It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[I'm not getting into that argument. I'm just stating why some people think it's better to have Jerry Krause build a team around you than it is to call up your friends and do it yourself.

From an overall league perspective its a hell of a lot more compelling if teams, theoretically, through skill, luck, money and other variables, build a championship team.

Determining the next championship by which beach Giannis prefers is not compelling.

Why do you feel that way? What difference does it make how a team was assembled?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[I'm not getting into that argument. I'm just stating why some people think it's better to have Jerry Krause build a team around you than it is to call up your friends and do it yourself.

From an overall league perspective its a hell of a lot more compelling if teams, theoretically, through skill, luck, money and other variables, build a championship team.

Determining the next championship by which beach Giannis prefers is not compelling.

Why do you feel that way? What difference does it make how a team was assembled?

FavreFan wrote:
the answer to that has nothing to do with Jordan vs LeBron and everything to do with people not liking non-competitive superstars taking the path of least resistance to an NBA title.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
C'mon JOrr. It's completely different to have Krause draft players than it would have been for Barkley, Jordan, and Ewing to conspire behind closed doors to all sign with the same team.

What if they didn't have GMs as savvy as Krause? Barkley probably wishes he became his own GM rather than trust Philly's front office.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:09 pm 

It's also somewhat incorrect to call the Bulls a super team. Besides Pippen he didn't even play with another all star on the title teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[

Beside the obvious inherent interest in following drafts and salary caps and trades and player development over time, it leaves out about 75% of the league ever having a shot at a championship.

Look, nobody is ever going to Minneapolis. Sorry Minny your team is just a jabroni until the conference finals start and basketball games mean anything.

How is that compelling?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's a position Bulls fans take to support Jordan being better than LeBron.

Jordan's resume takes care of that on it's own.

I'm not getting into that argument. I'm just stating why some people think it's better to have Jerry Krause build a team around you than it is to call up your friends and do it yourself.

Right and the answer to that has nothing to do with Jordan vs LeBron and everything to do with people not liking non-competitive superstars taking the path of least resistance to an NBA title. Durant's move to GS had nothing to do with Michael Jordan and he caught even more flak for it than LeBron did when he left Cleveland to join two other HOFers in Miami.

I don't think anyone should catch flak for it though. What you said above reminds me of when someone said Jordan makes the players around him better and Barkley asked, "Why does Michael get to make Scottie and Horace better and I have to make Hersey and Manute better?" There are scenarios where we could be talking about Jordan having never won a title. Does it make him a better or worse player because Jerry Krause was a better GM than Gene Shue?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[

Beside the obvious inherent interest in following drafts and salary caps and trades and player development over time, it leaves out about 75% of the league ever having a shot at a championship.

Look, nobody is ever going to Minneapolis. Sorry Minny your team is just a jabroni until the conference finals start and basketball games mean anything.

How is that compelling?

That's a fair point. But it's not really what we're talking about here. The discussion is about whether a player should be seen a less because he participated in putting together his winning team.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's a fair point. But it's not really what we're talking about here. The discussion is about whether a player should be seen a less because he participated in putting together his winning team.

Oh, I dunno. Not necessarily but that Heat team was kind of a sham if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's a position Bulls fans take to support Jordan being better than LeBron.

Jordan's resume takes care of that on it's own.

I'm not getting into that argument. I'm just stating why some people think it's better to have Jerry Krause build a team around you than it is to call up your friends and do it yourself.

Right and the answer to that has nothing to do with Jordan vs LeBron and everything to do with people not liking non-competitive superstars taking the path of least resistance to an NBA title. Durant's move to GS had nothing to do with Michael Jordan and he caught even more flak for it than LeBron did when he left Cleveland to join two other HOFers in Miami.

I don't think anyone should catch flak for it though. What you said above reminds me of when someone said Jordan makes the players around him better and Barkley asked, "Why does Michael get to make Scottie and Horace better and I have to make Hersey and Manute better?" There are scenarios where we could be talking about Jordan having never won a title. Does it make him a better or worse player because Jerry Krause was a better GM than Gene Shue?

We could just talk about what actually happened in their careers but LeBron is far behind in that case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
We could just talk about what actually happened in their careers but LeBron is far behind in that case.

Opinions vary. But I have no interest in that discussion anyway. And it isn't the point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There are scenarios where we could be talking about Jordan having never won a title.

Not really. I can't think of a single scenario outside of injury that would be the case. Look all throughout NBA history, go as far back in time as you want or as recent as you want. The best player in the league during a given stretch of years gets a title every single time. Every time. I know you believe that NBA fan culture dictates that whoever has the most rings is the best player but in reality it's the other way around - the best players get, and earn, their rings.

There was never going to be an NBA universe that existed where Jordan played a full career and never won a ring. It's never happened before. This isn't baseball or football. The inherent nature of basketball as a sport means the best player in the world can carry his team to a championship in ways that can't happen in baseball, football, and hockey (maybe hockey goalies qualify, don't know or care really).

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Opinions vary. But I have no interest in that discussion anyway. And it isn't the point.

