It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I'll say one thing about your comparison to other sports......
:lol: Chess is not a sport.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Why doesn't an entire team get drilled the next game after a walk-off and celebration? 9 hit batters in a row...and then chuck a few into the dugout for good measure. That'll teach em to jump on my plate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But look, as I've said from the beginning, I don't care one way or the other.

:lol:

Clearly.

I don't. I'm not sure why this Anderson thing is getting so much play. Guys flip their bats or stand in the box and watch all the time. I hardly even notice it.

But I'll say one thing about your comparison to other sports. The other sports have much more physical contact. Intimidation and physicality are key to those games. That isn't the case with baseball. It's not about dominating another person physically. I understand a basketball player being pumped up after he dunks over a guy or blocks his shot or a football player being jacked up after a sack. A bat flip is more like Magnus Carlsen leaping out of his chair and screaming, "CHECKMATE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!"

No I think it’s equivalent to Tiger pumping his fist after a birdie. That analogy fits within your above criteria as well and isn’t ridiculously exaggerated like your Carlsen example.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think that Tiger picture is different. That was him winning a major. Thats a bigger deal than Tim Anderson jacking a ball 400' to left field in April.

You’re arguing a difference in degree, not kind. Either it’s ok to celebrate or it’s humiliating to your opponents.
No, I'm not. Actually WINNING The Masters is a lot different than hitting a home run.

Now, if you hit a World Series walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th inning against of the league's premier closers, then we might have a comparison 8)

Again, difference in degree, not kind. The question is whether it’s ok to celebrate. None of us should be declaring ourselves the arbiters of WHEN it’s ok.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

Here is something we can all agree on.

It's bullshit that Tim Anderson was kicked out of that game. It's inexplicable that he is suspended one game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:41 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Here is something we can all agree on.

It's bullshit that Tim Anderson was kicked out of that game. It's inexplicable that he is suspended one game.

I didn’t even see he was suspended. That’s fucking outrageous. Fuck MLB.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

It's come out basically over the last ten minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Clearly.

I don't. I'm not sure why this Anderson thing is getting so much play. Guys flip their bats or stand in the box and watch all the time. I hardly even notice it.

But I'll say one thing about your comparison to other sports. The other sports have much more physical contact. Intimidation and physicality are key to those games. That isn't the case with baseball. It's not about dominating another person physically. I understand a basketball player being pumped up after he dunks over a guy or blocks his shot or a football player being jacked up after a sack. A bat flip is more like Magnus Carlsen leaping out of his chair and screaming, "CHECKMATE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!"

No I think it’s equivalent to Tiger pumping his fist after a birdie. That analogy fits within your above criteria as well and isn’t ridiculously exaggerated like your Carlsen example.

Except Tiger isn't humiliating anyone except possibly the course designer who likely isn't present.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It's come out basically over the last ten minutes.

What? For how long? Did he do something that I didn't see, like bump the umpire?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Clearly.

Except Tiger isn't humiliating anyone except possibly the course designer who likely isn't present.

And neither is the baseball player! :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
Jeff Passan
(@JeffPassan)
White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson has been suspended for one game because of language used during the benches-clearing incident with Kansas City, sources familiar with situation tell ESPN. Brad Keller, who hit Anderson with a pitch, has been suspended for five games, per sources.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Clearly.

And neither is the baseball player! :lol:

Well, he is. I think you'd understand better if you were a pitcher standing on a mound in front of 20,000 people while some guy showed you up. Hell, you get furious when leash humiliates you with a one-liner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:53 pm 

:lol: well you know that’s not true. I think it’s clear pitchers are sensitive babies and you grew up around the sport so you’ve come to accept that as just part of the game. Shit happens in life. Sorry, I don’t believe in safe spaces and trigger warnings for coddled pitchers.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, he is. I think you'd understand better if you were a pitcher standing on a mound in front of 20,000 people while some guy showed you up. Hell, you get furious when leash humiliates you with a one-liner.

Juiced wrote:
There isn't 20,000 at a Sox game! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
:lol: well you know that’s not true. I think it’s clear pitchers are sensitive babies and you grew up around the sport so you’ve come to accept that as just part of the game. Shit happens in life. Sorry, I don’t believe in safe spaces and trigger warnings for coddled pitchers.

