It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Hawkeyefan wrote:
Bernstein and Rosner might have been interesting..
Any chance Rosner would ever want to come back to the score if given a chance?.. Did they ever name a new Saturday scorecard golf host?

Rozner was the most frequent fill in host in afternoons the year Boers was sick. Him and Bernstein together got old in a matter of months.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Hawkeyefan wrote:
Bernstein and Rosner might have been interesting..
Any chance Rosner would ever want to come back to the score if given a chance?.. Did they ever name a new Saturday scorecard golf host?

Rozner was the most frequent fill in host in afternoons the year Boers was sick. Him and Bernstein together got old in a matter of months.

Yeah, they were in lockstep on just about every issue, most notably ripping callers over "McGowan!" and "The Cubs told you exactly what they were going to do!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I think it's pretty clear that Spiegs will be what he will be. Easily offended. He's trying to laugh it off these days, and beat people to the punch on it, but it sure would be uncomfortable radio. I would tune in.

But isn't he almost out of contract?

They need a younger Terry Boers. Someone with a good to zany sense of humor, quick on their feet, who wouldn't parrot Dan as he did at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:50 am 

Pretty much agree.
McKnight wasn't working and it is a better show without him.
Dan has been "more likable" since Boars left.
He's a good interviewer but Parkins is far and away the best on the station.
I don't know who could work with Dan. Since we agree it's a better show, why not leave him solo for now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
heard two podcasts of Bernstein interviews this week

-Sahadev Sharma on some food poll The Athletic is doing

-A Trib business reporter on the craft beer industry

(just what the board wants: GUYS BEING DUDES)

they were good, and nice that he didn't have to cede time to McDoink sighing and emPHAsizing his way through a question that Dan would be better asking anyway

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jesus Fucking Christ.....at what point EVER was Spiegel an interesting or entertaining radio personality. The answer is NEVER. Can we please just stop trying to make him something he's not?

He's perfectly fine as the fill-in, weekend, and super-sub he is now. He will not make Bernstein's show any better. He will not help Mac find his fastball and enjoy radio again. He will not make Parkins any better than he already is.

I respect his singing ability. I think Tributosaurus is a really cool idea for a cover band and some day will go so him. I have nothing against him personally or professionally....I just don't find him entertaining. Entertaining is the one thing desperately needed across all of the WSCR shows.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I couldn't disagree more. Spiegs is solid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Reared on the Score wrote:
heard two podcasts of Bernstein interviews this week

-Sahadev Sharma on some food poll The Athletic is doing

-A Trib business reporter on the craft beer industry

(just what the board wants: GUYS BEING DUDES)

they were good, and nice that he didn't have to cede time to McDoink sighing and emPHAsizing his way through a question that Dan would be better asking anyway

Bernstein and McKnight are a mirror image of one another. McKnight seems like a decent guy, and I think I would enjoy hanging out with him, but he's bad at radio. Bernstein has become a phony, and I don't think I would enjoy hanging out with him, but he is good at his job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm sure McKnight's not a bad guy, but everyone around him insisting upon his earth-shattering intelligence was a pretty bad bit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
GoldenJet wrote:

We're in a small club.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Too gay for sportsradio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

We're in a small club.

Yeap. Spiegel should definitely have a regular slot on the Score.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
DAC wrote:
Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

We're in a small club.

He blew it being a douche to golden boy Parkins

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:57 pm 

Darkside wrote:
DAC wrote:
Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

We're in a small club.

He blew it being a douche to golden boy Parkins

Their show was very solid at the end- better than Mac and Parkins IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Longtime ESPN1000 and Score listener....my thoughts

Bernstein was extremely talented back in early 2000s with Boers. The best show the Score has ever had in my opinion. North was the bigger name, but he was just such a meatball at the time and annoying.

Then Bernstein just became more and more nasty and the talk down to caller schtick got old....Then PSU happen, then Trump, he just continued to go downhill

He could have been national and fun, but the nastiness he chose kept him local for the schtick just was over the top.

McKnight seems like a very good person, but he was horrible for radio. I wish im well.

I would say Kap is the by far the most important guy in town. His radio show is horrible, but STL is big and Kap is eveywhwere.

Waddle and Silvy have by far the best guests each week with Big Cat, Barkely sometimes, I mean each week they get some really good guests. Sivly is good, Waddle not so much.

I honestly think right now best pair would be Parkins and Silvy.

They are the two best in Chicago radio right now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
cookie23 wrote:

Bernstein was extremely talented back in early 2000s with Boers. The best show the Score has ever had in my opinion. North was the bigger name, but he was just such a meatball at the time and annoying.

Then Bernstein just became more and more nasty and the talk down to caller schtick got old....Then PSU happen, then Trump, he just continued to go downhill

He could have been national and fun, but the nastiness he chose kept him local for the schtick just was over the top.

McKnight seems like a very good person, but he was horrible for radio. I wish im well.

I would say Kap is the by far the most important guy in town. His radio show is horrible, but STL is big and Kap is eveywhwere.

Waddle and Silvy have by far the best guests each week with Big Cat, Barkely sometimes, I mean each week they get some really good guests. Sivly is good, Waddle not so much.

I was on board til you started in on your ESPN thoughts...I used to enjoy W/S but somewhere along the line, Silvy’s whole approach and especially his sound became unlistenable for me. The way to dude speaks is just fucking atrocious. Life LAAAAHHHHKK.

Kap is the best spot there is for Cubs talk. I’m. Fan of Kap. But I can’t imagine many non-cubs fans enjoy his work. Thank God, Jordan fucking Cornette is no longer around. He was worse than McDoink. And Eddie O is a cool enough guy but he can shove all non-hockey thoughts up his ass.

