It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White People Records
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
PED era didn’t tarnish hallowed baseball records because “hallowed” is just another way of saying racism. That’s why weighted runs created exists.

-Dan Bernstein

Post subject: Re: White People Records
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Good to know that Pete Rose is beloved.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Pat Boone, Shaun Cassidy, New Kids on the Block?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:54 am 
1000 CLUB

I also heard him say Ruth's 60 HRs was the "White player record". Which was true at the time. He's right. But after 1947 several black players had a shot at that record. Banks, Mays and Aaron couldn't get it. And it didn't get broken until 1998. I mean after Maris got 61 but before that several black players had a shot at Ruth. Then nobody got Maris until 98.

He was saying this to dismiss the steroid era. He says he's changed his mind on that. That he doesn't care that it was broken with steroids.

I haven't changed my mind on that. And he's wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:13 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I also heard him say Ruth's 60 HRs was the "White player record". Which was true at the time. He's right. But after 1947 several black players had a shot at that record. Banks, Mays and Aaron couldn't get it.

He was saying this to dismiss the steroid era. He says he's changed his mind on that. That he doesn't care that it was broken with steroids..

A couple, tree tings:

- I don’t think he’s dismissing the steroid era. He was saying records are of and reflect their eras. Segregation, juiced players, now juiced baseballs. Of course he’s correct but still comes off full of shit. His POV wouldn’t be so bad, but he acts like since he’s done a 180 on the topic, anyone who hasn’t is an uninformed dumbass.

Also, extending his argument Banks, Mays et all not reaching 61 doesn’t validate Ruth’s 60; it PROVES Ruth wouldn’t have gotten 60 if he’d been facing black pitchers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:18 pm 

Hussra wrote:

Damn, Damn, DAMN!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:25 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:
I also heard him say Ruth's 60 HRs was the "White player record". Which was true at the time. He's right. But after 1947 several black players had a shot at that record. Banks, Mays and Aaron couldn't get it.

He was saying this to dismiss the steroid era. He says he's changed his mind on that. That he doesn't care that it was broken with steroids..

A couple, tree tings:

- I don’t think he’s dismissing the steroid era. He was saying records are of and reflect their eras. Segregation, juiced players, now juiced baseballs. Of course he’s correct but still comes off full of shit. His POV wouldn’t be so bad, but he acts like since he’s done a 180 on the topic, anyone who hasn’t is an uninformed dumbass.

Also, extending his argument Banks, Mays et all not reaching 61 doesn’t validate Ruth’s 60; it PROVES Ruth wouldn’t have gotten 60 if he’d been facing black pitchers.

I'm pretty sure Ruth would hammer black pitchers in the short porched Yankee Stadium. They don't call it "the house that Ruth built" for nothing. Maybe Maris being a Yankee was just a coincidence. Had nothing to do with being 300ft down the line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Damn, Damn, DAMN!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Crick Ramp wrote:
PED era didn’t tarnish hallowed baseball records because “hallowed” is just another way of saying racism. That’s why weighted runs created exists.

-Dan Bernstein

What the fuck does that even mean? I never listen to this guy because of stuff like this. He has to make shit up to make sure everyone knows he's SO SMART.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:54 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:

A couple, tree tings:

I'm pretty sure Ruth would hammer black pitchers in the short porched Yankee Stadium. They don't call it "the house that Ruth built" for nothing. Maybe Maris being a Yankee was just a coincidence. Had nothing to do with being 300ft down the line.

Less balls in play cuz black fire ballers would have struck him out more and black outfielders were faster and could jump higher and rob some of those short porch shots

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:54 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

-Dan Bernstein

What the fuck does that even mean? I never listen to this guy because of stuff like this. He has to make shit up to make sure everyone knows he's SO SMART.