I don't know why you're focusing on the pitchers being babies. Batters get angry too and slide into second spikes high. I don't think a pitcher should show up a batter by stalking around the mound or skypointing like a six year old who struck out a guy for the first time either. But whatever. It is what it is. And again, I really don't care. I just don't find it entertaining. I don't think it's "cool" that Bryce Harper poses after a homer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you'd think a bat would "slip" out of your hands once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:06 pm 

Soooooooo White Sox bat flipping got the most action on the Bernstein page in a few years. Would have lost money on that.

Not a big baseball fan, so no opinion either way.

Reading through this thread did Bernstein really say, "Right side of history." He might be the biggest virtue signaler hypocrite in Chicago sports talk history.
Benefits from extreme white privileged, does the same for his family, yet has every talking point/retweet of the far left.

I am a moderate liberal(we exist) and nothing is more frustrating than people like Dan. Usually they are 30 years younger than him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

cookie23 wrote:
Not a big baseball fan, so no opinion either way.
Just stop there next time then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Some of you are honestly to dumb to breathe.
Take too breaths before you post, Mike.

I agree Frank. Nothing more funny in these serious board times than the old misspell gotcha.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't know why you're focusing on the pitchers being babies. Batters get angry too and slide into second spikes high. I don't think a pitcher should show up a batter by stalking around the mound or skypointing like a six year old who struck out a guy for the first time either. But whatever. It is what it is. And again, I really don't care. I just don't find it entertaining. I don't think it's "cool" that Bryce Harper poses after a homer.

Here’s the thing, I agree with your last two sentences. I don’t really care either. That’s why I don’t have a problem with them doing it. It simply doesn’t phase me one way or the other. I think it’s clear it bothers you. You’re comparing it to running around the bases bare assed for fucks sake :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think that Tiger picture is different. That was him winning a major. Thats a bigger deal than Tim Anderson jacking a ball 400' to left field in April.

You’re arguing a difference in degree, not kind. Either it’s ok to celebrate or it’s humiliating to your opponents.
No, I'm not. Actually WINNING The Masters is a lot different than hitting a home run.

Now, if you hit a World Series walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th inning against of the league's premier closers, then we might have a comparison 8)

Again, difference in degree, not kind. The question is whether it’s ok to celebrate. None of us should be declaring ourselves the arbiters of WHEN it’s ok.

Really, the question is the form of celebration, which then leads to all these "cultural" ancillaries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Really, the question is the form of celebration, which then leads to all these "cultural" ancillaries

Well, I think the "cultural" aspects narrative is just something these "woke" websites like Deadspin (and dan bernstein) have promoted and overplayed. And I think it's a form of racism in itself, sort of a cousin to the "noble savage" archetype, in this case the "joyful Latino ballplayer". There are plenty of black and Latino players who put their heads down and run to first and plenty of white players who stand in the box, flip their bats, and/or strut.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I want to see Moncada do the "All the Single Ladies" Beyonce dance before he takes his trot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:14 pm 

Look at noted anti-fun stodgy old white guy baseball purist Joe Maddon thoughts on it

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm 

Is Joe Maddon not an old white guy? :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I honestly haven’t cared about Maddon’s thoughts on anything after the Schwarbwr lead off experiment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
For all the back and forth in this thread, it actually seems like most everyone who posted agrees more than they disagree. It's not terribly important if players are bat flipping or not, it probably shouldn't be banned, and giving up a home run is not a good reason for drilling a guy the next time he comes to the plate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
It is perfectly acceptable for the batter to be happy just as it is perfectly acceptable for the pitcher to be not be happy.

Neither would be happy when the umpire does histrionics when calling a ball, strike or out.

Ump at my son's high school game did a Macho Man thing after every strike..."OOOOOOOOOOHHH Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Well, I think the "cultural" aspects narrative is just something these "woke" websites like Deadspin (and dan bernstein) have promoted and overplayed. And I think it's a form of racism in itself, sort of a cousin to the "noble savage" archetype, in this case the "joyful Latino ballplayer". There are plenty of black and Latino players who put their heads down and run to first and plenty of white players who stand in the box, flip their bats, and/or strut.

of course that's true

The feeble minded sports talker thought they had carved out some kind of powerful argument

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:20 am 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It is perfectly acceptable for the batter to be happy just as it is perfectly acceptable for the pitcher to be not be happy.

Neither would be happy when the umpire does histrionics when calling a ball, strike or out.

Ump at my son's high school game did a Macho Man thing after every strike..."OOOOOOOOOOHHH Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

High school umps are a sometimes fun but definitely eclectic lot.

Always check the water bottle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next