hit on the main point. It's a matter of whether it's a natural reaction of excitement or if it is pre-planned and drawn out. The pre-planned staring-down-the-pitcher shit is Bush league. Same way in the NFL. The pre-planned celebrations are terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Is it really about happiness? I'm happy right now. Should I walk over to the kitchen where my wife is and shake my hips and stick my cock in her face? WOO-HOO! YES!

I'd say the vast majority of bat flips are contrived showboating rather than genuine emotion. Kris Bryant's smile when he threw over to first for the last out, that's genuine emotion.

Probably. What I don’t really grasp is the score crew yesterday pushing the grow the game angle. It the bat flip the main thing making kids pick up a glove and ball or begging their single mother to run them out to the Cell ASAP?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Probably. What I don’t really grasp is the score crew yesterday pushing the grow the game angle. It the bat flip the main thing making kids pick up a glove and ball or begging their single mother to run them out to the Cell ASAP?

I don't know. Young guys seem to love it. They like MMA too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Why single mother tho?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Kids with dads understand that bat flipping is not masculine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Kids with dads understand that bat flipping is not masculine.

:lol: A good dad won't hesitate to throw at his kid's head. A single mom would never do that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jbi11s wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Why single mother tho?

You know why.