It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Ok..so there is nuance here. And I know this could go in any of the existing Bernstein threads but I know people at the station at least scan their show boards. Maybe not Bernsie but certainly some at the station.

I don’t think Bernstein is rooting for all sports to fail. But he is certainly actively rooting for the institution of college football to be blown up. He loathes college sports. And I’m some cases for valid reasons. But there is no way one could listen to his opening segment of today’s show and not recognize 2 obvious points: he is actively hoping that CFB doesn’t play and two he truly relishes the opportunity not only point out all “perceived missteps” but he truly enjoys piling on and also using COVID to then launch into long held issues he has with the NCAA and various conferences, coaches, ADs, etc.

Again, not saying he doesn’t have valid points, at times, since the NCAA can be such an easy target, but this is generally what people who say the media is rooting for sports to fail are referring to. Not just the message of the media but the way in which they communicate the message.

Dan derives obvious enjoyment from bashing CFB and the NFL and the MLB.

Old news to some extent I bet it. But this is why the criticism exists and why people who even may align with him politically PTFB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Don't listen to him. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:48 am 

vitoscotti wrote:

Lazy response.

And kinda not the point of the board.

Any other words of wisdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
What I think most of them want, is to have their "I told you so" victory lap while at the same time, having some sports to cover. They have to know that no sports for an extended period of time is going to be bad for their job prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:45 am 

Phrric victory if it happens. If there is no football this fall the Score will have an existential crises and the #1 head on the chopping block is a high paid host who couldn't hold the lead in either drive time slots.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: John's
It's a microcosm of the liberal mindset that is cheering on COVID in country...they celebrate cases, deaths etc. They want failure. They want the virus to win. It's sickening.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
most people live life like they're on the internet nowadays.

they HAVE TO be proven right and the HAVE TO make sure everybody knows they were proven right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Caller Bob wrote:
It's a microcosm of the liberal mindset that is cheering on COVID in country...they celebrate cases, deaths etc. They want failure. They want the virus to win. It's sickening.

What's sickening is the right wing response to this virus. This country is getting what it deserved by electing a shitstain president and all the other conservatives across the country.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
DAC wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

What's sickening is the right wing response to this virus. This country is getting what it deserved by electing a shitstain president and all the other conservatives across the country.

Trump derangement at it's finest.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: John's
DAC wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Seek medication.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
DAC wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

it's blowback from all the elitists telling 'us peasants' on how to behave and it's their way or death when they themselves have proven they dont know shit about the virus to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Crick Ramp wrote:
Ok..so there is nuance here. And I know this could go in any of the existing Bernstein threads but I know people at the station at least scan their show boards. Maybe not Bernsie but certainly some at the station.

I don’t think Bernstein is rooting for all sports to fail. But he is certainly actively rooting for the institution of college football to be blown up. He loathes college sports. And I’m some cases for valid reasons. But there is no way one could listen to his opening segment of today’s show and not recognize 2 obvious points: he is actively hoping that CFB doesn’t play and two he truly relishes the opportunity not only point out all “perceived missteps” but he truly enjoys piling on and also using COVID to then launch into long held issues he has with the NCAA and various conferences, coaches, ADs, etc.

Again, not saying he doesn’t have valid points, at times, since the NCAA can be such an easy target, but this is generally what people who say the media is rooting for sports to fail are referring to. Not just the message of the media but the way in which they communicate the message.

Old news to some extent I bet it. But this is why the criticism exists and why people who even may align with him politically PTFB

I have a theory that he was bullied by "townie-types" whilst he was a young college student off at Duke.

The vitriol with which he addresses all things rural has a birth somewhere, and, for my money, I am betting that is it.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Caller Bob wrote:

I think they really don't understand the ramifications. Just for example, if Chicago lost the housewares show for one year or Vegas lost CES for one year, those things would be huge economic disasters that would cause all kinds of negative repercussions right down the line. But we are losing so many economic engines/drivers all at once that it's difficult to even fathom just how destructive it will end up being. The idea that government can just print money and legislate its way out of all this is preposterous.

Curious Hair wrote:
WE CAN'T DO THIS!

Well, we did. And we're gonna live with the fallout.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
FukNuggitt wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

I have a theory that he was bullied by "townie-types" whilst he was a young college student off at Duke.

The vitriol with which he addresses all things rural has a birth somewhere, and, for my money, I am betting that is it.

