It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 am 

pizza_Place: What??
BD wrote:
Judging on him some of his recent comments from Tuesday or Wednesday's shows, he's in the extreme leftist camp that re-opening a state in any form is not based on scientific data, and, of course, racist in forcing lower income people to go back to work. According to Dan, states are NOT supposed to be re-opening. He is relying on data models that drastically overstated the number of hospital beds needed and deaths. Of course, there are other nuts on the opposite end who think that any restriction is an attack on our rights.

I think most Americans are clearly in the middle - we can't shut down the economy for 12-18 months while a vaccine is being developed, but can practice social distancing, and protect those most vulnerable (older and those with medical conditions).

Despite his rhetoric, most states, regardless of who is in charge will be re-opening in May, and by June. They are all looking at the same economic devastation that will be caused by an extended shut-down until there is a vaccine so I don't really believe this is even a political position that the leaders of states even disagree, even if people like Bernstein are making extreme arguments.

Resume commerce. If business owners don't want to open, don't open. If people want to stay home, stay home. Everybody has been sufficiently educated. Now it's up to people to do what is in their best interest. It's not up to politicians to decide it. Supposedly we have inalienable rights. It still blows my mind that we are still having this argument over at .02 to .07 death rate. Where are we at now? 6 weeks of this martial law? It's beyond ridiculous. It's ludicrous. It's insane. It makes zero fucking sense. If Americans "are clearly in the middle", then I'm embarrassed of Americans.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Please do not equate Bernstein to the left. It is an insult to all of us liberals out there. Dan is on the far far left and isnt taken serious by anyone in town.

Science shows this is basically an impossible contract tracing because it is so contagious. I dont know how this became a left/right issue. Follow the science.

In Mid March it was prudent to stop everything, shelter in place while data was being collected. It has shown this is extremely bad to those are elderly with pre existing conditions and the obese with conditions as well.
I have not listened to Dan since going solo for I don't think it would be a good listen. Maybe it is.

But Dan's time has passed as a Chicago radio guy or realy any important Chicago media person.

Back in B&B in the early 2000s they were by far the best radio on.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:41 am 

Crick Ramp wrote:
1. The station as a whole, and the 9-Noon slot in particular, is better now that Dan is solo.
2. Since his demotion from the drive time slot a few years back, he is more likeable.
3. When he’s engaged and not acting holier than thou he’s the best interviewer on the station.
4. If, and when, he gets paired with someone again, Spiegs would be the best choice

This is the only one I agree with. Parkins is a horrible interviewer. His frat boy, stuff nose voice during interviews is PTFB. When I do keep it on the station for his interviews, I cringe at the way he frames his questions. He tries way too hard to sound hip or cool and comes off a douche.

Bernstein knows what he is and when he is not acting holier then thou, gives a great interview.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Bernstein was talking to Will Perdue about The Last Dance and brought up the trivia question about there only being two players who have won an MVP, NBA Title, and Gold Medal in the same year. The other person, besides Jordan, is Lebron. Dan said "Someone knew what they were doing. That had to rankle Jordan!" Perdue disagreed it would bother Jordan, and went on to add that that while LeBron is the better athlete, Jordan in the better basketball player and this show will make that clear.

Dan said the jumping around in the timeline was confusing. Perdue agreed, saying he could see how people who weren't here during the entire time Jordan was here and didn't follow the Bulls very closely would think that. He then gave the example of his wife having a hard time keeping everything straight. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:03 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
cookie23 wrote:
Dan is on the far far left

lol

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Dan said the jumping around in the timeline was confusing. Perdue agreed, saying he could see how people who weren't here during the entire time Jordan was here and didn't follow the Bulls very closely would think that.

I didn't attend Duke or Vanderbilt but the timeline seems very simple to me. Even without the actual timelines they show on screen to tell you exactly when things are occurring.

If it's not difficult for a guy who attended an agricultural school in Central Illinois to understand that they're alternating between the last championship season and the previous championship seasons in chronological order, a couple guys who attended the Harvards of the South should have no problem figuring it out.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I’ve never been a fan of flashbacks in movies and timeline jumping. Sometimes, it works great. But more times than not it is annoying. Just tell the story in a logical linear fashion.

