It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[I'm not getting into that argument. I'm just stating why some people think it's better to have Jerry Krause build a team around you than it is to call up your friends and do it yourself.

From an overall league perspective its a hell of a lot more compelling if teams, theoretically, through skill, luck, money and other variables, build a championship team.

Determining the next championship by which beach Giannis prefers is not compelling.

Why do you feel that way? What difference does it make how a team was assembled?

You a big US Olympic team fan?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Big Bad Lebron, King James assembled a team that wasn't even his team when it was assembled. Wade was the alpha.

Also, if you're going to literally handpick your team and teammates for a decade AND you're the greatest player ever - you probably should be able to do better than 3-6 in the NBA Finals.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm 

It also should be pointed out that after Miami, LeBron took it up a notch by using his control of a sports agency to further stack the deck in his favor. He signed up players to go to or stay with his teams. The Cavs were in large part hamstrung by contracts they had to give to clients. He then went to LA and leveraged that to get Davis.

He gets to own part of the bad GM moves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[I'm not getting into that argument. I'm just stating why some people think it's better to have Jerry Krause build a team around you than it is to call up your friends and do it yourself.

From an overall league perspective its a hell of a lot more compelling if teams, theoretically, through skill, luck, money and other variables, build a championship team.

Determining the next championship by which beach Giannis prefers is not compelling.

Why do you feel that way? What difference does it make how a team was assembled?

The Dream Team?

The best that ever was, the best that ever will be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:11 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I think the biggest revelation here is people are opposed to agency. If you're drafted into a crap organization with an incompetent GM you must not look out for your best interests lest you get torched by the "do it the right way" crowd, which is really just pro-GM/management propaganda.

I'd think Lebron was less of a bitch if the players had come to him.

No one ever thinks of Wade being diminished.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
good dolphin wrote:
Big Bad Lebron, King James assembled a team that wasn't even his team when it was assembled. Wade was the alpha.

Well... The first year it was a battle to see who was alpha.

Then after they lost in Finals Dwade told Lebron it’s your team.

Source: David Fizdale on the Jump who witnessed it first hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It also should be pointed out that after Miami, LeBron took it up a notch by using his control of a sports agency to further stack the deck in his favor. He signed up players to go to or stay with his teams. The Cavs were in large part hamstrung by contracts they had to give to clients. He then went to LA and leveraged that to get Davis.

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Also, if you're going to literally handpick your team and teammates for a decade AND you're the greatest player ever - you probably should be able to do better than 3-6 in the NBA Finals.

It's really just about denigrating LeBron. I rest my case.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The Dream Team?

Mr. The Game Isn't Enjoyable To Watch loved US v. Angola

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I always forget about that but that's true. You can't blame David Griffin for Tristan Thompson's $80 million contract.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You never had a case to rest my friend, and that doesn't really make sense as a response to what I posted.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Here's an advanced stat for these people who think WAR and all that shit is the end-all of baseball. Mike Trout career playoff wins: zero.

As for the NBA, the issue is the regular season is irrelevant. Nobody tries. The NFL preseason has more intensity than the NBA regular season. Golden State didn't pound the rest of the league because they "cracked the code", they simply had three of the ten best players in the association while only three or four other teams were even trying to be meaningfully competitive.

There is an idea that the worst thing you can be in pro sports is good. It's great to be great, but if you cant be great then you may as well be awful. The worst part of this idea is that its grounded in truth and the leagues need to step in to stop it. If everyone in baseball and basketball were trying to win the title every year these advanced stats would be forgotten overnight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The Dream Team?

Mr. The Game Isn't Enjoyable To Watch loved US v. Angola

I loved when Barkley knocked that starving African to the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You never had a case to rest my friend, and that doesn't really make sense as a response to what I posted.

The whole, "Oh he couldn't win on his own" thing is just a bullshit narrative to bash LeBron. To say it isn't is nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I wasn't denigrating LeBron any more than pointing out that Krause was good is denigrating Jordan.

If the argument is that LeBron had to keep jumping to different teams because every GM was incompetent then it is fair to point out that not only did LeBron have the power as the star player to decide who his teammates were but he had even more power to get and hand out contracts based on the fact that he was basically in charge of his own sports agent business.

As I said though, I'd be fine if we accepted that LeBron and Jordan both did what was best to help them win games and titles. One was still far more successful at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You say you are an old school guy so you can appreciate this argument: I can and would argue that the league was better when players hated their opponents rather than befriending them for future collaboration.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The whole, "Oh he couldn't win on his own" thing is just a bullshit narrative to bash LeBron. To say it isn't is nonsense.

When did I say that about LeBron? It seems like you're a little turned around in this thread right now. My argument - the one you think can't be won or proven - is that LeBron CAN win on his own(on his own being relative obviously). He showed he could in 2016. It's why a lot of us lost respect for him when he took the easy way out.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It is a counter to the idea that Jordan was "lucky" to have a competent GM. That's all it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It may be one facet of the argument but it isn't bullshit. Lebron knew it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The Dream Team?

They were inefficient.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
I think the biggest revelation here is people are opposed to agency. If you're drafted into a crap organization with an incompetent GM you must not look out for your best interests lest you get torched by the "do it the right way" crowd, which is really just pro-GM/management propaganda.

I'd think Lebron was less of a patriot if the players had come to him.

No one ever thinks of Wade being diminished.

To hell with Wade and his "reputation".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It is a counter to the idea that Jordan was "lucky" to have a competent GM. That's all it is.

He was lucky, and that's not a knock on him. It's reality - you need a good team to win basketball games. The GM staffs the team. He benefitted from Krause hitting on picks and making trades just as Krause benefitted from having a transcendent talent like Jordan on the team. It's symbiotic. Your argument is like trying to say mark Zuckerberg didn't benefit from the existence of the internet.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
FavreFan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
"The NBA has evolved, and the objective truths of efficency cannot be denied."

Coby White didn't get the memo

Donovan Mitchell either

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:50 pm 

312player wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
"The NBA has evolved, and the objective truths of efficency cannot be denied."

Coby White didn't get the memo

Donovan Mitchell either

Lol. Might want to check again. You lost the Mitchell/Tatum debate.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'm still taking Tatum, he's barely scratched the surface and he's a putting up 21 a game and playing D..