Much of Dan's bigotry is derived from his hatred of the working class. His classist ideology can sometimes be disguised as regional prejudice--since he aligns himself with an urban professional-managerial class that seeks to gentrify cities to the point suburban homogeneity--but its roots are economic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:48 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

I align with left wing politics BUUUUUUTT also recognize the coverage is crazy.

My point with the thread is Dan...like others... is using this moment in time to pile on politically and it literally is rooting for things to fail.

Dan is rooting for CFB to fail with this because he wants the institution as a whole to fail. I’m less concerned with whether he’s correct or not and am just pointing out why some believe that members of the media are in fact rooting for sports to fail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm 

I hate to admit this, but he's not wrong about wanting CFB to fail. As a former diehard fan, the economics have gotten as profane and repulsive as many of the fans.

40MM locker rooms and 200MM training facilities should never have become the increasing norm. Or stadia that are now little more than palaces of excess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
vitoscotti wrote:

</thread>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
I hate to admit this, but he's not wrong about wanting CFB to fail. As a former diehard fan, the economics have gotten as profane and repulsive as many of the fans.

40MM locker rooms and 200MM training facilities should never have become the increasing norm. Or stadia that are now little more than palaces of excess.

Philosophically, I don't disagree with that. But with everything that is happening right now, there is a lot more to it. You have college towns where a huge part of the economy is based on football. It's just another destructive reaction to a problem that isn't nearly as serious as was believed back in February.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:35 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Philosophically, I don't disagree with that. But with everything that is happening right now, there is a lot more to it. You have college towns where a huge part of the economy is based on football. It's just another destructive reaction to a problem that isn't nearly as serious as was believed back in February.

This is a good post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:37 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

</thread>

I have listened a lot, a lot less, but I still have an interest in what 670 personalities have to say. I just do.

So I listen on occasion and when compelled make a thread.

What say you? Anything relevant?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No, the virus has just shown how many are reliant on the backs of the fallacy of a "student athlete" (edit: in a revenue sport). And exposed the hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
DAC wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Dems have NO ONE TO BLAME BUT THEMSELVES. The ARROGANT ASSSSS of Hillary her supporters allowed Trump to win. Take your medicine....and NO, I am not a Trump supporter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The same people who complain about the extravagant cost of university education are typically the same people who think college athletes are being exploited as free labour. Big crossover between those two groups.

And lets not forget that the vast, vast, vast majority of student athletes dont play football or baseball. Who here is really upset that we're giving athletes who excel in sports like wrestling, tennis or fencing an opportunity to parlay those skills into a chance at getting all (or at least part) of a $100k+ value education on the house?

But whatever, the decision has been made. Womens sports? RIP. America's success at the Olympics? RIP. The impetus for high school students to push themselves in sports other than baseball and football? RIP. Liberals killed all of it for no reason other than they could.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pm 

Gotta love the generalizations going on. Libs. Dems... it really not about that.

Fuck both parties. Anyone who throws a dart at a “party” is equally as responsible as the party they are attacking,

Both sides are fucked and corrupt.

And who really aligns with those choices in lockstep? Real question

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:57 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Gotta love the generalizations going on. Libs. Dems... it really not about that.

Fuck both parties. Anyone who throws a dart at a “party” is equally as responsible as the party they are attacking,

I remember being eighteen years old.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Crick Ramp wrote:

Lots of people I know. On both ends of the political spectrum. They think I'm horrible because I'm not reflexively on their side 100% of the time without thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:01 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

I remember being eighteen years old.

Ok....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:11 pm 

You know if you want to deliberately ignore the point of my post so you can make some half-baked dorm room philosophic comment about how "the parties are just, like, the same...man" then just dont reply.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:14 pm 

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I guess you’re just smarter than me.

Carry on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I guess you’re just smarter than me.

Carry on

My point was that we had a system that encouraged people to do things that weren't profitable. College athletics, until now at least, encouraged student-athletes to pursue what they found intrinsically valuable without forcing them to find extrinsic motivation for making the sacrifice that comes with being a student athlete. I found there to be tremendous value in that, and if it meant some student-athletes didnt necessarily receive compensation commiserate with the value of what they created on the field (basically just football and basketball this applies to) that's OK.

For everyone one football or basketball player it exploits, the system support(ed) ten college athletes to pursue a scholarship in a sport very few people care about against any sort of financial good sense. That's gone now. And people cant stop dancing on its grave.