Jordan's teams were much better. So take out the discussion about picking your own team or being lucky. Jordan wins by a large margin anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 pm 

Lebron earned that Cavs title. that was all on him. The Heat ones not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[

How is that compelling?

FF's precious Duncan put together his own team when he rostered himself on SA after flirting with other teams.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Brick trying to take it there, but no one wants to play.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Praise be to basketball analytics for finding out guys who shoot 3s like free throws are efficient. I'm sure Phil Jackson never thought to bring in guys with a 50 foot range.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:43 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

No one is going to argue LeBron vs Jordan in terms of team accomplishments as a LeBron fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm 

I think the biggest revelation here is people are opposed to agency. If you're drafted into a crap organization with an incompetent GM you must not look out for your best interests lest you get torched by the "do it the right way" crowd, which is really just pro-GM/management propaganda.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

No one is going to argue LeBron vs Jordan in terms of team accomplishments as a LeBron fan.

Never doubt the inefficiency of the CFMB debate squad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:46 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I think the biggest revelation here is people are opposed to agency. If you're drafted into a crap organization with an incompetent GM you must not look out for your best interests lest you get torched by the "do it the right way" crowd, which is really just pro-GM/management propaganda.

If that's what you think it's because you deliberately ignored the reasons Hatchet and I provided.

And, once again, that excuse doesn't work with LeBron - he's ditched his teams 3 times now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

That seems like a dumb argument for dumb people

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

There's nothing to argue there. LBJ is more talented than Kobe and MJ. Less successful. But we've discussed this at length. In general LBJ has done enough team wise and individually to validate all the immense hype he received starting his sophomore year in high school.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:49 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

So why isn't Durant as good as LeBron? Best player on the best teams since the Jordan Bulls.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

There's nothing to argue there. LBJ is more talented than Kobe and MJ. Less successful. But we've discussed this at length. In general LBJ has done enough team wise and individually to validate all the immense hype he received starting his sophomore year in high school.

Your last sentence is true but there's nothing in their respective resumes to suggest LeBron is more talented than Michael Jordan. That's because he isn't/wasn't.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There are scenarios where we could be talking about Jordan having never won a title.

Not really. I can't think of a single scenario outside of injury that would be the case. Look all throughout NBA history, go as far back in time as you want or as recent as you want. The best player in the league during a given stretch of years gets a title every single time. Every time. I know you believe that NBA fan culture dictates that whoever has the most rings is the best player but in reality it's the other way around - the best players get, and earn, their rings.

There was never going to be an NBA universe that existed where Jordan played a full career and never won a ring. It's never happened before. This isn't baseball or football. The inherent nature of basketball as a sport means the best player in the world can carry his team to a championship in ways that can't happen in baseball, football, and hockey (maybe hockey goalies qualify, don't know or care really).

That's a chicken/egg argument that can't be won.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No, it's not. Tell me who the best player in the world was that didn't get a title. You can't do it. That settles the argument.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No, it's not. Tell me who the best player in the world was that didn't get a title. You can't do it. That settles the argument.

Arvydas Sabonis?

j/k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:01 pm 

The 1993 NBA Finals are a good example of this, and it's one of the examples we can use historically to show that there is no chicken/egg argument. That Suns team was every bit as good as that Bulls team by any criteria you wish to use. Except the Bulls had the better player and everyone knew it. Shockingly enough, the Bulls won. If Charles Barkley was as good as Michael Jordan than he would have gotten at least one ring and that silly quote JORR posted wouldn't exist. But he wasn't as good as MJ, and even he acknowledges that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:01 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It's funny to me how often Dan is wrong on the NBA.

Kobe won't be remembered as the Last of the Great Inefficients (this isn't even a thing). He's going to mainly be remembered as the closest thing we've had to Michael Jordan and the last NBA superstar that didn't try to create a Superteam.

Is there a difference between creating a super team and being drafted into one?

Of course.

yep

I think Lebron is diminished by having to chase other people rather than them coming to him.

I don't think it matters. Jordan benefitting from Pippen's growth into a star was due to pure luck. LBJ did not benefit from the same luck so he sought out his own Pippen.

Pippen's growth into a star is directly relatable to being on the same team as Jordan and not pure luck.

Everyone who joined the Bulls became a better player, from the Judd Buechelers to the Scottie Pippens. That is part of Jordans greatness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:03 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It's funny to me how often Dan is wrong on the NBA.

Kobe won't be remembered as the Last of the Great Inefficients (this isn't even a thing). He's going to mainly be remembered as the closest thing we've had to Michael Jordan and the last NBA superstar that didn't try to create a Superteam.

Is there a difference between creating a super team and being drafted into one?

Of course.

yep

I think Lebron is diminished by having to chase other people rather than them coming to him.

I don't think it matters. Jordan benefitting from Pippen's growth into a star was due to pure luck. LBJ did not benefit from the same luck so he sought out his own Pippen.

I don't think it matters either. And I never understood the argument that it does. Actually, I do understand the argument. It's a position Bulls fans take to support Jordan being better than LeBron.

Big Bad Lebron, King James assembled a team that wasn't even his team when it was assembled. Wade was the alpha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next