It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think you could compare it to betting horses.

I don’t think you’ve ever heard of a thing you couldn’t. :lol:

True. A metaphor for any situation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Some of you are honestly to dumb to breathe.
Take too breaths before you post, Mike.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Lots of crotchety old man takes in here :lol:

No issues with the bat flip. I’m not against fun.

I don't care if the batter drops his pants and runs the bases with his ass out.

It's not fun for the guy who gave up the homer though. And I'd prefer baseball not turn into professional wrestling.

Pitchers do fist pumps all the time. Is it ok for the batter to go take a bat to his knee afterward? If not, it's not ok for these cowardly chickenshit pitchers to throw at a guy just because they're insecure.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly one of the most fun times I had was a high school game vs. Clemente about five years ago. There was music, cheering and a bat flip contest that one of their players started after a mammoth blast.

Sometimes you just want to laugh.

Dude we would love playing in Gately where the opponents bands and sections were the show. And remember when the old classic black college bands came to Soldier Field. Now that is expression. Not some dumb ass dotting the I.

Spirit. Fun. Lost on far too many, especially the policing/respect the game crowd.

There were a couple of times two kids on my son's teams felt the need to sing gospel music. Once the manager was coaching third & I was in the dugout late in a scoreless championship game. He got really embarrassed and motioned for me to shut them up. I wouldn't because I knew it always broke the kids' stress, not to mention made me & all the parents laugh. They immediately unloaded for three runs en route to a blowout win.

It wasn't taunting or disrespectful, just goofy and funny. But I saw it unnerve the hell out of teams we were playing. Stress levels in elite travel ballgames can be WAY too high.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:41 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not fun for the guy who gave up the homer though. And I'd prefer baseball not turn into professional wrestling.

Pitchers do fist pumps all the time. Is it ok for the batter to go take a bat to his knee afterward? If not, it's not ok for these cowardly chickenshit pitchers to throw at a guy just because they're insecure.

I don't support that either. These guys are paid millions of dollars to hit home runs and strike guys out. Is it too much to ask that they act like professionals rather than like an eight year old who just received a pony on her birthday?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
It’s not going away JoRR.

Pretty soon all the two parent households around the country will be encouraging it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:44 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Dude we would love playing in Gately where the opponents bands and sections were the show. And remember when the old classic black college bands came to Soldier Field. Now that is expression. Not some dumb ass dotting the I.

Why the need to take a gratuitous shot at The Best Damn Band In The Land? Do you hate Sousaphone players?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't support that either. These guys are paid millions of dollars to hit home runs and strike guys out. Is it too much to ask that they act like professionals rather than like an eight year old who just received a pony on her birthday?

Well I think that’s your bias speaking. There’s nothing unprofessional about flipping a bat or doing a fist pump after making a great play. Tiger and Jordan were known for the fist pump. It’s just that baseball lends itself to the type of uptight insecurity that manifests itself in not being able to handle being on the losing end of a play.

I’d argue it’s WAY more unprofessional to drill a guy because of a bat flip than flipping the bat itself. That type of cowardice wouldn’t fly in other sports.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Jbi11s wrote:
It’s not going away JoRR.

Pretty soon all the two parent households around the country will be encouraging it.

Like I said, I don't care. It neither bothers me nor gives me any joy. I just don't think being an "IN YOUR FACE" asshole is particularly fun or great expression.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Well I think that’s your bias speaking. There’s nothing unprofessional about flipping a bat or doing a fist pump after making a great play. Tiger and Jordan were known for the fist pump. It’s just that baseball lends itself to the type of uptight insecurity that manifests itself in not being able to handle being on the losing end of a play.

I’d argue it’s WAY more unprofessional to drill a guy because of a bat flip than flipping the bat itself. That type of cowardice wouldn’t fly in other sports.

My bias about what? Treating other people the way I like to be treated? I can't believe you think humiliating others is "fun".

And I think it's funny that you cite Michael Jordan, who by any standard is a piece of shit human being who got joy from humiliating others to the point that he brought a high school teammate to his Hall of Fame induction so he could make clear how much greater he was than that guy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 am 

There's nothing humiliating about it. I can't believe you think it is.

Sports are competitive. This is a nonsensical topic and would be considered such in any other sport. Learn how to lose "professionally". Stop acting like a fucking toddler would. Is that too much to ask from a pitcher?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:57 am 

Humiliating is over the top here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:

Really? Don't you think a guy feels bad enough having given up a homer without some jerkoff preening and pimping? The point isn't simply "fun" and I think you know that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Don't you think a guy feels bad enough after striking out without some jerkoff shooting an imaginary arrow into the sky and yelling at all his teammates?