:lol: :lol:

It’s almost like he’s saying the home run, from a historical perspective, is just meaningless because of all the extreme external factors, which is what WRC is supposed to normalize

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:

A couple, tree tings:

Less balls in play cuz black fire ballers would have struck him out more and black outfielders were faster and could jump higher and rob some of those short porch shots

Smokey Joe maybe. 95% of the talent was position players

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Crick Ramp wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:

A couple, tree tings:

:lol: :lol: Which would’ve been offset by the black tomato cans he would’ve faced and pushed their shit in .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:09 pm 

You’re not good at sarcasm are ya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

You act like all of Ruth's HRs were at that short porch at Yankee stadium. I'm sure he got some cheapies. But he also played half his games on the road for the love of God.

From what I remember of the old Yankee stadium, the allies and center field were huge. So he also had some taken away because of that.

I'm talking from what I remember from old videos and documentaries about Yankee stadium. Like from the 50s and 60s. Ruth obviously played well before that. But I think the ball park was the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:52 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:

A couple, tree tings:

:lol: :lol: Which would’ve been offset by the black tomato cans he would’ve faced and pushed their shit in .

Baby Ruth couldn't hold Josh Gibson's jock.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
HawaiiYou wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

-Dan Bernstein

I do listen to him on a regular basis and I didn't understand this quote either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Crick Ramp wrote:

-Dan Bernstein

Everything is racist. Dan Bernstein is an idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:

A couple, tree tings:

Babe Ruth wouldn't make a major league team in this era or would just be an average talent is probably what Bernstein would argue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

DAC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

-Dan Bernstein

I do listen to him on a regular basis and I didn't understand this quote either.

Doesn't this mean there are better ways to evaluate a player and using long-time stats (i.e. being a racist) is not?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
Crick Ramp wrote:
Beardown wrote:

A couple, tree tings:

Ruth barnstormed against the best black players of his time and he fared very well according to those who witnessed it. Regardless of race, he was clearly the most talented or one of the most talented baseball players of his time. If Ruth were playing in the eras which followed his generation he would have access to much better physical training and nutrition, which would aid him in competing against supposedly more talented ball players.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Correct. If he was the best in his era, he would have been one of the greats in any era.

Christ, he hit more HRs than other teams did.

Yes, it was different in the 1920s, Bernstein. The game was different. We get that. But if Ruth was born in 1998, he would be good in this era. He had superior talent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Correct. If he was the best in his era, he would have been one of the greats in any era.

Christ, he hit more HRs than other teams did.

Yes, it was different in the 1920s, Bernstein. The game was different. We get that. But if Ruth was born in 1998, he would be good in this era. He had superior talent.

Bernstein argued a few weeks back that the 3rd best WR's on NFL teams would be stars on teams in the 80's and 90's. He read an email from a Walter Payton fan who said he loved in his day as the best RB, but he wouldn't be more than the 10th today. I believe he said similar things about NBA players, and while he won't come out just say it, I don't think he thinks that Jordan would be more than good player in today's NBA, certainly not elite or best of all time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Old Old Yankee Stadium (not the 1976 remodeled version) was hard to hit HR's in for Righty's.

It was often said that if Joe D didnt play in Yankee Stadium, he would have had hit close to 500 hrs in his career. Of course if he played in old Municipal stadium in Cleveland, he wouldn't have even hit 300. So it evens out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm 

Do I have to show the picture of Dick Butkus towering over roquan smith after Bernstein said Butkus was too small to play in today’s game?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

The top 4 sports players of all time are obvious to me. There could be a debate about how you rank them but here's my list. Ironically, the top 4 cover all of the 4 major sports in America.

1. Babe Ruth

2. Wayne Gretzky

3. Michael Jordan

4. Tom Brady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:17 pm 

It is pretty cool that the GOATs in every sport are obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Do I have to show the picture of Dick Butkus towering over roquan smith after Bernstein said Butkus was too small to play in today’s game?

Roquan looks undersized.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nardi wrote:
It is pretty cool that the GOATs in every sport are obvious.

You still get people arguing that Bobby Orr was better than Gretzky. The new hip thing to do is to suggest that Ovechkin is better than Gretzky and will pass his goal record soon (assists and points are untouchable, Gretzky would lead in points if he never scored a goal).