Now you take Pulp Fiction and do it like that okay. But you’re also talking about one of the best movies of all time. Having some dad see flashbacks about his daughter as a toddler while he’s trying to free her from kidnappers....no thanks. Just play the story forward.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Dan said the jumping around in the timeline was confusing. Perdue agreed, saying he could see how people who weren't here during the entire time Jordan was here and didn't follow the Bulls very closely would think that.

I didn't attend Duke or Vanderbilt but the timeline seems very simple to me. Even without the actual timelines they show on screen to tell you exactly when things are occurring.

If it's not difficult for a guy who attended an agricultural school in Central Illinois to understand that they're alternating between the last championship season and the previous championship seasons in chronological order, a couple guys who attended the Harvards of the South should have no problem figuring it out.

I agree. I like the way they're doing it and the context it provides. I don't know if Perdue meant his reply to be a little insulting to Dan, but it was. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
I’ve never been a fan of flashbacks in movies and timeline jumping. Sometimes, it works great. But more times than not it is annoying. Just tell the story in a logical linear fashion.

Now you take Pulp Fiction and do it like that okay. But you’re also talking about one of the best movies of all time. Having some dad see flashbacks about his daughter as a toddler while he’s trying to free her from kidnappers....no thanks. Just play the story forward.

I think it's fine the way they've done it. The name of the show is The Last Dance. The focus is on that last season, 1997-98. The flashbacks show how we got to that point and they're all in chronological order. I don't see how anyone is confused, especially when they tell you exactly what month and year they're going to before they go there.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:36 am 

I am not confused, but the show is misnamed. There is a lot more about the lead up then the last season. They should have just called this the MJ show and moved on.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:07 pm 

I love they want the jump around and provide context for things that are happening in that last year. I think that part of it has been perfect. The music has been great too. I would like to see more behind the scenes footage, but that is a small complaint in an overall great series so far.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:10 pm 

It would have been more effective to start at the beginning and just go forward. The telling of the last season is all over the map.

The content is fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I've listening to the odd show here and there depending on the topic and Bernstein sounds so much better than when he was saddled with McKnight or Goff. No fucking around and being cute. He is sharp and concise. I can see myself listening to it more and more. It still would sound a little better with a competent producer chiming in. Dan Patrick-esque.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
cookie23 wrote:
Dan is on the far far left

lol

He is far left on twitter and radio. Not in everyday life.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 am 

Boers is going to be on with Bernstein in a few minutes. Dan said Terry wants to talk about something that has not been brought up yet. I know they always love it when a caller says that.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
Boers is going to be on with Bernstein in a few minutes. Dan said Terry wants to talk about something that has not been brought up yet. I know they always love it when a caller says that.

Ahhh ehhh umm eep yeah that Michael Jordan, errrr in point a fact , my guy said ... uhhh yeah bad guy

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
cookie23 wrote:
Please do not equate Bernstein to the left. It is an insult to all of us liberals out there. Dan is on the far far left and isnt taken serious by anyone in town.

Science shows this is basically an impossible contract tracing because it is so contagious. I dont know how this became a left/right issue. Follow the science.

In Mid March it was prudent to stop everything, shelter in place while data was being collected. It has shown this is extremely bad to those are elderly with pre existing conditions and the obese with conditions as well.
I have not listened to Dan since going solo for I don't think it would be a good listen. Maybe it is.

But Dan's time has passed as a Chicago radio guy or realy any important Chicago media person.

Back in B&B in the early 2000s they were by far the best radio on.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:05 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Ahhh ehhh umm eep yeah that Michael Jordan, errrr in point a fact , my guy said ... uhhh yeah bad guy

I'm not completely clear on what Boers' point was. He kept saying someone (Jordan?) was denying that certain things happened that are the real reason he doesn't like Isiah Thomas, such as Isiah and Magic freezing him out out at the All-Star Game. I think everyone is well aware that happened. I don't recall Jordan saying that didn't happen, but maybe I missed it.

He also said getting beaten up by the Pistons isn't the reason Jordan dislikes Thomas because it was Laimbeer knocking around Jordan, not Thomas. I don't recall people saying that's why Jordan doesn't like Thomas.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
man, I love Terry but that was a bit of a rough ride of an explanation.