Seriously, where do we draw the line?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
This is a nonsensical topic and would be considered such in any other sport. Learn how to lose "professionally". Stop acting like a fucking toddler would. Is that too much to ask from a pitcher?

Your favorite sport is built around IN YOUR FACE humiliation.

And I would suggest that beating one's chest with pride is really the act of a toddler.

If you think I'm advocating throwing at guys- which seems to be the case- you're barking up the wrong tree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Don't you think a guy feels bad enough after striking out without some jerkoff shooting an imaginary arrow into the sky and yelling at all his teammates?

Seriously, where do we draw the line?

How about not doing any of that stuff? But look, as I've said from the beginning, I don't care one way or the other. I'm just not going to pretend that it is part of the game, let alone that it is entertaining. But I do realize many find it so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Humiliating is having a ball travel 420 feet in 2.6 seconds. The rest is gravy...speaking from experience.

Next time; make him chase until you walk him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:10 pm 

Can't believe Tiger wasn't called out for this very unprofessional celebration. Definitely humiliating to his fellow golfers. Dustin Johnson would have been well within his rights to take a 5 iron to the back of Tiger. That would've been the proper way to police such behavior.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But look, as I've said from the beginning, I don't care one way or the other.

Clearly.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

I think that Tiger picture is different. That was him winning a major. Thats a bigger deal than Tim Anderson jacking a ball 400' to left field in April.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frankly one of the most fun times I had was a high school game vs. Clemente about five years ago. There was music, cheering and a bat flip contest that one of their players started after a mammoth blast.

Spirit. Fun. Lost on far too many, especially the policing/respect the game crowd.

There were a couple of times two kids on my son's teams felt the need to sing gospel music. Once the manager was coaching third & I was in the dugout late in a scoreless championship game. He got really embarrassed and motioned for me to shut them up. I wouldn't because I knew it always broke the kids' stress, not to mention made me & all the parents laugh. They immediately unloaded for three runs en route to a blowout win.

It wasn't taunting or disrespectful, just goofy and funny. But I saw it unnerve the hell out of teams we were playing. Stress levels in elite travel ballgames can be WAY too high.
So players in the 50s 60s 70s didn’t have spirit and weren’t having fun ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think that Tiger picture is different. That was him winning a major. Thats a bigger deal than Tim Anderson jacking a ball 400' to left field in April.

You’re arguing a difference in degree, not kind. Either it’s ok to celebrate or it’s humiliating to your opponents.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Really? Don't you think a guy feels bad enough having given up a homer without some jerkoff preening and pimping? The point isn't simply "fun" and I think you know that.

Because he screwed up his one job doesn't mean that I can't enjoy doing mine well? Besides I don't see that as even rising to the level of giving him the business. If the pitcher is a good teammate, his teammates are gonna give him the jokes, which is a bit worse, but still not "humiliation" in my book.

And if he can't take it, f him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
badrogue17 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No.

Not enough Latin players.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Maybe it is the same to Tim Anderson.

For the next MLB pitcher that fist pumps or shouts in his glove, can the next batter chuck his bat at him?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:19 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Raiders and Jets excepted, it sure as hell looks like they didn't. At least not until they started drinking at Toots Shorr's

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Maybe it is the same to Tim Anderson.

For the next MLB pitcher that fist pumps or shouts in his glove, can the next batter chuck his bat at him?

Yup. Gotta make sure to chuck it at his lower body. Would be wrong to chuck it at his head :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But look, as I've said from the beginning, I don't care one way or the other.

Clearly.

I don't. I'm not sure why this Anderson thing is getting so much play. Guys flip their bats or stand in the box and watch all the time. I hardly even notice it.

But I'll say one thing about your comparison to other sports. The other sports have much more physical contact. Intimidation and physicality are key to those games. That isn't the case with baseball. It's not about dominating another person physically. I understand a basketball player being pumped up after he dunks over a guy or blocks his shot or a football player being jacked up after a sack. A bat flip is more like Magnus Carlsen leaping out of his chair and screaming, "CHECKMATE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

You’re arguing a difference in degree, not kind. Either it’s ok to celebrate or it’s humiliating to your opponents.
No, I'm not. Actually WINNING The Masters is a lot different than hitting a home run.

Now, if you hit a World Series walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th inning against of the league's premier closers, then we might have a comparison 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

No, I'm not. Actually WINNING The Masters is a lot different than hitting a home run.

Now, if you hit a World Series walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th inning against of the league's premier closers, then we might have a comparison 8)

Nobody is angry when the other team has to watch the dogpile after a championship.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next