Your suggestion for a Parkins/Silvy pairing would be disastrous. The only cross station theoretical pairing that I’d be interested in would be Kap/Spiegs. A pairing that would probably make this board explode :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 am 

Crick Ramp wrote:
cookie23 wrote:

I was on board til you started in on your ESPN thoughts...I used to enjoy W/S but somewhere along the line, Silvy’s whole approach and especially his sound became unlistenable for me. The way to dude speaks is just fucking atrocious. Life LAAAAHHHHKK.

Kap is the best spot there is for Cubs talk. I’m. Fan of Kap. But I can’t imagine many non-cubs fans enjoy his work. Thank God, Jordan fucking Cornette is no longer around. He was worse than McDoink. And Eddie O is a cool enough guy but he can shove all non-hockey thoughts up his ass.

Your suggestion for a Parkins/Silvy pairing would be disastrous. The only cross station theoretical pairing that I’d be interested in would be Kap/Spiegs. A pairing that would probably make this board explode :lol:

A Speigel pairing with anyone would make the board explode.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:11 am 

What a thoughtful response. H..0m0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm 

Even jovial Coomer seemed like wtf when he's paired with Speigel calling Cubs games. Speigel's "Isn't it hard to hit that baseball"? Comer gave a stern disinterested "If it was easy everyone could do it Matty". You could cut the tension with a knife.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
SportsCentral Kap and Waddle were a good listen. No atrocious producers chiming in and no contrived morning zoo and afternoon chuckle hut nonsense to wade through. Plus, they talked like normal people instead of screaming DJ's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 am 

I don't hate Kap. He provides a professional type show with some inside information. However, that is balanced out by never giving an honest opinion about the players and management with whom he is looking to golf at some point that year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
Spiegs can talk baseball and can stand up to "little Dan" remember the whole..."you don't want to be on the wrong side of this" B.S? As he was teaching Mannelly the ropes?! :roll:

Bernstein never was funny...if you think he is....you must find Tyler Perry absolutely HILARIOUS!

He has pretended to "evolve" to save his ass...he's still an arrogant lying prick....just look at his Twitter TL. Oh the stories of the Bernstein household made up as rich as a certain redhead in Aurora.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 pm 

Dan has to stop using the expression “full throated.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 am 

Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

We're in a small club.

I was the original Speigal fan.

I've always liked his work with baseball. He disappointed when opportunities like Hit and Run didn't fit in with his rock and roll schedule. I also don't like his occasional sappy sentimentality. I still like his work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:53 am 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Dan has to stop using the expression “full throated.”

Dan loves jargon. He latches on to phrases like "landmark" "three technique" "mesh point" and rides them into the ground until the next phrase creeps into his consciousness. He would be perfect in the business world as a lackey talking about the 30,000 foot view of an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Crick Ramp wrote:
1. The station as a whole, and the 9-Noon slot in particular, is better now that Dan is solo.
2. Since his demotion from the drive time slot a few years back, he is more likeable.
3. When he’s engaged and not acting holier than thou he’s the best interviewer on the station.
4. If, and when, he gets paired with someone again, Spiegs would be the best choice

I agree with all of that, although I'd need to think about 4 a little more.

I used to need to turn him off at times during the end of B & B, but he's been so much better lately.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:02 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Jesus Fucking Christ.....at what point EVER was Spiegel an interesting or entertaining radio personality. The answer is NEVER. Can we please just stop trying to make him something he's not?

I find Spiegel entertaining and interesting and I have completely changed my tune on him over the last 5 years. There is excellent chemistry with him and either Mac or Parkins that makes for an enjoyable, easy-listening show. You state your opinions like they facts. They are not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:07 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
1. The station as a whole, and the 9-Noon slot in particular, is better now that Dan is solo.
2. Since his demotion from the drive time slot a few years back, he is more likeable.
3. When he’s engaged and not acting holier than thou he’s the best interviewer on the station.
4. If, and when, he gets paired with someone again, Spiegs would be the best choice

[/quote]

This is spot-on. The more I listen to Bernstein, his solo show is really growing on me. Today's first hour about the draft and his interview with Lombardi was very good. With a strong producer maybe that will stick. As a listener, I am happy to have two shows I listen to. Easier to find hours that have topics I want to hear about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Bernsteins mid day midway or whatever it was called was good today. He was giggling about bagpipe kid and it sounded like he was having fun doing what he does best... Really. Stupid. Radio.

Dan, do stupid radio. I know you're supposed to be some kind of intellectual or something but you're at your best being a goof. Damn man, remember when you did the James Brown drop show? I almost crashed my truck I was laughing so hard at that.

Forget Really. Important. Radio. Do Realy. Stupid. Radio.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Judging on him some of his recent comments from Tuesday or Wednesday's shows, he's in the extreme leftist camp that re-opening a state in any form is not based on scientific data, and, of course, racist in forcing lower income people to go back to work. According to Dan, states are NOT supposed to be re-opening. He is relying on data models that drastically overstated the number of hospital beds needed and deaths. Of course, there are other nuts on the opposite end who think that any restriction is an attack on our rights.

I think most Americans are clearly in the middle - we can't shut down the economy for 12-18 months while a vaccine is being developed, but can practice social distancing, and protect those most vulnerable (older and those with medical conditions).

Despite his rhetoric, most states, regardless of who is in charge will be re-opening in May, and by June. They are all looking at the same economic devastation that will be caused by an extended shut-down until there is a vaccine so I don't really believe this is even a political position that the leaders of states even disagree, even if people like Bernstein are making extreme arguments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next