It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uneasy Feeling
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Anyone else dislike the last few days how on this show and also Holmes that player values is being discussed? I suppose it is all coming from the Mookie Betts trade and the value or perceived value to the Red Sox and Dodgers is calculated and discussed.

I am not one to dismiss the metrics stuff completely but all of the sudden we are bombarded with this new value thing where they can tell you Bryant is worth $70M to the Cubs this year and Betts and other players this and that. As always the new buzzword is biblical to Bernsie and his puppet and certainly being beat to death. Anyone else have strong takes on this?

Also be warned Bernsie said it is Pecota day.

Post subject: Re: Uneasy Feeling
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
You'd have to pay me to listen to Larry or Bernstein. Why punish your ears?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am 

haven't listened to a minute. Are they taking the $/WAR calculation?

value to the organization is different than value to the team. The Phillies organization was reported to have more than justified the cost of Harper's contract last year in their return.

I would think Bernstein is most concerned for the corporation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I don’t even consider listening to their show. I did enjoy Parko and Spiegel discussing the trade in hour 1 yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:24 am 

Mike you clearly hate Bernstein. Why are you even listening lol

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I get that if Boston and the Cubs had to obtain Betts' and Bryant's services on the open market, they would pay a lot more than what they were paying. However, yesterday they were talking like Boston's and the Cubs' bottom line was actually increased by the player's value. I don't think that's how it works. If it did work that way there would have to be a subset of fans that were only interacting with the team to see Betts or Bryant, I don't think that's true of many fans. I know there are people who will not interact with a team if they're out of contention, but I don't think losing Betts or Bryant by themselves, is enough to drop either team out of contention.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:27 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
I get that if Boston and the Cubs had to obtain Betts' and Bryant's services on the open market, they would pay a lot more than what they were paying. However, yesterday they were talking like Boston's and the Cubs' bottom line was actually increased by the player's value. I don't think that's how it works. If it did work that way there would have to be a subset of fans that were only interacting with the team to see Betts or Bryant, I don't think that's true of many fans. I know there are people who will not interact with a team if they're out of contention, but I don't think losing Betts or Bryant by themselves, is enough to drop either team out of contention.

Right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:27 am 

RFDC wrote:
Mike you clearly hate Bernstein. Why are you even listening lol

That is such a long story. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
DAC wrote:
I don’t even consider listening to their show. I did enjoy Parko and Spiegel discussing the trade in hour 1 yesterday.

I thought Parkins was over-the-top in his disdain for the trade, saying it was terrible for the game, the luxury tax is terrible for the game, etc. He was blown away that most fans in Boston apparently support the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
yeah, this was covered in a different thread. I strongly disagree with Parkins in this. The luxury tax is a good thing Parity is a good thing. Boston overspent their hand. Boo Hoo.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
More annoying than how these three attempt to define and defend player value is how they continually misconstrue cubs fans “turning on players and siding with billionaires.”

That’s not the issue. Sure a certain segment of fans have quote un quote turned on KB but Bernstein and crew always seem to forget that callers, texters, and twitter do not represent the majority of a fan base.

Also, fans that are in favor of trading KB don’t hate him. It’s possible such fans recognize the front office and KB aren’t capable of reaching a long terms deal and the current roster isn’t good enough so flip him to try and maximize his value. It’s not ideal. But it is what it is. It is certainly plausible to flip a top25 player and be in a WS a year or two later if all is executed well.

Fans aren’t siding with the owner, or hating on KB, they are playing armchair GM and looking out for their own interests as a fan. Fuck it’s all make believe anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Crick Ramp wrote:
Bernstein and crew always seem to forget that callers, texters, and twitter do not represent the majority of a fan base.
That's right. Women are 46% of that.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
More annoying than how these three attempt to define and defend player value is how they continually misconstrue cubs fans “turning on players and siding with billionaires.”

Yes, I forgot to specifically mention this. Annoying as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
DAC wrote:

Was enjoyable when Morosi destroyed them over not being able to keep Betts because of the luxury tax. Betts not wanting to re-sign, plus the Sale and Eovaldi contracts resulted in the trade. Of course they basically ignored his points once the segment was done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
He was blown away that most fans in Boston apparently support the trade.

Well, I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Bernstein and crew always seem to forget that callers, texters, and twitter do not represent the majority of a fan base.
That's right. Women are 46% of that.

Meaning?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
This group of Score shows and hosts is the weakest in the stations history. Is there one show that a majority of posters here listen to regularly, and enjoy? Not one. Mac is the only host that most posters all like, but he is being utterly wasted saddled with Parkins.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:13 pm 

Mac not in again today. Not sure what is up but here we go again?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
pittmike wrote:
Mac not in again today. Not sure what is up but here we go again?

Beardown vibe. Strong take.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
vitoscotti wrote:
This group of Score shows and hosts is the weakest in the stations history. Is there one show that a majority of posters here listen to regularly, and enjoy? Not one. Mac is the only host that most posters all like, but he is being utterly wasted saddled with Parkins.

Could not agree more, even when you scroll through the podcast list of all the shows there is maybe an hour a day that is somewhat interesting. If they would have launched the station with this current group it wouldn't have lasted six months. Could have Pappy and Uncle Terry do a show from home and it would be more entertaining than listening to anything else on the station.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Clawmaster wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Could not agree more, even when you scroll through the podcast list of all the shows there is maybe an hour a day that is somewhat interesting. If they would have launched the station with this current group it wouldn't have lasted six months. Could have Pappy and Uncle Terry do a show from home and it would be more entertaining than listening to anything else on the station.

I have to agree.
As bad as North got....and it was bad, I'd much rather hear North and Terry from retirement villages than "REALLY. SMART. RADIO". That doesn't mean it would be good....just shows how awful shows have become.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:16 am 

For years, the Score did a terrible job of developing new talent. Drew Hayes came in, insisted that fill-in spots could only go to old newspapermen, and left, then the whole era of 25-year-olds trying to be Dan Bernstein was a total dead spot. Kevin Dziepak probably has the brightest future of anyone whose name isn't on the schedule, but we're talking AM radio here, so that's relative.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Curious Hair wrote:
For years, the Score did a terrible job of developing new talent. Drew Hayes came in, insisted that fill-in spots could only go to old newspapermen, and left, then the whole era of 25-year-olds trying to be Dan Bernstein was a total dead spot. Kevin Dziepak probably has the brightest future of anyone whose name isn't on the schedule, but we're talking AM radio here, so that's relative.

Kevin Dziepak is the most polished speaker of the wannabes. It's amazing how unskilled verbally most of the others are.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:47 pm 

He's good at doing the whole culture-war act online, but he's able to keep his cool and keep trolling, unlike Julie, who melts down after minimal resistance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
They've tried several formulas over the years. Ex-athletes with some success (North and Jiggs), but mostly failures (Bull and the Bear and Hamp and Holmes). Newspaper guys, which has been successful for the most part, but was likely due to the name recognition sports writers used to have when people actually read newspapers. Then finally, the current, "Thinking fans", approach which has unfortunately taken over the station, this targets a very small portion of the potential casual sports fan audience and makes the station sound more like a series of elongated podcasts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
Hub sucks and is very whispery....