It's totally possible that's why Jordan doesn't like Thomas. But then it doesn't explain why he gets along with Magic.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I think Jordan hates Isiah and most of the Pistons because they played a version of basketball that mixed with hockey and lacrosse.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
City of Fools wrote:
man, I love Terry but that was a bit of a rough ride of an explanation.

It's totally possible that's why Jordan doesn't like Thomas. But then it doesn't explain why he gets along with Magic.

Terry was saying that many are now walking back that it ever happened, but confirmed that Thomas was the main force behind freezing out Michael in the AS game, Magic played a small part by planning to have Gervin on the floor at the same time as Jordan. He went on to tell the story of overhearing two of Magic's guys talk about the plan while he was behind them in a crowded elevator at the Indy Hyatt on AS weekend. Great story.

When it came time to choose the Dream Team, Michael stuck it to IT by saying, if he plays I don't. MJ likes his revenge.

It was great to hear Terry, but you really have to follow the bouncing ball when listening to one of his stories. I love that old fucker.

"It's called the American dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
It was great to hear Terry period. But it reminded me that the show was always better when Dan drove it, and Terry provided the humor and cracked Dan up.

It's funny, all the best players became execs. But of Magic, Michael, Isaiah and Larry, you'd have to say Larry did the best with the Pacers.

To me, Jordan hates Isaiah because the dude is completely two faced. Mahorn and Laimbeer were bad guys and didn't pretend to be anything else (besides on the court) Isaiah reminds me of Kevin Johnson, who has also had the curtain pulled back on him.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Uncle Terry has always been cryptic when talking about certain players, he always leaves you thinking that there are some stories he could tell that would reveal the truth about the person, but he just can't do it on the air. Always liked the fact that he had different sports thoughts than everyone else, especially about baseball.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
Listened to the little racist, mysoginist, (insert superior complex here) for first time in months today. IS it possible that the 3rd largest market..... #1 sports station sound better than a fucking laptop mic? JFC!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
City of Fools wrote:
But it reminded me that the show was always better when Dan drove it.

I strongly agree with this portion of your post. B & B was always better when Boers was gone. While I did miss Terry in his 90's heyday, I don't get the Terry Boers love. I value coherency in a radio host, and he's just not very coherent.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Warren Newson wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
But it reminded me that the show was always better when Dan drove it.

I strongly agree with this portion of your post. B & B was always better when Boers was gone. While I did miss Terry in his 90's heyday, I don't get the Terry Boers love. I value coherency in a radio host, and he's just not very coherent.

It’s been a long time but HFC era Terry was great. The shock when I got back in radio range and they had broken that tandem was stunning.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

It’s been a long time but HFC era Terry was great. The shock when I got back in radio range and they had broken that tandem was stunning.

Yep, Mac and Terry in their prime, combined with WSCR not partnering up with teams, was the golden age.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I tuned in yesterday for the first time since the lineup changes, and couldn't handle more than 10 seconds of Dan's horrible audio quality. He's been doing the show from home for a couple weeks now, right? And with the virus outlook it appears he'll be home for at least a couple weeks more, making for at least a month or two of him doing the show from his house, and for some reason NOBODY in this talent-station management relationship will spring $500 or so to get him some decent audio equipment so he doesn't sound like shoveled shit THROUGH AN AUDIO-ONLY MEDIUM?!?!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I tuned in yesterday for the first time since the lineup changes, and couldn't handle more than 10 seconds of Dan's horrible audio quality. He's been doing the show from home for a couple weeks now, right? And with the virus outlook it appears he'll be home for at least a couple weeks more, making for at least a month or two of him doing the show from his house, and for some reason NOBODY in this talent-station management relationship will spring $500 or so to get him some decent audio equipment so he doesn't sound like shoveled shit THROUGH AN AUDIO-ONLY MEDIUM?!?!

Can barely notice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Surprised Bernstein didn't talk about the major problem in Trevor Bauer's painter analogy. Painters are paid for their finished product not the actual activity of them painting. The apartment owner will still have the newly painted apartments NEXT YEAR which is why the painters should not be paid less. Maybe the apartment owner should only paint the apartments he/she will rent. In the case of baseball, the value is the live entertainment not the product of the game being played. The owners will never recover the value from the lost revenue of these games this season unlike the apartment owner who will still have the product (painted apartments) after the year is over. Now, I am on the side of the players but Bauer's analogy is flawed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next